View Poll Results: What shall we research after Trade/if we can't reach trade?
Feudalism 1 5.56%
Horseback Riding 1 5.56%
Iron Working 0 0%
Masonry 2 11.11%
Mysticism 0 0%
Seafaring 0 0%
Writing 1 5.56%
Horseback Riding - The Wheel 1 5.56%
Horseback Riding - Polytheism 0 0%
Masonry - Mathematics 0 0%
Writing - Literacy 1 5.56%
Writing - Literacy - Republic 3 16.67%
Writing - Literacy - Republic - (Trade) - Banking 2 11.11%
Masonry - (Currency) - Construction 0 0%
Mysticism - Masonry - Mathematics - Astronomy 1 5.56%
Mysticism - Writing - Literacy - Philosophy 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 18, 2002, 17:31   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Secondary research target.
We are now aiming for Trade, after Map Making. But as that is one way only we'll need to decide what to aim for after that, so that we hopfully always will be able to select a tech.

Open for 48 hours. Try to vote for options with as many parts as possible, so we can pause this voting for some time.

Right now we are a bit before the game, but Science polls can take time, and we need to keep it one step ahead of the game to keep it going.
Old February 18, 2002, 18:08   #2
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:45
I want horsies and chariots

Shade
Old February 19, 2002, 06:07   #3
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
what is your suggestion oh great minister of science?

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old February 19, 2002, 07:13   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
On behalf of the paranoid isolationists, I favour Pikemen. Best defense ancient coinage can buy!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 19, 2002, 07:29   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I suggest that we go in a scientific direction, which makes any option including writing a good option.

Regarding defense right now I think we are quite save where we are. It will take some time before our island will be threatened, but I leave the final suggestions for that to our defense minister.
Old February 19, 2002, 08:58   #6
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Regarding defense right now I think we are quite save where we are. It will take some time before our island will be threatened, but I leave the final suggestions for that to our defense minister.
I agree with our science minister,there are no immediate treads from other nations.(I don't see the arrival of a huge foreign landingforce in the comming 10-15 turns)Barbs...is something else...
To counter this possible tread,I would first go for units with move 2(to explore faster) and after this go for diplo's they are ideal for defence vs barbs (bribe-> kill)
-->So I can also live with a scientific path.

Shade
Old February 19, 2002, 09:42   #7
Zealot
King

I voted Masonry, so we can build the Pyramids, so our empire can grow!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old February 19, 2002, 10:22   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 14:45
SSC! Ast-ron-o-my! SSC! Ast-ron-o-my!

I just love Copernicus' Observatory...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:36   #9
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

This start to lok very interesting. And I have the final desicion in case of a tie.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:51   #10
Zealot
King

Ah, but if there is a tie between those multiple paths, you can't untie them by picking the whole path! You will just pick the first tech, and them make another poll for future research!

Don't forget that in 12 voters, if 3 vote for a multiple path and are the winners, the other 9 might not want it ever! But because they have their votes scattered, they weren't paying much attention wether they should unite against/for a specific path!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old February 19, 2002, 12:03   #11
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I know exactly how to evaluate things.

I'll count the vots for each thech (not part) and from that make the desired path. Riight now it looks as if it will be Writing - Literacy
Old February 19, 2002, 12:13   #12
Zealot
King

No, wrong! Right now it will be Mysticism! The combo Mysticism-Philosophy has 3 votes! If the Writing-Literature combo ties with the combo previously stated, THEN you will untie between either Mysticism OR Writing!
And we move on to a new poll!
Old February 19, 2002, 12:34   #13
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
No, wrong! Right now it will be Mysticism! The combo Mysticism-Philosophy has 3 votes! If the Writing-Literature combo ties with the combo previously stated, THEN you will untie between either Mysticism OR Writing!
No, It will be Writing - Literacy. Republic has 1 vote, Banking 2 votes, and Philosophy 3 votes Gives a total of 6 votes that all involves Writing - Literacy, compared to Mysticism, that only was 4 votes.
Old February 19, 2002, 12:59   #14
Zealot
King

I'm really sorry to say this, but then you should stop putting more than one tech in the same option. Because the way I see it, if the people wanted writtinh, then the option 'writting' should be voted.
I understand that paths are good to give the people a notion of what we could get ahead in some techs. But if this is to be played democraticly, then we should vote for one, and only one tech at a time.

This will prevent science lobbies!
Old February 19, 2002, 13:00   #15
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
And BTW, I stated before that the order of the techs in the combos doesn't have to be in the same order as they shall be resarched. If a combo wins I'll do a Poll on which tech to start with, and if that tech can't be selected we'll start with the other. If it is too little time to do a poll the start tech will be selected based on other poll otions for the techs in the combo. For a combo to be defined as winner (Full way) it would need >50% of the votes.
Old February 19, 2002, 13:09   #16
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
I'm really sorry to say this, but then you should stop putting more than one tech in the same option. Because the way I see it, if the people wanted writtinh, then the option 'writting' should be voted.
I understand that paths are good to give the people a notion of what we could get ahead in some techs. But if this is to be played democraticly, then we should vote for one, and only one tech at a time.

This will prevent science lobbies!
The reason why there are paths is that the polls thake time, and we need to be a bit ahead, and if you just want writing, then vote writing, The combined votes for writing will be counted including paths. To be able to run this 48 hour polls I need to use paths. I know how to evaluate it. As the people votes for an otpin including tehs they want it is okay to count each vote. By voting for a path with mor then one option you say that you want any of the techs in that path, and therefore your vote can be counted for each techs in the path. So if a path itself doesn't get enough votes to be fully selected to follow, only parts of it will be followed, down to the lowest tech. Did I say 50%? well, that might change. I've not had any hard time deciding the winner yet, but I'll do mmy best to make it fair. If fair invloves haveing >50% of the votes that will bre in, otherwise it will not.
Old February 19, 2002, 13:44   #17
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 14:45
Quote:
I agree with Gramphos. We are already (2400bc) at 7 turns per tech. If we find our lone target tech in a hut, or acquire it from a neighbor, we would end up polling for techs every few turns. The game would drag on for too long. With a target, there is more leeway to actually play the game at a pace that keeps people interested - and participation is key to this sort of game working!

Once we start finding more huts and AI civs, we will likely need a secondary target, as well.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 19, 2002, 14:17   #18
Zealot
King

Ok. I didn't know that the tech advance was being that fast. Good work then, mr. President!

About the techs, then, stop putting just one tech for us to pick!
Old February 19, 2002, 14:27   #19
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Ok. I didn't know that the tech advance was being that fast. Good work then, mr. President!

About the techs, then, stop putting just one tech for us to pick!
Then people would complain about that their way aint followable.
Old February 19, 2002, 14:55   #20
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Then people would complain about that their way aint followable.
Huh?
Explain better, please!
Old February 19, 2002, 15:00   #21
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Well, if someone for instance just want diplos, and then want to go full military tech, should I then not have a path with writing, and the rest military he should not be satisfied with the options. As the number of possible combinations are way beyond 16 I can't make just paths, or I'd maybe be able to cover one tech path. To have all ways open single level researches should therefore be an option, but the more the paths applie to the users, the better.
Old February 19, 2002, 16:59   #22
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 15:45
I voted Writing-Literacy because I didn't see the -Philosophy so my vote would have actually gone to the -Philosophy.

Florida Voters
Old February 19, 2002, 17:22   #23
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by MBloomIII
I voted Writing-Literacy because I didn't see the -Philosophy so my vote would have actually gone to the -Philosophy.

Florida Voters
Well, it doesn't really matter, if the -Philosophy part doesn't get many more votes I ca'nt force to follow it. If I count your vote it would have had a third of the voters, which is much, but the republic voters are also some. If the trend doesn't change draticly during the next 24 hours our secondary target will be Literacy, with Mysticism or Masonry as backup (they might still change). Note that the backups would only be followed in case of that nither the Primary, nor the Scondary target can be reached.
Old February 20, 2002, 19:21   #24
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

From the results I read that 61% of the people want to get Literacy. I'll post a follow up poll, on wether we shall stop there, or continue to one of the targets.