Old February 18, 2002, 22:52   #1
zlandar
Settler

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Propose calvary changes
I think calvary/tank units are simply too overpowered in Civ, even after the postpatch changes. I rarely use infantry except for garrison duties and don't even bother with artillery. A realistic and balancing change would be to cut the offensive effectiveness of these units by 25 or even 50% when attacking units in terrain that restricts mobility- jungle, hills, mountains, forests, and especially cities. Historically mounted/tank units are much less effective because you take away their major attribute: mobility. It's easy to think of the multiple historical scenerios in where mobile forces failed in areas where they are forced to fight in close quarters. That's the reason every army needs infantry, to root out other entrenched infantry in cities or other fortified terrain. Giving artillery an extra shot during defense would be a nice bonus worth actually making these currently subpar units. Just some food for thought.
Old February 19, 2002, 02:38   #2
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 15:46
I think you mean "cavalry".

Christ was crucified on "calvary".

You are generally not wrong. My idea has always been (going back to Civ I) for Combined Arms attacks from a true Army - not the "army" Sid gave us.

By that I mean, cavalry attacking riflemen ALONE will have little success in reality, but combine the attack with the effects of other arms - infantry and cannon - and it will be more effective. That is the way it was in the Napoleonic Wars, for instance.
Old February 19, 2002, 06:46   #3
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 16:46
I vote yes
Good idea, zlandar.