Old February 19, 2002, 07:57   #1
colfran
Settler

Local Time: 20:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New strategy? surely not
A long game, I am Egyptian, up against mainly the Greeks. The English and French are now very quiet.

Rome was the other power, on a huge random map. The germans are also very quiet.

It is 1974 and the Greeks suddenly attack me. the game is regent level.

I have 25 ICBMs stockpiled and 6 tacnukes.

I have hit them very hard with my ICs and the Greeks are now finished, the rest of the world will be no problemo. There were no return strikes, I got the lot.

Is it really as easy as all that? Why the Greeks attacked conventially when they must have known I had ICs is a mystery.
Old February 19, 2002, 08:10   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's probably (like in earlier games) that aggression is increased the closer you get to the end date, or the closer you are to winning by spaceship etc. Which version are you playing?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 19, 2002, 11:10   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:47
Probably the AI 'figured' you were unlikely to use the nukes. Were there any other nuclear powers in the world? From the sounds of this it seems the AI needs to be a lot more careful when attacking a nuke capable nation.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:37   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:47
Or maybe they thought you were going to use the nukes and did a do or die first strike hoping to eliminate them. Either way it was poor judgement.
Old February 19, 2002, 13:31   #5
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:47
I don't know why firaxis says the AI won't like you if you use nukes. I use them all the time and the only ones pissed are the ones I'm hitting.

This one's gots yer name on it Alex!
Old February 19, 2002, 18:39   #6
colfran
Settler

Local Time: 20:47
I was using 1.16. There were other nukes around, I'm sure the Greeks had them as they had the technology and resources necessary. the Germans also had them but didn't use them even though I was overrunning their cities conventionally. I saw them blow up as I occupied German cities.

The whole point of my attack on the Germans(in alliance with the Greeks at that time) was to seize aluminium reserves.

The AI must be a nuclear wimp.
Old February 19, 2002, 19:59   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Be happy you don't get what you're wishing for. The Zulus and the Romans use nukes when they have them to launch sneak attacks. Not cool at all!
Old February 19, 2002, 23:26   #8
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:47
I went to war with england some time after 2050. Everyone was doing future tech and I felt like going to war. Well, the turn after I razed one of liz's cities, she sent about 10 ICBM down my throut. Luckaly, I had strag def wonder, so only 6 hit me (that's a little more then 75% misses, don't ya think?). Anyway I lost big time. I lost everything in about five turns.
Old February 20, 2002, 03:24   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I went to war with england some time after 2050. Everyone was doing future tech and I felt like going to war. Well, the turn after I razed one of liz's cities, she sent about 10 ICBM down my throut. Luckaly, I had strag def wonder, so only 6 hit me (that's a little more then 75% misses, don't ya think?). Anyway I lost big time. I lost everything in about five turns.
Well Thrawn... if she launched 10 and 6 hit then 40% missed not 75%. Are you sure she didn't launch more ICBMs?