Old February 20, 2002, 09:38   #1
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 14:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pamplet to the Aztec People: Welcome to America
NOTE: This game was played on a Standard Earth map with corrected starting positions:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=40678
Thanks to anyone who had any part of making that map, it give me a
very memorable game the first time I tried it

Manifest Destiny - A history of the Americas
--------------------------------------------
Forward:
Before you dear reader is all that is accepted as true about the history
of the American Continent in this great day and age of 2003. While, some
of this may, in fact, be more folk lore than fact it is at least what the
average American would be taught during his youthful studies. It is our
hope that with this guide's help, all of you in these "annexed territories"
may indeed eventually earn your american citizenships and put your troubled
pasts behind you as you join the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

The beginnings, the stuff of legends:
The beginnings of the American Nation are from a time long forgotten in the
distant past before the old and new worlds were even known to each other. It
is generally accepted, however, that Washington was the first settlement
in all of North America, of course, the citizens of Salmanca still dispute
this claim. The early years of American history were a time of peaceful
expansion, and true to the self proclaimed prophesy of manifest destiny-the
belief that our nation would one day span from east to west coast, our country
eventually spanned the bulk of the central north american continent. To
the north, then much as today, was a group known as the Canadian Iroquis with
their capital at Salmanca. The american people have always been friends with
the Iroquis nation, though less involved in foreign affairs. To the south,
in the regions now around the american "mexico city" was a group of warlike
savages known as the aztecs...many of you readers may in fact consider yourself
aztecs still. Such is to be expected, but not accepted. Likely, once history
is taught to each of you, those opinions will subside and your natural place
as american citizens can begin.

The middle ages:
The middle ages in America were marked by a few key events, notably the americans
discovered the Republic and have been governed as such ever since. (Despite the
claims of the Iroquis to have actually taught it to us!) Perhaps as important an
american galley (no not iroquis, banish the thought) made its way to asia by way
of the iroquis alaskan province and contacted the old world. It is at this point,
that real recorded history begins. The world world, as you likely know is made up
of many cultures: The barbaric germans which control much of asia and scandanavia.
The english who rule their home island and parts of greenland. The babylonians who
were exiled to australia after defeat by the Persians. The Persians who rule much
of southern asia. The french who control paris in europe, parts of asia, and the pacific
islands near australia. The romans who rule southern europe and northern africa. The
japanese who rule their tiny island and parts of asia. And finally the zulu's who rule
southern africa proudly but ignorantly. From the very first contact, our wise leaders
noted that the "old" world was in constant conflict, attributed primarily to the japanese,
the zulu, and the germans. We wisely chose to abstain from these conflicts, however,
your ancestors the aztecs did not. Nor did the iroquis, however, they were generally
pulled in on the side of the cizilized countries, not as pawns of the zulu's and germans.

It was also during this period of time that america's colonial holdings, south america and
eastern australia was founded to gather important strategic resources. Perhaps, as
important as anything else, these resource colonies (actually 2 cities in australia,
though they say Sydney actually was founded by the babylonians and revolted to join us,
and 4 cities in the southern part of south america) The iron, and later uranium and
oil gathered from these colonies has been imensely important to america's wealth. Though
not america's only source of iron or oil...its known the american economy and military
thirst for vast supplies of both and exhausted 4!! of its own iron supplies (actually 2
were taken from aztec lands in the first war) and its own oil supply near houston.

The iroquis/aztec war:
Circa 1500 ad, war broke out between the aztecs and iroquis. The american nation
perfectly divided these two powers, and both sought to move their troops through the
soil of america. Although america didn't take sides directly, it is known that she
influeced the outcome of the war heavily by giving a right of passage to the more
civilized iroquis. Which directly resulted in the aztec capital of old being burned
to the ground by their army, and the city the american's call "Panima" (though it still
bears an incromprehensible aztec name to the iroquis living there) falling to the iroquis.

Mexico City, the naval center of america, was founded just miles from the ashes of
the former aztec capital to help "police" the region. The city is one of only two
cities which function as a canal from the atlantic to pacific oceans, the other is
of course "panama". Both cities also block access from the north and south american
continents by land, a fact which stopped the iroquis war cold in its tracks and spaired
your ancestors from their full wrath. Which was later repaid with treachory.

The first aztec war:
War broke out in the 1700s when aztecs signed a trade embargo against us with the
germans. Despite what your leaders taught you before, it was not over the iron
mine around the city of Rio de Janero (american name). The war was short lived,
10 infantry divisions and 4 artillery secured Rio, and your weak leaders sued for
peace.

The babylonian/aztec alliance (the second war):
In the year 1988, the beginning of the end came for the aztec people. Understanding
the causes of the war would take a degree in political science, but in layman terms
your people can understand, the aztecs signed a mutual protection pact with the australian
babylonians who then attacked the french. The french, desperate for our help, agreed
to key concessions (the terms are not that important) which resulted in our tank divisions
based in Sydney to attack and conquer all of babylonian australia (supported heavily by
our pacific fleet). The war was over in just 3 years, but the aztecs foolishly declared
war on us for attacking their "allies". Once the babylonians were dealt with, the
american tank divisions supported by our atlantic fleet quickly ended all resistance
in the former aztec lands of south america. As you know, your government has taken
cowardly exile on a pacific island to avoid our continued wrath. Though not beyond
our reach, we have decided to show mercy on them. You however, american subject, are
not so lucky.

Having now been informed of the current state of affairs, you are to renounce your
aztec citizenship and join the american republic as a citizen, or report to the
iron mining camps for duty until you change your mind.

Signed,
Jim Smith, governor of the aztec provinces, advisor to Lincoln

A meeting of the American Adivors, 2020
---------------------------------------
President Lincoln looked about the room in agitation, he was obviously not pleased. He
didn't like being told no.

"Gentlemen, what do you mean we can't reach alpha centauri by 2050.", Lincoln said.

The science advisor spoke first, "Sir, we need more funding. There is no way we will
discover the needed "lasers" and "synthetic fibers" by 2050 with our current level
of funding."

"There is no more money, sir. We are already in the red, and likely will have to actually
cut our science budget in the next five years." The trade advisor spoke, obviously
a bit fearful.

"No money! We control the largest nation on earth! How can there be no money." Lincon
was obviously quiet adgitated.

The science advisor was obviously ready for this and spoke with a sly grin, "Sir, ive
taken the liberty to analyze our commerce reports. I know how we can get the funding
we need." He pulled out a piece of notebook paper and handed it to Lincoln. "We simply
cut funding for the navy and tank divisions of the military, sir."

General Scott, up until this point barely listening choked on his coffee. "Sir, we can't
do that. We'll be defenseless!"

"Not true, Im only proposing we cut offensive military funding. Our infantry, and a few
tanks for a mobile defense force will remain.", quipped the trade advisor Wesley.

"Sir, the only true defense is offense....look at the aztecs. They was heavily defended
by infantry and our tanks and bombers cut through them like butter. True, we suffered
some losses of tank divisions, but overall it was easy. If we do this, I can't be held
responsible." Scott, was obviously agitated.

Lincoln finally spoke, after glancing at the plan drawn on notebook paper. "I don't think
this drastic of a cut is a good plan. We'd need to cut 75 divisions to raise science
even 10%. What you have here, will probally put us on alpha centauri by 2060, if we still
exist to launch the damn thing." He stopped to pause and let that sink in, the others
obviously afraid to interrupt, "However, I dont think these cuts would put us in danger
by any means, remember we are the only nation on earth with access to more than 2 strategic
resources, much less all of them. Well I guess we lack horses (the room laughs). And it
is true, that a well organized army of tanks backed with air cover could beat our infantry
homeland defense forces...but lets keep in mind that no one else on earth even knows
how to build tanks or bombers just yet, though Ive heard rumors that the germans are on
the verge of aquiring flight." He paused again, "still, I dont see how cutting our
military is the answer, we still wont land on alpha centauri in time."

The culture advisor interrupted, "Sir why is it so important we land by 2050 anyways? I
may of missed a meeting while I was surveying the aztec and australian provinces."

It was quickly responded to by the science advisor in an annoyed voice, "because if we
don't do it by 2050, we'll look foolish in front of the whole world." The culture advisor
was obviously confused (knowing the rest of the world was backwards and couldnt fly
20 foot off the ground much less go to the stars), but let it go.

Lincoln again spoke, "I think what we need, if we are done with the interruptions", stops
to glare at the culture advisor, "Is not a cut in military spending but an increase. It
seems to me that our space program was a wasted effort. We are much more likely to be
able to destroy germany in 30 years, thereby taking out the worst threat to world
peace, than to get to another star. Besides, I believe if we ally with france, england,
and rome to do this, it will pay off when that UN thing you kept talking about (points to
the culture advisor) is finished in a few years. I want plans made for this for
tommorrow's meeting." He turned and walked towards the door, "Oh and I only need to see
you General Scott at tommorrow's meeting, I won't be needing the advise of the rest of
you until we are ready to figure out how to govern asia." He promptly walked out leaving
the group, except for the general who had long since returned to sipping his coffee stunned.
Old February 20, 2002, 11:24   #2
wervdon
Prince

Continuation

Meeting with General Scott
--------------------------
It was mid-afternoon, yet Scott was still drinking his coffee when Lincoln entered. The
meeting had been scheduled for morning, but Scott had requested an eight hour extension,
which Lincoln granted. Lincoln didn't look ready to give much more though.

"Mr. President, welcome to the office of defense." Scott nodded at his two aids, which
was quickly and acknowledged by their prompt and silent departure. "I believe the
report i've prepared for your pleasure during the extension you granted me speaks
for itself." He then handed Lincoln a binder marked top secret. Lincoln opened it
without so much as a word and began to read:

The army divisions of American Republic:
40 infantry stationed throughout the nations holdings as defensive forces.
2 swordsman, stationed as a defense force in south america.
1 warrior stationed as shore defense outside of Havana.
25 tanks, 19 of which are stationed in north and south america, 6 in australia
4 artillery units, stationed in south america
6 cruise missiles, stationed in Houston
4 tactical nukes stationed in north america
3 transports, 2 in mexico city, 1 in australia
4 carriers (4 bombers each), 2 in australia, 2 in mexico city
5 battleships, 3 in mexico city, 2 in australia
3 destroyers, 2 in mexico city, 1 in australia
4 nuclear submarines, 2 in the atlantic, 2 in the pacific (not armed with nukes)
7 workers, stationed on various continents
3 airports can airlift from North America to Australia at a rate of 1 tank per year.
We are not currently producing any divisions.

Army of the German Monarchy:
5 workers
5 pikeman
24 longbowman
16 rifelan
22 infantry
4 artillery
No station information is available, but as the german empire is connected via a rail
network, such isn't pertinent anyways.
Production at the moment is unknown.

Abe looked up from the report and started pacing. "General, how is it you know so much
about the German Army?"

"I took the liberty of having an operative of the CIA sent to Berlin and infiltrate their
military headquarters last night, sir. The delay today was getting the report back. The
operation was a complete success, but we lack the funding to...", the general was cut
off.

"You realize, if you'd been caught Bismark would of declared war.", Lincoln said with a
stern but unreadable expression.

"I thought that was the idea, sir.", the general said obviously not concerned.

"Yes, well I do have an election coming up in 2 years...", Lincon started.

"Thats why I didnt ask permission, sir.", the general replied. Lincoln just responded
with a nod.

"Well, make sure you don't give that operative any more tasks. He's wrong about the
rail network. They have an extensive one, but the only resource they have available
since the last french war is oil, some of their more remote cities are only connected
by road.", the president stopped to collect his thoughts.

"Well sir, Im not so sure this is going to be an easy win. From the looks of the report
they have at least one infantry in every city, and rifleman in most others. Of course
all 22 infantry could be in Berlin, we have no way of knowing. Perhaps just as important
is that we have no way to relocate our armies in a timely manner. I suggest we don't
attack with our australia divisions, however, as that would leave australia without a
sizable defense force and our resource supplies vulnerable."

Lincoln only nods.

"I actually believe, its best to build 2 more transports, fully load them with tanks from
north america, and send them backed up with the mexico city navy. At the same time,
every north american city should begin building more tanks, except for Houston and
Los Angelos, I believe they should build ICBMs." The general was cut off.

"ICBMs? Do you plan to use nuclear weapons?", the president looked concerned.

"Well sir, if things go badly....I also think we should load our tactical nukes and have
them ready. We should keep them close to home though in case the Iroquis turn on us."
Again, General Scott was cut off.

Lincoln only said, "We arent really planning on a total victory, general. Ive been told
the UN will be complete in Washington in 2037. If a vote was held today it'd be us against
the germans. In 2037, I want it to still be us against the germans. You should inflict
some pain, but not cut them out totally until after the vote. Im planning on having our
allies vote for us. They wouldnt normally do this, but I believe with a choice of us
or the germans....well its an easy choice."

"What if they just don't participate, sir?", the general asked.

"If they abstain.....then Ill be upset, and we'll be having more of these little talks.",
Lincon paused, "Of course, I doubt you could conquer the world by 2050...." Lincoln
stopped. "Not that 2050 is all that significant of a date.....its just important to me,
being the end of my allowable term in office and all. Im sure my successor could do just
as well."

"I still think the nukes would be a good option to have on the table, sir. We wouldnt
use them unless desperate of course.", the general said.

Lincon nodded, "You have my permission to order any units you wish. Do not fire a nuclear,
or even conventional shot, until I give the clear. Also, Washington is devoted to the UN,
you must not interfere in its production. As for the transports, I do not believe you
need as many as you think. Im going to make arrangements with the english or french or
maybe even the romans for right of passage, we can build up our forces before declaring
war and attacking. When we do attack, it will most likely be the mid 2030's and in as big
of an alliance as I can arrange. Your task for the next 10 years will be to build up
our forces in the region and plan this attack. You are not, however, I repeat not to
harm germany to the point that its not up for a vote in the UN against us. Keep that in
mind with what troops you send, they will be primarily for keeping our allies in one
piece, and maybe taking 1 or 2 key german cities at most....after the vote we'll exterminate
them totally of course." Lincoln concluded and walked out the door without waiting for
a response. The general just sipped his coffee.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:14   #3
wervdon
Prince

End of the Road, the memoires of Lincoln

The war with germany occurred in 2036 (1 year before the UN),
as planned the english allowed us use of their land (right of
passage) to stage the attack. We attacked with support of 3
battleships, 2 destroyers, and 3 fully loaded carriers in the
english channel. Our forces numbered 15 tanks and 1 infantry.
Berlin fell the same year the UN was built, and soon became an
airbase to move in supporting units.

The UN vote did not go well, it was inconclusive as no one would
ally with me against germany (despite some of them already
being at war with them *boggle*) Seeing my last hope of a
successful end to my career bashed, I ordered the complete
destruction of the german empire. General Scott went to oversee
the european armies personally.

Bismark was executed in 2063. The celebration that year in
Washington was the last time I saw General Scott. We discussed
how he'd been right over a cup of bourbon for me and a glass of
coffee for him. He returned to Berlin to see to solidifying our
position that same night. He was killed in what followed.
The hard won peace was short lived, in 2070 the treachours
romans declared war with no warning and for no reason, they
had iscovered mechanized infantry and tanks while we warred
with the germans for 50 years. Their attack was devastating and
all the land we took from the germans was quickly layed to waste
or occupied by filthy roman troops. My response, the only
possible response, a full scale nuclear strike, 12 ICBMs and 4
tactical nukes. At least, Ill know the romans will be glowing for
centuries to come. The iroquis too, as they declared war after
the first ICBM hit, and the 4 tactical nukes went their way in
response.

The result of that day, the entire world declared war with me,
and I was steadily losing ground, cuba, seattle, boulder...all fell
by 2076. No one would even hear my envoys.

The silver lining, my nearly complete spaceship...with the advent
of lasers in 2076, the last component could be begun...4 more
years....only 4 more years.....

The journal entry stops here. History records the end of the
american empire as 2077.

--------------------

Afterward by Chief Iron Dove, Leader of the Iroquis republic. The
president's memoires end here, but the story of the dastardly
american tyrants does not end there. Our war pressed on, and
indeed he nearly got to launch that spaceship. The french and
romans took Australia, while we took north america. South
america was under attack by the zulu and our combined forces.
Indeed, the alliance was a full success. We took washington, in
the year 2080. Just as we approached the city, we saw their
spaceship launch. A few of our cruise missiles quickly dispatched
it, however, we believe Lincoln was aboard running from the
horrors he's caused on earth. More of our people die every year
from his cowardly attack, and its worse in Rome. Soon, the last
of the American resistance in South America will be gone, and
this horrid chapter in human history will close. The american's
did leave us one noble achievement, however, in Washington we
found the UN. And in a vote held in 2080, the Iroquis became the
leaders of the world for our leadership in the anti-american
alliance of 2070. Shortly after, Elizabeth of England and
Tokinawa of Japan were executed for not partipating in the
alliance, the only countries not to declare war on Lincoln for his
atrocities.

NOTE: The game crashed in 2076 (oddly my zone alarm come up
with a warning about allowing civ3 to access the local network,
and I got a critical exception, oh well) I choose not to continue
as the outcome was pretty obvious anyways. Space in 4 years or
complete anhilation within 15 years.....

Last edited by wervdon; February 20, 2002 at 14:36.
Old February 20, 2002, 15:25   #4
The Hun
Settler

Nice story. Did you not have any MPP's when Rome attacked? Did the German territory have good resources? Rome must have seen a ripe opportunity to attack without provocation.

Good strategy. Too bad your allies didn't go along with you on the vote...

Do you think you would've had a chance minus the nuclear response?
Old February 20, 2002, 16:30   #5
wervdon
Prince

No MPs. I may could of beat Rome still. Their initial assault actually did leave me with 1 city in scandavia (probally cause I had 8 tanks in it :P I just ignored it for the story purposes though) Nuking was more fun though :P

As for the vote, what actually happened was by 2037 when the UN was done, the french/german war had eroded germany enough that the iroquis were actually my competition and they had good relations with everyone. It was something like 3 votes for me (counting me), 3 for them (counting them), and 3 abstains. The next vote during the german war was basically the same.

As for the attack, I actually had something of a warning, they demanded wines and I told them to get lost I guess I underestimated them, I didnt realize they had about 20 modern armor units :P Soon as I went to war with germany, every other civ made peace with them, and obviously went in hyper research and trading mode. By the time I noticed, every last civ had the exact same set of techs (I tried trading with each of them). Even Japan was caught up who had been in the middle ages, they went from wanting me to trade them banking to fission in 30 turns :P Serves me right though, in my last game I did the same thing to babylon I met mid-evil isolated japan north of them, and gifted them with every tech I knew, knowing they'd attack babylon first cause it was so close :P Id already realized trying to keep tech secret from the AI (especially post 1.17) is a waste in effort Only way to do it is keep a world war going :P Which was what happened in this game, until I took out one of the two catalysts (germany) for the world war
Old February 20, 2002, 18:37   #6
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great story and a great game. I can't even imagine my games going for that long. I'm finished at the lastest in the 1900's. Sounds like there is a lot of fun in the late stages.