Old February 20, 2002, 14:19   #1
stevenjbrown
Settler

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rage!
Civ3 arrgghhh!

A few rants about Civ3 (bear with me)

1. The starting locations of civs is utter pants! Regardless of whether the culterally linked starting locations is turned on or not why the hell do I always end up boxed in by another civ! It makes little difference if I'm playing in islands or continents or how many civs I choose, I always end up seeing that hated little border after I've sent a warrior only a few squares! Arrghhh. This even occurs when I'm up against only one other civ. WITH ALL THE WORLD TO CHOOSE FROM WHY DOES THE STUPID COMPUTER PUT A CIV RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! Where is the fun in that?

(hit post by mistake! D'oh)

2. The F***ING combat engine!! Rubbish. Its not random at all. Try it, wait until one of your units dies then reload the game. It will die again and again every single time! No randomness in this at all. The program has decided the combat result for that turn and it never changes. I've noticed how the first unit or two die in a battle then deliberately waited a turn until the computer 'decides' that I'll have favorable combat results this turn! Also the program 'knows' that it will win or loose a particular battle and reacts accordingly. I've seen destroyers deliberately targeted by caravels because the program knows it will get a win out of it! I've seen units hold back from killing my one hit point left warriors because the result THAT turn will be a loss! Utter pants!

3. Cheating AIs! Why the hell would the Zulus send a ship all the way round my island to attack my weakest defended city? They did not know it even existed (no spies yet or map exchange) and yet they deliberately went there, bypassing my other cities! Also they arrived on a turn when they would be guaranteed to win the resulting combat (see 2.) Arrgghhh. I've also seen a unit travel over land DIRECTLY to my newly founded city and conquer it. Again this was in about 3000bc way before spies and map exchange! The damn persians went straight there! Bloody cheats!

4. Pollution! I hate it. And you can't even automate your workers because the dumb f***ers always try and build mines over your grassland and plain squares. THE C**NTS!!

Ok. I'm getting really annoyed with this game. It's just gone beyond the annoying level which makes me not want to play it anymore.

Come back Civ2 all is forgiven!

Rant over.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:29   #2
Minuteman
Warlord

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

You know what, you're right. How dare Firaxis perpetrate such a heinous crime against an unsuspecting public by releasing this game!

We're such a silly lot, wasting our time pursuing Bin Laden when the real criminals are in the home offices of Firaxis!!

Thanks for saying for me what was really on my mind all this time, but was too timorous to say for myself. I'm beholden to you.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:44   #3
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman
Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!

You know what, you're right. How dare Firaxis perpetrate such a heinous crime against an unsuspecting public by releasing this game!

We're such a silly lot, wasting our time pursuing Bin Laden when the real criminals are in the home offices of Firaxis!!

Thanks for saying for me what was really on my mind all this time, but was too timorous to say for myself. I'm beholden to you.

Minuteman, You the man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Newbiejbrown
4. Pollution! I hate it. And you can't even automate your workers because the dumb f***ers always try and build mines over your grassland and plain squares. THE C**NTS!!
Newbie.....why does it never happen to me then? Did you know you can fix all this with the editor. That's why there's an editor, to EDIT the game the way YOU want it to be. Stop complaining about things like that and bring up real problems about the game. There are enough as it is, dont make up any. Even more if you have unfounded opinion. Or maybe the editor is to much complicated for you, maybe you should try playin a game like Solitaire or Free Cell...

Quote:
Originally posted by Newbiejbrown

3. Cheating AIs! Why the hell would the Zulus send a ship all the way round my island to attack my weakest defended city? They did not know it even existed (no spies yet or map exchange) and yet they deliberately went there, bypassing my other cities! Also they arrived on a turn when they would be guaranteed to win the resulting combat (see 2.) Arrgghhh. I've also seen a unit travel over land DIRECTLY to my newly founded city and conquer it. Again this was in about 3000bc way before spies and map exchange! The damn persians went straight there! Bloody cheats!
Do you know a game where the AI doesn't cheat? I dont:
-Starcraft, AI has a map hack for sure
-CS bots have wall hacks
-Max payne, at high levels it takes forever to kill an enemy and only one bullet for him to kill you
-Need for speed, Grand Prix, nascar, all the AI have Catch ups from medium and up
And I could go on and on.

And you know what, the harder the level, the more it cheats, so you better stop playin or get used to it.

Spec.

Last edited by Spec; February 20, 2002 at 14:59.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:49   #4
Minuteman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

Minuteman, You the man!

Spec.
Well, thanks for noticing.

After the fun I had here yesterday, looks like you're the only person who hasn't put me on his ignore list yet.
Old February 20, 2002, 14:53   #5
Antonin
Chieftain

Re: Rage!
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenjbrown
Civ3 arrgghhh!

1. The starting locations of civs is utter pants!.....

2. The F***ING combat engine!! Rubbish. Its not random at all.....

3. Cheating AIs!....

4. Pollution! I hate it. And you can't even automate your workers because the dumb f***ers always try and build mines over your grassland and plain squares. THE C**NTS!!....

Ok. I'm getting really annoyed with this game. It's just gone beyond the annoying level which makes me not want to play it anymore.....

Rant over.
Daddy! Look at me! I've pooped in the bathtub again! Give me some attention RIGHT NOW!

Old February 20, 2002, 14:55   #6
Minuteman
Warlord

Re: Re: Rage!
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonin

Daddy! Look at me! I've pooped in the bathtub again! Give me some attention RIGHT NOW!

Old February 20, 2002, 15:05   #7
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonin

Old February 20, 2002, 15:19   #8
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Civ3 arrgghhh!

1. The starting locations of civs is utter pants! Regardless of whether the culterally linked starting locations is turned on or not why the hell do I always end up boxed in by another civ! It makes little difference if I'm playing in islands or continents or how many civs I choose, I always end up seeing that hated little border after I've sent a warrior only a few squares! Arrghhh. This even occurs when I'm up against only one other civ. WITH ALL THE WORLD TO CHOOSE FROM WHY DOES THE STUPID COMPUTER PUT A CIV RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! Where is the fun in that?

(hit post by mistake! D'oh)

2. The F***ING combat engine!! Rubbish. Its not random at all. Try it, wait until one of your units dies then reload the game. It will die again and again every single time! No randomness in this at all. The program has decided the combat result for that turn and it never changes. I've noticed how the first unit or two die in a battle then deliberately waited a turn until the computer 'decides' that I'll have favorable combat results this turn! Also the program 'knows' that it will win or loose a particular battle and reacts accordingly. I've seen destroyers deliberately targeted by caravels because the program knows it will get a win out of it! I've seen units hold back from killing my one hit point left warriors because the result THAT turn will be a loss! Utter pants!

Ok. I'm getting really annoyed with this game. It's just gone beyond the annoying level which makes me not want to play it anymore.

Come back Civ2 all is forgiven!

Rant over.

OK. Let's rumble.

1. If you have Civ starting only "few tiles" away from you then you are on a small map with many civs. It maybe related to the "culturally linked" starting location setting. Most likely it's because of your settings or you're making it up (just a little?).

2. The results are random, but the random number is saved with the game, therefore you will have the same results when you do the same sequence of battles. This is a feature. But the computer does know where you live and sends this information to the Firaxis commando squad, so please be carefull. Sleep in mommy and daddy's room for a few days just to be safe.

3. Maybe the computer had a map of your area from another computer player. Maybe it's the first wave of the Firaxis commando team.

4. If you hate pollution than you obviously never played Civ2 and Shift-A will automate your workers and they will not change any previously built improvements.

All in all I think your best course of action is to ask Mommy for a new computer. Or maybe you could READ THE MANUAL!
Old February 20, 2002, 15:20   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
Civ3 arrgghhh!

1. The starting locations of civs is utter pants! ...

2. The F***ING combat engine!! Rubbish. Its not random at all. Try it, wait until one of your units dies then reload the game. It will die again and again every single time! ...

Go play your civ2. These points you bring up have been gone over many, many times in the past.

(1) You playing on a small map? The distance (editable) grows with larger maps. Not bad on HUGE.
(2) YOU Cheat! The numbers are random, just pre-ordained when you start your first city. If you want to cheat to get different results, do things DIFFERENTLY.
(3) The AIs know where ALL your units are, ALL the time to help make up for how dumb they really are. Makes it so you have to be prepared, though you can even use this to YOUR advantage. Get over it. Read some Strategy forum (or play Civ2).

Sorry, I'm posting in a foul mood, usually beneath my standards. Rant begats Rant.
Old February 20, 2002, 15:28   #10
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
stevenjbrown

hehe i see you've met the civ3 welcoming committee

Quote:
1. The starting locations of civs is utter pants!
while the civs do seem to start close they usually don't start right on top of me...i'm unsure about this

though you can change it in the editor

Quote:
2. The F***ING combat engine!! Rubbish. Its not random at all. Try it, wait until one of your units dies then reload the game. It will die again and again every single time! No randomness in this at all. The program has decided the combat result for that turn and it never changes.!
you're correct, the seed number for the random number engine is predetermined, they did this to prevent people loading and reloading the game until they got the desired result...but as for the combat engine not being random at all, that's a new one most people post that it is too random (ie it's a toss up between tanks and spearmen)

Quote:
I've noticed how the first unit or two die in a battle then deliberately waited a turn until the computer 'decides' that I'll have favorable combat results this turn! Also the program 'knows' that it will win or loose a particular battle and reacts accordingly. I've seen destroyers deliberately targeted by caravels because the program knows it will get a win out of it! I've seen units hold back from killing my one hit point left warriors because the result THAT turn will be a loss
more than one person has commented that the AI knows the seed, if it does that would be a really bad cheat (hehe the computer would basically be a reloader)

Quote:
Cheating AIs! Why the hell would the Zulus send a ship all the way round my island to attack my weakest defended city? They did not know it even existed (no spies yet or map exchange) and yet they deliberately went there, bypassing my other cities! Also they arrived on a turn when they would be guaranteed to win the resulting combat (see 2.)
while i don't mind the AI gaining bonuses at higher level, the map cheats aren't good, mainly because once the player figures this out they can set up ambushes against the AI

Quote:
4. Pollution! I hate it. And you can't even automate your workers because the dumb f***ers always try and build mines over your grassland and plain squares.
try using the shift-A command to automate them, this should keep them from building over your improvements...as for pollution build the recycling center and mass transit to keep it in check
Old February 20, 2002, 15:44   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

If you remove the mining bonuses in the editor, you workers will never build a mine in your grassland again.
Old February 20, 2002, 15:49   #12
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman

Well, thanks for noticing.

After the fun I had here yesterday, looks like you're the only person who hasn't put me on his ignore list yet.
If I dont put Lib on my ignore list, I sure ain't putting you there. The fact is, I never put anyone on my ignore list. I wanna see what they have to say, may it be stupid or inteligent comments. But yours are truthful AND funny!! I call that entertainment!!

Spec.
Old February 20, 2002, 17:40   #13
Worthingtons
Prince

'Originally posted by Newbiejbrown'

Old February 20, 2002, 18:34   #14
Raion
Prince

Play DOS-version CIV, then you can have barbarians wrecking your city right off the bat, other civ's soldiers lodering around so you have no food or production until you defeat them.

Actually some Civ's have better soldiers than others, and you are just not going to easily defeat another Civ in the beginning.

It plays different, it seems different, but still the same, as all the other Civilization version, that is the game.

You, and you alone, as emperor, against the computer.
Beat the computer, for in the future, you may not be able too.

Same premis, same game, technology goes on, and the game is a reflection of the present real world, as much as it is a game to play.

Only since Civ III came out, have some people not known what this game really is -- a reflection of the real world.

It takes a leader to play this game, or find a way to beat the computer.

That's the game, that's why its been around for 10-12 years, that's why people play it, because it is not easy at first.
Old February 20, 2002, 18:37   #15
Minuteman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
.... Or maybe you could READ THE MANUAL!
I dunno Coop. That manual even scared me when I first saw it (236 pages...whew!). It looks like someone's thesis, only much less fun to read.

Fortunately, there were lots of pretty B/W pictures for me to look at.
Old February 20, 2002, 21:17   #16
KoenigMkII
Chieftain

Yes the AI cheats like hell. And replies to your post saying "use the editor"
arn't really helpfull.

The combat engine (especially Naval combat) is frustrating but Firaxis didn't have time to provide all the necessary units to give realistic combat values to each unit. They were on a time limit and it just ran out, unfortunate, but it can't be helped.

There are lots of missing steps, like missing teeth on a cog wheel, that produce jarring results. [WWII Tank unit looses to a Pikeman unit fortified on a hill etc]

Civ III is using whole intergers, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to describe attack/defense values - really they should taken to one decimal place i.e. 1.2, 2.7, 3.4, 4.6 etc

If there were more units, with far more choice over attack/defense values
then the weird results would dissappear. There is also a need for a look up table to apply special modification for special units, i.e. tanks v infantry in a city should be under a noticable dissadvantage.

Having said all that, there is no need to use such foul language [even with £$% etc - we can still read it] on a message board. There could be kids reading the CIV III boards - it is just NOT ACCEPTABLE.

If you go on using it, the moderators [I am not one of them] would be quite justified in a ban.

It only distracts from some of the valid points you did make. Nuff said?
Old February 21, 2002, 10:31   #17
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
Do you know a game where the AI doesn't cheat? I dont:
-Starcraft, AI has a map hack for sure
-CS bots have wall hacks
-Max payne, at high levels it takes forever to kill an enemy and only one bullet for him to kill you
-Need for speed, Grand Prix, nascar, all the AI have Catch ups from medium and up
And I could go on and on.
I'll add Total Annihilation and Rebellion to the list.

To most programmer, leting the AI cheat is easier to program then acutally making them smarter. Could you imagin what would happen if somone made a game that the AI didn't cheat? The world would be in one large riot. Before you know it, our world would be like the book 1984. So heaven forbid some C++ programer acutally sits down and makes a smart AI.
Old February 21, 2002, 12:10   #18
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by KoenigMkII

Civ III is using whole intergers, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to describe attack/defense values - really they should taken to one decimal place i.e. 1.2, 2.7, 3.4, 4.6 etc
The game does use numbers at least to the second decimal, not whole integers, that was confirmed by Soren. You just can't set them in the editor. It only comes into play with the terrain bonuses.