Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I haven't received the test game...?
Old March 2, 2002, 19:49   #62
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
Assur,
One of us is probably using the wrong version of Cradle (I'm not sure if Cradle base is the same as Cradle 12/19, that might be the problem). But before either of us changes anything it might be good to hear if others are having problems with the file. If so, the problem is in my setup, otherwise it's in yours.

Ben,
Perhaps I'm using the wrong email address? I think I've got at least 3 addresses for you. I used the one in your sig, assuming that was your most recent one. If I should use a different one, let me know.
If it's not that, maybe there's a limit on the size of email attachments on your side? Normally you'd expect the mail to bounce back if it's too big but that depends on your ISP, I suppose. Do you know if such a limit exists and what it is (I think the file was about 300kB)?
Old March 2, 2002, 19:55   #63
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Don't know what the limit is... I don't trust the one in my sig very much. Try the one in my profile. Tigger managed to mail me about his scenario like that.
Old March 3, 2002, 00:47   #64
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Sorry Locutus, hard drive not ready. Have to wait at least another week. I will keep you informed.
Old March 4, 2002, 08:36   #65
August Borms
Prince

Stupid Question
We are playing the standard, "Cradle of Civilization 1.2" game right?

Because I tried the test game in all cradle mod setups and found something strange:

It doesn't work in:
Cradle of Civilization 1.2
Cradle Ultra Gigantic Maps
Cradle Seafarers Version 1.0

But it DOES work in:
Cradle Deity Slayer
Cradle Preference of Hextapul
Cradle More Peaceful AI

Also, I have the English version.

I'll wait for the others to reply...
Old March 4, 2002, 12:04   #66
kaan
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
hiya folks

i have to sign out of the game

the reason is that schoolwork has really taken a step up in the last few days and there is no indication whatsoever that the situation will become 'normal' again.

this means that what is left of my spare time i will have to use on my girlfriend instead of in this game
(reads: else she will give me a hard time )

i hope to come back again in the summer after the exams, failing that i will come back when i graduate in november

i wish you all the best of times

klaus
Old March 4, 2002, 17:15   #67
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Assur

-When I open a goodie hut and barbarians come out, a dialog box appears with the text:

"You should consider running this empire as a theocracy.
A government based on faith is a stronger one."

and a button that has the text "input variable %s, used by set function%s is not initialized"
Assur,

I got both of those messages until I reloaded SLIC. That cleared it up on my machine.

-- Hermann
Old March 4, 2002, 17:19   #68
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Assur,

Regarding version, I'm using cradle_allfiles12_20.zip

-- Hermann
Old March 4, 2002, 17:31   #69
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Locutus, Assur, Oerdin, Gazablanca, Wombat...

Hexagonian posted Cradle 1.3, but with this warning:

CRADLE 1.3 AND VICTORY FILES ARE AVAILABLE

Please be aware that there are some file overwrites in this current Update that will affect the 12/19 and BETA 1.3 Update files that were previously posted, so complete any games before unzipping the update into your setup. (including succession games).

I'd like to play 1.3 on my computer and I'd rather not wait until our succession game is finished. Apparently we could still play the succession game under 1.2, but we would all have to have installed 1.3 before selecting 1.2 via Modswapper.

Now, if you guys don't want to have 1.3 on your computers, I'll somehow live without it but since we haven't started yet, this seems to be a golden opportunity.

-- Hermann
Old March 6, 2002, 17:58   #70
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
That would be our fifth succession game or our first Cradle succession game.
Hmm, I wasn't sure if it will be #4 or #5. I can't seem to find any info on game 4 anywhere, when was it played?

Kaan,
I'm sorry to hear you can't participate but I understand 100%. Maybe some other time...

All, I sent this to team 1 via email, I think it would also be useful for team 2 (and possibly interested outsiders) to read:

Quote:
Guys,
Sorry, I've been extremely busy lately with real-life stuff so I've been a bit quiet lately. Although I'm still quite busy, I think the worst part is over, so I hope I'll at least be able to get and keep this game going...

I think the 72hrs rule is not working great yet but for the purpose of this test game it's not a big deal. During the actual game it's important that we try to stick to it as much as possible though. The only one who I haven't heard from at all yet is Oerdin. Oerdin, could you at least let us know you're still alive?

Several people have reported that there is a necessity to /reloadslic once you've received the succession game. I've done some research and asking around and it turns out that this is normal, even the first succession game group (who played with the original game) had this problem. This is rather unfortunate as /reloadslic can have some nasty consequences for SLIC code.
The only code affected by this in Cradle are the Diplomod and the Frenzy code. I'm not sure how badly this will affect the game though, we'll simply have to start playing and find out the hard way...

As far as Cradle v1.3 is concerned, I think several (if not all) of us would like to install it. It's not yet known how stable v1.3 itself is, so I don't think it's wise to play with it yet. However, as you may know, the v1.3 update also makes changes to the v1.2 setup. I've studied these changes and they are mostly bug-fixes and actually only improve the game. The chance of any of it making the game unstable is practically zero. With this in mind and considering that this game might take weeks to play, I think it's reasonable that we play a v1.2 game but with the v1.3 update installed. If anyone disagrees, *do* let us know.

(Ed, adapting files for ModSwapper is extremely easy, it involves little more than saving the files (including gamefile.txt - that's what ModSwapper looks for) under a different name. If any of you ever mod files yourself (for yourself or for public release), I strongly advise you to make use of this - it saves a LOT of problems and requires very little effort. For Cradle we could force each other to choose this approach as well but since the v1.3 update actually fixes some (to me) annoying v1.2 bugs it would improve the game for us all.)

If you also want to participe in a v1.3 game: I want to try to have the second team (which probably won't start playing for at least another week - quite possibly longer) run a v1.3 game, so you can always sign up for that.

If noone has objections, I will start the actual succession game as soon as I hear from Oerdin that he has been able to play the test game successfully, that could be any moment now...

Wouter
Old March 7, 2002, 10:34   #71
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Finally, my computer is back up...Best Buy was supposed to call me, but I decided to call them. Who knows how long it was fixed.

I will be available to start next Monday, as I have a busy weekend coming up, and probaly would not be able to get around to playing anyhow.

I'd prefer running off of 1.3 as the base and then use 1.2 if that is everyone's pref - (the most recent update) - the thing to note is that in the most current update, there are a couple of fixed SLIC files too - how this will affect everyone who has different versions is anyone's guess.

I do not plan on adjusting any of the core files for the time being - the next update will most likely concern the revised DiploMod SLIC that is in the works and any game balance issues in the various endgame options - all of which will be set up as different Modswapper options.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old March 7, 2002, 11:17   #72
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Hmm, I wasn't sure if it will be #4 or #5. I can't seem to find any info on game 4 anywhere, when was it played?
Here is SG-4 (last page). It died last September.

-Martin
Old March 7, 2002, 11:43   #73
Locutus
Deity

Thanks Martin, I don't know how I could have missed that one. So Succession Game V it is... it'll probably start tonight, after I get back from school and work (presuming I'm not too tired)...

Dave,
That's very good to hear. We're still waiting for Boney, so no need to worry about time yet...
As far as team 2's game goes (Succession Game VI), I was kind of hoping to make it a v1.3 game if noone objects and if v1.3 is stable enough. Haven't really had the time to test it though. But v1.2 (with v1.3 installed) is fine by me as well... whatever people prefer...
Old March 7, 2002, 15:11   #74
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Actually, I'd prefer 1.3 too, but it sounded like people were talking about using 1.2...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old March 7, 2002, 17:49   #75
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Either's good
Old March 7, 2002, 22:04   #76
Locutus
Deity

Okay, team 1 (game 5) has begun. See this thead for the summaries.

Last edited by Locutus; March 8, 2002 at 06:30.
Old March 9, 2002, 06:02   #77
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

another week
Hi Locutus

I should be back on line at home by the 17th. Well they told me my hard drive would be ready by then, but seeing is believing.

Count me after then

boney
Old March 9, 2002, 12:50   #78
Locutus
Deity

Okay, Boney, that's good to hear We can wait another week, I think.
Old March 11, 2002, 21:41   #79
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Okay, team 1 (game 5) has begun. See this thead for the summaries.
Locutus, after the recent messages in the Cradle 1.3 thread, I want to make sure I have the right settings before the game reaches me (which is imminent). I had already installed the 1.3 BETA before the test game reached me, and that worked fine. I just want to be sure I haven't screwed myself up with the latest Hexagonal files (victory). Anything I might need to "unscrew?"
Old March 12, 2002, 14:50   #80
Locutus
Deity

It would be best if you didn't install any updates that change anything about the standard Cradle files, but if it's too late (is it?) I think/hope the new Cradle update won't cause any serious problems. Just /reloadslic and play. If you or Oerdin (your successor) run into serious trouble, we'll know where to look.
Old March 12, 2002, 16:38   #81
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
It would be best if you didn't install any updates that change anything about the standard Cradle files, but if it's too late (is it?) I think/hope the new Cradle update won't cause any serious problems. Just /reloadslic and play. If you or Oerdin (your successor) run into serious trouble, we'll know where to look.
Didn't the noble Hex say that only a few standard files were changed? I could put those back before I start the succession...but note that I'm playing the test game (still going because of the interesting position with a bipolar empire) without apparent problems.

I was also wondering about userprofile settings, though: MaxPlayers and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath (yack! worms!) for my turn.
Old March 12, 2002, 18:00   #82
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
Didn't the noble Hex say that only a few standard files were changed? I could put those back before I start the succession...but note that I'm playing the test game (still going because of the interesting position with a bipolar empire) without apparent problems.
You're right. Forgot about that. I'll send you my CRA_buildings.txt in a minute...

Quote:
I was also wondering about userprofile settings, though: MaxPlayers and whatnot.
Just set those to what I proposed earlier (maxplayers=32, etc) and there shouldn't be any problems.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath (yack! worms!) for my turn.
Heh, none of my business, go harass Assur for that
Old March 13, 2002, 01:03   #83
Agusta
Settler

Room for 1 more in round 2 ?
Hello,

I would be very interested in joining the fun for round 2 if you still have room. I will be installing the victory files this week end and therefore would love to see it go to 1.3 BETA if possible for round 2. I also need to change some email settings as I can only receive email right now and not send. I will also have this fixed this weekend.

A few questions:

With the 72 hr rule, how long will the game last?
I have no problem with the 72 hr rule ( I play every night for 4 or more hours now ) but what about vacation time. I take 2 - 1 week vacations a year. Should I have someone else play my turn the week I am gone?

What is the best thing to tell the wife as she is going to bed as I play this crazy game? So far everything I have said as failed and the cold front rolls in. Oh well If I find something that works I will pass it along.

Chuck
Old March 13, 2002, 02:58   #84
Locutus
Deity

Agusta,
Great! Welcome to team 2. I will probably send the test file to everyone right after the weekend (as soon as Boney has his PC in working order) so that should work out perfectly.

Re: vacation - I don't know how long the game will last. I will be on vacation in the first three weeks of June myself, but I'm kind of expecting both games to be over by then. When are you going?

In any case, if for whatever reason someone can't play his turn, the most logical way of dealing with it is that he would simply have to skip it. So if you can't play for some reason, your predecessor will simply have to email the game to your successor and he will play after him.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that last problem though, you're gonna have to figure that one out yourself I hope that won't be too serious a threat to our game

Team 2:
1. Locutus
2. hexagonian
3. Boney
4. Badfuzzy
5. yservel
6. child of Thor
7. Agusta
Old March 13, 2002, 12:14   #85
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Vacation time for Hex
March 22 - March 31, 2002
A week in June - TBD

There is a distinct possibillity that I will not be available that week for playing. Right now we are planning on taking the kids to a hotel in the area for most of the week for swimming, shopping, eating and so forth...

I get a nice tax return this year (err, I mean I get back what is rightfully mine in the first place)

So the game can skip me that week - I am hoping to get something before that though.
Old March 14, 2002, 10:30   #86
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
March 22 - March 31, 2002
Well, normally the 2nd game start should around the 20th, so you'll probably be able to play your first turn before you leave (you'll be the first player after me to get the game) and you should be back by the time you're supposed to play your second turn (6 players taking their turn in less than 9 days? possible but not likely...), so I don't think there should be a problem...
Old March 14, 2002, 19:41   #87
Agusta
Settler

Looking forward to starting
Hello,

The first weeks Vacation will be as soon as the kids get out of school. So I will say about the middle of June.

I have a great wife. I work hard all day. Come home to a great meal. Spend some quality family time, then off to the computer. She reads a lot and it works out great for us. As long as I get some sleep and don’t stay up all night, she lets me be. The 72 hour thing will be fine for me. The only time I would push it to the edge might be if someone emails me the game on a Thursday night. There are some weekends where I am gone Friday and Saturday. I would not get the file before Saturday night but I would send it right out that same night.

One other thing – I will need a list of all the email address that may possibly send me the game file. I do not accept file attachments from anyone who is not on a list. Once I retrieve my email anything left or not accepted is deleted. Having everyone who is playing on the list will make sure everyone can send me the file. May sound a little paranoid, but I have 5 kids – 2 are teens and I have had all kind of junk downloaded onto our machine. Twice I have had hard drive troubles because they downloaded virus. So now they get nothing unless I know where it comes from.

Looking forward to starting.

I just started a new game with the new files so it should be fun.

Chuck
Old March 14, 2002, 19:52   #88
Locutus
Deity

Re: Looking forward to starting
Quote:
Originally posted by Agusta
The only time I would push it to the edge might be if someone emails me the game on a Thursday night. There are some weekends where I am gone Friday and Saturday. I would not get the file before Saturday night but I would send it right out that same night.
Exceptions to confirm the 72h rule can be made, just let us know what's going on...

Quote:
One other thing – I will need a list of all the email address that may possibly send me the game file. I do not accept file attachments from anyone who is not on a list. Once I retrieve my email anything left or not accepted is deleted. Having everyone who is playing on the list will make sure everyone can send me the file.
When I sent out the test game for team 1 I also included a list with all the email addresses and some other important pieces of information, I will do the exact same thing for team 2.

Quote:
May sound a little paranoid, but I have 5 kids – 2 are teens and I have had all kind of junk downloaded onto our machine. Twice I have had hard drive troubles because they downloaded virus. So now they get nothing unless I know where it comes from.
I know *exactly* what you mean, only in my case the kid is a little older (about 40 years older) and my dad
Old March 19, 2002, 06:49   #89
Locutus
Deity

Although I haven't heard from Boney yet, I think it's getting time to at least prepare for the second team to start. Boney, I would like to hear a status update on your hard drive ASAP, if you don't mind.

I don't have the email addresses of Agusta and Boney, either you guys didn't give it to me or you gave it to me but I lost it somehow (not impossible). Either way, please post/PM/email/ICQ/ whatever me ASAP, I need them to send out the test games and to take care of other stuff.

Anyway, I propose that, because it will propably take a few days to set everything up, the order of play for this team is the following:

1. Locutus
2. Badfuzzy
3. yservel
4. child of Thor
5. Agusta
6. (hexagonian)
7. (Boney)

Hexagonian will be on vacation in a few days and Boney may need some extra time to sort his HDD problems out, so I moved them to the back (I could put hex up front but then we'd have to be sure the game can start before he leaves - since I don't have everyone's email yet and I haven't heard from Boney this might be too optimistic). If it turns out Boney has everything in working order within the next few days, it might be more convenient for him and hex to switch position. Feedback on this order is welcome, of course.

New players can still sign up but if you want to join please do so ASAP. Soon the second team will be fixed and a third team can only play if there are enough players for it, while at the moment there are none (I might be persuaded for a third game but only if the settings are to my liking)...

I will play a little test game on Cradle today to see if v1.3 is indeed buggy with MaxPlayer > 0. If so, we will have to choose between playing v1.3 with MaxPlayer = 0 or playing v1.2 with MaxPlayer = 32. I want to hear from team 2 what their preference would be (mine would be v1.2). Also, other preferences are still open for discussion as well. For now, I propose we use the same settings as team 1 except that we play with the Romans (Egyptians and Greeks have been done before and I think some people mentioned they preferred a Mediterrean civ).
Old March 20, 2002, 01:27   #90
Agusta
Settler

Email - mtgsingles@msn.com

I have 1.3 installed so I vote for that. -

I thought in previous posts that was the version for round 2 ??

Chuck