Old February 21, 2002, 18:51   #1
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The German/British Conflict: A Timeline
March 10, 1952: In accordance with an existing mutual protection pact with Mexico (Azteca), the British government declares war against Germany.

April 18, 1952: German panzer troops land in England northwest of Coventry. Their mission is to capture London and knock Britain out of the war.

September, 1952: German troops have conquered Coventry, London, Hastings, Canterbury and Nottingham; all British territory east of the Scottish Mountains is now in German hands. The German cabinet begins to see the strategic value of permanently occupying the captured territory: it would cripple Britain and prevent them from posing a threat anytime in the forseeable future, it would ensure German dominance of the Inland Sea, and it would safegaurd the German north coast. The mission of the invaders is changed from "end the war" to "occupy the land".

November 5, 1952: The British/German war ends. Britain has been humiliated: it's navy has been sunk, it's army is outclassed, and its gold reserves are empty. The national humiliation results in a revolution which brings a hard line British government, headed by Winston Churchill, to power.

November 25, 1952: By a vote of 53-7, the German senate passes the Annexation Act, making all captured British territory part of Germany. The territory is named German England, otherwise known as the East LowLands, or East Lands. The British government (now based in Brighton) refuses to recognize this annexation; they are joined by the Aztec, French and Zulu governments.

December 1952: Germany activates the 4th Army, responsible for protecting and policing the East Lands.

January-March, 1953: Churchill orders British agents to infiltrate the East Lands, bringing weapons and money with them. They make contact with underground British resistance cells.

March 8, 1953: A London bar frequented by off-duty German troops is bombed. Thirty people are killed.

March 10, 1953: A German troop convoy patrolling the outskirts of Hastings is ambushed. Four German troops are killed.

March 25, 1953: In response to the terrorist attacks, the German senate (by a vote of 38-22) approves the English Peace Preservation Act. The act establishes military garrisons in all East Lands' cities, restricts freedoms of speech, press and assembly in the annexed cities, authorizes the interception of mail and the tapping of phone conversations, places the East Lands under the direct control of the Berlin government, creates an East Lands police force to maintain order, and allows police to detain suspects for up to 90 days without charge.

May 8, 1953: In response to continued terrorist attacks in the East Lands, Berlin breaks diplomatic relations with Brighton.

May 14, 1953: Busses in Berlin, Cologne and Konigsberg are bombed. Fifty people are killed. It is the first terrorist attack on mainland Germany. The attacks are attributed to East Land terrorists.

May 15, 1953: Tanks of the German 4th Army bulldoze an English refugee camp on the outskirts of London in retaliation for the bus attacks. Eight people are killed, and more than 500 are left homeless.

May 18, 1953: A spontaneous demonstration breaks out in London to protest the destruction of the refugee camp. The demonstration soon grows to include thousands. They march on the headquarters of the German Security Police, burning it to the ground.

May 19, 1953: English resistance fighters join the unrest in London; the city is in chaos. German troops are being fired upon by snipers; they reply with devestating firepower. Hundreds are killed.

May 22, 1953: English fighters break through the German troops guarding the London city hall. Their leader, Arthur Wellesley, declares that London has been liberated from German occupation, and is now under the authority of the Brighton government. Throughout the day, surrounded pockets of the German garrison are forced to surrender. The Brighton government issues a statement in which they officially announce that London is once again part of Britain.

May 23, 1953: The German cabinet meets in an emergencey session in Berlin. It is decided that the loss of London would result in the destruction of the Annexation Act. The cabinet votes unanimously to order the 4th Army to retake London.

May 25, 1953: After a fearsome two day firefight, tanks of the 4th Army crush resistance in the city of London. Throughout the East Lands mass riots break out in the cities: an open revolt against German occupation has begun.

May 26, 1953: Churchill, ignoring warnings that the British military is not ready, declares war on Germany in response to the "illiegal invasion of London".

May-July, 1953: The German 1st Army joins the 4th in crossing the Scottish Mountains and advancing into Britain. Repeated attempts on the part of Berlin to end the war are rebuffed by the Brighton government.

August, 1953: The German 2nd and 3rd armies land outside Oxford and Brighton, trapping England in a vast pincer movement.

August 18, 1953: The German Defense Ministry (the Pentagon) is forced to activate the 1st Reserve Army to police the captured territory. The reserve activation creates mass protests throughout Germany and forges a powerful German peace movement.

August 30, 1953: German forces now occupy every English city, except Brighton, which is under siege. Protests over the German invasion by France, Mexico, Zululand and other governments continue to arrive in the Foreign Ministry. The war continues to erode German credibility and status abroad.

September 1, 1953: The German Peace Movement organizes a National Day of Peace: a nationally organized series of protests against the war. Riots break out throughout German cities as police duel with protesters in the streets.

September 10, 1953: As German civil unrest continues, the Senate votes 58-2 not to annex any English territory captured in the war. The senate also rejects, by a vote of 45-15, to reject the Civil Unrest Act, which would have allowed the government to crack down on the peace protesters with mass arrests and censorship.

September 15, 1953: Over 5,000 reserve army officers sign a petition stating that they will not serve in any part of Britain, including the East Lands.

September 18, 1953: The German cabinet meets in emergencey session. Mass civil unrest continues in Germany and the East Lands; foreign governments are forming an economic blockade against Germany; the Pentagon is reporting that it does not have enough troops to police all captured English territory; and there is serious support in the senate for a vote of no-confidence against the government. The cabinet decides to make peace.

September 27, 1953: Berlin and Brighton agree to begin peace negotiations in the Iroquois city of Niagara Falls. German civil unrest begins to end, and the international community suspends its economic blockade.

October 25, 1953: Germany and Britain sign the Niagara Falls Peace Accord. Germany agrees to return all territory captured from England in the recent war, to repeal the Peace Preservation Act, and to grant the East Lands autonomy in local government. In return England agrees to end its support for East Land terrorist organizations; both sides agree to meet at a later date to determine the future status of East Land. The English are also forced to agree to a Right of Passage Clause, recognizing the right of the German 4th Army to police the East Lands, but also to enter English territory in pursuit of terrorists.

October-December, 1953: Initial optimism in the East Lands over the peace accord soon meets with reality. German troops still occupy the cities, controlling all transportation and fortifying strategic posts. German Security Police return in force. And German military commanders frequently overrule locally elected leaders.

January 7, 1954: The Pentagon reports to the cabinet that the return of the East Lands to England would seriously weaken German national security. The secret report warns of the threat of a united England, saying that German control of the Inland Sea, as well as the safety of the German north coast, would both be in jeopardy.

January 28, 1954: The German government, over the protests of England, decides to postpone indefinently phase II of the Niagara Falls accord. Phase II would have seen the beginning of German troop withdraw and would have ended with a mass referendum on the East Lands' future status.

February, 1954: Britain begins to once again to support East Land terrorist cells.

April 30, 1954: German Police Headquarters in Canterbury are bombed, killing 84 officers.

April 31, 1954: In retaliation for the bombing, German troops make a coordinated series of attacks on English targets in Canterbury: radio and tv stations, English police stations, and English government buildings are all attacked. In addition, five refugee camps are bulldozed. More than 100 East Landers are killed and 2000 are made homeless.

May 1, 1954: Canterbury civil authorities announce that they will no longer cooperate with the German authorities.

May 2-5, 1954: Mass riots erupt in the city, openly supported by English police. The German garrison is pinned down and eventually forced to leave the city.

May 6, 1954: Germany has lost Canterbury.

May 7, 1954: The German cabinet meets to discuss the Canterbury situation. The situation is grim: if German tanks counterattack, Britain will declare war. If the tanks aren't sent in, the rebellion could spread.

There appear to be few options. Returning the East Lands to England is ruled out; they are to important to German strategic interests. At the same time, fighting a war to maintain control would be costly, both on the foreign and domestic stage. Renewed war with Britain would almost certainly result in mass civil disorder at home, and diplomatic condemnation abroad. It does not help that fighting Britain requires the movement of large numbers of German troops overseas, weakening defenses against foreign invasion.

The solution to ending the terrorist violence is clear: destroy the Brighton government once and for all. Yet the Pentagon continues to maintain that occupying all of Britain would be beyond the resources of the German military and economy, and the senate remains steadfast in its refusal to annex any additional English territory. Indeed, even in the cabinet there is little support for wiping Britain out, but there appears to be no other options. Then the Foreign Minister makes a startling proposal.

May 8, 1954: The German ambassador in Tenochtitlan approaches the Aztec government and asks if they would be interested in annexing English territory. The reply is "yes". The two governments begin secret negotiations to divide Britain.

May, 1954: Canterbury remains in English hands. As the crisis deepens, German troops take advantage of the Right of Passage clause and take position outside every British city. At the same time, the Aztec/German negotiations continue in secret.

May 24, 1954: German troops launch coordinated attacks against every English city, from Brighton to Canterbury. The world condemns the use of the Right of Passage clause to mount an invasion. Mass protests break out throughout Germany.

May 28, 1954: The last British city is captured. The English leaders scramble: some, including Churchill, are killed fighting German troops. Others committ suicide. Still others, including Queen Elizabeth, are allowed to head into exile in France. Those officials responsible for coordinating actions with East Lands terrorists are arrested and returned to Germany for trial.

June 6, 1954: Aztec troops occupy every English city west of the Scottish Mountains. However, Germany maintains rights to oil deposits outside Warwick.

The German/British conflict is over. What began as a modest war winning mission turned into an occupation army and an open wound for Germany. Thousands were killed on both sides, an independent nation was wiped off the map, tremendous property damage was done, the fabric of German societey was nearly ripped apart, and the credibility of the German government abroad was destroyed. The lesson for future German leaders was clear: when you go to war, fight for specific goals, achieve them, and go no further. The German/British conflict would have a lasting impact on future German foreign relations.
Old February 21, 2002, 22:04   #2
curlyboy24
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:53
Great story! I hope you write another one, it made me want to get back to my game!
Old February 21, 2002, 22:45   #3
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:53
I liked this story. It sorta reminds me of a movie called Thirten Days, which is a movie about the Cuban crisis. Or, its probably cause I watched part of it
Old February 22, 2002, 02:26   #4
curlyboy24
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:53
Ya, i liked that movie, after i read your story i decided to finish mine, its called Death of the Russians, its all right, maybe not as good as yours but i try.
Old February 22, 2002, 05:18   #5
PresidentMike
Chieftain

I've got Thirteen Days on DVD. Good movie.
Old February 23, 2002, 10:54   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agreee. Very good movie...

PS: WHy didnt you just crush england from the start, instead of going into a limited war?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old February 23, 2002, 19:16   #7
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Good question. Two main reasons:

1) It's just a quirk of how I play. Unless it's very early in the game, or a civilization has really ticked me off, I don't like eliminating them. Push them around? Sure! Crush their military? You bet! Steal their important resources? Money! But wipe them out altogether? Usually not.

2) I didn't really want to bother. Corruption in those cities would have been high, and I would have been forced to build a whole slew of new units to defend them. Better to just give them over to the Aztecs, who were no threat to me, to administer. Because the cultural borders of the cities in question would be severley reduced, I could (and did) found colonies on top of important resources, allowing me to have my cake (end the headache of English rebellion) and eat it too (milk all those resource goodies).

That foreign minister had a good idea.
Old February 27, 2002, 17:00   #8
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 21:53
Great story!

Quote:
April 31, 1954: In retaliation for the bombing, German troops ....
April 31?
Old March 15, 2002, 06:52   #9
PresidentMike
Chieftain

This was nominated in the story contest, but since it's old (you have to go back 60 days to find it) I thought I'd post and bring it to the top so that those that wish to have a chance to read it.

Last edited by PresidentMike; March 15, 2002 at 12:02.
Old March 15, 2002, 09:07   #10
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Local Time: 21:53
... another good job!
Great story!
Old March 15, 2002, 18:29   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PresidentMike
This was nominated in the story contest, but since it's old (you have to go back 60 days to find it) I thought I'd post and bring it to the top so that those that wish to have a chance to read it.
Good idea...kudos to me for nominating it

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 1, 2002, 23:23   #12
civman2000
Emperor

BUMP because this is in the story contest