Old December 20, 2000, 19:46   #1
FALVES
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More control over units in tactical combat
In ctp2 you still have no control over unit placement on the tactical screen, and you are essentially reduced to being a spectator as the battle unfolds. Watching valuable units die because of seemingly random map placement can be frustrating. Wouldn´t it be nice if we could place our units in a gridded tactical screen (and perhaps the battle itself could be turn-based)?
Old December 20, 2000, 20:16   #2
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I have not played CTP II yet, but I have posted a thread on kind of what you are talking about, look it up, its called: Combat.

It says it was posted by Tim White.
Old December 20, 2000, 20:42   #3
Matthew Hayden
Chieftain

Has anyone here played Shogun; Total War.
It uses a turn based system for most of the game but descends to a full 3D real time tactical battle view which allows you to basically do what ever the hell you like.
I have two ideas inspired by this;

1::Use a 3D view which is based on the tile the defenders are on. This means a different battlefield for each tile type, which would be about 14-18 or something.

2::Use a 2D battleview, like FALVE'S idea, where you choose where to place your troops, whether you want to try to outflank your enemy etc.
Old December 20, 2000, 21:11   #4
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I totally like the idea of a second battle map, I suggested it in my 'Combat' thread. I have not played, Shogun: Total War. or whatever the name was, but I have played, Lords of the Realm II. it is much like what you described, the actual game is completely turn-based, but then once two armies come to meet, then goes into a battle-map.
Old December 20, 2000, 21:26   #5
Rollo Tomasi
Chieftain

I'm not sure about this. This might be a good idea, as long as it doesn't get too bogged down in warfare. I don't want the game to become Panzer Commander-in-Chief. As long as it's optional, and it doesn't take away from improving diplomacy, economics, domestic affairs, etc. it wouldn't bother me.
Old December 21, 2000, 01:27   #6
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Rollo Tomasi on 12-20-2000 08:26 PM
I'm not sure about this. This might be a good idea, as long as it doesn't get too bogged down in warfare. I don't want the game to become Panzer Commander-in-Chief. As long as it's optional, and it doesn't take away from improving diplomacy, economics, domestic affairs, etc. it wouldn't bother me.

Im exactly with you. although I still would really like to be able to command my own battles. If this improvement removes the upgrade of the diplomacy, AI, map, number of civs, etc, then I am like you, leave it out, the AI, diplomacy, units, etc, are much more important then battles screens.