Old February 23, 2002, 19:36   #1
Scientia
Settler

Local Time: 15:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forum View Options
I'm a bit new to web-based forums, so perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious, but I was wondering if there is a way to filter the thread/post view so that only *new* threads, or threads with new posts appear. Also,is there a way to get the sort order to *stick* once it's been set?

Let me explain: I want to see a forum sorted ascending by last post date, and when I open a thread, I only want to see *new* posts. When I'm done reading all the new posts in a thread, I'd like to be able to jump to the next thread with a *new* post.

I'm already using the edit options for showing posts from the last 2 days. I also understand that I can set the sorting options in the main forum display to give the ascending by last post date, that threads with new posts have a red envelope icon and that I can jump to the first *new* post from there, but returning to the forum main page resets everything to the default sorting/view arrangement.

If I use the back button of the browser, I can keep *my* sorting preferences, but the page does not refresh, and I won't see any new posts.

It would be nice if the new posts search allowed you to restrict your search to one forum, and sort the way I have described (perhaps it can, but I'm missing the obvious?)

Also, how the forums decide a post is *new*? Sometimes threads appear to have new posts, but I've already read them, while other threads I've not yet read appear not to have new posts but do. (Cookies are enabled, BTW in case it matters).

Just curious: how does everyone else navigate here day to day?
Old February 24, 2002, 14:39   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Threads appear to have new posts when they do not because when you hit the back bar, the old threads continue to appear.

The ones that appear not to, but do, are there because sometimes when you log off of apolyton, it doesnt log you off until about 10 minutes later.

As for just showing the new posts- you could reduce loading times if you were on Apolyton-lite... then the pages would load fast enough so that it would not matter that you would have to continue going to the main pages.

It is possible to do- I have 28.8kbps and I'm an Emperor
Old February 24, 2002, 20:29   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Forum View Options
Quote:
Originally posted by Scientia
If I use the back button of the browser, I can keep *my* sorting preferences, but the page does not refresh, and I won't see any new posts.
After you have hit the back button, just hit the refresh button to update the page.

Quote:
Just curious: how does everyone else navigate here day to day?
I normally "right-click->Open in new window" all the thread that I'm interested in reading. Then I go get a drink, have food, do something else while the pages all load.
If you click on that down-pointing arrow next to each thread, it will take you directly to the newest post, but doesn't always work properly.