Old February 24, 2002, 14:06   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Magic: The Gathering Online - Anyone Play?
I just swung by Wizards Of The Coast and noticed that they now have a version of M:TG that is played online. I downloaded the guide which tells how to get started and it looks interesting. I haven't d/l'ed the client yet, when I was ready to, the site went down.

Anyone here playing? Do you like it? How expensive is it?

John-SJ
Old February 24, 2002, 19:54   #2
John-SJ
Emperor

Actually, now that I have an account (haven't played yet though) I'd like to add that this might be a good time for anyone interested to check out M"TG Online. Right now the game is in open beta and everything is FREE!

Go to www.wizards.com and follow the links to MTG then MTG online. You'll need to download the client before you can participate. If the d/l is too hard to manage go to the Store locator and find a Premier MTG store where you can buy the beta CD.

John-SJ
Old February 24, 2002, 20:14   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 20:58
Sounds good. Once it stops being open beta, go download apprentice, it serves the same purpose.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old February 24, 2002, 21:58   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I have it, but the server's down at the moment. Probably just as well, I should be going to bed.
Old February 25, 2002, 03:06   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I used to play the regular, non-online version, but not so much these days. I think they messed it up when they changed the rules in Urza's Saga.
Old February 25, 2002, 09:50   #6
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Played the turoials and a practice game a few minues ago, it seems quite good. Shame the store's down at the moment...
Old February 25, 2002, 12:25   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
I've got a ton of cards from the 3rd edition and early expansions. If they've changed the rules its news to me. I'd already stopped playing when they started such silliness as phasing and flanking.
Old February 25, 2002, 14:53   #8
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 09:58
I sold all my cards about the time 6th edition came out. Someone offered me good money, and it was getting boring. The online version may be good. I might download it one of these days.
Old February 25, 2002, 19:44   #9
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
If they've changed the rules its news to me. I'd already stopped playing when they started such silliness as phasing and flanking.
Yeah, I only found out a couple of weeks ago as well. I also though phasing and flanking were bad, but now you get a special phase for attack, with two main phases, one on either side of it. Which, of course, means that you can play two lands during a turn and cast creatures that would normally be second-turn or later in the first turn.

They introduced new mechanics for certain blocks (of three expansions) as well. Some were good, like cycling (pay a certain cost and discard the card from your hand to draw a card) and kicker (pay an extra cost when casting the card to get benefits; for example, there's a creature from the Apocalypse set which is 3/3, but if you pay three life when casting it you put two +1/+1 counters on it), but others were unfair and sped the game up too much, like madness (cast the card for an alternate cost at a time when you would discard it from your hand; many such cards have a madness cost of zero) and flashback (cast the card from your graveyard for an alternate cost).
Old February 25, 2002, 21:25   #10
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President

Yeah, I only found out a couple of weeks ago as well. I also though phasing and flanking were bad, but now you get a special phase for attack, with two main phases, one on either side of it. Which, of course, means that you can play two lands during a turn and cast creatures that would normally be second-turn or later in the first turn.
Not quite true - you can still only play one land per turn. However, the dual main-phase does allow you to save casting creatures and the like until after you see if you need mana for any instants in combat. It adds some surprise to your attacks as well, since your opponent doesn't know if you'll pull something out to block him with.
Old February 26, 2002, 01:15   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
That's getting really confusing
Old February 26, 2002, 02:42   #12
Mr. President
Emperor

Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old February 26, 2002, 08:18   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Having attack as a separate phase rather than just being an activity that could happen once at any point during the main phase just sounds like formalising what was already the case.

Cycling, kicking, flashback and madness sound like gimmicks but I suppose you have to have some gimmicks otherwise people will spot that its just another 2/2 creature or 3 point damage spell.

When I decide I need the money I'll have to go through the pain of sorting and indexing all my cards. They're in no state to be sold at present.
Old February 26, 2002, 15:30   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Cycling is quite useful sometimes, especially if you're playing a swarm deck, and end up with more creatures than you need, and not enough lands or something.
Old February 26, 2002, 15:41   #15
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

140 MEGS ??

No way
Old February 26, 2002, 18:35   #16
Mr. President
Emperor

There's so many cards now (I heard more than 6,000) that I could understand them running out of ideas for new ones (as in new types of creatures, etc) and needing to invent new mechanics to try and keep the game interesting. I find many of the new ones rather half-baked, but that's just my opinion.
Old February 27, 2002, 19:22   #17
Richard Bruns
King

I have been playing the online game for several weeks now. It is fun, when it works. I have a few half-decent decks. Get in while you can, because once the beta stops they will be charging full price for the e-cards you buy online. Obviously I'm not going to pay that kind of money, but I'll play for free while I can.
Old February 27, 2002, 21:53   #18
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Shall I found an Apolyton clan?
Old February 27, 2002, 22:54   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
Charging full price for the e-cards? Sheesh! What a bunch of money grubbing pigs!
Old February 28, 2002, 00:46   #20
John-SJ
Emperor

Full??? PRICE???? SHEESHHH! No way will I pay full price for E-Cards! That's outrageous!

John-SJ
Old February 28, 2002, 11:35   #21
John-SJ
Emperor

Hmmmm, what happens when the beta ends? Do beta testers get to keep their free cards or do they have to start over and build their decks from scratch using purchased cards?

John-SJ
Old March 2, 2002, 21:57   #22
Richard Bruns
King

Quote:
Originally posted by John-SJ
Hmmmm, what happens when the beta ends? Do beta testers get to keep their free cards or do they have to start over and build their decks from scratch using purchased cards?

John-SJ
The server is reset. All our cards go away. Since they have been generous with e-booster packs during the beta test, I have a collection that is theoretically worth thousands of dollars. Yeah right.

And founding an Apolyton clan sounds like a good idea.
Old March 4, 2002, 21:21   #23
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bruns
And founding an Apolyton clan sounds like a good idea.
'Tis formed! Come ye and join!
Old March 4, 2002, 23:41   #24
Richard Bruns
King

In order to join a clan, I have to be invited by the captian. So we'll have to look for each other online. My name there is the same as here.
Old March 5, 2002, 07:41   #25
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Ok, post your names, all ye who which to join. I'll invite you.
Old March 5, 2002, 07:47   #26
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

hmm tricky. I don't appear to be able to do anything unless you are online. Which is a little silly. Give us a shout via PM, ICQ or email when you log on, and I'll come looking for you, unless it's some ungodly hour. (don't bother if my ICQ is offline - I won't be there.)
Old March 14, 2002, 02:25   #27
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 15:58
Played the card game, not the comp game. I prefer the human interaction and such.

Wow, that was an incredibly hypocritical statement for an Apolytoner to make!!