Old February 26, 2002, 00:01   #31
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 15:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was reading today about just how much money the US and private organization spent to help the US athletes better prepare. Over 80 million more than before the prior olympics. The results were overwhelming. Some athletes, (those that got extra assistance) said they finally felt on par with the European teams. During that same time the money spent on Russian athletes was considerably reduced. The results were also predictable.

So look inward before casually blaming everyone else for your own problems.

I still go back to an official release from the Russian Government. "THEY DON"T FEAR US ANYMORE" That kind of atttitude is not going to help athletes perform better.

Hopefully they will make some improvements before the next games. The competition is always welcome.

RAH
Old February 26, 2002, 00:06   #32
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It wasn’t I who started personal attacks.

Imran Siddiqui did you ever hear that someone of the Russians said that it is sucks to be an American?
Old February 26, 2002, 00:09   #33
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Cowards.
Quote:
It wasn’t I who started personal attacks.
Bull****!
Keep it up, and you are toast. If it was just this thread, I might cut you some slack... but you pull this same crap in almost every post you make. So chill, or be chilled!
Old February 26, 2002, 00:42   #34
Serb
Emperor

Oops, forget about this one.
Anyway, the amount of attacks on Russians is a hundred times greater. This entire tread is insult to Russian sportsmen’s and to all Russian people.
Old February 26, 2002, 00:45   #35
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 16:59

Nice try, Serb
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 26, 2002, 00:46   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Oops, forget about this one.
Anyway, the amount of attacks on Russians is a hundred times greater. This entire tread is insult to Russian sportsmen’s and to all Russian people.
Yeah... you did forget...
And are you forgeting the FACT that Russia got CAUGHT cheating... are you denying they cheated????? Why is it an insult to talk about the "facts"... Are you saying that everybody should ignore the FACT that you got caught...
Old February 26, 2002, 00:47   #37
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 20:59
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
So look inward before casually blaming everyone else for your own problems.
Sure, look inward. But the problem is that in this case there is much to be looked at outward.

Quote:
I still go back to an official release from the Russian Government. "THEY DON"T FEAR US ANYMORE" That kind of atttitude is not going to help athletes perform better.
Don't take it so literally. Just replace "fear" by "reckon with", and this phrase will sound correct. I hope you won't deny that the stance of a country as a whole reflects on how its athletes are treated. This is just in the human nature, for much you may want to claim that everyone is equal.

Quote:
Hopefully they will make some improvements before the next games. The competition is always welcome.
I also hope. Now the oligarchs will be obliged to sponsor the sports.
Old February 26, 2002, 01:04   #38
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond

Sure, look inward. But the problem is that in this case there is much to be looked at outward.
sure, just blame it on the french
Old February 26, 2002, 01:10   #39
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
sure, just blame it on the french
No, the French are good people, if somewhat misguided. Unfortunately, some of their women are a little bit hysteric. Blame Canada!
Old February 26, 2002, 01:30   #40
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Upon what evidence do you base this?
Common sense and a little bit of imagination.
Old February 26, 2002, 01:41   #41
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
And are you forgeting the FACT that Russia got CAUGHT cheating... are you denying they cheated????? Why is it an insult to talk about the "facts"... Are you saying that everybody should ignore the FACT that you got caught...
Just for the record:
Not all the facts you think are facts are actually facts.
Old February 26, 2002, 01:43   #42
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Not all the facts you think are facts are actually facts.
While that may indeed be the case... it is a FACT that they got caught cheating
Old February 26, 2002, 01:56   #43
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:

No, the French are good people, if somewhat misguided. Unfortunately, some of their women are a little bit hysteric. Blame Canada!
Don't blame us! To quote Ray Jutkins:

Quote:
Canadians are a simple, happy, child-like people; living in peace and harmony in the perpetual twilight of their frozen land. Crime is unknown in their nomadic villages. They hunt and fish with implements they carve themselves out of the scarce wood they encounter in their wanderings, and many an explorer from our "superior" "sophisticated" society has found comfort and hospitality in their igloos
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 26, 2002, 02:06   #44
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 22:59
And they like something where people fevereshly scrap ice like deranged monkeys in heat and they call it a "sport" - curling to be precise.
Old February 26, 2002, 02:17   #45
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Don't blame us! To quote Ray Jutkins:

Quote:
Canadians are a simple, happy, child-like people; living in peace and harmony in the perpetual twilight of their frozen land. Crime is unknown in their nomadic villages. They hunt and fish with implements they carve themselves out of the scarce wood they encounter in their wanderings, and many an explorer from our "superior" "sophisticated" society has found comfort and hospitality in their igloos
Then what the hell are you doing in figure skating? As paiktis22 pointed out, curling would be much more natural for you.
Old February 26, 2002, 02:37   #46
KrazyHorse
Deity

Figure skating is our traditional mating dance.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 26, 2002, 02:43   #47
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 13:59
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
And they like something where people fevereshly scrap ice like deranged monkeys in heat and they call it a "sport" - curling to be precise.
No, we call that particular sport 'cleaning the snow off the car windows in winter'.

No country is immune from blind, illogical nationalism. Some people take sports far, far too seriously. Countries in general, not just Russia exclusively, use sports as propaganda. Superpowers like USA, Russia and China are not immune. Some would say they are among the worst culprits.

If I am not mistaken some languages do not make the distinction between government propaganda and business propaganda (advertising). So it is with surprise that I hear the Russians decrying the commercialization of the games.

It is similarly surprising to hear of Russians decrying the influx of professionals to the games. The old Soviet Bloc wrote the rules on state sponsored 'amateurs' which forced the IOC to allow other professionals to compete.
Old February 26, 2002, 02:47   #48
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Figure skating is our traditional mating dance.

Finally I understand why the figure skating gold was so important to you.
Old February 26, 2002, 02:50   #49
KrazyHorse
Deity

If we'd lost it would have been four more years before we had the chance to get some again.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 26, 2002, 06:20   #50
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
No country is immune from blind, illogical nationalism. Some people take sports far, far too seriously. Countries in general, not just Russia exclusively, use sports as propaganda. Superpowers like USA, Russia and China are not immune.
That’s what I’m talking about.
USA made politic action from those Olympic Games. From the begging till closing ceremony, all this “Light the fire within”, all those rising of flag, singing of hymn is constant chest pumping. Look everyone, we are super nation. Did any one of you saw on any previous Olympic Games, a rising of flag or singing a hymn of home country on beginning/closing ceremony? To do so is disrespect to others countries. You forget that Olympic Games are the SPORT events, not POLITICAL events. And USA used any means to gain as many medals as possible. If this means include unfair ref’s, all kind of scandals based on doping tests, who cares? It is always possible to proclaim Russians as paranoids who are jealous because they lost the Cold war.
Quote:
Russians has another nice saying- “Kto ishet tot vsegda naydet”. It means- the men who want to find something, sooner or later will find it.
Russian team consisted of about 170 people. Do you heard about any scandal in sports were we was no competitors for Americans? For example why our skate-boards team was not checked a dozens of times as for example skitters? All scandals was about sports were we are the major competitor, it was removal of competitors and it has nothing common with sport.
Old February 26, 2002, 06:31   #51
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

I can't be bothered to waste time translating what you said
I can do it for you.
"Poputnogo vetra v gorbatyuy spinu"- It means if you have not even a small chance to achieve your goal, it does not matter what you gone do, you’ll never achieve your goal.
Old February 26, 2002, 08:43   #52
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
Quote:

May I comment on this. What you mention may be just one of the aspects that affected how Russia perceived the Olimpic Games. It would be very incorrect to reduce it all to this single aspect. The problem is that Russia received an outrageous treatment at this olympiad. The Canadian case alone, even disregarding other scandals, is more than enough to justify the above statement.
IF the Russians really feel this way then get the Russian skaters to hand in their gold medals in protest.
Old February 26, 2002, 08:46   #53
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
And USA used any means to gain as many medals as possible. If this means include unfair ref’s, all kind of scandals based on doping tests, who cares?

Hmmmm... A French judge admits she made a deal with the Russians to trade votes, and some Russians get caught blood doping... If you subsitute Russian instead of USA in the above, you would be correct... based on the facts of what happened

You don't have any "facts" to back up your claim, but the facts do point to the Russians cheating...

What fantasy world do you live in...
Old February 26, 2002, 09:01   #54
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:59
Quote:
You forget that Olympic Games are the SPORT events, not POLITICAL events.
When I remember Olympic games in the time of cold war, countries like USSR and Eastern Germany always treated Olympics not as sport, but political events. OTOH, the western countries did the same, see the boycott of the Olympics in Moscow. Personally I think, Olympics are all: sport, political and commercial events.

Quote:
And USA used any means to gain as many medals as possible.
That is basically, what Olympics are for.

Quote:
If this means include unfair ref’s, all kind of scandals based on doping tests, who cares?
Umm... unfair refs? Are you talking about figure skating, or what? And doping... who got caught? Americans? No.

Quote:
Russians has another nice saying- “Kto ishet tot vsegda naydet”. It means- the men who want to find something, sooner or later will find it.
That is what the bible says too.

Serb, nobody tries to blame all Russians, that would be stupid. And right, the title of this thread is discriminating. But you should try to admit the fact, that 2 Russians got caught. Period. Personally I have no problem with Muehlegg (German running for Spain) getting caught. I like clean sport, and once they were caught doping, they deserved their penalties.
Old February 26, 2002, 09:39   #55
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Don't take it so literally. Just replace "fear" by "reckon with", and this phrase will sound correct. I hope you won't deny that the stance of a country as a whole reflects on how its athletes are treated. This is just in the human nature, for much you may want to claim that everyone is equal.

I also hope. Now the oligarchs will be obliged to sponsor the sports.
I'll give you the translation, that is possible in the context that it was used. It sounded like the Old Russia with it's threatening ways, which sounded silly at the time. So it might have had a different meaning.

I have yet to see any proof that any athletes were treated unfairly.

And I hope they feel more obliged to sponsor.

"Russians has another nice saying- “Kto ishet tot vsegda naydet”. It means- the men who want to find something, sooner or later will find it. " I thought that referred to the old KGB and not sports.

RAH
Old February 26, 2002, 10:44   #56
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

"I hope you won't deny that the stance of a country as a whole reflects on how its athletes are treated."

I deny it. Germany's athletes are treated well and they haven't been belligerent for nigh on 60 years.

In fact, did anybody hear anything about the German competitors? It's a conspiracy!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 26, 2002, 10:46   #57
KrazyHorse
Deity

There's always that little sliver of doubt, though. You know; the one that's saying: "give them the gold before they ask for the Sudetenland".
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 26, 2002, 11:08   #58
Serb
Emperor

The truth is between, as always. Every country dopes, and you know about that. Russians made a lot of mistakes mostly not by sportsman, but by mans who was in charge. Those man were unable to defend Russian position.
Do you really think that Russians do not have doctors in their team, to determinate that a sportsman in not proper condition? Do you really think that team doctors before the contest were unable to determinate that blood test after contests will show doping’s use? What do you think our doctors are idiots or they wanted a scandal?
What about South Korean short tracker?

All yours so called facts are no facts for me, those facts based on brake of rules. The blood tests of Lazutina were made after the same tests were taken from Danilova. It’s a brake of rules. Only one sportsman from every team must be tested. But further, about results of those tests (btw results do not shows the dopes only 0.8% hemoglobin above average) our team was informed only before 15 minutes until the start of the race and our team was unable to make a substitute and was removed from race. From our men skier was took blood for blood test three times more than normal, it hapenns before hour until he run. This test showed nothing, but can you run good if a glass of your's blood was pumped from you? And so on.
You are afraid of competition.
Cowards once again.
Old February 26, 2002, 11:35   #59
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Every country dopes, and you know about that.
No I don't... and just because the Russians do, doesn't mean that everybody does...

Quote:
Russians made a lot of mistakes mostly not by sportsman, but by mans who was in charge. Those man were unable to defend Russian position.
What did these men in charge do... put a gun to their heads to cheat. A person who breaks the rules to enhance their own performance is a cheater... it's that simple. And they got caught red handed. Do you deny that they cheated? Are you that blind?

Quote:
What do you think our doctors are idiots or they wanted a scandal?
Hmmm... they must be. The test results are clear. They cheated.

Quote:
All yours so called facts are no facts for me
That is because you are blind to the truth. They cheated, and the tests prove it. Feel free to bury your head in the sand if you wish.
Your problem...

Quote:
Cowards once again.
Ahhhh... so you resort to personal insults again. It must be because you have no FACTS to back up your moronic position.

Your argument is classic...
We didn't cheat... (The tests prove differently)
You cheat... (No proof)

Old February 26, 2002, 11:37   #60
blackice
Emperor

Quote:
The truth is between, as always. Every country dopes, and you know about that.
Actually in Canada while an individual may chose this route we here have an anti doping additude...

Ben Johnson for example did not come back a hero for his choice in fact Canadians were collectively shamed by it.

Which begs the question how were Russian dope positive atheletes treated on thier return?
“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
Or do we?