View Poll Results: Have you won a game with a defensive strategy (never capturing or razing a city)
Never on any difficulty level 27 36.99%
Never on Regent level or below 4 5.48%
Never on Monarch level or higher 4 5.48%
Yes, once, on Regent level or lower 8 10.96%
Yes, many times, on Regent level or lower 5 6.85%
Yes, once, on Monarch level or higher 5 6.85%
Yes, many times, on Monarch level or higher 6 8.22%
Well, I think I could do with a banana 14 19.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26, 2002, 12:37   #31
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Local Time: 21:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The nearest I have ever come to this was with my last game, but I did have to knock out one fledgling civ early on, in order to completely take over the island I was on. I then had just enough space to play completely defensively towards what was in the end a narrow space race victory. I kept up with larger opponents (many of whom I din't even meet until late in the game) by not really needing to spend on an army. The English sailed over and bombarded me a lot, but never seemed able to put together an invasion force.
Old February 26, 2002, 12:54   #32
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 16:00
I find a good defense is the best way to win. Once you're defense is high, and you are a tech level or two ahead (you have infantry, while everyone else is just working on musket men) there is no way you can loose. At that point goto war, and forfill your Military advisor's dream: "You are right, they are SCUM!".

Old February 26, 2002, 15:01   #33
Selkirk
Settler

Local Time: 21:00
For those getting attacked a lot, how many defenders are you building in your inside cities and your outside cities?

By playing the same game about 10 times, I found that on deity if you have about 3 units per city the computer will leave you alone. 2 in the city and 1 wandering around or holding bottlenecks.

As soon as all the land is occupied (or even slightly before), I will increase the number of units in each border city to 4. 3 defensive and 1 offensive unit.

I always keep the defensive and offensive units at my borders fully upgraded.

In the internal cities, I leave the defensive units alone. Often my capitol has only 2 warriors in it when I get infantry. However, I have about 6 riflemen and two cannon in each border city at that time.