Old February 26, 2002, 15:11   #1
Alynzia
Warlord

Local Time: 21:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
An Idea For The Writers Among Us
An Idea For The Writers Among Us...

Wouldn't it be cool, perhaps just for fun since you couldn't find much support for it, to write a trilogy of SMAC screenplays based on the three books, or even a three season Star Trek type series based on the books, the two stories and the actual game story.

I'm horrifically untalented as a writer so I couldn't do it personally, but if anybody was willing to write some adapted screenplays I think we'd all love to read them.

I'm kind of hopefully setting it as a challenge for someone who likes to challenge themselves.

Just think of the 'Best Adapted Screenplay' BAFTA...

Alynzia
Old February 26, 2002, 18:56   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Interesting idea. But I have no experience on writing screenplays, and English isn't my mother tongue, so problems might ensue.
But, maybe you'd PM me about your ideas in a greater detail?
Old February 26, 2002, 19:13   #3
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 15:03
I'd love to try just for fun to write a screenplay for "Centauri Dawn". I think it would make a fantastic movie. The scene where Lal meets Santiago to ask for the body of his son would make an amazing and very poignant scene on the big screen.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old February 26, 2002, 20:12   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That sounds cool, and if I knew the first thing about writing screenplays I'd be in. But I don't.
Old February 26, 2002, 20:58   #5
Blacken
Settler

Local Time: 16:03
I can write fairly well, and English is my native language...let me just go out and buy copies of the books. I lost mine.
Old February 27, 2002, 10:49   #6
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 21:03
I have some skill as a writer, and would like to give it a whirl, but have not crossed paths with any of the books in my local vicinity. Probably pick them up online.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old March 2, 2002, 03:04   #7
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 17:03
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
... English isn't my mother tongue ...
That hasn't stopped anyone in Hollywood in the last two decades.
Old March 2, 2002, 10:47   #8
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 15:03
I have started writing my "just for fun" script for Centauri Dawn. I am a firm believer that a script that is based on a novel should stay as faithful to it as possible out of respect for the author. So, my script will be extremelly faithful to the book. I also plan to make the ending as poignant and emotional as it is in the book.

Centauri Dawn is just a magnificient story. It is superbly written. And it has powerful themes and ideas such as human nature, survival, idealism. It really touches on the questions like, "could mankind start anew if placed on a new planet or would the tragedy and violence of earth history necessarily repeat itself? The 2 main factions, the Spartans and the PeaceKeepers are great as they are so polar opposites from each other, one representing a very militant ideology while the other representing a very idealistic view. Mike Ely did an incredible job with the story. I only wish it were possible for it to become a real movie. It would be superb.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"