Old December 28, 2000, 18:21   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Improvement Workshop
The way I see this being implemented is:

You pick:
1. Spheres of Improvements
- Conquer
- Build
- Growth
- Explore

2. Sub-Spheres
* Conquer
- Air War
- Ground War
- Sea War
- General War
* Build
- Happy Structures
- Needed Structures
* Growth
- ?
* Explore
- ?

3. Components for each age
* Conquer
- General War
ANCIENT- +20% morale (barracks), +5% skill, etc
RENAISSANCE- +20% morale (barracks), +5% skill, +10% defense (defensive arts training), etc
MODERN- +20% morale (training facility), +10% offense (war industries), +5% skill, +10% defense, etc

Old December 28, 2000, 18:46   #2
hHydro
Chieftain

Heh. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this idea from your previous thread. I thought you might.

It's interesting. I myself loved the unit workshop. It allowed for a great amount of mobile flexibility in the battlefield. The only problem though is it becomes hard to add flavor and style to generic units and I imagine the same would hold true for generic improvements.

I think it might be a better idea to keep the improvements static, but I'm just one voice; if there's a way to make things flexible while still keeping the flavor of the whole 'building your city from the ground-up' part of Civ, then I'm all for it.

Old December 28, 2000, 19:01   #3
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:38
If this is something one suppose to choose within the actual game, i dont like it.

Some people even complain about the clicking the city-area view is too much micro-management (i dont agree, of course).

However, this idea and unit-workshop and social engineering all put together - well, it all adds up in terms of increased city-screen micro-management, doesnt it? Dont forget that some people here play around with 50+ city-empires.

Also, One thing that i liked about Civ-2, was that i always had an exact notion of what each city-improvement actually added to the overal end-result of that city. Clear and simple 50-100-200% benefits. These clear and intuitive connections stands the risk of disappearing if this idea is implemented.

The third problem is about AI-mayors. Why complicate things?
Old December 29, 2000, 05:43   #4
Evil Capitalist
King

That would be a very useful tool from a scenario building perspective, but in a normal game I'm not sure.
Old December 29, 2000, 16:39   #5
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Yep, it would really ruin the magic if it will be a part of the game. Imagine your advisor saying: We need to build a reinessance knwoldge increasing building
mil. advisor: No, we should build ancient building providing +30 defence and +10 attack while having a -10 happiness effect!

Or simply the too general: We need knwoledge!

However, for designing mod's and scen's it's a great Idea.
Old December 29, 2000, 19:55   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, my idea is good for scenario-building and perhaps it should only be included in the Scenario editor for it would confuse everyone too much and add too much time to the game if it was a regular feature.