Old February 27, 2002, 17:48   #1
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lonestar's Rompin' Stompin' Russian Red Ass takes a stroll to Rome.
OKay, I finally picked up Civ3. As such, y'all get to hear my commentary some months late.

The B!tches

-Maybe I've become incompetant at Civ games since I've last played Civ2....but isn't the Tech pathway a tad slow? Hell, I'm in 1929 and I've just now recieved Ironclads.

-Resources. I share(ed) a entire damn continent with only one other Civ. (Rome). There's no Saltpeter anywhere. Coal? Only one place on the Continent and the Roman Remnants have it. Waaayyyyy down on the southern tip.

-Warmaking. In the last conflict, I freaking burned Rome, Pisae, Pompeii and a bunch of other cities to the ground. One would think this would break the back of the Roman Empire, but no, The buggers are still getting soldiers somewhere and still match me on the "Historeograph Score."

-Armies. I got two Great Leaders (Peter and Ivan) so I formed two Cossack armies. I soon built the "Military Acadamy", but....
I can't build Armies there!!

-Culture. I fricking got Culture out my ass. More Roman cities have joined me rather than being conquered. So why isn't my History Score higher?
-----

The Pros

-Still a "One-more turn" game.

-The Wonders. Love 'em. Like the "Small Wonders", especially Wall Street.

-Armies. A good concept, but for reasons mentioned above, they have their own problems.

-Culture. Love the whole "Please, please! We want to join the decadent Russians" schtick for border cities.
----------------------

Conclusion; Not entirely sure if the Patch I downloaded actually worked. If/When we get a XP, I better be seeing some frickin' scenarios and fixes to the problems I mentioned.

Thanks and Gig 'em, Lonestar.
Old February 27, 2002, 18:01   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 22:06
Re: Lonestar's Rompin' Stompin' Russian Red Ass takes a stroll to Rome.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Maybe I've become incompetant at Civ games since I've last played Civ2....but isn't the Tech pathway a tad slow? Hell, I'm in 1929 and I've just now recieved Ironclads.
Hmm, others launch the spaceship in 1200AD. Do you aggressively trade tech with the AI? This may make the difference.

Quote:
Resources. I share(ed) a entire damn continent with only one other Civ. (Rome). There's no Saltpeter anywhere. Coal? Only one place on the Continent and the Roman Remnants have it. Waaayyyyy down on the southern tip.
Like in reality, resources are not spread evenly over the map. You can trade for them, or wage a war. Just like in real life.

Quote:
Warmaking. In the last conflict, I freaking burned Rome, Pisae, Pompeii and a bunch of other cities to the ground. One would think this would break the back of the Roman Empire, but no, The buggers are still getting soldiers somewhere and still match me on the "Historeograph Score."
The histograph is an overall sum from the beginning of the game till the present time. Even an eliminated civ could score higher than you if they were good in the ancient age.

EDIT: Or to be more precise, the width of the graphical stripe lowers, but the score number is still high.

Quote:
Armies. I got two Great Leaders (Peter and Ivan) so I formed two Cossack armies. I soon built the "Military Acadamy", but.... I can't build Armies there!!
You should be able to... but the # of armies is limited, one for every 4 cities. Maybe you've reached that limit.

Quote:
Culture. I fricking got Culture out my ass. More Roman cities have joined me rather than being conquered. So why isn't my History Score higher?
Same like with the histograph.

Last edited by Harovan; February 27, 2002 at 18:11.
Old February 27, 2002, 18:42   #3
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 15:06
If your tech is that slow, it sounds like the patch didn't take. If anything, it's been sped up over the original version.
Old February 27, 2002, 19:13   #4
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 13:06
I have no problems with resreaching tech. In my current game after the 1.17 patch I got to the indutrail age by 1020 AD, I think that is the fast time I have gotten to that era yet. They might be some people that got to the industrail age faster but I dont really know. One reason why your tech progression is if you focus your production on millitary units then you will suffer with lower science rate. One way most people get ahead on science it to build lots of libraries and universities and to tech trade with the computer players, this way you can get techs 4 a turn (which is the fastest you can resreach tech).

With resouces, some times you have everything you need with in your empire and sometimes you dont. You etheir have to trade or go to war with some one who has what you need and take it by force. The map does have one of each resouce for every civ, you just have to find it. Also some resources and hard to see on the map, so you may have coal in your own empire and not even know it because it is so hard to see. With Saltpeter I would not worry to mush about that, when you get into the mid Industrail and modern ages you dont need it any more.

Also too the computer will draft units if it can, that is were they might be getting them. I think it also uses pop rushing too. I find though when I attack a anther Civ, after there intial assulted I have wiped out most of their offensive units, and all they have left are units defending their cities and I usually bumb into an occasional offensive unit. One way to prevent them form making units is to denie them access to the resouces they need to make them.

If you cant build armies in the city with Military Acadamy then there is some thing wrong, maybe a bug.
Old February 27, 2002, 19:39   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:06
Slow on the Tech: I can relate. Same thing happened to me on my first game. Aside from trading tech (generally a GOOD thing in Civ3), you'll have to do research re what improvements/wonders to build. Of course, Commerce (the gold) is king. OTH, Science allocation does not seem to accumulate between objectives, so feel free to reduce your allocation to as low as will not increase your research time. Perhaps 30% will do as well as 60%, and save you loads of cash, to boot.

Army unit: looks somethin' like a leader, in the build que.

Culture: Culture does NOT affect your Score. If you have upgraded beyond what is on the CD, it explains what affects your score on the score screen (F8).