Old December 28, 2000, 05:09   #1
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Make Some Advances Harder To Research
Sorry I haven't been posting much, but my new computer has ensured that Diablo 2 and now CtP2 is taking up all my time.

As soon as I loaded up my first game of CtP2 I realised somthing - how about making some advances harder to research than others? It would be a simple thing to do - in the rules.txt (or whatever) have a multiplier that you can set to say 1.1x to make the advance harder to research. The only disadvantage I see with this is when blind research is turned on - perhaps with blind research the tech to be researched is predetermined and the amount of research is then worked out accordingly.

(I thought I should mention too - I managed to get CtP2 for AUS$50 - about US$25)

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old December 28, 2000, 18:11   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:38
Do they not already have this with the newer techs taking longer to research, or is that merely determined by the shortening of years?

Nevertheless, it is a good idea.
Old December 28, 2000, 18:50   #3
hHydro
Chieftain

I'd like to see a real reason for this. I worry that convoluting this too much might just detract from the gameplay.

Old December 29, 2000, 01:02   #4
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Could you be more specific as to why some techs should be harder to research than others? What would be the gameplay reason?

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old December 29, 2000, 12:52   #5
timfry

I think some techs should be harder to research but not because they are predetermined but instead because of the type of civ that you are.

Let's say that you are a landlocked nation that has no coastal cities, map making should be near impossible. Likewise if your nation is extremely happy as a monarchy than it should be harder to research higher governments. Conversely, if you are a nation constantly at war it should become easier to research the next military advance.

So, I agree with UltraSonix and having advances have different lengths of time to be discovered, it should not be because of a pre-written code against say researching flight.

Old December 30, 2000, 08:17   #6
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:38
I was referring to say the automobile... which in my mind should be easier to research than, for example, the Grand Unification Theory (for illustrative purposes only).

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old December 30, 2000, 08:44   #7
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:38
quote:

Originally posted by timfry on 12-29-2000 11:52 AM
Let's say that you are a landlocked nation that has no coastal cities, map making should be near impossible. Likewise if your nation is extremely happy as a monarchy than it should be harder to research higher governments. Conversely, if you are a nation constantly at war it should become easier to research the next military advance.

Maybe I am wrong, but can't map making be used on both land and sea?

I think this idea could be something good.
Old December 30, 2000, 09:10   #8
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 02:38
Hey,
OK let's say you have no ocean cost...
Do you need seafaring and were should you study it?
This idea starts to sound interesting.

Or discover advanced flight without a single aeroplaneunit built?
[This message has been edited by Jeje2 (edited December 30, 2000).]
Old December 30, 2000, 17:22   #9
timfry

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 12-30-2000 07:44 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but can't map making be used on both land and sea?

Nikolai,

It can, but in the present state map making was only used for ships in the civ games. But it probably could be expanded.

Old December 31, 2000, 02:34   #10
Biddles
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 12-28-2000 04:09 AM
(I thought I should mention too - I managed to get CtP2 for AUS$50 - about US$25)

Where? How? Why? Pleeeease tell me!!

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old December 31, 2000, 15:48   #11
Mo
Warlord

How about making the research time not an exact preset time, but rather adding in a little random element which could lead to advances coming a few years ahead of planned or later than estimated.
Also I think you should be able to not research a tech if it doesn't apply to your country and still be able to later progress up the tech tree. ex the thing with seafaring.
Old December 31, 2000, 18:06   #12
Dom Pedro II
King

I think that EVERY technology should have a required number of points to be researched. The least important will be a small amount, and the most a large amount. The more advanced the tech, the more points required, but its not the kind of thing where it just becomes more difficult simply because the computer makes it harder with each new tech.