Old February 28, 2002, 22:48   #1
bloodysmurf
Settler

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SOREN: A saved game file for you to look at...
Hi Soren,

I remember a while back you asked for an example of poor unit activation sequencing post-patch. I just stumbled upon a good example in my game, so I thought I'd post the SAV file in case it might be of use to you. Just go to the stack of three workers that are on the forest next to my capitol and give one of them an order (i.e. I activated the top unit by right clicking and ordered it to clear the forest). Rather than going onto the next unit, the next unit activated is a worker on a different continent.

Also, just so you know, I've still been encountering the text error where the game calls me "Mr." without anything afterwards.

Thanks for continuing to work on this!

-ollie-
Attached Files:
File Type: zip activation.zip (162.5 KB, 1 views)
Old February 28, 2002, 23:08   #2
Dida
Prince

I would say this bug is hard to fix, because it is impossible for the computer to guess which unit the player wants to activate next.
All I'm asking is an option to turn 'auto activation' off. If the game cannot handle this properly, maybe it should not be doing it at all. Do not activate any of my units, unless they are in being approached by an hostile unit. I will activate them manually.
And please implement the ability to give same order to multiple units. If I have 10 bombers on the same square, give me the option to send them all out to bombard the same target with one single click.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old February 28, 2002, 23:13   #3
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: SOREN: A saved game file for you to look at...
Quote:
Originally posted by bloodysmurf
Rather than going onto the next unit, the next unit activated is a worker on a different continent.
Does it work for any of the workers?

Quote:
Also, just so you know, I've still been encountering the text error where the game calls me "Mr." without anything afterwards.
I think the appropriate fix is to use the Editor to change the "Mr." title to "Sir".
Old February 28, 2002, 23:52   #4
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 14:10
"I would say this bug is hard to fix, because it is impossible for the computer to guess which unit the player wants to activate next. "

I think it could handle it. Just activate the next closest unit would be fine with me.
Old February 28, 2002, 23:57   #5
bloodysmurf
Settler

Soren... one more thing. If you look at the city view for Tientsin (top city on my continent) you can see an excellent example of really bad worker assignment by the city governer. Rather than work the 2food/2shield/2gold tiles, the workers choose the 2food/3gold tiles. As a result, the city has virtually no production...

-ollie-
Old March 1, 2002, 00:07   #6
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 16:10
Quote:
Hi Soren,

I remember a while back you asked for an example of poor unit activation sequencing post-patch. I just stumbled upon a good example in my game, so I thought I'd post the SAV file in case it might be of use to you. Just go to the stack of three workers that are on the forest next to my capitol and give one of them an order (i.e. I activated the top unit by right clicking and ordered it to clear the forest). Rather than going onto the next unit, the next unit activated is a worker on a different continent.

Thanks for continuing to work on this!

-ollie-
thanks...
Old March 1, 2002, 10:37   #7
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 16:10
Quote:
-ollie-
That's not a bug. That's one of your leader's titles in Democracy -- like "Sire" in Monarchy. It's in the editor on the Governments tab of the rules properties.
Old March 1, 2002, 12:52   #8
bloodysmurf
Settler

Re: Re: SOREN: A saved game file for you to look at...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

That's not a bug. That's one of your leader's titles in Democracy -- like "Sire" in Monarchy. It's in the editor on the Governments tab of the rules properties.
Oops, my mistake.
Old March 1, 2002, 13:40   #9
klesh
King

Local Time: 17:10
Yeah I posted a long time ago about that Mr. business.
Why not just add the leader's last name to it? I dont know about Civ3, but in II you just need %string1 or somesuch to get the player's name up in there. 'Mr.' just sounds rather wierd...

-FMK.