Old March 1, 2002, 04:42   #1
Wee Lad
Settler

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Enemy movement
Help please! When in combat my enemy seems to be able to move freely within my territory. My armies are restricted to one or two squares. Obviously I am at a great disadvantage as the enemy can hit towns behind my front-line or behind the towns close to the border... Why is this? Anyone know? And does anyone have a nice tip on how to deal with this situation?
Old March 1, 2002, 04:53   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
When you are within someone else's cultural borders that you do not have Right of Passage Agreement with, you cannot make use of their roads and rails. It seems that you are in 'enemy territory', so while they can make full use of their communication lines, you cannot.

Solution: Take his cities that are producing those cultural borders!

This means that while you are defending your territory (or in neutral territory) you have great advantage. Simulates fog of war, mines, partisans, need to recon, and intelligence help from one's own population, etc. on the tactical level.
Old March 1, 2002, 04:53   #3
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 16:11
As there are no zones of control anymore you can leave some fortified foot units behind with several offensive units. If any enemy tries to do that they will have to first get past the foot soldiers and then they'll be counterattacked by your offensive units. If they try to overwhelm those forces your main stack of units will have to go back and destroy them. If you can't do all that you shouldn't be launching an invasion because you're too weak.
Old March 1, 2002, 06:26   #4
Wee Lad
Settler

Well, I try to use footsoldiers all along my borders. However, when attacked the enemy goes around 'em and attack my cities. And just not the cities closest to the border but cities behind 'em (where I usually have fewer soldiers to defend). I CANNOT do this when attacking the enemy. WHY?

I.e. the problem I am experiencing is that in combat, with or without any prior right of passage, my opponent can move unrestricted in MY territory. I understand that I cannot use his roads/railway but WHY can he use my? The opponent is at a GREAT advantage...
Old March 1, 2002, 07:17   #5
Todd Hawks
Prince

The AI cannot use your roads and railroads when you are at war.

And you can move in his territory as much as he can in yours.

The only thing I can think of that could have happened here is that you moved some restricted unit (e.g. tanks cannot move into jungle and mountains without road IIRC, same with catapults and some other units).

But there is absolutely NO difference between what the AI and you can do. (I'm speaking only about unit movement here ).
Old March 1, 2002, 07:54   #6
Wee Lad
Settler

???? Honestly, when I play AI can move much more freely than I. No kidding. I have reinstalled the game a couple of times and I use the latest patch (1.17). Has anyone experienced this? Maybe a bug - but I can't be the only one with this bug?

Last edited by Wee Lad; March 1, 2002 at 08:07.
Old March 1, 2002, 08:30   #7
Todd Hawks
Prince

Hmm... maybe you could describe more exactly what happened. I.e. under which circumstances haven't you been able to move where with what other units near etc.

Or better yet: Post a savegame with this description. Or a screenshot.
Old March 1, 2002, 08:55   #8
Wee Lad
Settler

Situation: me v. (e.g.) Romans. Border to border (no neutral territory between). I have a city two squares from the border and then another city four squares behind the first city (i.e. six squares from the border). Railroads all over the place. The Romans have the same situation.
We go to war. I use footsoldiers and cavalry. In my turn I will be able to move my cavalry two squares into enemy territory (that allows me to attack his first city with the cavalry). In the same turn my footsoldiers will move one square and then wait a turn before they can attack the city.
Now it's A.I.'s turn: what happens is that his cavalry and footsoldiers will be able to move, WITHIN MY TERRITORY, as if there was roads for him to use. I.e. his cavalry can move 6(!) squares and his footsoldiers 3 squares. That is the problem that should be there... He can attack my rear-city with his cavalry and the front city with his footsoldiers IN THE FIRST TURN! For me that takes a minimum of two turns...
Get it? I reckon something is wrong but what????????
Old March 1, 2002, 09:15   #9
Todd Hawks
Prince

Yeah, got it.

You are right. That shouldn't happen. The movement you get is the correct one (one tile=one movement point in enemy territory) and the AI should not be able to use your roads/rails. Although cavalry has 3 movement points IIRC so with road that would be 9.

And I am afraid that is all I can say. I never heard of something like this before and have absolutely no idea what could be causing it.

Maybe you should send a savegame to Firaxis.