Old March 1, 2002, 04:56   #1
LoverOfCiv
Settler

Local Time: 14:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can't get the CIVs to like you? Try this:
Here's a simple strategy to try that works for me. First put everything into science that you have to to get the smallest number of turns to discover something, but still getting the greatest amount of cash back. If you check every turn, and reset it to 100% science (even if you're loosing cash) after a discovery, you'll stay ahead of the game.

First go for Literacy and have a big city start building the Palace before you get there. When you discover Literacy (guess what) switch the palace to the GREAT LIBRARY. After you discover Literacy, pick a tech line to follow and only go after that line, that way you'll be heavy on certain techs while the computer is well rounded-you get all the computer's techs of course when you finish the great library.

During this time, make sure to develop lots of culture, and talk to the other civs all the time. Keep trading with them, even if it's just world map for 2 gold. Occasionally give them a territory map for free!

As soon as the GREAT LIBRARY is finished you are on top of the world! You can now sell techs the computer doesn't have in exchange for GOLD PER TURN. This will enable you to keep your techs coming as fast as they can, but still getting plenty of money. Just stay ahead of the game, remember to develop Republic ASAP and Democracy very soon in the game and if the computer feels INTIMIDATED by you, they'll like you-especially when you're nice to it.
Old March 1, 2002, 16:00   #2
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
Since the latest patch Great Library ain't that great anymore as its benefits last only a very short period of time.

Did you experience the above as an emperor/deity - killing strategy? Don't think so (but could be wrong of course ...)

Humbly yours,
AJ
Old March 1, 2002, 16:22   #3
LoverOfCiv
Settler

Local Time: 14:11
You're right, I did this on Monarch level, but if you can find a way to get a tech up on the other civs with a large amount of culture, the rest of the game should continue even on the higher levels. I heard a version of this strategy by someone who DOES play on Diety level, and applied it to my game. You're right about the great library, except the thing that makes it great is pretty much only when you first get it-you get all the techs two others have which catches you up. I plan to start a Diety game when I'm finished with my Monarch game, so maybe I'll have to revise my strategy, but the general principle of getting a tech (especially a military tech) up on the competition should work. I do have the patch and towards the time I was almost about to get calvary, I was getting close to $2000 a turn. Let me know if you have an suggestions of other ways to get a tech up on other civs on a harder level, I'm always looking for new ideas.
Old March 29, 2002, 02:33   #4
runbyu
Settler

Local Time: 21:11
Good strategy LoverOfCiv,

I usally do this in my game; I also start an early war with MP with a superior civ; I playing on emperor with french. On standard map; last game i played on Marla Singers World map as Germany on Monarch won with culture in 1800. It sucked because I had such long ass waits during turns; watch tv and civ. As French now I had to kiss ass with Russia because she's always ahead of me in tech. I only played 1.17f (??lastest patch right??) and Great Library didn't do much because I couldn't get off my island and meet other civs. Once I met my first civ I did get six techs or something ridiculas like that; so still the GL is top Wonders for me; because it one of the best techs in game. Pyramid is my first wonder. Hmmm; for me on harder levels it all about war; and since you don't get tech with war like with the original... I just trade my way by getting the techs that I know the AI isn't going for; which is usually the tree the computer picks for you after discovering a new tech. Now with the Russians I just allied with them through 3 WWs. Now its just me and Russia with me in fear of the computer winning by culture. I should have switched sides and took on Russia when it was getting to big or better yet I should have took my science to 100% to discover navigation meet a civ; trade for world map while building units (knights for me) and start a war for best location. If you have the GL you should be getting a lot of tech upon meeting other civs and you can use the time to build units so its still very important more so in the harder levels.

Later
RUN
Old March 29, 2002, 20:11   #5
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:11
I mostly play emperor standard continent maps with religious civ, but as I've 'mastered' this difficulty, I'll switch to deity very soon.

My (1.17f) ways to get tech:
1) 0% research myself until at least late industrial times, for getting the techs I'll first focus on free techs by warring and defeating my first adversary;
2) I buy techs;
3) if a science lead is achieveable I'll try anything to become it (switching to 100% science demo., when warring monarchy);
4) I've noticed many times that conquering the GL is even better than building it yourself (I never bother building early wonders on higher levels, except by Great Leaders):

I thought (and still think) this is some kind of bug:

I'm usually far behind in techs, but when I capture the GL I get all techs from before education, education itself AND all techs that two civs have in common, even on to late industrial age !!!!!

I don't complain, suits me just fine!

AJ
Old March 29, 2002, 20:27   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
go straight for horsemen (or swordsmen, dependent on terrain) and kill 2 or 3 neighbors. it's the best war to build an empire.