Old January 6, 2001, 05:15   #1
colossus
Warlord

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you want to see in the menu?
I believe that the menu should include the series of magical numbers and formulae that are inherently important to the gameplay.

Things like trade bonus calculation, beakers formula for advance, bribery costs, barbarian activities(type, number and occurance), and others should be included to clarify for us the mechanics of gameplay.

Yes, we could still play with great skill and joy without knowing the details but pondering in the mist is no taste for person like me.

It will be neat and handy for firaxis to publish the figures and formulae, saving the efforts of 'xxx report' or 'xxx investigation'.
Old January 6, 2001, 07:09   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I basically agree with you, colossus. But, im not sure about the menus, though. Maybe the "Civilopedia" is a better place to read about these formulas?

Anyway: Firaxis should avoid any fraction-variables, or minor 5-10-20 percentage variables. They should use simple integers before fractions. And use the blocky 50-100-200% format. Keep it simple!

In the city-screen, they should use mostly graphical feedback - not numbers.
[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 06, 2001).]
Old January 6, 2001, 12:33   #3
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm not sure what menu you are talking about here colossus.

Ralf, on the City screen I think it would be beneficial to have not only the graphic representation but also numbers next to it. That way with a quick glance you know that your trieme is almost done, but you can also if you want know exactly how much is done and the amount of shields left to build.
Old January 7, 2001, 01:05   #4
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The player needs to be given a small amount but crucial info to make a good decision. Any screen whether a city screen or a government screen or whatever should not "throw tons of info" at the player. The player should get just the info that is really needed. The game should allow the player to open a second screen to get the more nitty gritty detail, if he/she wants to.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:
I will give 5 pieces of info about population. Tell me which ones are the most important for the player to have in order from less important to most important.
1)total city population
2)population growth in number of pop per turn
3)number of turns till next pop head
4)pop growth in %
5)1 word description of how good pop growth

My personal rating from less crucial to most crucial would be 2,4,1,5,3. So, if I were making a city screen, the portion on pop growth would just have 1,5,3.

example:
population: 23,450 (next worker in 5 turns)
growth: good

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.