Old March 2, 2002, 11:55   #1
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 22:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Prime Function Aki Zeta-5
Why dedicating a thread to a Faction leader name? Because I just realised that it is extremely well thought - except that I couldn't find an explanation for "Aki", except for the history of the leader. But I think there is someone called Aki on this forum, who could explain this part.
So, an algorithm takes over the brain of a living person. So it is only too clear to call oneself Prime Function instead of Prime Minister. The rest is a bit of maths. The Riemannian zeta function is perhaps one of the most pathological of the important mathematical functions. A link to a list of links to the zeta function can be found here by those who are not afraid of maths. The zeta function at an integer s can be expressed as the product of 1/(1-p^s) over all prime numbers p. It has also a relation to the proof that the prime number counting function p(n), which is the number of all prime numbers less than n, can be approximated by the logarithmic integral Li(n). So, the zeta function is a veritable prime function (and even more). There is one major problem: For all even numbers 2, 4, 6, ... the value of the zeta function is proved to be an irrational number, as well as zeta(3). For zeta(5) this is not yet shown, so there is still a slight chance that this number is rational, therefore Aki Zeta-5. I think there went quite a bit of thought into this name.

I have not yet found another so well thought or fitting name, the real Andrej Zakharov was definitely pacifist (at least after he built the H-bomb), and not erratic. Perhaps there is something with Cha Dawn, who may be something like a reincarnation of Buddha (I think, a few years ago there actually was a new-born (or still very young) boy found by Buddhist priests to be a reincarnation). But this doesn't seem to be so much beyond the normal level of thought that goes into making up names. Shen-Ji Yang or Corazon Santiago just seems to be "looking Chinese" or "something Spanish/Latin American". I would like to be proved wrong.

A side note: Transcendent numbers (e. g. e, pi) are those which are irrational and not algebraic (i. e. not to be expressed as a zero of a polynomial with rational coefficients). It is shown that for zeta(n) with n even is a transcendent number, but this is not clear for zeta(5). If you want to role-play SMAX, would it be against faction characteristics to use Transcendi or to achieve The Ascent to Transcendence?
Old March 2, 2002, 20:04   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That's rather interesting, your theory about Aki's name. For the record, Aki is a Japanese female name and a Finnish male name.

Though I assume you know this already, 'Corazon' is the Spanish word for heart.

How about CEO Morgan? I know of a J.P. Morgan, who was responsible for the concept "Morganites".

Edit: About Cyborg Transcendence; I recall that the explanation in the build order screen for the AtT for Cyborgs does not tell of joint humanity, but of something Cyborg-related. So they have that part covered there.
Old March 2, 2002, 22:44   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:14
"Aki" was named as result of feedback from a Finnish poster who claimed that it was a common abbreviated female name there, short for Anna Karina, iirc.

"Zakarov" was also a modification of a slightly different name that the Firaxian design team dreamt up. Some of the movies and quotes still refer to something like "Prokor Zahara" which didn't sound believably Russian.
Old March 4, 2002, 07:56   #4
King_Kristian
Chieftain

I remember reading on the official SMAC/X site that Aki Zeta Five is really a Norwegian woman named Aki Letinnen, a scientist working under the Unity science officer.
She conducted experiments with Pre Sentient Algorithms and used her own body for the experiments and when she arrived at Alpha Centauri she had become AKi Zeta Five.
Old March 4, 2002, 11:41   #5
aaglo
King

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My name is AKI and I'm not a female!
..or do I look like it?
Attached Images:

Old March 4, 2002, 16:20   #6
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
[SIZE=1
"Zakarov" was also a modification of a slightly different name that the Firaxian design team dreamt up. Some of the movies and quotes still refer to something like "Prokor Zahara" which didn't sound believably Russian.
That reference is just due to the voice actor trying on a Russian accent for size. Trust me.
The original name for Zakharov was 'Saratov', but Firaxis got feedback that it wasn't genuinely Russian.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old March 4, 2002, 17:52   #7
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
is really a Norwegian woman named Aki Letinnen
From my southern European (=german, Cologne and south) point of view the name Letinnen looks more Finnish than Norwegian. As Kassiopeia mentioned, this has to go with a Japanese female name (Not to offend any male Finnish person). Here on the Apolyton SMAX site I found a reference where she was called Aki Hansen. Hansen is for me more believably Norwegian/Swedish/Danish/Northern German. But there seems to be some other information which isn't up-to-date (Choices:Planned etc.)
Btw. I left my game with Cyborgs due to boredom (well, almost). I tried ICS (two in diagonal) on a huge map and had a continent for myself...

...And I thought Prokhor was called after the Russian Physicist/Dissident. Perhaps Firaxis chose this name because it was sufficiently similar and guaranteed Russian.
Old March 4, 2002, 17:56   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
"Aki" was named as result of feedback from a Finnish poster who claimed that it was a common abbreviated female name there, short for Anna Karina, iirc.
Someone pulled a good one, if that is true. I always conceived her as an Asian, since her forename is a female forename in Japan.
The Norwegian theory is new to me, and the surname "Letinnen" sounds definitely more Finnish then Scandinavian.
Old March 4, 2002, 19:33   #9
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

kassiopeia, the naming of "Aki" came up in the Apolyton SMAC news section. I am guessing in the first quarter of 2000. I am not sure that I follow the news archiving system; I was able to retrieve old 1999 articles but none from 2000.

...and did you mean 'more Finnish than Norwegian'?
Old March 5, 2002, 03:47   #10
Adalbertus
Prince

As far as I know the Finnish History they would claim to be Scandinavian when conquered by Russia and not when conquered by Sweden.
Old March 5, 2002, 04:15   #11
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:14
Sheng-ji Yang
Yang in the Feng Shui is the male aspect. It is the Fire, Summer, and life.

Here's a link:http://www.168fengshui.com/Articles/Article_yinyang.htm

Chairman Yang can be interpreted as the 'Life of the People' due to the fact that Yang in the Yin-Yang sense is the 'life'. In a general sense, Yang relates to growth, life, potential, and beginnings.

Sheng is roughly translated to destiny, fate, life, and order. However, the conjunction of "Sheng" to"-ji" escapes me.

To sum this all up:

Sheng=Life/Fate/Destiny/Order
Yang=Fire/Life/Summer

If you want to try and be philosophical about it---

Sheng-ji Yang's DESTINY is to lead a new LIFE of ORDER for his people.

SUMMER is a season of growth, this can be related to Firaxis' game design where the Human Hive receives +1 growth.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old March 5, 2002, 13:46   #12
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
...and did you mean 'more Finnish than Norwegian'?
No. Sweden and Norway (the countries of Scandinavia) have very alike languages and thus names. AFAIK Letinnen, with the ending -nen, is much more likely to be of Finnish-Ugrian language family origin then of the Scandinavian Germanic language family.

Quote:
As far as I know the Finnish History they would claim to be Scandinavian when conquered by Russia and not when conquered by Sweden

Scandinavia: Sweden and Norway.
Fennoscandia: Scandinavia, Karelia, and Finland.
Nordic countries: Scandinavia, Finland, Denmark, Iceland.

Politically, Finland was, of course, before 1808 a Scandinavian place, after that to 1917 Finland was a part of Russia and, thus, belonged to the European part of Russia, so then we were East Europeans.

They are very accurate on these things in my Geography lessons. I would assume that in N-American Geography lessons dealing with Northern Europe, they say:
"Finland, Sweden, Norway and the lot are somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic. Now, name the three largest rivers of the United States."
French Geography lessons are a mystery, however.
Old March 5, 2002, 15:05   #13
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
They are very accurate on these things in my Geography lessons. I would assume that in N-American Geography lessons dealing with Northern Europe, they say: "Finland, Sweden, Norway and the lot are somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic. Now, name the three largest rivers of the United States."
Mississippi, Missouri, Miss America, why do you ask?

Quote:
French Geography lessons are a mystery, however.
Same for me, but I can easily ask. Perhaps it is something like "Se Swedish arre convenient parrtners to create a major havoc in Gerrmany, but only if we want to pay se bill 300 years later ..."

In Germany you don't hear a lot about nordic countries at school, mainly Denmark and Sweden when it comes to the Normans, the Hanse, the 30 years war, or Bismarcks war against Denmark. The fact that the Swedish occupied Mecklenburg for 100 years or so is already half-forgotten. Finland is out of reach (and mostly part of Swedish/Russian history), except for the music of Sibelius. Apart of Germany, most of (medieval/modern) history in Germany deals with France, England, Italy, Spain, Russia, USA. Switzerland or Netherlands mainly for the reasons of their existence (see 30 years war). But for some reason there was so much happening and important to know in Germany that there is little time to stroll too far apart. (Btw. I prefer Finland being peaceful and not remembered. Dont't try it like Sweden.)

When did Norway get independence of Sweden? Or was it a construction like Austria-Hungary, where one person was king of both countries?

Last edited by Adalbertus; March 5, 2002 at 18:14.
Old March 5, 2002, 15:17   #14
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 16:14
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
I would assume that in N-American Geography lessons dealing with Northern Europe, they say:
"Finland, Sweden, Norway and the lot are somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic. Now, name the three largest rivers of the United States."
Nah, we are right on the border with the US, so we get their "worldly astute" citizens all the time. We are south of Northern California, and on about the same parallel as Rome, Italy.

We get them coming over the border with skis on the roof in July(ave highs, 25-30 C, ave lows, 15-20 C) and asking, "How far do I have to go for the snow?"

Their geography lesson would not be so specific as to include the "Atlantic." It would more likely say Finland, Sweden and the lot are up thadda way with Canada (pointing north)"

j/k, lol

Btw, Canadian geography classes include a fair bit of world geography (there just isn't a lot other than terrain maps to talk about in Canadian geography). For example I knew about the Psuedo-Scandinavian status of Finland. Thanks for the more specific info though. Always nice to have the reasons why.

bc
Old March 5, 2002, 15:33   #15
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

kassiopeia, my maternal grandfather talked about Finland as being 'part of Scandinavia', but he was Swedish, so perhaps biased. I certainly agree that Finnish is considerably different from other nordic tongues. Heck, it is 'considerably different' period.

I am glad b_c already lept in and drew the distinction between US and Canadian geography lessons. And history lessons for that matter. Your typical American has to study US history so much there isn't a lot of time spent on other countries.

Back to topic, too bad I can't retrieve that news article on Aki out of the Apolyton archives.
Old March 5, 2002, 17:27   #16
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I was quite sure I'd get some comments on putting the Canadian and American education on the same line.

By the way, I have a new question, for your amusement.

In the Journey to Centauri -story by Michael Ely, there is somewhere a list of some crew members of the Unity.
Now, there is a name on the list, "Takala, T."

I thought this was just the writer's imagination, finding some strange name, maybe it was Japanese, but -
I read some age-old Civ2 post, in which a Finn, Teemu Takala was mentioned.

Could there be a connection between these two cases? Or is it just a coincidence?
Old March 5, 2002, 18:36   #17
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:14
Btw, has no one yet noticed the, to put it softly, rather striking similarity between Aki Hansen and Annika Hansen (=Seven of Nine)???
Old March 5, 2002, 18:55   #18
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
Btw, has no one yet noticed the, to put it softly, rather striking similarity between Aki Hansen and Annika Hansen (=Seven of Nine)???
No, sorry, the only living female Hansen I know is Gabriele Hansen who was a neighbour of mine (and is happily married for over 30 years now). I didn't find any similarities.
Could you post/línk to a picture if you have one?
Old March 13, 2002, 00:56   #19
Qilue
King

Local Time: 07:14
About the Cha Dawn reference. While the reincarnation of Buddha may have been in someone's mind, the character of Cha Dawn doesn't quite fit as emphasized in the final two sentances of his initial speech

"I will make them see it. I will make them hear it."

Buddhism stresses avoidance of violence which those two sentences contradict. It must also be considered that when a 'mystical-wiseman-speaking-in-riddles' type character is added to a storyline (film, television, novel, game, etc), most writers invariably model off a buddhist monk.

To me, Cha Dawn seems more like a religious (and younger) version of Mao Tse-tung.
Old March 13, 2002, 09:10   #20
Alynzia
Warlord

Local Time: 21:14
To Do With Nothing
Has anybody noticed how many SMAC faction leader names are places?

Santiago.

Shengyang is a place in China, me believe.

Zakharov's original name was Saratov, a Russian place.

Luttinen and Svensgaard sound like Nordic places.

Skye, as in the island.

On the topic,
Zakharov was a suggestion as SMAC Fanatic said. Saratov IS a Russian place. Zakharov is a naughty suggestion because I use that name on occassion and get accused of loving Victor Zakharov, the white Russian racist. Hurrah!

And HEY, Yuri Nesteroff is f**king really Russian. Jesus.

I think I get some of his family's email because there aren't too many Nesteroff's in America and I've got the AOL screen name. They send me all kinds of weird things. I like it.

Alynzia.
Old March 13, 2002, 09:21   #21
knowhow2
King

Re: To Do With Nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia
Has anybody noticed how many SMAC faction leader names are places?

Luttinen and Svensgaard sound like Nordic places.

Interesting..... although I pretty sure that there isn't any place in Sweden named "Svensgård"... perhaps Svens Gård (=Svens garden).
Old March 17, 2002, 17:10   #22
Adalbertus
Prince

Qilue,

Not entirely convinced, sorry.
Why do we need two incarnations of Mao? Yang already does this job quite excellently.
What you cite is, even in the context of the whole initial speech, not necessarily violent - If said by a buddhist monk you would certainly understand this as "showing the way to enlightenment" (Any totalitarian ot autoritarian system puts the society/community higher than the individuum -- which fits to Yang --, but not really as a form of enlightenment -- which IMHO was attributed to Yang as "typically Asian" when the more religious Cha Dawn was not yet in sight.)
As readiness to violence this citation can easily be understood if you already suspect such a readiness from other points.
The problem with any seriously pacifistic group (i. e. a group who rejects the use of violence even if faced with violence) is that it would make an extremely weak faction - power wise, and therefore not useful for a game.

Alynzia:

It is quite common that people are named after the place they come from. The only interesting point may be that the places Santiago themselves are called after a person, namely Saint Jacob. His tomb is at Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

A question to the English (or Russian maybe?) native speakers:

What is the English transcription of the name of the Russian "father of the H-bomb" who later turned pacifist, said too much and got imprisoned, got a Peace Nobel Prize, and was elected to one of the first freely elected Soviet or Russian Parliaments in the late 80s or early 90s and died sometime around 1995 (if my memory didn't fail on all those details). The German transcription of his name is Andrej Sacharow. I thought Zakharov is the English equivalent and that he gave his name to Prokhor. Which would be entirely fitting, if you translate one drastic change in his life to "erratic".

Last edited by Adalbertus; March 17, 2002 at 17:15.
Old March 17, 2002, 18:15   #23
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Andrei Saharov - Prokhor Zakharov? Quite possible.