Old March 5, 2002, 11:05   #31
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Sidgames server conditions were only good right before it went dead, when Kunal had something like 50k to spend. Up until that, the servers sucked and we were changing them seemingly every other month.

This was quite common:
Quote:
The SidGames.Com Forums will temporarily not grant you access, it's momentary and it's due to our transfer to the new server. I'm very sorry for this, but it's quite neccessary!
Semi-interesting:
Quote:
to speed up propagation [SG server 'known' throughout all networks] I'm asking everyone who is receiving this to PLEASE try and visit SidGames.Com every 10-20 minutes
Complaining about Bell:
Quote:
I've called up Bell Atlantic, and they claim they are working as hard as possible to fix the problems in our area but I doubt they really are, I've worked on a temporary solution and I know it'll work, so SidGames will be back up within one hour, Happy Thanksgiving!!!
A lot of the money he made was from selling the forum script, not made off the actual site.
Old March 5, 2002, 14:07   #32
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

Isn't 1 Tera the same as 1000 Gigas?
For that price you might just buy 10 100 GB HD instead!
And they're your property (until they malfunction or get obsolete)!
That rate is for the data transferred to or from your site, not for the hard drives in your server.

Salve
Old March 5, 2002, 14:09   #33
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
chokes. drops dead.
Hmmm. My condolences. I wish you a speedy recovery.

BTW. I'm curious. What are the upload/download numbers for Poly? In general, I don't need an exact number.
Old March 5, 2002, 19:13   #34
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 17:16
As ' notyoueither' (NYE) clarified, the terabyte reference was not to hard disk space but bandwidth. There is both a technical difference and, especially in consideration of Apolyton's hosting options, a significant financial difference in terms of cost. To answer your question, NYE, site traffic data is not made available for public consumption.

Whenever there is a serivce interruption, when the server goes back online a notice is posted as soon as possible thereafter in <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/about" TARGET="_new">the "About" section</A> of the site.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 5, 2002, 19:29   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:16
Why are you so coy about this data Dannyboy?
Old March 5, 2002, 19:41   #36
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

It has been the policy of this site from its inception that such information will not be publicly disclosed. While the reasons for this decision were/are numerous, one among them is the potential for mild but noticable fluctations in the data based on but not limited to update frequency, time of day and site speed/accessibility.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 5, 2002, 19:48   #37
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
As ' notyoueither' (NYE) clarified, the terabyte reference was not to hard disk space but bandwidth. There is both a technical difference and, especially in consideration of Apolyton's hosting options, a significant financial difference in terms of cost. To answer your question, NYE, site traffic data is not made available for public consumption.

Whenever there is a serivce interruption, when the server goes back online a notice is posted as soon as possible thereafter in <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/about" TARGET="_new">the "About" section</A> of the site.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
OK. I'd guess you'd be over a TeraByte per month (or at least close) but I guess it will have to remain a guess.

I take it you have a better deal. Good if you do. But if you don't, check them out. They're pretty good people.

Salve
Old March 5, 2002, 19:57   #38
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:16
Policy, schmolicy, we have a need to know

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours?
Old March 6, 2002, 01:15   #39
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

"Policy, schmolicy"... you're playing my song...

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 7, 2002, 00:11   #40
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
As ' notyoueither' (NYE) clarified, the terabyte reference was not to hard disk space but bandwidth.
Not exactly true. That's the amount of data that moves between a server and the Net.

That's expensive. Many colo companies don't charge by traffic volume.
Old March 7, 2002, 14:17   #41
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

UR: you said <U>bandwidth</U> is "the amount of data that moves between a server and the Net". Just to clarify: it does not necessarily have to be between a server and the Internet (could be server and Intranet, or one machine to another for example), but generally speaking yes. However, <U>hard disk space</U> is not a measure of the amount of data that moves between one machine and another but rather the data capacity of a server itself.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS