Old March 4, 2002, 05:15   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Beyond Alpha Centauri::: Discussion Thread 3
Hello everyone. It's good to see everyone here. Things are progressing with me I guess. Friday, I'll be leaving out for Germany and will be gone for 3 weeks. If things go well, Ill be back on April 2. Anyway, here is a new discussion thread.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 06:33   #2
Sprayber
Emperor

Just read through the discussion thread.

First and foremost.

History: Sorry to hear about your family tragedy. Believe me, I know how that is. Nothing we can say will make it any less painful, but maybe just knowing someone cared will help some. I know it has for me. My door is open, if you need to talk.

Mellian: The Spartans don't really care if the Fraal colonize a planet as long as they aren't doing it in Spartan territory and would in fact suggest territory near the Hive region . One more thing. Thanks for keeping Star Trek out of BAC. Some of the ship designs could be ok. Cardiassian designs may begin to appear as certain Spartan vessels. Not really for sure yet. Basically any ship without warp nacells are ok.

Franky: Don't feel too bad. Your participation has been more than mine.

Lonestar: Eventually the Protectarate will be exposed. When the Spartans find out they will not be in the mood to make deals. The idea of taking Spartan Prisioners is a little far fetched as well. The Spartans would not allow themselves to live in captivity. I'm sorry, but can you honestly believe that they would? Those in the Spartan military are not just your average ordinary folk. Taking Spartan prisoners is possible, but your not going to keep them alive, unless you keep them sedated and that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of keeping them in the first place.

Kass: Just my observations, but the EC will have to make some serious decisons in the near future. Will they roll over and allow the TA to dictate what they can and can't do? Will the TA military be in control or will the civialian head of the TA be in charge? Later on when I get back, Sparta may be interested in helping the EC remain independent from the facist TA military machine. Yes, I have always been a big fan of irony

Sovereign: Don't worry. It's hard to build a faction when everyone else had already have their set in place with storylines. But your doing a good job. Just keep in mind that BAC is very much a mix of all the sci shows and books. Everything we do is in some way influienced by what we have seen and read. In fact, the old saying that there are very few original ideas left isn't too far from being the truth. We all use things we have experienced as a template for our own creations. As you may have seen, many here have a dislike for Star Trek. Truth is most of us problably liked it at one point, but after seeing other series found a little silly or unrealistic. My favorite is Star Wars but after watching ROTJ this weekend, I found myself rolling my eyes on more than one occasion. Shows like Space Above and Beyond, B5, and the later Aliens are also favorites of mine. Maybe cause the future isn't protrayed as being so bright.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, and this is directed to everyone. Don't let the technology take over the story. Star Trek failed in this during it's later incarnations. I will always be able to forgive small tech goofs, if the story is good. That's why I love Star Wars, Dune, Space Above and beyond and B5. They have for the most part good stories behind them. I've seen Hamlet set in three different time periods and all were good because of the story. Just keep that in mind. In our earnest to have big space battles and epic story lines, lets not forget the individuals. Kass, I'm really interested in how those two guys are doing. Lonestar, what exactly motivates a Protectorate citizen in their day to day existence. Anyway, those are just a few examples.

Off to read the story posts that I missed.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old March 4, 2002, 06:58   #3
Sprayber
Emperor

Mr President: I look forward to more of your dinner story. Allow me to flesh out the personalities of your Spartan guests a little.

Captain Zak VanDern is your typical Spartan soldier. Very conservative in appearance. Not overly friendly. Very efficient in his duties.

Ambassador Leta Holms has been on the Planet for sometime I would think. Even though at first she hated her assignment, she has grown sort of fond of the planet and actually does want good relations between Sparta and Firaxis. She isn't your typical straight laced Spartan officer. She does know how to smile and laugh but never would in an official state function.

Foreign Officers Starks is friendly person as well. Starks has had lots of experience with foreign governments. He can be deadly serious at times but never stays that way for long. Basically most Spartans aren't at all above laughing at a good joke. The younger ones like VanDern are usually the more serious ones because they are still in the process of defining their place in the Spartan system. People like Starks know their roles very well and can afford more displays of humor. But they are very quick to put on the Spartan mask when it is appropriate. Basically all Spartans are reserved when in official capacities. But the older and wiser ones know that they can't act rigid all the time. But all are very much loyal to Sparta and its basic ideals.

Survival of Sparta, strenght, honor, and personal responsiblity.
Old March 4, 2002, 11:42   #4
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
So what is the TAF going to do know they know that the Soliders of God have been handing them their heads in the last 2 battles?
Discussing it with kass, but mostly likely Terran Alliance will officially declare war on the morganites, member militaries will under TAF command, defences and other things will be reorganized by TAF, so they can finally defend a system they way they should.....

TAF will also end up absorbing InEn....creating the Civillian Division while merging the InEn military and security forces with the TAF FLeet, Security and so on.... and TAF gets Callisto, despite ruined, and good portion of Luna, lol

Anyway, the Morganites and Soldiers of God only woke up the big giant I know Spartans and maybe Drones will jump in, but TAF expects it.....the TAF knows what they are doing.

I may start writing soon, but mainly in third person, as i suck in first person......and will be quick, but atleast keep you people busy

-LMP
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 12:01   #5
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Mellian: The Spartans don't really care if the Fraal colonize a planet as long as they aren't doing it in Spartan territory and would in fact suggest territory near the Hive region . One more thing. Thanks for keeping Star Trek out of BAC. Some of the ship designs could be ok. Cardiassian designs may begin to appear as certain Spartan vessels. Not really for sure yet. Basically any ship without warp nacells are ok.
I don't want to much startrek influence in BAC anymore then you do and i agree that the story shouldn't be ruled by technology. It is possible for a Low tech ship to destroy a higher tech ship, despite the the technological differences. Terran Alliance may currently be slightly less advance then the CHironians and so on, but they do have the numbers and strength... Take the Terran Battlecruiser, which i am fond of from Starcraft..... May not be as advance as the average CHironian ship or the Protoss ships in Starcraft, have lower tech weapons and so on.... but they are hard to kill, having higher "hitpoints".. The Battlecruisers strength it is their Defence, by surviving quite a while in battle, so they can still be part of it.

Quote:
Kass: Just my observations, but the EC will have to make some serious decisons in the near future. Will they roll over and allow the TA to dictate what they can and can't do? Will the TA military be in control or will the civialian head of the TA be in charge? Later on when I get back, Sparta may be interested in helping the EC remain independent from the facist TA military machine. Yes, I have always been a big fan of irony
Sprayber, me and kass are discussing it. Yes, there will be TAF and Coalition friction but initially, they will sudmit as the Coalition would be supportive in declaring war, despite disliking the idea of their fleet being in TAF Command. The friction is gradual and will create a spark, but me and kass feels to keep chironian influences to the minimum on this. When the war really begins and spartans gets involve as they said they would, Kessel will be facing Kerensky, the current best strategist, tactician and so on in the Terran Alliance...equal to Admiral Thrawn in Starwars TAF isn't fascist, just a military orgnization with a lot of leeway, and built from the ground up under Kerensky's leadership ...which is also why it is nearly impossible to infiltrate... possible to get passive intel on them via other members, but not from within the TAF. Even then, the members don't completly know of what the TAF is up too.

Quote:
Lonestar, what exactly motivates a Protectorate citizen in their day to day existence. Anyway, those are just a few examples.
I wonder too... same with the Hive......which, duh, Telepathic COntrol ....via drugs ala Starcraft or little implants like the ones use on the red guys in Metal Fatigue? (their mind is still independent and still has individuality....the implants only guerantee their loyalty and follow orders, even if they oppose it)

-LMP

Last edited by Mellian; March 4, 2002 at 12:20.
Old March 4, 2002, 12:03   #6
Mellian
Queen

Oh and people, i edited the first post in the Datalinks thread with the BAC's Universe standards................policies we agreed upon or set by Sprayber and so on....... i am sure i will end up putting more, but they are the ones currently in mind.

-LMP
Old March 4, 2002, 12:14   #7
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Don't you mean you are going to delcare war on the Believers as well as the Morganites?
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 12:20   #8
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Lonestar, what exactly motivates a Protectorate citizen in their day to day existence.
Well, you're just going to have to read my "Dawn of the Protectorate" story, aintcha?

But, in brief;

The Protectorate is a Fascist State, in which the more troublesome individuals are resocialized. The Lord Protector is held in near-God status, much like pre-WW2 Japanese Emperor.

Day-to-Day? Mostly the subjects continue to strive for the betterment of the Protectorate and mankind.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 12:37   #9
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
Don't you mean you are going to delcare war on the Believers as well as the Morganites?
the Morganites specificly, for starters.... TAF knows about the SOldiers of God and them being hired out by the Morganites..... TAF as good intel, but usually don't have the specific details...so TAF Intel makes a lot of GOOD guesses base on general intel. They are not sloppy or lazy

Anyway, Declaration of War on the Morganites specificly...and then whoever who ends up helping the Morganites or simply attacking the Terran Alliance. If all of the Believers wants to get involve and face the Terrans as an entire faction instead of just hiring out their forces which are used against them, so be it will only make the Believers a target later on....... TAF will expect other factions to join in and help out...... hey, Morganites expects to make Peace with TA, after showing their point.... until they get surprised and see Terran Alliance taking on 2-3 three of their systems with incredible numbers.... before the Morganite/Soldier of God fleets can quickly respond...before Spartans start sending their fleet........

TAF, or should i say Kerensky, expects attacks Sol, Ross and Wolf 359, so he made sure that they won't take those systems like the Morganites took Capella.

TA won't be easy pickings and doubt it will become a Chironian vs Terrans thing.... as the Peacekeepers won't get involve, neither will the Gaians and so on......

-LMP
Old March 4, 2002, 13:43   #10
Sprayber
Emperor

Don't be too sure of Terran success. The Terrans just might find that taking on the Morgans will end with all the Chiron factions deciding that the homeworld has grown too big for their own good. Your admiral may be good, but remember that most of the Chiron military leaders have lived for hundreds of years. And while each and every faction may hold grudges, they do have experience in banding together to fight a common enemy. I'm sure deals can be struck to ensure that Earth is brought down a few notches. Who knows we all might just give Earth to the Saturn people.
Old March 4, 2002, 15:07   #11
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Quote:
Who knows we all might just give Earth to the Saturn people.

Have you been reading Queen Sanchez' mind?
Old March 4, 2002, 16:57   #12
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Don't be too sure of Terran success. The Terrans just might find that taking on the Morgans will end with all the Chiron factions deciding that the homeworld has grown too big for their own good. Your admiral may be good, but remember that most of the Chiron military leaders have lived for hundreds of years. And while each and every faction may hold grudges, they do have experience in banding together to fight a common enemy. I'm sure deals can be struck to ensure that Earth is brought down a few notches. Who knows we all might just give Earth to the Saturn people.
Well Sprayber, me and kass think that the Terran Alliance should become a major player in Human space, and they will prove it that they are to be mess with.

besides, isn't the Terrans who started the war, it was the Morganites. It not the Terrans fault that the Morganites is stupid enough to think they simply enter Sol and take Callisto and get away with it. Not the Terrans fault that the Morganites are stupid enough to attack Coalition ships which they done nothing to the Morganites. Not the Terrans fault that the Morganites think they can bully all of the Terran Alliance, which generally done nothing to the Morganites, by taking Capella.... So who is the agressor, hmm? I would think the other Chiron Factions would be annoyed with the Morganites for being careless enough to underestimate the Terrans and wake up the sleeping giant.

gtg fast, later........

-LMP
Old March 4, 2002, 17:26   #13
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
See, I'm rather worried about that stuff in the Datalinks that says one or the other of the Terran ship designs is "basically indestructible". Unless the story is going to end with the absorption of all other entities into the Earth Coalition . . .

How does it end, hm? If we're not supposed to make the Morganites, Spartans etc. too strong, we can't make the other ones too strong either.
Old March 4, 2002, 17:52   #14
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
Sprayber: Nice to see you. Yes, the EC is facing some interesting times, as the InEn will be probably absorbed to the TA. It will get interesting, Mellian and I have discussed this, and he seems to of covered it quite well.

Remember, the Hive and Coalition are having closer ties, and the Coalition will be facing internal shifts.

I have been lately on a... creative hiatus, and the thought of writing a post has simply evaded me. It feels as if I have changed to a permanent "power save" status. I hope I'll get rid of it.

Quote:
Who knows we all might just give Earth to the Saturn people.

Quote:
Kass, I'm really interested in how those two guys are doing.
Darn, if the audience wants it, the audience gets it! We'll see how they survived their shipsighting trip to Callisto
I have always liked the way of bringing a story to existence from the scope of a single person or a group, I try to avoid (and, actually, dislike) the atypical way historians commonly use when describing events.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
See, I'm rather worried about that stuff in the Datalinks that says one or the other of the Terran ship designs is "basically indestructible".
What ship? (I doubt it's a CSN ship)
If something like that is remarked of a TAF Battlecruiser, we need to modify it, of course. No ship can be indestructible.

Mellian: You going to write?
Would you like me to get the call on the Soldier of God involvment, once Capella has been lost?
Old March 4, 2002, 18:03   #15
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 15:16
Thanks for everyone's responses, it's much appreciated.

LMP, if I may be allowed (for once) to put in my two cents...The Morganites in the beginning did not start the war. The two supply ships seemed to have opened fire on each other, but no one can genuinely be blamed for starting the attack. However, the Morganites were quick to hold out their hands in a gesture of peace towards InEn, but InEn would not settle down and agree to the terms proper in any such diplomatic agreement. Not only was a Morganite diplomat murdered by an unknown assilant (hmmm...something sounds familiar here...unknown...oh, never mind), but the InEn forces attempted to destroy a diplomatic vessel. Morgan's reaction was the right one, to choose Callisto, 99% owned by InEn, to attack. He did not want to hold it, but instead to destroy InEn's major holdings there. He gave special orders that all Earth Coalition and Terran Alliance officials and citizens be protected, but unfortunately, it seems several died in the attack. Morgan did not intend this, but hey! How else was he supposed to respond? The Earth Coalition ships were only attacked after they moved into place against Morganite forces above and on Callisto, and in fact were in preparation for attack. Had they been allowed to make their assault, Callisto would have fallen quickly, before it could be made completely useless to InEn. It was in his best interests, and indeed in the best interests of the citizens of Callisto (um...well it did protect them briefly from surface bombardment) to destroy the offending fleet before it could be properly put into use against him. He did not provoke the Earth Coalition or the Terran Alliance before hand at all, by the time the attack was made the Earthers had already made some response attacks on Callisto. Morgan did try to make reperations for the few Earth citizens killed by Morgan's forces in the attack on Callisto, but Morgan had every right to attack and attempt to destroy InEn. By the time of Capella, the Terran Alliance has attacked Morgan Interstellar's troops on Callisto, and so, heck no, the Terran Alliance sure hasn't just sat around and has "generally done nothing to the Morganites". The aggressors were InEn on the moon, and the war is thus their fault.

Sorry, but the CEO paid me some extra energy bucks to do this post.

Morgan Interstellar is hardly strong, either. In fact, compared to Terra, it is quite puny. It relies on the Spartans, the Drones, and the Believers for protection when it is attacked, unless, of course, a little rogue company like InEn makes the attack, when it thinks it will be allowed to respond without the Earthers getting ticked off by it. Morgan Interstellar should be allowed to respond in this way without the response of the Terran Alliance, but this can't be the case...because that's pretty boring sounding, I think...

EDIT: Hey Kass! Yeah, bring back those two guys from the Moon! I love 'em, man! Love 'em! And hey, Capella has been taken, we rule it now, yep! It's ours! Morganite banners flapping in the breeze...if there is a breeze on Terra Nova. How's that post read, eh? Pretty bloody? I hope Silence does one on the Soldiers of God attacking the Terran right, rolling up the flank.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 18:08   #16
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian

Well Sprayber, me and kass think that the Terran Alliance should become a major player in Human space, and they will prove it that they are to be mess with.

besides, isn't the Terrans who started the war, it was the Morganites. It not the Terrans fault that the Morganites is stupid enough to think they simply enter Sol and take Callisto and get away with it. Not the Terrans fault that the Morganites are stupid enough to attack Coalition ships which they done nothing to the Morganites. Not the Terrans fault that the Morganites think they can bully all of the Terran Alliance, which generally done nothing to the Morganites, by taking Capella.... So who is the agressor, hmm? I would think the other Chiron Factions would be annoyed with the Morganites for being careless enough to underestimate the Terrans and wake up the sleeping giant.

gtg fast, later........

-LMP
Actually the Terrans started the war. The Morgans visited the Sol system to find a peaceful solution and the Terrans once again murdered innocents before war was initiated. It was the TA that failed to stop its own people

How quicky the propaganda machine has started to spin. What will the Terrans be saying next? That the Terran military really wants what is best for humanity
Old March 4, 2002, 18:15   #17
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Like in real-life conflicts, it appears that the blame for starting a war can befall on either side. The TA will appeal on the story of the Morganites starting. Also, Intel could come up with something interesting.
Besides, the Morganite - InEn war began when the ships fired at each other. But, the Morganite - Alliance war began when the Morganites decided to attack Sol and harm Coalition and Alliance materials and citizens.

Just remember that the victors write the history.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:16   #18
Sprayber
Emperor

One more thing. If I remember correctly. The Spartan Federation, yes I said the Spartan Federation, attempted to end the conflict by peacefull means. The Terrans ignored those attempts. What happnes to the TA and Earth is in no means the fault of the Chrion factions. It is the fault of the Terrans.

Queen Sanchez, ruler of the Saturn moons and Empress of Earth. Kessel could live with that.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:17   #19
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
[SIZE=1] Just remember that the victors write the history.

Don't worry. Kessel has already got most of it down in his notes.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:27   #20
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
One more thing. If I remember correctly. The Spartan Federation, yes I said the Spartan Federation, attempted to end the conflict by peacefull means. The Terrans ignored those attempts. What happnes to the TA and Earth is in no means the fault of the Chrion factions. It is the fault of the Terrans
How exactly did they attempt? By sending a couple of messages? Phooey!

Seriously, are we going to escalate this war? And how much?
Old March 4, 2002, 18:47   #21
Sovereign
Prince

Guys, I will go ahead and start writing my third story post, with my carrier jumping in to rescue my crippled Magellan and the Hive ship Skipfire from imminent capture or destruction by Protectorate.

I'd like to get this plot rolling. I still haven't recieved a reply from FC or Lonestar on how to do the next step, "resolution" of this cliff-hanger.

LMP, okay, I'll drop the abalative stuff. What do you think of FC's idea about an advanced H.S.A. that is sentient that acts like an body immune system... once you use a method to hack into it, you can't use it again because the H.S.A. wll adapt. Also, you only have a limited period of time before the H.S.A. detects the hacking entry and eliminates it. So the hacker will have to be pretty quick to do anything.

Plus, my purpose of this Hunter Seeker Algorithm would be to prevent the take-over of my Promethus prototype AI-ship and any robotic units. Remember when NEO took over UCS robots in "Earth: 2150"? That is what I intend for my second project, to develop something that will prevent that kind of thing from happening.

But to make it fair, these prototype war robots and ships WILL malfunction as Univ works out the kinks and refines AI, computer, and robotics technology.

Univ will be the BAC's version of the U.C.S. from Earth 2150 with a blend of Technocracy and cybernetic-eudamonia society. Machines will do all the boring and menial labor, some prototype AI entities, and prototype androids co-exist with humans. Univ has established laws that place AI entities and androids having the same rights as humans... Randius had the foresight to establish this so no mass-AI or android revolts would occur. Univ is delving deeply into computers, computer science, and robotics to make all these things feasible.

For a good reference, Univ would be researching computer and AI fields such as Sentient Ecometrics, Pre-Sentient Algorthims, and Digital Sentience. Also, it is researching Robotic Warfare, Advanced Robotics, and Metamorphic Robotics. Other technology fields have minimal research at the moment. Univ would be the second computer specialized faction, behind the Cyborgs, and this makes sense since in SMAC games, the two factions have very similiar traits of science and research above all, as well as placing emphasis on civil infrastructure rather than war. Univ is seeking the Hive as an ally to compensate for a smallish military.

I'd like the plotline for my faction to proceed towards Hive alliance, and then to support Hive and Terrans in the Chironian-Terran war that is brewing. Univ will supply some technology and participate in some fighting, mainly to acquire Protectorate technologies and lands.

What do you guys think?

by the way, I finally corrected my spelling of the Proc.

I spelled it Procterate ...
Now I'm spelling it Protectorate.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 19:43   #22
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign I'd like the plotline for my faction to proceed towards Hive alliance, and then to support Hive and Terrans in the Chironian-Terran war that is brewing. Univ will supply some technology and participate in some fighting, mainly to acquire Protectorate technologies and lands.

What do you guys think?
Why would the University abandon the Spartan-Drone-Morgan alliance for one with the Hive and Terrans? Isn't that taking a step back?

Surely the PKs aren't going to side with the Terrans.

For that matter, what purpose would the Hive gain by allying themselves with the Terrans? Even if the Hive don't like morgan, surely they don't see the Terrans as a trust worthy ally. Doesn't all this manifest destiny stuff threaten the Hive ever bit as much as the other factions.
Old March 4, 2002, 22:19   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign

I'd like to get this plot rolling. I still haven't recieved a reply from FC or Lonestar on how to do the next step, "resolution" of this cliff-hanger.

I have recieved no such PM.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2002, 22:24   #24
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
Kass, and anyone else: This is what I was talking about in my previous post.

Quote:
Description: The Terran Battlecruiser is the most advance and powerful capital ship ever developed. Actually, the Battlecruiser is the Terran first joint effort to create, supplying the nescessary technologies or helping with the construction. Currently, the Battlecruisers are mainly built by Mars' Utopia Planitia Ship Yards and the TAF Ship Yards around Pluto, in Ross 153 and in Wolf 359. The BCs are the TAF's main Capital Ships with the ability to take over a world by itself. They even more effective in groups. Recently, they have proven themselves at the Battle for Capella. The TAF may of lost the system, but Battlecruisers was able to fight it longer then the average Chironian capital ship there. At one point, a Battlecruiser took about 13 direct Torpedoe hits along with additional Disruptor damage before being destroyed or when a Battlecruiser got kamikaze by a Chironian ship around Terra Nova and survived. Actually, there only a few Battlecruisers were actually completly destroyed. They sure can take a lot of beating and with additional improvements, the BC could be almost impossible to destroy.
Old March 4, 2002, 22:37   #25
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:16
Many apologies Sovereign-I thought I did respond!

Anyway, I was cooking up something but since your carrier is coming I guess my post is moot. But I'm glad someone saw my idea of a sentient HSA!

As for the University-Hive alliance, the Univ's timeline relates to past good relations w/the Hive so... One possibility is that Yang doesn't care about the University's ethics (or lack thereof) and supports the current Provosts view of unrestricted scientific experiments...if it means experimenting on humans, so be it!

Hmmm, it looks like the University's population is small so they use more robots than humans in their military. Mass robots algined with mass Hive soldiers...Yang like.

Going on to the Sol System-

I don't know if people realise it yet but the Terrans and the GHE are in diplomatic talks right now. It looks like the TAF is a powerhouse of its own...with the GHE military to back it up
--->WOW!

Ok, hopefully I will be able to post tonite if I can finish my stupid psych webpage!

Oh yeah Sovereign-

My next post will have Yang's reaction to finding the University and will send them a how-do-you-do. But since Yang doesn't know that Zakharov is dead, he'll have to learn who your new leader is.

(even though Yang has spies all over the galaxy, I think that him not knowing who Randius is will enhance the plot more....make it more interesting)

For Sprayber,

The Hive wants to ally w/the Terrans not because of ideology, but because of matters of convenience. Yes, the Terrans 'manifest destiny' to unite humanity does threaten the GHE (even though they don't consider themselves human anymore...the humans see themselves as Hive citizens). I don't want to give away the plot for the Hive so I'll pm you Spray to explain my stance on this.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Last edited by Frankychan; March 4, 2002 at 22:55.
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2002, 00:12   #26
Sovereign
Prince

FC: PM me your plot idea you were cooking up before I brought up the carrier idea... we can decide which one sounds more interesting and suspenseful.

Lonestar: expect a PM by tomorrow how to resolve the cliffhanger, sorry I thought I did PM you, but guess I didn't.

Sprayber: well, I thought it would be an interesting plot-twist for Univ to abandon its modern day allies for the Hive and Terrans. Has a sort of Machiavellian feel to it, doesn't it? Also, it will put the Univ in an interesting position for further plot-twists worthy of a good soap opera

I can envision three spheres of influence.... Hive-Univ-Terrans-Bree versus Protectorate-Dosi versus Sparta-Morgan-Drone-Gorn... and also, Believers, Cyborgs, Gaians, and Peace-keepers are the unstable elements. Univ abandons the Sparta-Morgan-Drone alliance to even out the Terran-Hive alliance

Then again, I'm only guessing at what the future will bring.

One other thing... I don't know if I want to say this, but I was wondering if we should kill off Peace-keepers and Gaians. They don't have writers writing for them and the story is well underway. I know I came in a little late, and I struggled to adjust historical timelines, my own ideas, and integrate all of it into the storyline and expectations. I am sure it will become even more difficult for the next few new writers if they ever decide to join in, with the war underway and a lot of stuff happened already.

My idea how to eliminate the Peace-keepers and Gaians would be... Suppose Sparta or Hive invades Peace-keepers, seeing that they both hate Peace-keepers. As for Gaians, we could have the Hive backstab the Gaians, or have the Protectorate be involved in their downfall.

I am only saying what is on my mind about these two writer-less factions. By the way, Cyborgs should be left alone on Lalande... out of the way of anyone and anything, not vital territory.

But hey, you guys may disagree, and I'm ok with that. I just had to sound out my thoughts.

P.S. Isn't the Gorn from Star Trek with Kirk?
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2002, 03:34   #27
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:16
I'll post average Hive life on my webpage when I have the chance. Here's a brief summary:

All Hive citizens-Bulwark, Fran, Xiero, Human, and Tarlak-are indoctrinated into the belief of the good of the state. Citizens still maintain their individuality, but only up to a certain point.

More freedom is given to citizens now that Thought Control is in place, however, it is only slightly better.

Each Hive city or "Labrynth" is self-sufficient up to a certain extent. This means that every Hive Labrynth grows it own food, has its own power supply, and so forth. Of course there are exceptions but they are few.

Asceticism is followed heavily by the average citizen and therefore they do not possess much, considering collectables and trinkets unnecessary and distracting to society. Only those of distinguished rank have possessions.

That's all for now...
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2002, 11:11   #28
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 15:16
Starting on a new post...anything I should cover in particular?
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2002, 12:02   #29
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Kass, and anyone else: This is what I was talking about in my previous post.
Ok... I am not going to envelop myself in numerical details. "13 torpedo hits", it can be any sort of torp, a small or a big one, a nuke or a plasma torp.

One could consider this as propaganda. I have not similar faith to the performance of the vessel. And though they might seem strong, they are not that common (at least yet )

Quote:
The BCs are the TAF's main Capital Ships with the ability to take over a world by itself.
I'd take this as propaganda to scare people off. Certainly, a world must be small for a BC to conquer it by itself.

Quote:
The TAF may of lost the system, but Battlecruisers was able to fight it longer then the average Chironian capital ship there. At one point, a Battlecruiser took about 13 direct Torpedoe hits along with additional Disruptor damage before being destroyed or when a Battlecruiser got kamikaze by a Chironian ship around Terra Nova and survived.
Sounds reasonable, as said, they are scarce and can be easily overwhelmed with smaller ships of greater number. I would think that a ship of equal battle, size and speed class would not survive a one-on-one encounter with a BC.
Remember the Scion Ion cannons. They give great battle performance, but reduce the speed and maneuvrability, not to mention the "power down" effect it causes, like the Excalibur's main guns in the debacle Crusader.

Quote:
Actually, there only a few Battlecruisers were actually completly destroyed. They sure can take a lot of beating and with additional improvements, the BC could be almost impossible to destroy.
1. "With additional improvements". So it is lacking in some terms, and it is probably impossible to improve some aspects before the ship class is made completely redundant.

2. "The BC could be almost impossible to destroy". See part 1, also, there are some conditions here, "almost" and "could"... It's not carved in stone.

3. "Actually, there only a few Battlecruisers were actually completly destroyed."

Well, many crippled to very bad condition. Maybe they have a bit sturdier hull which can endure even a reactor explosion.

All in all, I have no doubt that the Terran Battlecruiser can be destroyed in battle. Just not easily, if not then what would be point of constructing such a ship?
Old March 5, 2002, 15:19   #30
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Quote:
Queen Sanchez, ruler of the Saturn moons and Empress of Earth. Kessel could live with that.
Ah... the Unified Kingdom of Sol... ruled by Maria of course!

I guess I should wait for more stuff to happen. I and my faction are extremelly unhappy about the Terran deal with the Hive. We consider such evil empires a threat to humankind. In my coming post (far in the future - I am quite busy), we'll negotiate deals with the SSSH colonies in Saturn orbit. One Q on this:

Would joining up all colonies in the Saturn region and declaring independence from EC trigger another succession war? If so, what would TA do? Otherwise, we'll concentrate on producing and improving our Organic ship designs... Just in case...

Would Morgan be interested in trading some industrial development techs for some advanced biotechnology?