Old April 11, 2002, 00:35   #451
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:

edit: Actually, there is something else I would like to talk about, but it doesn't really have a lot to do with the actual story at the moment. I read over in the Datalinks area that much research is being put into war walkers, in the tradition of Mechwarrior.

The Gears are far better in tech and sense then the crappy walkers in Starwars. Gears aren't like the Mechs either...or as tall for that matter. Gears are like the heavy gears in the heavy gears games and other similar games like amoured core i think.... also similar to the mechas and mobile suits in Robotech and Gundam series.... but shorter.

Novan Clan used Gears with space thrust pacts during that mission to hi-jack the Drone Merchant Cruiser carrying droids...... not sure if anyone posted the "script" thought.

The Gears i have in mind, TA as the technology for. As to where Gears was first invented in the BAC universe, shrugs. Maybe Mars Combine or/and some faction....which the Novans copied and use them as their main ground units...capable of doing some space ops as well.

-LMP
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 00:38   #452
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
Actually War Walkers and battlemechs are horribly inneficent designs compared to what a tank can do. They really are walking big targets compare to the smaller and faster tanks.

And History Guy would you mind if I had the SoG fleet at Capella send a taskforce to help out defend your colonies?

Also since the TAF declared war on the Believers, perhaps the forces that are not fighting under the SoG flag and not holding off the HOGs could form another taskforce and help fight in the war.
Sog or the believers won't be able to get to any of the three systems in time to participate... also, TAF DID NOT declare war on the Believers, EARTH COALITION DID, stupididly and against TA wishes as well.

-LMP
Old April 11, 2002, 03:35   #453
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
A Cadre civil war would be an interesting twist to the story and I'm interested to talk about it. I can say that the Spartans would be very wary to get involved but wouldn't want Lysander to win since he is supported by Yang. But I assume that any overt help by the Spartans may very well hurt Menelaus more than it would help. It might be interesting for the Spartans to enforce some kind of blockage to try and keep supplies from reaching Lysander. That would be done quietly with as little spotlight as possible. Maybe have a long struggle with with Lysander nearly winning and triggering the Spartans to begin the process of sending in forces only to be asked by Menelaus to hold of saying that he is certain that he will prevail. just ideas of course.
Interesting idea. I was thinking of having the whole thing drag out, maybe even long enough for there to be effectively two different factions formed, instead of two sides trying to control one. We'll have to discuss what what will happen in more detail. I shall see if I can maybe draw up a map of Laekdaemon.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 03:44   #454
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
TAF DID NOT declare war on the Believers, EARTH COALITION DID
If the Believers fire on them in a war zone, what's the difference?
Old April 11, 2002, 04:27   #455
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian

Sog or the believers won't be able to get to any of the three systems in time to participate... also, TAF DID NOT declare war on the Believers, EARTH COALITION DID, stupididly and against TA wishes as well.

-LMP
Aye... Though it might seem as an accident on behalf of the writer, I'm starting to think that EC declaring war on the Conclave, against TA agenda, might actually be a good idea plot-wise...

Of course, like Mr President said, the Conclave *did* open fire on TAF ships.

What comes to War Mechas, my only opinion is: Good luck!
For, they are IMO a very inefficient way to wage a ground war... the ECMC rather uses tanks...

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 11, 2002 at 04:32.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 04:36   #456
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Good posts, people. Glad that LMP now has started to write - I will now cease writing for Stormhill & Co. Be in touch from now on, PM or otherwise, regarding Sol affairs.
Old April 11, 2002, 10:03   #457
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Ok do remember that in the eys of the Believers they were drawn into this war by the EC declaring war on them, since the Soliders of God where opearting under the Morgan flag. (semantics I know but isn't that what politics is?)

Ok, so my fleet won't be able to help in time then right?
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 10:14   #458
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President

If the Believers fire on them in a war zone, what's the difference?
SoG are mercenaries hired by the Morganites, quite an difference.
Old April 11, 2002, 10:20   #459
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
Ok do remember that in the eys of the Believers they were drawn into this war by the EC declaring war on them, since the Soliders of God where opearting under the Morgan flag. (semantics I know but isn't that what politics is?)

Ok, so my fleet won't be able to help in time then right?
nope, bvut you can't surprise attack elsewhere...all of TA is in war mode and expecting retalliation from all over...

where did conclave ever fired on the TAF??? SoG did, under Morganite banner.... so politicly, can't blame the Conclave.

not war mechas, gears they can be quite effective if you think about it..... as long as you don't think of them as bulky and slow like Starwars and Battletech.

-LMP
Old April 11, 2002, 10:46   #460
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 15:16
Kass--- Hey wait a second! You'll leave us to Mellian?? Errr...I mean, will you still be doing posts for the TA and EC?
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 10:53   #461
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Um...LMP, no offense, but...

How did you suddenly take Naxos by surprise? They knew you were coming, and they were preparing for action. They were in no way taken by surprise when you attacked, as evidenced by my post.

Second, how did you suddenly get past the Cyclads and head down to two more systems, which will soon be property of the Spartan Federation (as soon as I find time to write the post down)?
Old April 11, 2002, 10:55   #462
History Guy
King

And is Kassiopeia going to do the Samnos post?
Old April 11, 2002, 14:03   #463
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Kass--- Hey wait a second! You'll leave us to Mellian?? Errr...I mean, will you still be doing posts for the TA and EC?
Worry not - the EC is still within my grasp. I meant that Mellian should co-operate with me regarding Sol affairs.

But...

Quote:
And is Kassiopeia going to do the Samnos post?
If you want the situation to advance, leave me out. I can't write... I feel - locked. Can't explain. Nothing serious, just another one of those forsaken writer's blocks.
Old April 11, 2002, 14:15   #464
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 17:16
Just for the record, Ian sent a message to both Morgan and Yang.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 17:17   #465
History Guy
King

OK, Kass. As for the Samnos/Naxos posts...OK. I do disagree with what Mellian has so far written, as I think LMP is making things move faster than they would in actuality move, but that's OK, I suppose. What bugs me most is that the Terrans "completely surprised" my men on Naxos, which can't possibly have been so at all. Sorry!

OK, Lonestar, check! Gotcha!
Old April 11, 2002, 18:02   #466
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Sorry History for not posting anything about our probes - I was extremelly busy so no internet leisure time for me! But now that I see the story, I assume I should wait a tad bit longer, until the posts about Noxos etc are done with...

BTW, Kass, I suggest that we send you a message to send diplomatic teams from Titan and Earth to meet at a TA base on Mars (bit like Camp David or something... ). Maria would just send you a message and leave you space to reply... Is that OK?

BTW, I was thinking also - about Biomachinery...

After we gain acquire Advanced Nanotechnology (please someone help me with a name for the tech) from Morgan, we will be looking to advance our Organic weapons even further. SO I was thinking of devising a system which will cooperate all our war offorts, by combining Biotechnology, the holo war interface Kass described and a genetically and cybernetically enhanced human brain (prefferably of Major Torres, which would be directly linked to Oberon and Titania). Basically this system would control and issue orders, using the most advanced combat algorithms and most tactical human thinking, to our forces to coordinate battle plans extremelly efficiently. Think about this spin off - Major Torres undergoing horror as his brain is transplanted in a tank which will be then connected to a supercombuter...

Just some ideas...

BTW I like Mechs! They are so... mechy...
Old April 11, 2002, 18:05   #467
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Is this power armour?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	x2_armor_fini.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	13264  
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 18:09   #468
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybergod
Is this power armour?
Kinda. "Real" power Armor is on the order of the Marines in Starcraft.

But the benchmark for all powerarmor is the MI in the book(not movie!) Starship Troopers.
Old April 11, 2002, 19:03   #469
History Guy
King

Sprayber, how's this post sound? You guys get 50% of the Co-Operate produce! And you get to handle it's defense!

A post is being written on two characters write now. One is Captain Milo S. Crane, a Naxosian pilot, who is something of an opportunist, looking for bounties on downed or captured enemy vessels. The second is...believe it or not...Ferdinand Delbar, who is getting into the secondary plotline that you guys might enjoy somewhat...
Old April 11, 2002, 21:09   #470
Sprayber
Emperor

Mellian, I do hope you remember that the Spartans have a strike fleet in the Morgan Cooperate Sector. They may not be able to make it to Samnos, but they will be able to make it to the next system that is far closer. And when they do arrive shortly they will be protecting Spartan Territory.

I may be wrong, but are the Spartans the only ones that have peacefully settled a system since this story began?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 21:32   #471
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Mellian, I do hope you remember that the Spartans have a strike fleet in the Morgan Cooperate Sector. They may not be able to make it to Samnos, but they will be able to make it to the next system that is far closer. And when they do arrive shortly they will be protecting Spartan Territory.

I may be wrong, but are the Spartans the only ones that have peacefully settled a system since this story began?
Nope.
Old April 11, 2002, 21:32   #472
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Yes. Yes they are.

The Drone Republic's best carrier task force is coming hot on the heels of your strike fleet as well.
Old April 11, 2002, 22:50   #473
Sprayber
Emperor

Was there anyone here basing their ship designs on Battle Star designs? I have been rounding out the Spartan fleet and have lots of extra picture of ships available for you guys. here are a few examples..
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	battlestar1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	13270  
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old April 11, 2002, 22:55   #474
Sprayber
Emperor

And
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	battlestar2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	13271  
Old April 11, 2002, 23:07   #475
Lonestar
inmate
King

Sprayber, maybe those should go in Datalinks, eh?
Old April 11, 2002, 23:12   #476
Sprayber
Emperor

I have lots more. Just tell me what you have in mind and maybe I might have it somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	interdicter.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	13272  
Old April 11, 2002, 23:14   #477
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Sprayber, maybe those should go in Datalinks, eh?
I thought the data links were supposed to be reserved for faction stuff. These are not Spartan ships in the least. I'm just giving a sample of what I have. The new Spartan ships will be appearing on my page within the next day.

edit: apparently the datalinks are more cluttered than I had known.

Last edited by Sprayber; April 11, 2002 at 23:24.
Old April 11, 2002, 23:51   #478
Lonestar
inmate
King

For the Record, the Hferhin(Protectorate alien-enemies) use Cylon-like ships. (You can see one of them in the Datalinks)
Old April 12, 2002, 00:00   #479
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:16
*sigh*

I thought I asked if we could postpone a GHE-Protectorate altercation??? If the Protectorate launches an attack, the Hive would have no choice but to declare war on Ian, which is something that I as an author DO NOT want right now. If you have any proposal's how we both can reach a happy medium, I would be willing to listen.

I honestly think that there would be no realistic way the Hive would be able to withdraw from Samnos in two days time....directly resulting from the heavy (but totally acceptable) losses it has occured to the technologically superior Morganites. (there History, I gave a little "plug" for you...I feel so-so-so.....dirty)

For the Samnos "incident"-

History Guy, would it be alright if the fighting on Samnos was basically Morgan and Hive P.O.V. with the Terrans playing the backdrop since Kass is having writer's block? I'm crafting a post that has the Morganite damage to Admiral Bippol's ship and what happened in the attack. Anti-Hive people should like it.

BTW, where's Sovereign?

And welcome back Cybergod!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2002, 00:08   #480
Lonestar
inmate
King

::mutters:: I was just gonna bomb the listening post....