Old March 28, 2002, 18:57   #211
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 16:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ok. I'll provide my reasoning for three topics.

I won't use the Warlock ships. I'm getting a little annoyed, because I honestly don't know who has dibs on which ships.

LMP just wrote down his list of dibs, so it would be a good idea if everyone else could do it. That way we can avoid stepping on each other's toes.

I'd like to have two ship standard designs. One is the Imperial star destroyer style, and the other... I have to find a way to take a pic and then paste it here. Its a more circular version of the star destroyers, in a tubelike shape. When I manage to download a free photoshop (Like hell I'm paying 400 dollars for one !!!) I can try and make a rough sketch of the tube-like star destroyers, and post it here (If I manage to get the computer to post the pics here )

Ok, next topic.

About the Prometheus.

I thought that University would have had a lead in FTL research and technologies. They invented FTL in the late 24th century, a full 100 years before Protectorate tested its FTL drive. Yet the Protectorate has 15 ly per day rate while the Chironians had almost a century head start over Protectorate. And all Chironians except University has 10 ly per day FTL rate.

Granted, the other Chironian factions don't research FTL or develop it as much as University does. University has the 15 ly per day FTL drives installed in all their ships like the Protectorate.

Prometheus is an EXPERIMENTAL SHIP, with the very latest in new technologies, including new sensors, weaponary, only ship to have AI, experimental new propulsion systems, new types of equipment, etc. Some of these new systems will flop and fail, while others may become successes.

University is experimenting with a new propulsion core seeing that University should be in the fore-front of new FTL technology research (meaning research into ways to increase FTL speeds). The new reactor provides 10 - 15% more power than regular antimatter reactors, thereby giving a 1 - 3 ly per day boost.

I know you guys said no quantum or singularity engines or reactors, so the experimental reactor will be somewhere between Antimatter and Quantum. Prometheus is the only ship to use the new experimental reactor, and the rest of the space-fleet won't get the upgrades to the new reactor for 10 - 20 more years.

Some of you are probably thinking I want a "Super ship that is undefeatable and unbeatable". You can rest easy, because I have absouletely no intention of involving Prometheus in invasions and taking over worlds. It will play a purely explorationary and defensive role. It won't kill 100 ships in 1 volley or go 100 ly per second, that kind of nonsense.

Prometheus will be exploring several new star systems for a potential 6th or 7th colonization venue. In addition, it will serve as Randius's new base of operations where he'll be safe from assassins, poison, sabotage, etc. So it will be his personal ship, transporting him to important events, political, civil, or military. (It will only defend Randius in the military events, it won't take the offensive or attack enemys unless attacked first.)

So, Prometheus won't be a *big* factor in military events and wars. It would be similiar to the Hive Emperor class battleship that FC posted in his ships homepage.

Next topic.

Berrik Metallic hydrogen ruins.

I was planning to base the Berrik Metallic hydrogen ruins found there on the ones found in Gas Giant Nona in the Lalande system that the Cyborgs currently occupy.

Let me ask you. In the Civ 2: ToT Sci-Fi game, there is a "Mysterious Long Dead Empire" that left orbital platforms, metallic hydrogen cities and bases in a gas giant, and left technological wonders like the monopole magnets all over the Lalande system. Surely an empire capable of these feats is capable of colonizing other star systems, wouldn't you agree?

The Spira solar system happens to be one of the few solar systems that this "Long dead mysterious empire" had colonized, including the Lalande system. The metallic hydrogen just found in Berrik would share extremely similiar, if not exact same, properties of the metallic hydrogen found in the Lalande system.

Don't worry. University will send a team of scientists and researchers to investigate the metallic hydrogen ruins. However, they will spend 10 - 20 years to work on applications of metallic hydrogen such as ship hydrogen plating, metallic hydrogen skycrapers, metallic hydrogen bridges, and so forth.

Basically, the new 18 ly per day engines and the metallic hydrogen won't be widely used in University until 2720 - 2730, or later. Thats a good 20+ years from the current time in the storyline. By then, overall human technology would have improved.

Also, keep in mind the Prometheus is an experimental ship, not meant to go on the offensive war, but rather for a "base of operations" and a defensive ship.

Hope that clears things up.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2002, 18:59   #212
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Oh oh I think I am about to cross-post with Sovereign...

BTW, History, what should we say to Morgan? Should send him a recording of Mr Sym in action?
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2002, 19:12   #213
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 11:16
Cybergod-

I think that the use of psych-whips is acceptable. In the game manual, they use a psych whip on Executive Officer Yang when he wakes up from cryo-sleep.

Yeah, Officer Shantoi should be eliminated! His job is done so he should be thrown away like a used tissue.

History Guy- We would gladly welcome Mr. Ku.

We would also like to talk with him.....before sending him to one of our enhanced punishment sphere's.

For my pics, I'll try posting them in the BAC Datalinks Thread. Maybe you'll be able to see them there. Sorry!

Wow! Its a busy day today!

Sovereign-

Got a little worried...haven't heard from you in days....(Silence and General Tacticus too). Anyway, sorry for not sending a reply to your message. I'll get on that ASAP.

As for your argument, I think it has a valid basis. The University would have better tech than the rest of us, Terran, Chironian, Protectorate, or GHE. I would think that since the University developed FTL travel before anyone else did, they would have more time to modify and enhance FTL concepts. But to be fair, I would say that it wouldn't be a BIG difference. So, if Chironian travel is the fastest, University scientists would have discovered a way to make their FTL engines move slightly faster...maybe 3 or 4 increments faster.

How I view the Prometheus is that since it obviously is the flagship of the UCSS, it should be unique and have experimental University technology on it. Like Sovereign says, some of their technology would fail...maybe because the theory behind it's concept was flawed and the tech would be removed or replace with slightly lower level tech.

Remember that we are trying to create a new world based on SMAC, so some of the factional elements should remain.

Ok now its time to talk about my ships-

I just want to explain basic concepts about my ships...even though this part should be under the Datalinks Thread.

The Emperor-Class Hive ship is not an unbeatable weapon (SSD in Star Wars or Death Star, for example). I plan on using this ship for very important parts of the Hive story. This isn't just a regular Corvette! But it will take a lot of manpower to engage and damage this vessel.

Using idea's from Mellain/LMP, Sprayber, and History Guy:

Engagements and battles will usually result in HEAVY casualties for the Hive (directly resulting from quantity over quality idea). This isn't to say that we will always succeed, but in a protracted battle, the war of attrition will favor the Hive.

Whew! K, I think I've covered what I wanted to say. My bad if it seems like I'm ranting or -ing!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Last edited by Frankychan; March 28, 2002 at 19:37.
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2002, 20:42   #214
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 15:16
Cyber-- Ah, yes, that'd do splendidly.

Franky-- That's right, the Spartans did use a psych whip on old the old Yanglet. Man...if only they'd flattened his cerebral cortex...

Oh man, Franky, you'll never get your paws on Mr. Ku, I'm afraid, but he might just get his on Mr. Sym. In fact, I should say that Mr. Ku will personally be making a visit to him in about seven hundred posts from now... I've got some plans for Ku and M.I.A. Mr. Ku has always been a source of grief for old Yang. He was trouble back on Chiron, he did in poor old Ehud, and the lot. He knows the Hive better than anyone in Morgan-land next to Nwabudike himself.

All-- I'll be posting in the datalinks sometime in the very near future. I'm just about to edit the characters page to include several more fellars. I'm working on a piece on the different political parties in Morgan Interstellar, the Sea Peoples (Cepheleens), and the Black Shadow group.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2002, 00:42   #215
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If it wasn't for the recent addition to The Hunt,, you wouldn't guess I was still alive, would you? But I'm on a mid-semester break starting today, and I might start doing the next Drone Republic story addition, cryptically entitled "The Temple Speaks" later this afternoon.
Old March 29, 2002, 14:48   #216
Cybergod
Prince

Like my reply?

Even if you don't - ts NOYB!

Old March 29, 2002, 15:33   #217
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Sorry for not posting, coupled with school work with half the time I try to connect here it doesn't work I can see what is going on.

I was thinking, what does Morgan want to the SoG to do now?
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2002, 15:52   #218
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

1. I've FINALLY managed to post a picture attachment in the datalinks. I posted a pic of my general idea of the cylinder shaped second variation of the star destroyer.

2. I've given some thought to the name of the new FTL reactor. It will be called Hypermatter, which is slightly advanced than antimatter. For a more detailed explaination of this, either search Lycos, or this good Star Wars v.s. Star Trek webpage

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html

What do you guys think of these two things, the ship design and the hypermatter reactor?

3. Expect an post by this weekend or next week when I try and plan out who, what, how, etc. to do the next stage of the robot terrorism and whatever replies to Hive and any other factions.

Don't worry, I'm still alive and kicking, fellow authors
Old March 29, 2002, 19:29   #219
Sovereign
Prince

I finished posting the rest of the ship pics in the data-links thread.

I also made adjustments and changes to my ship info list in that thread to reflect the new changes, like no Warlocks, dropping the Defiant class in favor of another destroyer type, additional stats, etc.

Some of you may wonder "what the hell is up with having 45,000 people in a 2,500 meter long ship"

Well, I'm using the rough figures from the Star Wars universe. My 2,500 kilometer ships are based on the the Star Destroyer. But the Star Destroyer in Star Wars is 1,600 meters long, and has 37,000 people on it. So I made a rough estimate and ratio of a 2.5 km Star Destroyer.

Then I based the rest of my estimates on that scale, to 180,000 people on a 6.1 kilometer carrier hybrid, to 2,000 people on a 300 meter long destroyer. Keep in mind, the destroyer is like 50 meters by 300 meters for a rough volume of 15,000 square meters. A person is about 1 square meter or less, depending on a person's height... 6 feet tall person and only 2 feet wide, approx. 1 sq. meter if the person is scrunched tight like in yoga 2,000 people can fit in that 15,000 square meter destroyer space easily based on the Star Wars crew ratio and real life human "cubic" size for a total of 2,000 square meters. That leaves 13,000 square meters for armor, weapons, engines, etc. which usually accounts for 75% or more of a ship's volume.

Whew, hope that makes any sense at all

Let me know what you guys think!

Meanwhile... (Prepares himself for more criticism from our beloved Mellian)

Old March 30, 2002, 11:56   #220
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Sounds good Mr. Prez.

Where's Lonestar?? I want to know what happened to Lord Protector Ian!!

It's a good post, Cyber. Of course, it's not something the CEO wants to hear!!

Silence-- Nothing really, at the moment. He may consider splitting the SoG fleet, and sending several patrols to protect some colonies and space stations on the Terran borders. The smaller ships he will keep in Capella to help whip the remaining Terrans there.

The pictures look good, Franky and Sovereign. Franky, the CEO would like to shoot down some of them ships about now!
Old March 30, 2002, 14:57   #221
Cybergod
Prince

Just rewised my latest post - while I reread it found many bugs. Like not telling Morgan that Mr Sym has escaped etc.

Love all of your people's ship designs.

History, I hope Quantum Shadow arrives unharmed...
Old March 30, 2002, 17:25   #222
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
*surfaces*

Has anyone ever actually taken a shot at explaining what exactly is Quantum Tunneling? Just asking.

*heads back down to lay low*
Old March 30, 2002, 17:56   #223
History Guy
King

No!!! WAIT!! Get back up here, Kass!!

You shall now have to declare war on Morgan and hook up with old Sheng-ji for an attack on Samnos and Naxos. Samnos will fall first, and will be taken quickly, at minimal loss to you and Franky. It is only defended by two fighters and twelve orbital platforms/cannons. Naxos, on the other hand, has several orbital platforms, cannons, and other defenses, as well as a full squadron of Morganite ships, including two battleships. You'll lose a greater amount of ships and men there.
Old March 30, 2002, 18:00   #224
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Oh... tomorrow? 'tis Easter holidays, thank god.

And HG, how is it that you seem to always be here simultaniously with me?
Old March 30, 2002, 19:29   #225
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

My billet family invited me for supper tonite...so using their computer so don't expect much of a reply from me for a week or two after this.... unless i find net accessible computers

Quote:
Are my ships o.k. Thread Enforcer? I just put their role in the Hive Navy, rather than having exact specifications. I kept with your idea that we wouldn't have much ships larger than Corvette-class...but also put in that one grand ship for the Emperor (*sniff* I smell Star Wars here *sniff*)...anyway, R they ok?
I didn't play wing commander, but that megacarrier is a beauty thought anyway, it is okay.... just wondering about the sizes of the carriers and the emperor ships. Hive can have more then corvettes you know

-LMP
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2002, 19:29   #226
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Has anyone ever actually taken a shot at explaining what exactly is Quantum Tunneling?
It's not entirely clear what it is or what causes it; many of our best scientists are not sure themselves. It seems to be a phenomenon that occurs only at the quantum level, where a particle basically teleports to a nearby location, bypassing any physical, electrostatic, or gravitational boundaries. There is a miniscule but non-zero chance that conventionally-sized objects can experience it. I read someplace that if you could walk into a wall once every second, after an amount of time greater than the lifespan of the universe had elapsed, you would move through the wall.
Old March 30, 2002, 19:33   #227
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Mr President: You mean that this is a thing already speculated in actual scientific basis before? You see, I do know of things like this, but couldn't quite add the word pair Quantum Tunneling to the Finnish correspondants.

It's just that I seem to have the talent of writing scientific gibberish that's probably entirely unpossible and fictional, but, I'll be damned, sounds impressive.
Old March 30, 2002, 19:57   #228
Mr. President
Emperor

Oh yes, quantum tunneling is talked about by real theoretical physicists. They claim to have observed it at sub-atomic level.

The whole thing worries me, particularly the fact that relativity and quantum mechanics are completely incompatible. Quantum gravity seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, and superstring theory sounds more unworkable with every day that passes, so I don't know where they will go from here.
Old March 30, 2002, 20:06   #229
Mellian
Queen

Sovereign....

Protectorate has 15/ly drives now.... doesn't mean they all ways had it that fast. They also develop FTL tech by themselves, basing it on some ruins at their graveyard world... which the Fraal who created the wormhole to Beta Hydri forgotten about...

University will of course have an edge in FTL tech, since they are the ones who first develop FTL and then force to give up the initial techs to the rest of the chiron factions. Anyway, University already as a edge in FTL drive then the rest of Chiron factions.

Now, about reactors... I already said before that FTL drives are sensitive and quite complex...which is why it is a slow process to fine tune FTL drives to higher speeds, which humanity is doing so gradually. so it is pretty easy to connect a fusion reactor and up to a FTL drive, if you develop the tech to properlly convert that power to a FTL..... to much power to a FTL will only short circuit it and ruin it.... so factions will have to learn to improve FTL drives so they don't get ruined by to much power. also, don't confuse Matter/Antimatter reactor and the use of Antimatter as a fuel for the FTL drive. Right now, all factions except University apparently and maybe the Hive, with their minor tech help from the bree, don't have reactors connected to their FTL drives... they have a seperate power source for FTL drives and that is Antimatter only as a fuel.... no matter/antimatter reaction.... That is why the Morganites is into the FTL business and making a profit by producing Antimatter and FTL Drives.... and don't think they will be interested in Reactor to FTL technology, as they will lose their Antimatter business... like Oil Companies not wanting Car companies to invent a engine that doesn't depend on gasoline. now, university has the matter/antimatter reactor tech and the ability to connect their FTL drives to it, without wrecking the drive, not needing to depend on antimatter fuel, but the FTL drive itself right now can only tolerate certain amount of power.... which is up to 15ly/day in average.... Bigger ships needs slightly more power for them to use FTL....while smaller ships do not.... SO, don't need some new Reactor base on something we never heard/read of.

As for Metallic hydrogen...... those platforms hidden in the Gas Giant in Lalande isn't metallic hydrogen, they are different metals of an advance nature. The ancient civilization if built it could be the same ones who constructed the stargates. Also, university will get access to Lalande as the Cyborgs won't allow it.... they been denying access to their system since they called dibs upon it for their own personal reasons....and they are not saying why... meaning, other factions don't have much knowledge of the system, or what they have there.... they don't know that there is a human society from the survivors of UNS Hope developing there along with seperate alien humanoid species. There may be rumours, but not enough to mount any action against the Cyborgs who is leaving them alone, and being nice enough to share their big tachyon comm network. Since i am not able to play very much, rather leave the Cyborgs and Lalande alone.

All and all, no transphasicplasma reactors or metallic hydrogen...especially by 2720-30!... as they both don't make sense and seem unpracticle anyway. As for 18ly/day... maybe by 2720-2730...but not now. University already as a edge in FTL and 18ly/day to a single capital ship and not the rest of the fleet doesn't make sense.... FTL is a important tech and doubt anyway will put it off until later.

-LMP

-LMP
Old March 30, 2002, 20:34   #230
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
2. I've given some thought to the name of the new FTL reactor. It will be called Hypermatter, which is slightly advanced than antimatter. For a more detailed explaination of this, either search Lycos, or this good Star Wars v.s. Star Trek webpage
I say no to Hypermatter too...because the info about it on that site is just exagerations and stats, no concept or theory.... just reminds me of a super large Fusion Reactor and don't where that webperson got his hypermatter thing from.

as for the site in general, way to pro-starwars with quite an exageration on Starwars techs and heavily underestimating Startrek tech. Anyway, both universes are mest up technology wise anyway

-LMP
Old March 30, 2002, 20:42   #231
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Meanwhile... (Prepares himself for more criticism from our beloved Mellian)

Of course thats what happens when you base your stuff on technology screwed up and exagerative sci-fis.

Imperial Star Destroyers are 1.6 and the mark 2 and 3 at 1.7 km.

The amount of crew they need is exagerative...unless their computer technology is terrible..... which is odd... if they can make sentient androids, you would think they can make decent ship techs and use automation considerably more Now, for a faction that suppose to be generally more advance then the other chiron factions and terrans (on par with the Protectorate)...why would they use so much people to opperate a single ship when their tech can seriously downsize the amount of manpower needed?

the Terran BC uses a crew of 1 000 for crying out loud

-LMP
Old March 30, 2002, 20:53   #232
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Oh yes, quantum tunneling is talked about by real theoretical physicists. They claim to have observed it at sub-atomic level.

The whole thing worries me, particularly the fact that relativity and quantum mechanics are completely incompatible. Quantum gravity seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, and superstring theory sounds more unworkable with every day that passes, so I don't know where they will go from here.
see people? all BAC techs is base on real life theories and secondelly from other Credible sci-fis.

just out of curiousity, does anyone ever read anything on the Observer Effect? or something like that.

Way i see Quantum Tunneling is stretching a light beam and fit a ship into it... and the power is use to push the ship across the tunnel.

Anyway, how you know relativity and quantum mechanics is uncompatible? Anyway, anything is possible if we put our minds to it... if we believe it is possible without a doubt, then it shall be. The universe is formed by our minds don't you... we are all gods, weare the ones forming this physical universe (plus whatever other sentient or non-sentient beings out there).

Besides, if we can stop Light, then accelerating it is possible

-LMP
Old March 31, 2002, 00:22   #233
Mr. President
Emperor

How do I know that quantum mechanics and relativity are incompatible? I suppose I don't know it personally, but it's generally accepted that they are. The former describes a universe ruled by probability, whereas the latter is more of an "old-fashioned" physics theory which is strongly deterministic.

The universe is formed by our minds . . . So you believe that there is no limit to what science can achieve? I have to disagree. There is always going to be something which is out of our grasp. The human brain is simply not built to know everything that there is to know.

edit: By this, of course, I mean that it is a finite instrument. No finite instrument can comprehend an object of functionally infinite complexity such as the universe.
Old March 31, 2002, 16:30   #234
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian

the Terran BC uses a crew of 1 000 for crying out loud

-LMP
And even that is kinda much. (ECSN Battle Carrier, ~600 to 700 crew, 200 pilots)

Considering the fact there are sophisticated computer systems (like the Colonial AI on Titan) and advanced graphical and mechanical interfaces (like the holographic interface Admiral Kamalakara used on the Galaxy in the Battle of Titan), need of manpower is, as pointed out, very small.

Getting a sense (and attempting to define military-wise tactical and thus important concepts and boundaries) to the term that is...

Quantum Tunneling.

Obviously, it has something to do with 1) Quantums and 2) Tunnels, more accurately, *making* tunnels.

Of course, the *energy resource* could be connected to Quantums or Tunneling - Some sort of fuel that is used fora generator that can convert the space around the ship smaller etc.

So, what do we know of Quantums (Qs)? They are very small particles, that can carry an electronic charge (With the possibility of Q-Computers and all?). Now, let's think. Will our Tunnel that we will create and/or use, will it be made of Qs, will it be as big as Qs, or will the ship travelling within it be reduced to Qs?

The First Option. A Tunnel made of Quantums. This could be some sort of a dimensional shortcut, a bind that brings to corners of the universe close together so that the ship can leap from one corner to another. The reason for not using this to traverse infinitely big distances could be explained with the humongous need of energy etc.

The Second Option. Quantum-sized Tunnels. Well, basically, this is Option One, but could be diversified and/or separated by leaving actual Quantums out, and making the tunnel sized of Quantums, or bring the Quantum thingie more closer.

The Third Option. Ships sized of Quantums. Now this could be interesting; a ship could have a containment field of, say, neutron particles, that prevent stray particles from jolting the ship off the tunnel, or to screw up it's energetic state (this is kind of what the Ragnarok incident is implying to).
The ship could be "Quantumized", so that it's mass is reduced to almost zero, yet it could carry a statial pattern that would allow it to rematerialize itself. This could be combined with options 1 and 2 to minimize the need of energy and to bring the numbers to not-that-Star-Trek -levels. Of course, explaining why this couldn't be used in some other applications would be a different thing altogether.

Mr President posted something interesting;

Quote:

It's not entirely clear what it is or what causes it; many of our best scientists are not sure themselves. It seems to be a phenomenon that occurs only at the quantum level, where a particle basically teleports to a nearby location, bypassing any physical, electrostatic, or gravitational boundaries. There is a miniscule but non-zero chance that conventionally-sized objects can experience it. I read someplace that if you could walk into a wall once every second, after an amount of time greater than the lifespan of the universe had elapsed, you would move through the wall.
Hmmm, a ship that seeks faults in the quantum state of the universe and then peruses them in travelling - increasing the chances of this "penetration" of the wall greatly?
How about making our QT device a "search engine"? It would search for miniscule quantum 'ridges' or 'disrepancies', small shafts in the space-time continuum's fabric and then would allow the ship to "ride" them and jump distances? Like seeking water currents on the seas on Earth. The "Slipstream" is IMO something like this. These shafts would be very common, and locating and riding them would be simple, but would consume a whole lot of energy.

So far, it would be obvious that the following conditions need to be met for a ship to succesfully get to FTL.

Equipment.

A ship capable of housing the following list of equipment: A Quantum Tunneling Device, several, pending on form and size of the ship; Enough fuel (Like Elerium) to fuel the QTD; A Power Generator sturdy enough to spark the QT effect to take place and to keep the ship going; possibly a protective energy field or barrier of sorts to keep the ship safe while in transit.

Place and time.

Well, depending on what the method of QT will be, probably a lot of clear space around it to avoid any dangerous situations; enough time for the Equipment to heat up properly and work; and, probably, there would have to be a limited amount of external kinetic energy, i.e. gunfire, in the zone. Also, pending on the to-be method, it could be possible for the QT to be entirely impossible for a moment, or in certain places. Maybe minimal gravitic effect to avoid getting off course, like a gravity well of a planet distorting the Quantum shafts mentioned before. Also, navigating to FTL in gas clouds could be hindered somehow.

All this can also rely on how the scanners on the BAC ships function.

This is what fifteen minutes of off-hand speculations could produce. Discuss.

My head hurts.
Old March 31, 2002, 19:26   #235
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Sounds good Mr. Prez.

Where's Lonestar?? I want to know what happened to Lord Protector Ian!!
:: Stumbles out of wilderness ::

What happened to who how now?

I'm waiting for Franky's response to the Lord Protector's letter.

I think in a little while here, the Protectorate is going to anounce itself to all Human factions...and offer to mediate the Morgan Industries-TA conflict.

And then, possibly propose a Human League of Nations, named after the Iroqouis 5 Nations, the "Hodenosaunee League" (Iroqouis for "The People")

I plan to conspiciously leave the GHE out of the invitation.

Comments?

(This will NOT unify all of Humanity, just give a common organization for everyone to jon. Akin to the UN)
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2002, 00:23   #236
Mr. President
Emperor

Kass,

I like your ideas about quantum tunnelling, particularly the idea of seeking naturally-occurring quantum tunnelling events. Perhaps the enormous energy source is used to enlarge the event and basically point it in the right direction, and then to hold it "open" while the ship passes through. Given the nature of tunnelling, travel would probably be very, very fast. You would probably emerge almost immediately on the other side.
Old April 1, 2002, 02:16   #237
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Wow Lonestar-

We haven't heard from you in a while...

I figured Lonestar+Texan+Spring Break= Parties.

Anyway, my bad dude. I didn't know you were waiting for me.
I think our two governments relationships will reach a new.....level.

*rubs hands together, Mr. Burns-style*

'...League of Nations' huh? Protector Ian obviously does not know history. That's ok that Emperor Yang is not involved...
He would obviously see this as an attempt to bend the other governments to serve the Protectorate and be nothing but pawns.

...now if they were to ally themselves with the Hive Empire, they would see that they were equals instead of pawns...

Mellian-

Thanx for the input. As for the sizes, I'm workin' on it!
As for the 'Vettes, I was thinking that this ship would be the most common ship in the Hive fleet. Of course we'd have others but in space battles, Hive enemies would see many of these ships.

Last edited by Frankychan; April 1, 2002 at 04:10.
Old April 1, 2002, 14:34   #238
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Kass,

I like your ideas about quantum tunnelling, particularly the idea of seeking naturally-occurring quantum tunnelling events. Perhaps the enormous energy source is used to enlarge the event and basically point it in the right direction, and then to hold it "open" while the ship passes through.
Thank you. The idea you particularly mentioned occurred to me just when I was posting the text, and like always, the last minute ideas are usually the best ones.

And it gives that feeling of being on the mercy of the nature, and it resembles sailing the seas in a way.

Quote:
Given the nature of tunnelling, travel would probably be very, very fast. You would probably emerge almost immediately on the other side.
Yes, but it shouldn't be that instantaneous. Of course, it could be a multitude of short tunnels, thus lengthening time of travel.
Old April 1, 2002, 15:08   #239
Sovereign
Prince

Thanks Mellian.

I feel so silly, I didn't think of cutting down ship crews due to automation and computers!!!

(Proceeds around and smacks his head in every wall in existence)

1. I'll fix the crew numbers.

2. The Hypermatter... well I was looking thru the websites for pic's of the Star Destroyers to post on the datalinks as you suggested, Mellian. Thats how I came across the Hypermatter idea, and I thought it made sense.

I'm not a big science geek who knows every technology that are feasible and which ones aren't. But thanks Mellian for correcting my mistakes in that area. I appreciate it, I really do!

I'll drop the Hypermatter reactor and use a "refined Antimatter reactor" instead. How does that sound?

Quote:
University already as a edge in FTL and 18ly/day to a single capital ship and not the rest of the fleet doesn't make sense.... FTL is a important tech and doubt anyway will put it off until later.
Well, the Prometheus is a prototype, and prototypes always have new tech and experimental devices, engines, weapons, etc built into them. Thats the purpose of the prototype, to test it out. THEN the 18 ly engines will be upgraded in the older ships by 2720 or 2730, and that fits in with your idea, Mellian
Quote:
As for 18ly/day... maybe by 2720-2730...but not now

3. Do you think the "cylinder" ships are ok Mellian? They somewhat reflect the Star Destroyers, but in a much more round shape. They have a vague triangle shape, from front to back, like the Aegis cruiser.

4. About Metallic hydrogen.

I understand your criticisms. Ahh!!! Now I remember... its solid hydrogen, isn't it? I think I'll go back to ToT and look up in the Civiliopedia to double check if its Solid Hydrogen, Metallic Hydrogen, or whatever the material the platforms in Nona are made of.

I was thinking about having the "long dead Lalande ancient empire" ruins in the Spira system to show that the empire wasn't just confined to one system. It obviously had space travel and superior technology compared to humans and Protectorate and Dosi. A civilization or empire that advanced should be able to colonize worlds, or at least set up food or research outposts in other star systems.

A good similiar parallel would be the T'Kon empire from Star Trek. That empire was mostly in one solar system, but left outposts in other systems which were research centers, listening outposts, etc.

So University accidentally discovered the ruins of one of that Lalande empire's research outposts or ruins of its small colony.

What I have in mind would be a much smaller and "scaled down" version of the floating platforms from Nona, with interesting artifacts and gizmos, as well as provide University new insight in new matter compression technologies (like Solid Hydrogen, I think). BUT, that new matter compression technology won't be fully understood for a decade or more, then University will have to prototype it. Then after the prototype, then a ramping-up of upgrading to older vessels. These upgrades won't happen until 2730 or so, about the same time Prometheus will perhaps be mass produced (if the prototype works out well)

The ruins would be similiar to the mysterious temple in Drone territory, that is being studied, but doesn't give up its secrets readily or easily.

I'm not saying there's like 500 ruins. I'm using an established ancient civilization from ToT, and it's a part of BAC (Lalande). The Lalande system exists in that universe. Therefore, the ancient empire should have existed in BAC's past, and have had some sphere of influence or colonized at least a couple of systems.

I'm not trying to involve the Cyborgs or Lalande. I'm trying to show that the Lalande empire DID colonize at least a system and left ruins there. The ruins will be out of the Cyborgs jurdisction, so no need to worry about Cyborgs being involved. University wouldn't know it's the same people or similiar ruins to Lalande.
Old April 1, 2002, 15:17   #240
Frankychan
King

Lonestar-

good post! should prove interesting when Protectorate unveils itself and Yang decides to warn the other governments...

About Gaian infiltrators, there would only be 3 or 4 sanctioned Gaian-Hive research stations in the Empire. At first I only wanted the one on New Lanark (Alynzia came into BAC before I did). Hope this helps but I don't think the Protectorate will get much info from the Gaian's cause they are heavily restricted.