Old March 4, 2002, 05:49   #1
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Goody huts and 1.17
Started a new game yesterday and found four goody huts on my Island. Now for the questions:

1. I thought that reloading still worked for goody huts. It's doesn't seem to any more. Could just be me though.

2. Out of the four huts three gave me angry X tribes. This seemed excessive to me. Especially as they were the only goody huts on the island. Reloading didn't help (see one).

3. Which factors influence what the goody hut turns out to be. Number of cities? Proximity to cities? Unit checking them? Number of beakers? The techs you've already discovered?

Robert
Old March 4, 2002, 05:56   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 16:16
Re: Goody huts and 1.17
Quote:
Originally posted by kailhun
1. I thought that reloading still worked for goody huts. It's doesn't seem to any more. Could just be me though.
No... it's not just you. The random "number" is saved, you can reload all you want and the goody hut remains the same. However, if you really want to change it... reload, and perform some other action that uses the current random variable... attack a unit, lob a shell... and then try the hut again

Quote:
2. Out of the four huts three gave me angry X tribes. This seemed excessive to me. Especially as they were the only goody huts on the island. Reloading didn't help (see one).
Yeah... huts just aren't what they used to be. However, if you have an expansionist civ, the huts are better.

Quote:
3. Which factors influence what the goody hut turns out to be. Number of cities? Proximity to cities? Unit checking them? Number of beakers? The techs you've already discovered?
Nothing except the above mentioned expanionist civs... just random. If anybody else has "proved" anything, please let us know
Old March 4, 2002, 06:40   #3
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 15:16
Huts won't give you the tech you are currently researching, unless it is the only Ancient Era tech left that you have all the pre-requisites for. Huts can only give Ancient Era techs.

I have also noticed that opening a goody hut with cultural borders never yeilds a settler. Any hut opened on the first turn (4000BC) has never yeilded a settler for me either. I don't know if this is just because I have been unlucky, or if it is programmed that way.
Old March 4, 2002, 06:56   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson

I have also noticed that opening a goody hut with cultural borders never yeilds a settler. Any hut opened on the first turn (4000BC) has never yeilded a settler for me either. I don't know if this is just because I have been unlucky, or if it is programmed that way.
I think you're right about that, I can't seem to recall ever getting a Settler that way either.
Old March 4, 2002, 07:13   #5
Aeson
Emperor

I just edited a map to check, giving scouts 55 movement and treats all terrain as roads. Filled the map with goody huts, and no settlers in over 150 huts the first turn. The next turn I got a settler early on (I think hut 6), but no more that turn. This was done on Deity with an Expansionist Civ.

I just kept track of results until I had gotten to the Middle Ages. It seems that goody huts don't give techs if you are in the Middle Ages, even if The Republic and Monarchy are still available. Goody huts can give those techs if the Middle Ages haven't been reached yet.

Warriors: 4
Empty: 23
Settler: 0
Techs: 18
Maps: 5
Gold: 5

I'm attaching the Scenario if anyone wants to fool around with it. I'd recommend using the multi.sav trick, as when opening lots of huts quickly the map doesn't seem to update well.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip goodyhut.zip (16.4 KB, 1 views)
Old March 4, 2002, 07:33   #6
Willem
Emperor

Are you using the new patch or 1.16f? I find that 1.17f gives out a lot more in the way of units, especially if you are using the earlier patch, before they fixed a couple of things. Playing the Americans, I typically get at least 2 Armies from huts, as well as Workers and Settlers. It seems to me that your unit results are actually quite low, at least compared to what I'm seeing in my games.
Old March 4, 2002, 10:25   #7
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Huts won't give you the tech you are currently researching, unless it is the only Ancient Era tech left that you have all the pre-requisites for. Huts can only give Ancient Era techs.

In both cases, it happened to me. I got settlers in both cases. Just one time with the border thing but 2 times for the goody hut on the first turn. In fact, it happened to me on my last game.
Old March 4, 2002, 14:56   #8
RickBlaine
Chieftain

May just be coincidence, but I had never gotten a settler from a goodie hut in Civ3 prior to 1.17f, but have gotten quite a few after installing the 1.17f patch(and in rather limited play, since I am pretty much disenchanted with Civ 3, even more so after the changes to science research in that patch).
Old March 4, 2002, 15:12   #9
Rimpy
Settler

Quote:
Any hut opened on the first turn (4000BC) has never yeilded a settler for me either. I don't know if this is just because I have been unlucky, or if it is programmed that way.
You've been unlucky. It's happened to me -- once in about a hundred games, mind you, but it's possible nevertheless. Here's the file, see for yourself. No mods have been used.

Rimpy
Attached Files:
Old March 4, 2002, 15:16   #10
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 13:16
Expanionist
Expanionist trait stinks... so they prolly decided to make it better...
Old March 4, 2002, 17:59   #11
Aeson
Emperor

I'm using 1.17f, the "fixed" version. The first version of the patch they released had the wrong civ3mod.bic file, and thats why people were/are getting armies and such from goody huts.

I just downloaded and played your save Rimpy, and the hut gives me a warrior. If I had to guess I would say that you have the first version of 1.17f.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:08   #12
Willem
Emperor

If you're like me and enjoy that "bug", it's easy enough to put back the possibility of getting Armies from huts. In the editor, just highlight Barbarian Chiefdom for any units you would like to have appear. Frankly, I think getting an Army this way evens things out for peaceful players who otherwise would have a hard time getting a Leader in order to build their first Army. And you need that first one in order to get Heroic Epic etc.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:52   #13
Rimpy
Settler

Quote:
I just downloaded and played your save Rimpy, and the hut gives me a warrior. If I had to guess I would say that you have the first version of 1.17f.
That is true. I downloaded 1.17f right after it was released early on 2/14. Then I downloaded the updated editor after it was discovered that the wrong editor was released. I thought that would bring everything up-to-date. Not true? I guess that after this game, I'll uninstall it completely, and re-install it with the latest patch. I sure wish that Firaxis could get their releases straight.

In any case, that attached game gives me another settler in 4000 BC. I didn't know it was a bug, but I sure wish it was a feature. Although getting an early extra settler or an army does admittingly make the game a little too lopsided.

Rimpy
Old March 4, 2002, 22:42   #14
Aeson
Emperor

No need to go through a complete re-install, just need the updated .bic file. I'll post my 1.17f .bic which hasn't been modified at all. It really isn't that big a deal except in competitions like the GOTM at CivFanatics or the Tournements here at Apolyton. It is nice to know why some people have been able to get settlers on 4000BC while others can't.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civ3mod.zip (15.7 KB, 5 views)
Old March 5, 2002, 10:55   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:16
Aeson (& others),

I have gotten a settler in 4000bc. Founded city, *bam* popped settler from the hut next door. It was a beautiful thing. It's only happened once, but it definitely happened. Monarch level, non-expansionist tribe.

-Arrian

p.s. And yet, I have *never* gotten an army. Hmm... which 1.17 do I have? I downloaded it the day after it was first made available, and also downloaded the proper editor. Do I still have a "faulty" 1.17??

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:11   #16
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

p.s. And yet, I have *never* gotten an army. Hmm... which 1.17 do I have? I downloaded it the day after it was first made available, and also downloaded the proper editor. Do I still have a "faulty" 1.17??
Check your editor. If all the units are highlighted for Barbarian Chiefdom, then you have the "buggy" 1.17f. If not, just check the units you want to have appear in goody huts. I'm getting quite a number of Armies from huts myself, sometimes 2 or 3 per game. Mind you I'm playing an expansionist civ, so maybe that makes a difference as well.
Old March 7, 2002, 15:56   #17
Egyptian
Settler

Settlers and Armies in Huts
Since installing the 1.17 patch, I get more settlers out of huts, and far fewer friendly warriors which I used to get all the time. Two times I have experienced settlers pop out of huts when it was opened by the expansion of my borders in 4000BC. That was playing on a standard map, warlord level as Egyptian.

On the game I am currently playing (also Egyptian and warlord), I hit about eight huts and got one settler, some money, maps and a couple pissed off barbs. However, the civ above me, China, and the civ below me, JApan, both got armies out of goodie huts. Both of them filled there armies with warriors, and later on while I wiped their civs off the face of the planet, each army was easily beaten with one cavalry.
Old March 7, 2002, 16:14   #18
godinex
Prince

Quote:

In many times I get settler fromn my cultural borders. And I say MANY times.
Old March 7, 2002, 19:19   #19
Aeson
Emperor

I usually open huts with units, not cultural borders. I was just refering to the 4000BC hut which is opened by building your first city. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I don't know that I've ever opened a hut with cultural borders in any other circumstances.

For you people who have gotten a 4000BC Settler from a hut, do any of you have the fixed .bic file? To check, just follow Willem's instructions.