Old March 4, 2002, 10:24   #1
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How much pollution to one Global Warming?
On my last game I was producing 6-7 pollution for a while, then as the mass transit and recycling kicked in, about 2-3 pollution. In both cases all the pollution was removed in that turn. Oddly enough even in the last period I got 'Global Warming has ...'.
What is the relationship between the amount of pollution and GW?

Robert

PS. The GW wasn't caused by pollution in other empires because there was only one foreign city left.
Old March 4, 2002, 10:32   #2
Spec
Emperor

There is little point in worrying about global warming, since there isn't anything you can do about it. Also, if memory serves, unlike in previous Civ games, global warming has nothing at all to do with the number of polluted squares and how long they have been polluted. I'll check when I get home tonight, but I read something to that effect in either the manual, or the strategy guide. I think it has to do with the number of pollution points.

So, the question then turns to pollution, not global warming. If a square is polluted, my people can't work it. So I clean it up. I also build mass transit and/or recycling centres as required, and don't build many factories. If global warming is indeed caused by pollution points and not polluted squares, this will help lessen global warming as well.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you ignore the environment, and keep pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, be prepared to pay the price.

Basicly, pollution has no link with global warming, only your population does. The more ppeps you have the more global warming will occure. Oh, and the more nukes you use the more global warming will happen also. But the only problem with pollution is that every square covered can't be worked on by your peeps.

But you are free to change things in the editor.

Spec.
Old March 4, 2002, 11:07   #3
kailhun
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
Basicly, pollution has no link with global warming, only your population does. The more ppeps you have the more global warming will occure. Oh, and the more nukes you use the more global warming will happen also. But the only problem with pollution is that every square covered can't be worked on by your peeps.

Spec.
Hm. Need to factor this into my playing. I assumed the pollution caused the GW.
The question becomes what causes pollution points in cities and how to reduce those.

Robert
Old March 4, 2002, 11:14   #4
kailhun
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

Spec.
The question becomes what causes pollution points in cities and how to reduce those.

Robert
Old March 4, 2002, 13:21   #5
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kailhun

Robert
Population gives you pollution points. The more pop you have the more points you get. It's inevitable but you can reduce it by building solar plants, recycling centers and mass transit systems.
Old March 4, 2002, 19:42   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
High population (above 12) creates pollution.
This is negated by building mass-transit.

Factories, airports, coal power plants, mfg plants, iron works, etc, create pollution just by existing in your city. To remove this type of pollution, either sell the polluting building, or build a recycling center.

With both mass-transit and a recycling center, your city will produce a maximum of 2 pollution triangles per turn, leaving a slight chance for polluting the land around it, but thats the best you can do.

(Solar plants just increase the effect of factories without adding pollution by themselves)