Old March 26, 2002, 16:32   #91
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 17:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Any hope I could suck you into making a few modern age wonders for me?
- Cure for Syphilis (drugs)
Be careful with the content of THAT video.

I guess that wonder would keep the strength of your garrison units up? (among other things).

I think the cure might be a tad more generic...
Old March 26, 2002, 17:55   #92
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hermann:

I chose the Cure for Syphilis because back in 1900-1910, syphilis was one of the biggest problems (disease wise anyways) just after influenza. Also, the cure for syphilis led to penicillin and modern drug medicines.

The happiness bonus I added if you built it was because you could go for it without the threat of STD's after the cure came public.
Old March 26, 2002, 18:38   #93
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Also, the cure for syphilis led to penicillin and modern drug medicines.
OH! I forgot the sequencing, there; in fact I was thinking of penicillin *as* the cure for syphilis. Thanks.

Quote:
[SIZE=1] The happiness bonus I added if you built it was because you could go for it without the threat of STD's after the cure came public.
Hmm...you could give the conspiracy theorists a treat and add a Wonder to "Create AIDS" which would (naturally) lower everyone's happiness and cut the population growth rate in the bargain.

I notice the leader personality "Evil Genius" but there are so few evil techs (slavery, nukes) and no evil wonders (let's see: Death Ray, Godzilla, Barney...)
Old March 26, 2002, 18:42   #94
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
Hmm...you could give the conspiracy theorists a treat and add a Wonder to "Create AIDS" which would (naturally) lower everyone's happiness and cut the population growth rate in the bargain.

Quote:
I notice the leader personality "Evil Genius" but there are so few evil techs (slavery, nukes) and no evil wonders (let's see: Death Ray, Godzilla, Barney...)
*wondering if he's referring to Barney the Dinosaur*
Old March 27, 2002, 01:18   #95
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 14:17
Dale: I checked my video archives and don't have anything that fits the bill for those wonders. If you'd be willing to do some web-search leg work, I can convert anything you turn up (well....mpeg, mov, and avi) into a wonder movie. Don't worry about inappropriate audio, as I can strip that out and substitute something else (on that note you might want to suggest soundtracks - either supply a wav or point me to one)
Old March 27, 2002, 02:56   #96
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 14:17
Or consider these alternatives:

1) Cure for Syphilis = Use the GW027.avi Penicillin video? Wouldn't even have to modify it.

2) Social Tolerance = Use the GW008.avi Equality video? Might want to delete/substitute the audio, although hopefully that's not necessary.

3) National Surveillance = This may be a stretch, but we could use GW001.avi and replace the end sequence that focuses on the "dissident" with the satellite sequence at the end of GW017. (Could also cut the "WIA" part at the beginning). Alternatively could open with the scene from GW011 and then cut to the last section of GW025 - the piece which shows the satellite locating the nuke sub.

4) Supercomputer = Use GW023.avi and modify by deleting the opening section showing the guy sitting at a desk with "EMAIL" on his computer screen. Or could use the "AI Entity" video from CTP1.

5) Manhattan Project = Another stretch, but it might be possible to combine the opening sequence of GW017 (missile on a truck) with the rocket launch sequence from GW025 and end with the destroyed city sequence from GW007".

6) Model T Ford = There is an "assembly line" sequence (of sorts) in video GW015, but the easiest solution might be to use the "Edison's Lab" video from CTP1 instead of Ford. Again, not what you had in mind but an easy fix.
Old March 27, 2002, 13:54   #97
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
5) Manhattan Project = Another stretch, but it might be possible to combine the opening sequence of GW017 (missile on a truck) with the rocket launch sequence from GW025 and end with the destroyed city sequence from GW007".
My first thought was that a bomber would be more appropriate than a missile (much less a mobile missile), but of course we don't have bombers with nukes in CTP2 (too bad; we're missing one leg of the Strategic Triad).

Second thought: the Trinity video must be out there in several places on the Web.
Old March 27, 2002, 20:27   #98
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:17
Dave,
Something for you to do when you get back from vacation: I got an email from someone who couldn't find Cradle v1.3. You may want to indicate a little more clearly on your website what exactly the 'BETA' is a beta off (i.e. put the version number in the 'section title').
Old April 1, 2002, 19:00   #99
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
I chose the Cure for Syphilis because back in 1900-1910, syphilis was one of the biggest problems (disease wise anyways) just after influenza. Also, the cure for syphilis led to penicillin and modern drug medicines.
By sheer coincidence, from a Reuters report today: "One arsenical discovered in 1909, arsphenamine, was the main treatment for syphilis until it was replaced by penicillin in the 1940s. "
Old April 2, 2002, 11:23   #100
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 16:17
I'm back...
Looks like some interseting things happening here while I was gone.

Kull,
Good to see you again. (I take it that you were not overwhelmed by civ3 - at least until the editor is improved.) The Wonder movies would be a very nice addition. Below is a list of the Wonders in Cradle that would need a movie.

Stonehenge
Temple of Solomon
Valley of the Kings
Hanging Gardens
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Olympics
Temple of Zeus
Spartan Philosophy
Coliseum
Resurrection
Mecca
Shakespeare Theatre
Newton?s Theories
Manhattan Project

My site probably will not be able to hold them though - I think that Locutus does have some space open at the public CTP2 site.

Thanks to Leonardo for the graphic update package. Info about that addition to Cradle is available
at my site

I have also clarified the info at my site regarding the 1.3 Beta.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old April 2, 2002, 12:37   #101
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Re: I'm back...
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Looks like some interseting things happening here while I was gone.
Maybe you like also to add a new version of the Forts for AIs code. I found two bugs in the script and fixed them. To get this slic file just click here.

BTW, one question why did you removed it from the standart version of Cradle actual it doesn't really improve the AI. It just connects the AI empire so it can connect its cities with roads?

-Martin
Old April 4, 2002, 01:02   #102
Krushchev
Settler

Just to throw everyone off topic.....

I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but can we:
A) Expand the map. I wanna play with a bunch of civs. And
B) Lift the max number of cities onmap(I heard this earlier, too). I don't want a bunch of crashes at the fabled turn 300 killing my games.
Old April 4, 2002, 18:41   #103
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Krushchev
Just to throw everyone off topic.....

I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but can we:
A) Expand the map. I wanna play with a bunch of civs. And
B) Lift the max number of cities onmap(I heard this earlier, too). I don't want a bunch of crashes at the fabled turn 300 killing my games.
That issue has been resolved. Take a look on page 3 of this thread. It is related to diplomod.slc.
Old April 6, 2002, 07:43   #104
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Leonardo has completed his Graphics update.The files are now available at my site
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old April 8, 2002, 13:20   #105
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

...Also posted in the Mod Confusion thread

OK, here is the first few steps in clearing up the confusion regarding the multiple options available in Cradle.

I have reworked my site and have eliminated all unnecessary downloads. Now there is:

1. The standard Cradle download section with the Base Files/Patch/Modswapper (dated 04/08/02) Please note that this base file includes the 04/08/02 Update listed below.

2. A separate download with just the texts and updated graphics since 12/19/01 (also dated 04/08/02)

3. A separate Add-on download that incorporates Leonardo's Graphic update.

If you are interested in starting Multi-play at this point in time, I would recommend that a player download the 04/08/02 Update and unzip it over the existing files - and communicate with anyone who you are playing against to do the same. I cannot completely clean up past problems, but at least I can get everyone on the same page starting now.

Because of the structure of Modswapper, earlier versions of Cradle have to be manually deleted from your system. If you have earlier versions of Cradle, you can delete the following files from your setup, as they are now obsolete.

CRAD_gamefile.txt - Preference of Hextapul
CRAI_gamefile.txt - Deity Slayer
CRAP_gamefile.txt - Peaceful AI (Diplo 3.6)
CRAO_gamefile.txt - Seafarers Edition
CRA_gamefile.txt - Cradle 1.2

This will remove these options from your Modswapper selection box. Please note that if you are Multi-playing with any of these versions, you will need to retain these files.

CRADLE Playing Options
These are the playing options that are currently being supported by the creator of Cradle.

CRADLE 1.3
This is the base from which all other of the options are established. This uses the standard victory options (Diplomacy, Gaia Controller, Bloodlust). The SLIC files are as follows and are standard for all subsequent Options.

CRA_airunit.slc - Airunit Lander
CRA_capturecity.slc - Building Destroyer (when cities are captured/attacked)
CRA_homeguard.slc - Militia Code
CRA_springfield.slc - Capitol Rebuilder for AI
CRA_wonderbuildings.slc - Removes Wonder-created Buildings from Build Lists
CRA_wonderunits.slc - Historic Generals
CRA_frenzy.slc - Moves AI forces into Human Territory
CRA_diplomod.slc - Diplomacy Model
CRA_pow.slc - Prisoner of War
CRAG_updater.slc - Unit Updater
CRA_disasters.slc - In game Disasters
CRA_Goods.slc - GoodMod
CRA_soundfix.slc - Sound Additions
CRAI_KillCityOption.slc - Option to raze Captured Cities
CRAI_FortsForAIs.slc - Helps AI build Forts
CRAI_ComImpSForAIs2.slc - Boost AI Tile Improvements
CRAI_pw_cheat.slc - Public Works Boost for AI
CRAI_infras.slc - Helps AI Convert to Infrastructure

CRADLE Ultra Gigantic Maps
Using Cradle 1.3 as the base, this is a setup that expands the settings to play with a 140x280 tile map - (Gigantic Setting in the Selection Box)

CRADLE Victory Options
The Victory Options are as follows:

CRADLE - Birth of an Empire (600 Turns)
You must have the following to succeed
- Appian Way Wonder (enable advance Bureaucracy)
- 20 Theatres (enable advance Drama)
- 20 Arenas (enable advance Civic Engineering)
- 20 Courthouses (enable advance Jurisprudence)
- 20 Forums (enable advance Ethics)
- 60% Coverage of the world with Obelisk Tile Improvement (enable advance Civic Engineering)

Maintain your Empire for 30 turns. In addition, the Coliseum Wonder has been changed to give a (+1) Empire Happiness, instead of a free Arena for every city.

CRADLE - Global Empire (800 Turns)
- Voyage of Columbus Wonder (enable advance Nationalism)
- 30 Governorships (enable advance Nationalism)
- 30 Manufactories (enable advance Nationalism)
- 70% Coverage of the world with Colony Tile Improvement (enable advance Nationalism)

Maintain your Empire for 40 turns.

CRADLE - SETI Colony (1000 Turns)
- Icarus Project Wonder (enable advance Computer)
- 20 Command Centers (enable advance Computer)
- 40 Think Tanks (enable advance Computer)
- 70% Coverage of the world with Satellite Relay Stations Tile Improvement (enable advance Computer)

Have everything in place - it will take 75 turns to fly to Alpha Centauri.

...and finally

Peter Triggs Diplomod
This is only available throgh the Cradle 1.3 Thread, and is very much in an early test stage (alpha), due to the complexity of what this file is trying to accomplish. There are many crashes and imbalances at this point in time, but as future updates are released, there will be a need for players to test.

The files will not overwrite any files from the other options.

One final note, regarding future SLIC bug fixes and updated text files. These will all be noted on my site by the date posted, labled as update(date).zip, and will only include the actual files that are altered. Each update will change the Modswapper designation by 01, so the next Update will change the name of 'Cradle 1.3' to 'Cradle 1.31'. I also hope to severely limit the in-game tweaking that I do too.

I would suggest that all players keep as backups on their systems, the following files...

victory.ZIP file

as well as any update.zip files on their system so they can quickly set up their files for whatever configuration is out there. This will probably mean that a player will have to keep track of my thread/website for any posted updates.
Old April 10, 2002, 14:17   #106
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Information files available
Attached is a zip file that contains documentation of the Unit Updater info - i.e., when a unit can be updated, and for how much. Also included is a page that gives all of the abilities of the unconventional units, as well as a list of the gov-specific units (please look at the unit chart pdf file included in the basic Cradle download for comparisons with other units). This attachment requires Acrobat to read.

In looking at the Unit Updater, I will be making some changes for the upcoming Cradle v1.31. I have also done some clarification in the Great Library regarding Government-specific units.

The following will change to clean up some inconsistencies in the Unit Updater for v1.31 (to be released at a later date)
- Trireme/Heptriremes will upgrade to Dromons at Astrolabe instead of Greek Fire (in light of the fact that Greek Fire is required for Astrolabe, which is the enable advance for Dromons) A stupid mistake on my part...
- Ironclads currently upgrade to PT boats at Mass Production - they will upgrade to Subs at Oil Refining.
- I will add a Machine Gunner Militia upgrade to Hover Infantry Militia upgrade.
- I had not upgraded Trebuchets to Cannons in the current version mainly because I saw the creation of Gunpowder to be so revolutionary/different from previous weapons - and I also wanted to retain a facet in the game that certain units could not be upgraded. (I used the same logic for Cavalry/Tanks.)

Any opinions on this, and other issues within the Unit Updater (or for that matter, any other Cradle gamplay issues)???
Attached Files:
File Type: zip info1_3.zip (5.9 KB, 19 views)
Old April 10, 2002, 18:59   #107
Aqtaca
Settler

Local Time: 22:17
hi guys,
i've been following this thread (starting from cradle 1.2) for 2 months now.
I have big problem- the lenght of turns.
I took 12 civs with 16maplayer on ultra-gigantic map.
In the beggining everything was fine- when someone would enter a hut that contained something (and it hasn't happened to me) computer would pause for 58-60 seconds.
At some point, turns beacme awfully long- 2 minutes. And it was no huts, i can tell you that- i could hear hard-disk work and i was in kitchen.
Fine, two minutes, i am a patient man- but now, a turn lasts 19!!! minutes!
I make a move, walk my dog, come back and i get to play. and so on...
although this has some good sides, it pisses me off. And it's hard to piss me off.

I was just wondering, as no one ever mentioned this problem, does any of the experts have an idea of what's the problem.

I tried to start a new game, just for the experiment- but i couldn't overcome the might i built and the time invested.
i have just downloaded cradle 1.3 will it make this problem go away?
Old April 10, 2002, 19:05   #108
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqtaca
I took 12 civs with 16maplayer on ultra-gigantic map.
That's the problem. Try playing smaller maps or less civs. It'll go much faster. What speed is your computer chip?
Old April 10, 2002, 19:20   #109
Aqtaca
Settler

Intel celeron 433MHz ( or somewhere there), 64 MB RAM
Old April 10, 2002, 19:54   #110
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

The chip is not great but okay, the memory *really* s*cks... (not that I have more, but I don't ever play with more than 8 civs).

The delays from goody huts are a known problem and I'm not surprised if they were explained somewhere (readme, FAQ). In short, due to some bug or something it takes a long time for the AI to walk through the tech tree and select a unit/tech to give. This delay actually exists in the original game as well but is way, way shorter there (you only notice it on PCs with slow processors and with loads of crap running in the background). I still have one or two idea about how to fix (or rather, circumvent) the problem but so far I haven't been able to get anything to work (I have to admit I didn't try too hard either).
Old April 11, 2002, 07:44   #111
Aqtaca
Settler

Yeah, i know, but this problem is not a hut problem-
when someone enters the hut, the game looks paused- nothing happens for a minute or so. hard disk isn't working, everything just stops for a minute.
This is completely different- the Hard-disk is working as if it's calculating the value of the pi number.

it wasn't happening in the beggining.
Old April 11, 2002, 08:10   #112
Locutus
Deity

Hmm, I think my pervious explanation could have been better formulated: a working hard-disk means the game doesn't have enough memory and is forced to use the hard-disk for additional memory space. This is usually the result of having a lot of civs/cities/units/etc (or not enough memory, depending on how you look at it ).

The solution is, as IW suggested, to play on a smaller map with less civs. It also helps if you don't have any other programs running in the background: before starting the game, press Ctrl-Alt-Del and remove everything except Systray and Explorer from the menu, particularly anti-virus programs can cause major delays. You could also consider buying more memory for your PC (which is never a bad idea, for the type of processor you have 128 MB memory would probably the ideal amount, if you value price and performance equally (although 256 MB isn't very expensive anymore either)).

BTW, if you calculate Pi, the Hard-disk shouldn't do anything at all, that all happens in the processor and memory (unless you want to know it in a gazillion decimals)
Old April 11, 2002, 09:34   #113
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I would second the statement to upgrade your RAM. I noticed a greatly-improved performance level when I upgraded from 64 to 192 last year, and my processor is only a P2 350.

Locutus,
Is there any way to get the Pirate code adapted to Cradle?
Old April 11, 2002, 09:41   #114
Locutus
Deity

Sure, just replace the MedMod techs with Cradle techs and MedMod units with Cradle units. I think you understand enough of SLIC to be able to do that on your own (if not, give me a list of techs and units and I'll do it for you).

Here's the MedMod code BTW:

Code:
//////////////////////////////
////   8. Piracy Code    ////
////////////////////////////

// 8) Piracy code                       - Creates Barbarian ships every few
//                                        turns, what unit is created depends on
//                                        available technology

int_t		MM2_PIRACY_BEGIN_TURN;		// store in what turn piracy should become possible
int_t		MM2_PIRACY_CHANCE;		// change of piracy attack; on average, 1 piracy attack every MM2_PIRACY_CHANCE turns

HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'MM2_PiracyTest' post {
location_t	tmpLoc;
int_t	xcoord;
int_t	ycoord;
int_t	i;
int_t	type;

if (g.player == 0 && Random(MM2_PIRACY_CHANCE) == 0 && g.year > MM2_PIRACY_BEGIN_TURN) {
		xcoord = Random(GetMapWidth());
		ycoord = Random(GetMapHeight());
		MakeLocation(tmpLoc, xcoord, ycoord);
		while (TerrainType(tmpLoc) < 10 || (TerrainType(tmpLoc) > 16 && TerrainType(tmpLoc) != 22 && TerrainType(tmpLoc) != 23)) {
			xcoord = Random(GetMapWidth());
			ycoord = Random(GetMapHeight());
			MakeLocation(tmpLoc, xcoord, ycoord);
		}
		for (i = 0; i < 32; i = i + 1) {
			if (IsPlayerAlive(i)) {
				if (HasAdvance(i, ID_ADVANCE_INTERNAL_COMBUSTION)) {
					type = UnitDB(UNIT_PT_BOAT);
				} elseif (HasAdvance(i, ID_ADVANCE_OCEAN_FARING)) {
					if (type != UnitDB(UNIT_PT_BOAT)) {
						type = UnitDB(UNIT_CARRACK);
					}
				} elseif (HasAdvance(i, ID_ADVANCE_COMPASS)) {
					if (type != UnitDB(UNIT_PT_BOAT) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_CARRACK)) {
						type = UnitDB(UNIT_COG);
					}
				} elseif (HasAdvance(i, ID_ADVANCE_JOINERY)) {
					if (type != UnitDB(UNIT_PT_BOAT) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_CARRACK) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_COG)) {
						type = UnitDB(UNIT_LONGSHIP);
					}
				} elseif (HasAdvance(i, ID_ADVANCE_SHIP_BUILDING)) {
					if (type != UnitDB(UNIT_PT_BOAT) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_CARRACK) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_COG) && type != UnitDB(UNIT_LONGSHIP)) {
						type = UnitDB(UNIT_TRIREME);
					}
				} else {
					type = -100;	// don't create pirate unit
				}
			}
		}
		if (type != -100) {
			CreateUnit(0, type, tmpLoc, 0);
		}
	}
}
Old April 11, 2002, 21:12   #115
Lou Wigman
Warlord

Just downloaded a 'clean skin' version of Cradle1.3. Also downloaded Leonardo's graphics. Applied them both but now I am getting an error when I fire the sucker up:

SPRITE_HURRICANE not in the sprite database

Sprite_hurricane is defined in CRA_units.txt. If this is mentioned elsewhere I apologise. Please point me in the right direction
Old April 12, 2002, 09:34   #116
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I think Leonardo used an older version of the newsprite.txt file for his modification. I have updated this file and reposted the corrected file as part of his Graphics Mod. I am also attaching the zipped correction here so you will not have to redownload the entire Graphics Mod.

Please note that this file is not needed if you are not using his Modded files.

The HURRICANE sprite is in there because it is my hope that eventually it can be used for a visual for hurricanes in the game. Ben was working on some hurricane SLIC coding, but it has not been working as well as I hoped.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip image_fix.zip (5.4 KB, 8 views)
Old April 12, 2002, 10:24   #117
Aqtaca
Settler

Hey people-
just downloaded and installed Cradle 1.3
i thought all files, 150 % all were in this package- shoudl i download any other?
And how can i get those ultra-maps here?
there was a left over from version 1.2 "cradle ultra-gigantic maps" but when i start it, the maps are normal sized

P.S. yeah, additional 128 MB RAM would be great, but my parents don't share my enthusiasm
Old April 12, 2002, 11:22   #118
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Here are the settings for the Ultra-Gigantic map settings. The setup for the Ultra Gigantic option does not add additional buttons to select a different size, but uses the existing buttons to indicate map size

MAP_SIZE_SMALL 26x52
MAP_SIZE_MEDIUM 48x96
MAP_SIZE_LARGE 70x140
MAP_SIZE_GIGANTIC 140x280
Old April 12, 2002, 19:18   #119
Aqtaca
Settler

i know there are no special buttons for ultra maps, i had them on cradle 1.2
you just start the game with "ultra-.."option in modswrapper

it's in cradle 1.3 i can;t find a way to have a game with ultra maps.
there is a leftover from 1.2 in modswrapper menu "ultra-..."
but it's not making ultra maps... just ordinary sized ones.
i have no new options...

should i edit some file?
Old April 13, 2002, 01:53   #120
Lou Wigman
Warlord

More problems with the Leonardo graphics I'm afraid. The TGA files have Italian names and some use high ascii characters. For example 'CittaStato.tga' has an 'accent' on the first 'a'. This translates into a high ascii character on my PC and causes the game to crash. There are a number of these and they show up in explorer where the accented 'a' shows as '|'.

The above TGA file shows in the pictures directory as 'Citt|Stato.tga'. In the game the error message is that it can't find 'CittaStato.tga' (with an accent on the 'a')