I only ally up with Civs that are far! 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 4, 2002, 13:39   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 21:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What is your way of killing a civ?
When a civ starts bugging me I always declare war on them...well almost....yea always. (I hate it when their annoyed for nothing ) So here's what used to do. I declared war with my first attack and my next move was going threw my contacts to get civs to team up with me against the unlucky one before I completed my turn.
I've noticed that when I do that the enemy civ never attacks me and is always defending its self against teh others. But what I wonder is this. Do the other civs stay angry with eachother? And does it give you a "black mark" if you do this?
And, the reason I dont ally up anymore is because I don't seem to be able to break alliances when I want cuz when I'm ready to attack another civ I still have the alliance active. Is there a way to do it without breaking your word? I'm renowned as a liar.

I welcome any strategy of combat if you fell like telling!

Spec.
Old March 4, 2002, 13:55   #2
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
It depends on these variables:

map size
which civ I am
which civ they are
how many civs
could go on for ever.

suffice to say I almost never wage war for the same reason twice, or with the same tactic twice. (I DO however keep a little black book full of grudges so that I don't let the baddies get away easy).

It also depends on my long term goals. Do I want to destroy the other civ entirely (so that their slaves in my empire don't revolt or that I simple hate them)? If so I create a world alliance. I can however just want a resource, or even out my borders to make them easier to defend, or just wage a war of attrition and let them tire themselves out. All this changes how I make treaties and pacts, close or far.
Old March 4, 2002, 16:33   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:18
Answered "ally with close states." In past, I beat an opponent down to a bloody remnant, getting help as I needed it -- mostly assuring the opponent didn't get help. The remnant was left to exploit, as appropriate. However, I am finding the "vassal strategy" to have a serious flaw. The former cities of that "rump state" have a nasty tendency to revert when I change governments (causing anarchy, even for one turn) or revolt break for whatever reason, e.g., losing trade because of a war. So now I exterminate, usually alone by then as all my allies make peace with the rump state. Note: I won't be in a rush for this final kill as the allies will lose cities back to the little guy due to inadequate city garrisons. I can then go pick up those cities too.
Old March 4, 2002, 16:41   #4
Zouave
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:18
I usually wear them down slowly, after signing ROPs with everyone else nearby (to avoid them gangiing up on me). After the enemy has thrown most of its units at me, and I have slaughtered them all, I slowly start taking cities. When they have 4 or 5 left, I force them to sign a peace treaty where they give me everything they have except the cities. I then wait for them to try to move a unit into my territory, and demand that they leave. Usually, they will declare war, since they are furious. Then I finish the job, without having become too far behind in the tech race, and without leaving a small civ that hates my guts.
Old March 4, 2002, 17:21   #5
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Pars et Regne (Divide & Rule)
If I'm able to cope on my own, I'll never ask for help.
Most of the times I'm able on my own. I usually don't fear a combined ancient/medieval attack by several civs at a time: my defensive bonuses (better use of terrain, units and walls --> the human brain you know) allow me to wait while they destroy themselves.

If the adversary is stronger, I might call upon their neighbours, preferrably neighbours that aren't mine, so our combined forces attack on different sides, meaning I'll have the time to settle after razing and claiming the territory first.

If I fear that an adversary might become too powerful later on in the game, I'll consequently 'embargo' him: preferrably I'll trade with its closest rivals to make them stronger. If after a time the balance of power changes, so will my trade directions.

If you're in a position that you might gain and hold a tech lead (holding it possible on deity, doubt so ...), try evoking a World War between other civs: their efforts won't be on science anymore.

AJ
Old March 4, 2002, 19:46   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Depends on my military strength relative to my target civ. If I can, I'll take them on by myself to ensure that I get all their land and resources. If I can't take them on by myself, I'll try to get everyone else in on the act, and crush them that way.