Old March 4, 2002, 14:42   #1
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ2 map file format
Has anyone figured this out? Because I'd like to try making my own map generator, if possible.

Miznia
Old March 5, 2002, 10:16   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
You bet! Here's all the info you'll ever need:
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~jvermeir/savmaps.htm

(And please DON'T follow that kahei.com link... Damn, I have to fix that)

If you need any more help I'd be glad to help.

By the way, here's a random map generator someone else made, in case you need some ideas:
http://www.cix.co.uk/~spot/civmapgen

Oh, and please make sure you can generate maps as large as 32,767.
Old March 6, 2002, 16:51   #3
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
Ok, thanks. I've putzed around a little with the map generator, and I'll start thinking about the format itself... Especially the implications of having a different coordinate system from that used in the game...

The map generator seems a bit inconsistent. I'd like to randomly generate a map with no preview (so it's a surprise), but I don't trust it enough...

What I want to make is a generator of Civ1-esque maps, with 5-10 islands of comparable size, relatively close to each other. I figure I could use a "volcanic" approach, where an island starts at one tile and then randomly grows outward, and then try to place all these islands on the map such that they don't overlap.

What would one have to keep in mind in order to have 32767 tile capability?

Miznia
Old March 8, 2002, 18:07   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Miznia
What I want to make is a generator of Civ1-esque maps, with 5-10 islands of comparable size, relatively close to each other. I figure I could use a "volcanic" approach, where an island starts at one tile and then randomly grows outward, and then try to place all these islands on the map such that they don't overlap.
I don't really know anything about random map generation, so I can't help you there. In any case, you may want to post in the Civ2 General or Scenario League forums in stead, since this forum isn't very busy (to put it mildly).
Oh, and you could perhaps also have a look at the Alternative Civilizations section. Those alternative civ games usually need a random map generator too...

Quote:
What would one have to keep in mind in order to have 32767 tile capability?
Well, nothing really... Just make sure enough memory is allocated for the map (if that's a concern in the programming language you'll be using). And also make sure the maximum and minimum dimensions and surface are stored in some sort of global constant/variable so they can be changed easily.
Civ2 versions up to and including the Fantastic Worlds add-on can only have maps up to 10922 squares, after that the max is 32767... By the way.