Old March 4, 2002, 17:58   #31
Natan
Prince

Local Time: 16:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
And why is this society so backwards?
Firstly, it's not backward. Palestinian society is more sophisticated than that of most Arab countries. They have higher literacy rates, somewhat more civilized political discourse, and the Islamists are a tad less powerful. And it's largely because of Israel.
Quote:
Could it be because of a 34 years long military occupation, in which normal politcal processes were crushed, in which politcal dissent was rooted out
Palestinians had more press freedom than most Arabs. Normal political proccesses continued with local elections, of the sort many Arab countries didn't have at the time.
Quote:
in which few basic services were provided
Not true. Palestinian infant mortality went down under Israeli rule.
Quote:
an occupation that allowed the camps, with population denstities twice that of manhattan islands, to remain in perpetuatiy because Israel forces these people to remain refugees from their own original homes, could it be a system that bases water usage not on the needs of inhabitants, but on the politiccal goals of Zionism?
Yes, it's the claustrophobia and the price of water which cause suicide bombings.
Quote:
Who undermines the local economy by setting up a mercantalist system of trade that benefits irael only, to the detriment of Palestinian commerce?
What?
Quote:
Who, with its closing policies, have driven unemployment among Palestinians above 20%? Who made sure that their only economic opportunities at home were working all the low wage jobs israeli Jews didn't wantt to partake in?
Um, what? First you claim that the closing policies make the Palestinians unemployed (The closures came because of terrorism) then you claim that Israel "forces" them to work in Israel - well which is it, is Israel impovershing them by making them work in Israel or by preventing them from doing so? And how has Israel forced them to work in Israel?
Quote:
Which side has political parties in their legislature calling for ethinic cleansing?
The Palestinians. It's called Fatah.
Quote:
Who allowed the groth of Islamic fundamentalim in the territories as a way to undermine the communist or liberal opposition? It was Israel. Likud allowed Islamic Jihad and Hamas to grow as fast as they did, just ebcause, much like Osma used to be, they were the enemies of the great enemy, the PLO and all its parts.
It was an inevitable outcome. Islamist groups have grown faster than secular ones in every Arab country.
Quote:
Until Jews figure out that the hostility they recieve is based on thier chosen path of action, and that until that chosen path of actions changes, they should not even expect respect and peace, then true peace is not possible.
I'm hoping that the confusion between Jews and Israelis was an honest mistake on your part.
Old March 4, 2002, 18:50   #32
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 21:18
Hey, Dalgetti, nice to be wanted

As far as I've understood it, the three major stumbling blocks are the Settlements, the Right of Return and Jerusalem.

Settlements: I'm under the impression that Israel will not agree to a dismantling of every single settlement, claiming that some of them are adjacent to Israeli territory ahyway, right?

Well, I think this is a morally corrupt claim that no Palestinian would accept...

the only way I can see to deal with this is basically market economy. If Israel really wants a particular area, make an offer. Most likely land somewhere else.

One of the problems with the Camp Dvid accords was that while Israel offered land equivalent in size to 95% of the 1967 borders, it was not quivalent in quality. Quite frankly, would you trade your lakeview property for a piece of land in the desert?

And who is capable of deciding what land is worth how much? no matter who makes that judgement, both sides will claim he/she is partial to the other side...

So let market economy rule.

Furthermore, let it be binding, with the U.S. pledging to enforce the deal. No nonsense about security concerns, or 'other deals weren't carried out like we'd want to'. From either side.

I think the jerusalem question is related to the settlements, right? Most of the settlements included in the landswap deal presented at Camp David were bordering on jerusalem, I think. I might be wrong here, so if anyone knows, please speak up. With the Camp David deal, most of jerusalem would have been de facto Israeli. This is another thing the Palestinians won't accept. Again, with market economy, no one is forced to sell. If Israel so badly want the whole of Jerusalem, they have to come up with an offer worth it... I'm not sure there can be such an offer, as there are religious issues involved...

A possible solution would be to divide jerusalem into three parts: One israeli, one Palestinian and one "Religious", sort of like the vatican. Hey, you could even have the Vatican administer it for the first few years. Not only would the religious part be free to all visitors, it would also be a buffer zone between the Israeli and Palestinian cities.

Finally the Right of Return. The real problem here is that no one wants these refugees. Israel doesn't want them because they would make muslims a majority in Israel. Palestine doesn't want them because they are very radical, even by palestinian standards. (And perhaps most importantly from the practical standpoint, Arafat doesn't want them cause they would threaten his power). The other arab states doesn't want them because they are refugees and palestinians (a little bit of racism there).

But they can't stay in the camps, so much is sure.

A possible solution would be for Israel to pledge to take responsibility for half of the refugess, while the U.S. and E.U. take responsibility for the other half. (In response to an earlier post, I do think E.U. and U.S. does have some responsibility... In order to feel better after WW2 the OK'd the creation of Israel, at the expense of the arabs. As such they do have a responsibility).

For the EU/US part, let economy rule. Make it an auction. Ask say, Syria, how much money would you require to take one refugee, and how many could you take? This would most likely be a sliding scale, with the price inreasing exponentially. Work out where it would be cheapest to send them. The possibility of price gouging is (hopefully) negated by market economy... If the asking price is too high, the EU/US might consider it cheaper to just accept the rfugess themselves.

For Israels part, they could of course do the same. Not having the monetrary resources of the EU/US, this is most likely not possible. Instead, slice off some Israeli land for the refugees to live on. My (incredibly rough) guess is that after this, the area of Israel would be close to the 1948 borders...

Of course, the allotment must be fair. the easiest way to deal with this would be population density. Let's call this new land RC, Refugee Country. Divide the number is Israelis with the area of Israel. Divide the area of RC with the number of refugees intended to live there. Make sure the ratios are the same.

There could be a combination of the two, of course. Pay for some of the refugees, and allot land to the rest. And as GePap suggested, if there are jewish claims for property lost, let that be counted to against the refugee payments.

I think that is the only fair way to deal with the refugees. I can't help it, but to me it feels like arguiing against it could only be spurred by greed... Possibly veiled in arguments like 'it isn't our fault, and thus not our problem.' Well, we will just have to acept that it IS a problem, and it will have to be dealt with.

Are there any other major issues involved?

Recognizing each others right to exist, for sure. (As GePap pointed out, this was done 15 years ago).

The water issue... again, market economy. If Israel wants access to water on palestinian land, make an offer.

Education. Lots of it. And textbooks approved by impartial observers, for both sides. As long as palestinian text books calls for jihad, and Israeli textbooks claims that palestinians aren't a people, the two sides will never get along.

I think it is naive to expect either side just to stop with the propaganda during an ongoing conflict. And it is just as naive to point towards the propaganda and claim 'see what they are asying about us? They are clearly bloodthirsty maniacs'. It's war. This is what happens in war. End the war, and the propaganda will end. Not the other way around...

And to this effect, maybe some sort of impartial control of the media. Not to see what is allowed to be printed, but to enforce corrections, with the rule that a correction must be displayed at the same page, with the same size as the original story.

So, if JP reports on it's frontpage that 'a palestinian terrorist was shot while trying to infilitrate border', and it turns out to be a regular palestinian our picking berries, this correction must be printed on the front page, leaving space blank if necessary to keep the size of the story intact. Likewise if a palestinan media reports palestinians killed by israeli troops, and it turns out to be car accidents...

This is not censorship... It is merely a requirement that a story has to be verified to be allowed to stand. (and on a personal note, I think ALL media in the world would benefit from this rule... )

Democratic elections... Palestinian airspace.

Propbly more issues, but nothing springs to mind...

Oh, and in the short term... Enough with the nonsense about not negotiating under fire. No Israeli incusrions during negotiations, EVEN WITH CAUSE. I don't care if Arafat himself assassinated Sharon on television. Israel does not have the right to assiante Arafat back. It can, of course, put the extradition of criminals as part of a negotiating deal. But as it is, we need to remove all possibilites for Sharon to disrupt the negotiations as he already did with the Saudi peace plan...
Old March 4, 2002, 18:58   #33
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Gotta go to class.
Eradicate all human life.

That's a fairly effective "final solution."
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 4, 2002, 19:07   #34
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CyberGnu: What ?! so let's say that the palestinians attack me . I have no right to strike back? who are you kidding ? that can and will be considered a declaration of war if such a thing happens.

The lakeside is a clear exageration, of course. we are talking rugged hills in one place to be replaced by rugged plains in another area. but hey , it is an ME thread so what the hell...

your plan is very nice and generous , of course , but I think I will decline .

Quote:
. With the Camp David deal, most of jerusalem would have been de facto Israeli.
Jerusalem is defacto israeli anyway , considering population .

regarding the refugees:
I could might as well shove them in the negev, let them dry there. if we're speaking about quality territory (non-desert), we both know that the Israelis got the short end of the stick.

Quote:
So let market economy rule.
*cough* no.
Old March 4, 2002, 19:23   #35
CyberGnu
King

Dalgetti, during the negotiations.

Look, it's not an ideological question.

One of the problems right now is that Sharon does not want peace. Do you really think that the worst Israeli attacks occured just days after the Saudi peace plan was presented?

The attacks are Sharons tool to prolong the war. In case the negotiations seemed to get somewhere, he would conventiantly invent 'an undisclosed informant', who claims they are building rockets in a camp, and then send in the tanks. the palestinians get pissed, they start bombing more, and the whole situation is back where we started. This scenario was described last autumn already in an editorial in the NYT, and it is pretty much exactly what occured in the last week...

But if you take away this tool, and there is a chance. By not allowing Israel to attack even with good cause, you eliminate the possibility for Sharon to invent reasons to attack to.

In the event of a deal, with a palestinian state in existance, let it be handled by impartial observers, backed up by the U.S.. This goes both ways, of course...

Was I right about the settlements in the landswap being part of jerusalem or not? You didn't mention that part. I think I am right though, while the land offered in the CD deal was all Negev desert.

We've also been through who got what land in the 1948 partition before. I don't agree with your assessment. But I was under the impression that we weren't going to argue whose fault what is, but instead look for a practical solution, yes?

so do you have a better suggestion to deal with the refugees? As I said, it is a problem, and must be dealt with in order to have a deal.

And as I also said, Arafat is not going to invite the refugees into palestine, while the palestinian people won't accept a solution not including a solution to the refugee problem.

If Jerusalem is Israeli, why is there a part called 'Arab East Jerusalem'? And why does Arafat want to have his capital there?

OK, you don't like the market approach. Care to tell me what is wrong with it? Care to devise a more fair system?

And remember, a compromise is a solution where both parties feel cheated... A 'business deal' is a solution where both parties feel they got the better part... Which one would you rather have?
Old March 4, 2002, 19:32   #36
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

My minor contribution
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
Was I right about the settlements in the landswap being part of jerusalem or not?
This is old PM from Natan should answer your questions:

At camp david, the following was offered:

92% of the west bank, all of Gaza, with an additional three percent or so of the west bank to be given over after ten years and areas of Israel equivalent to about three percent of the west bank to be ceded to the PA in the Halutza dunes region neighboring Gaza.
Palestinian control of the Arab neighborhoods of east Jerusalem and the Muslim and Christian quarters of the old city.
"Divine" or "shared" soveriegnty of the temple mount/Haram Ash-Sharif.
Also, return of refugees to the west bank and/or Gaza.
Old March 4, 2002, 19:34   #37
Sandman
King

Local Time: 22:18
Raze Jerusalem
After evacuating the population obviously.

This city has been an unending source of conflict for thousands of years. Destroy it before it destroys another life.
Old March 4, 2002, 19:39   #38
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
Re: Raze Jerusalem
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
After evacuating the population obviously
Why?

These people have monopolised our TV coverage for long enough! If you leave them alive they'll still be doing interviews on how horrible it was to lose their home 25 years from now. If they're all dead then there's no story.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 4, 2002, 19:45   #39
Seeker
Emperor

Actually, think of how much simpler the situation would be if some uninvolved third party detonated a hydrogen bomb on the Temple Mount...

God didn't save it, so they'd all have start over from scratch...
Old March 4, 2002, 20:01   #40
axi
Prince

There is an old saying in Greece, used when one wants to end a discussion that is boring and leads nowhere: "We're not going to solve the Middle-East problem here!"

So this issue, however it ends, it will be remembered in eternity, through language.
Old March 4, 2002, 20:44   #41
Tom201
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
What needs to be done to end this intifada is decision by Israel that it's time to stop "signaling the Palestinians to stop the violence", and to stop bombing empty buildings and roadblocks.
The goal of the campaign should be the killing of all weapon carrying personell in the territories, the destruction of the Palestinian authority and the blocking of all possible ways to bring more weapons. Even if it means razing half of Rafah in the south of the Gaza strip, to uncover the tunnels.

The current situation, when Jews are being killed every day and we do nothing to stop it, except preventing a teract here and there and making holes in buildings cannot continue. A decision mut be made. We need to decide whether we surrender, declare on the death of the Zionism and learn to swim preparing for the final Jihad, or whether we go on a real military solution, not the pathetic excuse we see now. We cannot stay in the middle, hoping to return to the negotiations table.
Wow, a very radical standpoint. Hm incl. killing of the Palestinian authority -> results in total anarchy in palastina
Killing all armed personell (u maybe can imagine some of them have weapons for selfdefence? armed personell includes also police man) results in all Palastins getting absolut radical against Israel.
Your next demand would than be killing all the rest (there is always a way to get your hands on weapons)?

Hm such a Israel politic would hopefully result in cutting of all support from Europe and US for Israel, Isolating such an agressiv country (maybe even forming a international alliance against them).

By the way your speech is easily comparable to racist speeches (as it would be needed to say )

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
We must understand that we will never get the support of Europe that is being flooded by Arab immigrants.
Well as I live in Holland, I live in one of the Countries that is "flooded" by Moslems, and ppl. of a lot of country origins, races, etc.
At the same time the Netherlands:
- are The freest country in the world.
- have nearly to none restrictive laws u could think of.
- have the lowest violence crimes rate in Europe not to speak of the US or Countrys in other parts of the world.
- have the highest rate on Tolerance I have seen in any Country.

Now explain why u consider a high rate of arab immigrants is bad?

Maybe a visit in some free countrys would help to open up your mind and your view of the world a bit...

Tom

Last edited by Tom201; March 4, 2002 at 20:49.
Old March 5, 2002, 02:13   #42
CyberGnu
King

Dino, it answers some of the questions, but not all.

I confirms what I said about the palestinians getting desert in the trade.

But it doesn't mention where the 8% that is missing belongs.

The sentence 'arab parts of east jerusalem' is misleading, as it has been documented on numerous occaisons that Israel has confiscated arab land, particularly around jerusalem. (Confiscated meaning the multistep process of clearing land outside israeli settlements for 'security reasons', followed by a Israeli court declaring the buffer zone 'uninhabitated', folloed by expansion of the settlement, and repeat.). Amnesty, the red cross, the UN, even that Israeli human rights organization have documented this practice.
Old March 5, 2002, 04:46   #43
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom201
Wow, a very radical standpoint. Hm incl. killing of the Palestinian authority -> results in total anarchy in palastina
There is anarchy in the Pal territories even today. Sometimes after speeches by Arafat people willingly decide to listen to him. But there are no other ways for the PA to control the people, mainly thanks to Israeli closures and blockades.

Quote:
Killing all armed personell (u maybe can imagine some of them have weapons for selfdefence?
You are right.
Before we pass every street in search for weapons and men with weapons they will be given 10 minutes to get out and put their weapons on the road or whatever. Those who wont do it, will probably resist and get killed.

Quote:
armed personell includes also police man)
Large parts of the Pal police is already involved in fighting with Israel, and their numbers grow by the day.
Besides, we gave them their weapons. Now we want them back.

Quote:
results in all Palastins getting absolut radical against Israel.
And what? They will send 17 year old children to blow up in buses and discotecs? They will fire mortars and missiles on Israeli settlements? They will send gunmen to the Israeli cities to kill everyone in sight?

Quote:
Your next demand would than be killing all the rest (there is always a way to get your hands on weapons)?
The only thing that prevents Israel from truly effective dealing with the arms smuggling problem is that in some spots the actions that need to be done will cause huge protests against Israel. During the war, it will not be important anymore.

As for "killing all the rest", that's an unsupported accusation.

Quote:
Hm such a Israel politic would hopefully result in cutting of all support from Europe and US for Israel, Isolating such an agressiv country .
As long as there are chances for me to blow up in a bus, or to get killed by some gunman who wanted his 72 virgins while sitting in a restaurant I dont give a **** about their support.

Quote:
(maybe even forming a international alliance against them)
Military alliance? And the goals will be what?

Quote:
By the way your speech is easily comparable to racist speeches (as it would be needed to say )
I guess you're talking about the society part. Yes, you are right. It does looks racist. But there is a small problem, it's also correct.
Or are you claiming that the Pal society is an democratic technologically and morally advanced one, with the rule of law, freedom of speech, high life quality, no incitement of TVs, no suppression of true opposition.

Quote:
Now explain why u consider a high rate of arab immigrants is bad?

Maybe a visit in some free countrys would help to open up your mind and your view of the world a bit...
1) See my reply to BFB in my previous post.
2) I live in a democratic free country. You dont need to tell me about it.

CyberGnu :

Quote:
I confirms what I said about the palestinians getting desert in the trade.
If they had cared about their population, they would've jumped on the deal immediately. The Gaza Strip is one of the most densest areas in the world, and one of the poorest ones. Adding territory to it and using it properly will make life much easier for the 1 million Palestinians who live there.
Old March 5, 2002, 07:59   #44
Tom201
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
And what? They will send 17 year old children to blow up in buses and discotecs? They will fire mortars and missiles on Israeli settlements? They will send gunmen to the Israeli cities to kill everyone in sight?
Well u maybe can imagine that the arab countrys surrounding Israel will be very upset about your politic. Turning ppl. that dislike Israel in ones that hate Israel. Ppl. that hate Israel turning into terrorists. I believe u would get a lot of atacks from the neighbouring countrys.
So what u wanna do? Atack every other country until u occupied all arab countrys?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
As long as there are chances for me to blow up in a bus, or to get killed by some gunman who wanted his 72 virgins while sitting in a restaurant I dont give a **** about their support.
Would u say that chance decreased since hardliner Sharon is there? Or was it saver for u bevor the massiv atacks from Isreali Military?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Military alliance? And the goals will be what?
That one should be at the point when Israel freaks out. Sending troops to prevent Israel from crossing the border.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I guess you're talking about the society part. Yes, you are right. It does looks racist. But there is a small problem, it's also correct.
Or are you claiming that the Pal society is an democratic technologically and morally advanced one, with the rule of law, freedom of speech, high life quality, no incitement of TVs, no suppression of true opposition.
I dont claim that they are democrats but I doubt u can change that by show agression like Israel does.
Much of your points could be easy transferd to China. Do u also hate chinese ppl. (I dont mean criticise their regime, I mean do u hate them like u hate the Palestins)?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
2) I live in a democratic free country. You dont need to tell me about it.
A free country has equal rights for everyone. Israel has rights for Jewish ppl. only. atm Israel is more some kind of a police state than a free country (I know all the military is there for some reason, but u maybe can imagine that in a free country it is not needed to have militar ppl. on every edge on the street).
Old March 5, 2002, 08:12   #45
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Well u maybe can imagine that the arab countrys surrounding Israel will be very upset about your politic. Turning ppl. that dislike Israel in ones that hate Israel. Ppl. that hate Israel turning into terrorists. I believe u would get a lot of atacks from the neighbouring countrys.
So what u wanna do? Atack every other country until u occupied all arab countrys?
I dont think that there will be anything more than couple of isolated attacks by single extremists.

Quote:
Would u say that chance decreased since hardliner Sharon is there? Or was it saver for u bevor the massiv atacks from Isreali Military?
There were no massive attacks. Bombing empty buildings and pointless incursions do not count.
Sharon stayed in the middle just like Barak before him.
So Israeli retaliations became stronger, but he didnt offer a solution. At least Barak said he has a goal, and a way to end the violence. Sharon just retaliates in a stronger way to calm down the Israeli public.

But yes, my chances to die had increased under Sharon from two reasons :
1) The intifada "advanced" to a more lethal conflict.
2) The Israeli responses weren't preventive or offensive ones, but only a pressure tool. "we will bomb the police station in Rammalah to signal the PLO that it must prevent teracts"

Quote:
That one should be at the point when Israel freaks out. Sending troops to prevent Israel from crossing the border.
I can reccomend you some good body bag manufacturers.

Quote:
I dont claim that they are democrats but I doubt u can change that by show agression like Israel does.
I never said we should/will change it. The goal is to disarm them.

Quote:
Much of your points could be easy transferd to China. Do u also hate chinese ppl. (I dont mean criticise their regime, I mean do u hate them like u hate the Palestins)?
When did I say I hate Palestinians as a nation?

My point when talking about their society was that there can be no true peace with them in the next 10-25 years. Not that I hate them.

Quote:
A free country has equal rights for everyone. Israel has rights for Jewish ppl. only.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Absolutely, completely, 100% wrong.

Quote:
atm Israel is more some kind of a police state than a free country (I know all the military is there for some reason, but u maybe can imagine that in a free country it is not needed to have militar ppl. on every edge on the street).
Ummm.
Are you aware that the police and the soldiers on every edge of the street are there to provide a fast response to shooting teracts, and to frighten potential terrorists from going to public places?

-------------------------

By not replying to some of my points, can I assume that you agreed to them?
Old March 5, 2002, 08:55   #46
Tom201
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
There were no massive attacks. Bombing empty buildings and pointless incursions do not count.
Sharon stayed in the middle just like Barak before him.
So Israeli retaliations became stronger, but he didnt offer a solution. At least Barak said he has a goal, and a way to end the violence. Sharon just retaliates in a stronger way to calm down the Israeli public.
Oh come on. U hear of killed palastins every day. 3times more palastins died than Israelis. I doubt they all died from heart atacks while Israel was "bombing empty buildings".

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I can reccomend you some good body bag manufacturers.
So u would support shooting at UN soldiers. And believe Israel Army would win the conflict against the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
When did I say I hate Palestinians as a nation?
Your comments and your racist speech (which u consider true) gives some clues about that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
A free country has equal rights for everyone. Israel has rights for Jewish ppl. only.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Absolutely, completely, 100% wrong.
A really? I wonder how much rights the palastin workers in Israel have, would u really say they have equal rights compared to Israeli ppl.?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Ummm.
Are you aware that the police and the soldiers on every edge of the street are there to provide a fast response to shooting teracts, and to frighten potential terrorists from going to public places?
Maybe it isnt a good idea to settle in occupied land to make friends...

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
By not replying to some of my points, can I assume that you agreed to them?
- Well I believe that there would be more than some isolated atacks but that is speculative.

- U could say they have large anarchy tendensies already. But I doubt it is a good idea to drive them in total anarchy

- Well Israel is atacking the palastin police so do they

- What actions exactly do u demand to prevent arm smuggling (the ones that will cause huge protests)?

- hm I think that was it

Tom
Old March 5, 2002, 09:23   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

A lot of good suggestions, but I think the main issue of Jerusalem is the problem. The best solution is to make it an international city under UN control, but no one (and their mother) would go for that plan. So, you'd have to split it, and that is where the problems come in. It must be shared, or else there is no peace. Jerusalem is too important for one group to have complete control.

The end goal is, of course, secular states in Israel and Palestine. I think the UN, if it really wanted to, could shine here. It could show people that the UN wasn't worthless. It can create a viable Palestinian state. It just needs the will to do so.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 5, 2002, 09:23   #48
Tom201
Chieftain

Ahja and what I mean with free country is, that there are diffrent degrees of free or not so free.
Like germany is a free country but not as free as the Netherlands (censorship rules, higher violent crime rate, more restrictive laws, etc.). I dont have to be frightend to get killed by some violent crime here, most likly Im gonna die in some car accident maybe.
In Israel like u said u have to avoid large groups of ppl., cose the risk of getting killed in an terror act is much higher there, than when u stay at home. Preventing u from having a normal live, or have to live with the risk and u get remindet of it from every soldier u see on the street.
U also have to live with the fact that u get controlled constantly if u are not some terrorist (less privacy).
Than is Israel much of an religios country. With nearly all ppl. believing in the same Religion and being very strict about it (compared to europe christians), that makes individuallism much harder than in a country with lot of diffrent groups.

Therefore the freedom in Israel is much lower than in Europe Countrys.

Tom
Old March 5, 2002, 09:30   #49
Eli
Emperor

Quote:

Oh come on. U hear of killed palastins every day. 3times more palastins died than Israelis. I doubt they all died from heart atacks while Israel was "bombing empty buildings".
The majority of the Pals died in clashes with IDF soldiers.
Another big part came from gunfire exchanges during Israeli incursions.
Since the Pals evacuate their facilities after teracts, most of the time only few people get injured in Israeli bombings.

Quote:
So u would support shooting at UN soldiers.
If they come to force a policy on a democratically elected goverment. Yes.

Quote:
And believe Israel Army would win the conflict against the world?
I dont believe that such conflict will ever happen.
Maybe if Israeli implements the Transfer policy, but that wont happen.

Quote:
Your comments and your racist speech (which u consider true) gives some clues about that.
A) When was I talking about "races".
B) Prove that I was wrong.

Quote:
A really? I wonder how much rights the palastin workers in Israel have, would u really say they have equal rights compared to Israeli ppl.?
So suddenly you change terminology, eh?
From Jews and Arabs, to Israelis and Palestinian workers.
Jews and Arabs, citizens of Israel have the same rights. Jews have more obligations, like compulsory military service.

Palestinian workers are not Israeli citizens.

Quote:
Maybe it isnt a good idea to settle in occupied land to make friends...
Maybe. But you're going off-topic.
You claimed that Israel is a police state because there are soldiers and policemen on every corner. I refuted the argument reminding you that these people are there to stop or thwart potential attacks. You, without any connection to the discussion attack the Israeli policy.
So either admit that your claim was wrong, or refute my argument.

Quote:
- Well I believe that there would be more than some isolated atacks but that is speculative.
Jordan and Egypt have no interest in a conflict with Israel. Syria will not dare to do a thing because of the pathetic condition of their Army, which leaves us with the Hizballah. And the Hizballah is already slowly warming up the border(nothing really significant, so you wont get this on CNN).

Quote:
- U could say they have large anarchy tendensies already. But I doubt it is a good idea to drive them in total anarchy
My point is that we shouldn't afraid of it because it's already happening(though partially). So this shouldn't be the issue preventing us from taking the military action I reccoment on.

Quote:
- Well Israel is atacking the palastin police so do they
OK. So they are part of the fight, and we have the right to retaliate against them.

Quote:
- What actions exactly do u demand to prevent arm smuggling (the ones that will cause huge protests)?
There is plenty of arms smuggling going on the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt. Mainly through underground tunnels.
The problem is that there is a Pal city there, Rafah. And the Israeli soldiers who try to demolish those tunnells are constantly under fire(this is the most active spot in this Intifada). So demolishing some neighborhoods(mostly empty because of the fighting) will be necessary.
Old March 5, 2002, 09:40   #50
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Ahja and what I mean with free country is, that there are diffrent degrees of free or not so free.
Like germany is a free country but not as free as the Netherlands (censorship rules, higher violent crime rate, more restrictive laws, etc.). I dont have to be frightend to get killed by some violent crime here, most likly Im gonna die in some car accident maybe.
In Israel like u said u have to avoid large groups of ppl., cose the risk of getting killed in an terror act is much higher there, than when u stay at home. Preventing u from having a normal live, or have to live with the risk and u get remindet of it from every soldier u see on the street.
U also have to live with the fact that u get controlled constantly if u are not some terrorist (less privacy).
Than is Israel much of an religios country. With nearly all ppl. believing in the same Religion and being very strict about it (compared to europe christians), that makes individuallism much harder than in a country with lot of diffrent groups.

Therefore the freedom in Israel is much lower than in Europe Countrys.
This is correct, except some points here and there. But what's your point?
Old March 5, 2002, 09:42   #51
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Oohh look mommy! another ME thread!

My solution,

Give west bank and Gaza back to Eygpt and Jordan. Israel builds a fence around Westbank and Gaza, lets no one in. Let Eygpt and Jordan make peace. See if Hamas attack's there arab brothers.

To sweeten the pot, Ide increase USA/EU aid to Israel, Eygpt, and Jordan.
Old March 5, 2002, 09:58   #52
Tom201
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
So u would support shooting at UN soldiers.
If they come to force a policy on a democratically elected goverment. Yes.
If some country is wrong with what they are doing it doesnt matter if they are democratic or not to send UN soldiers. If for example the US is going to kill all black ppl. cause they do too much crime. Their government would be still democratically elected. But I would support the UN to do something about it (In the US case it would of course be a bit though, u cant send UN soldiers to a worldpower...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
A) When was I talking about "races".
Well u atack the Palastins. A racist is someone who atack a certain group of ppl. chosen by race, religion, nationalty or what ever.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Palestinian workers are not Israeli citizens.
Well in other countrys foreign workers get treated much better than palastin workers in israel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Maybe. But you're going off-topic.
You claimed that Israel is a police state because there are soldiers and policemen on every corner. I refuted the argument reminding you that these people are there to stop or thwart potential attacks. You, without any connection to the discussion attack the Israeli policy.
So either admit that your claim was wrong, or refute my argument.
The Police and Military in Israel has much more rights in Israel than in other Countrys. Again it is a question of degree if some state is Policestate or not. Israel has a very strong Police/Military presence (the reason is not important for the question if this is a Policestate or not). U can of course argue about the term "Policestate" but it is infact much more of a Policestate than any European country.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
This is correct, except some points here and there. But what's your point?
My point was that I said u should visit some free country. U said u dont need cose u already live in one. My point is that u live in country with a much lower degree of freedom than european countrys. Therefore u could learn something new by visiting some
Old March 5, 2002, 10:16   #53
Eli
Emperor

Quote:

If some country is wrong with what they are doing it doesnt matter if they are democratic or not to send UN soldiers. If for example the US is going to kill all black ppl. cause they do too much crime. Their government would be still democratically elected. But I would support the UN to do something about it (In the US case it would of course be a bit though, u cant send UN soldiers to a worldpower...)
I agree.
But this country will have the full right to fight back.

Quote:
Well u atack the Palastins. A racist is someone who atack a certain group of ppl. chosen by race, religion, nationalty or what ever.
Racist statement - Jews want to take over the world's economic apparatus.
Non racist statement - The percent of Jews in the errr... how do I say it in English... "economy field" is disproprtionate(sp?) to their percent in the population.

Racist statement - Afghanis are crazy religious murderous fanatics.
Non racist statement - Afghanistan is a fundamentalist country.

Racist statement - Palestinians are primitive blood thirsty murderers.
Non racist statement - The Pal society is a primitive society - [insert here 10 specific and general examples].

Racist statement - The Israeli Jews are religious lunatics.
Non racist statement - "Than is Israel much of an religios country" - Tom201.

Quote:
Well in other countrys foreign workers get treated much better than palastin workers in israel.
Maybe, maybe not. I'll need a proof.

Quote:
The Police and Military in Israel has much more rights in Israel than in other Countrys.
Again it is a question of degree if some state is Policestate or not. Israel has a very strong Police/Military presence (the reason is not important for the question if this is a Policestate or not). U can of course argue about the term "Policestate" but it is infact much more of a Policestate than any European country.
dictionary.com says :
police state
n.
A state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the people, especially by means of a secret police force.

According to this definition, Israel is a police state just like the Netherlands.

Quote:
My point was that I said u should visit some free country. U said u dont need cose u already live in one. My point is that u live in country with a much lower degree of freedom than european countrys. Therefore u could learn something new by visiting some
Maybe you should visit Israel to understand that there is no difference. Full stop.
Old March 5, 2002, 10:53   #54
Tom201
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I agree.
But this country will have the full right to fight back.
Well they will fight back, but if this is morally justified is another question...

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Racist statement - Jews want to take over the world's economic apparatus.
Non racist statement - The percent of Jews in the errr... how do I say it in English... "economy field" is disproprtionate(sp?) to their percent in the population.

Racist statement - Afghanis are crazy religious murderous fanatics.
Non racist statement - Afghanistan is a fundamentalist country.

Racist statement - Palestinians are primitive blood thirsty murderers.
Non racist statement - The Pal society is a primitive society - [insert here 10 specific and general examples].

Racist statement - The Israeli Jews are religious lunatics.
Non racist statement - "Than is Israel much of an religios country" - Tom201.
Ok, than it was not a racist statement, but it had tendensies

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Maybe, maybe not. I'll need a proof.
Turkish foreign workers in Germany. They lived for long time already in Germany, now they have the opertunity to get a german passport and all rights germans have. There are some problems with this group but they are very minor compared to Israel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
dictionary.com says :
police state
n.
A state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic, and political life of the people, especially by means of a secret police force.

According to this definition, Israel is a police state just like the Netherlands.
I admit u are right, Israel is than no Policestate. It is a state with overproportional Police/Military Presence and rights.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Maybe you should visit Israel to understand that there is no difference. Full stop.
Hm first u agree that Israel has a lower degree of freedom, now u say there is no diffrence.

My point is that u get in some country like israel easier a radical point of view than here. If I would live in Israel I maybe would agree with u more than now from the distance.
I mean it is very common here to see mixed arab./non arab groups walking along the street (I dont think that happens often in Israel). Or u see happy arab. ppl. that smile and so on. Not like on Israel TV radical Palastins who fire weapons and cry for revenge.
U just get a diffrent point of view of things depending on what your everyday experience is.
If u would have lived in Netherlands than go to Israel and sometimes visiting back in Holland. I think u would be more likly to seek some more human solution than your military idea.
Of course u mainly care about Israel, but try to see it in a palastin point of view. Say u are a nonradical, israel friendly palastin who wants to stop the violence. Would u apriciate your military solution?

Last edited by Tom201; March 5, 2002 at 10:59.
Old March 5, 2002, 11:08   #55
Eli
Emperor

Quote:

Well they will fight back, but if this is morally justified is another question...
Fighting back is always morally justified.

Quote:
Ok, than it was not a racist statement, but it had tendensies
I admit.
Talking about a certain "society" in general is very close to racism.

Quote:
Turkish foreign workers in Germany. They lived for long time already in Germany, now they have the opertunity to get a german passport and all rights germans have. There are some problems with this group but they are very minor compared to Israel.
The Pal workers dont live in Israel. They come everyday from the territories. So these are two different situations.

Quote:
I admit u are right, Israel is than no Policestate. It is a state with overproportional Police/Military Presence and rights.
I'm not sure about the rights.
As for presence, yes. Every Jew is obliged(though many find a way to avoid it) to 3(2 if you're female) years of military service. And a certain period of reserve service every year.

Quote:
Hm first u agree that Israel has a lower degree of freedom, now u say there is no diffrence.
I was thinking about laws like light drugs legalization.

Quote:
My point is that u get in some country like israel easier a radical point of view than here. If I would live in Israel I maybe would agree with u more than now from the distance.
Correct.

Quote:
I mean it is very common here to see mixed arab./non arab groups walking along the street (I dont think that happens often in Israel). Or u see happy arab. ppl. that smile and so on. Not like on Israel TV radical Palastins who fire weapons and cry for revenge.
A) This is what hostility leads to. But I see no connection to freedom.
B) And I saw on TV a gay parade in Amsterdam, that doesnt means all Dutch are gays.

Quote:
U just get a diffrent point of view of thing depending what your everyday experience is.
Correct, but I still see no connection to freedom.

Quote:
If u would have lived in Netherlands than go to Israel and sometimes visiting back in Holland. I think u would be more likly to seek some more human solution than your military idea.
Yes. And I would've been wrong.
Someone who doesnt experience the problem cannot truly understand or solve it.
It's the small things that affect you. Not some big teract that killed 20 children, but things like the need to open your bag before entering malls and other public places, or more exposure to Palestinian incitement.
This is correct also for the Pal side, with the need to spend hours of waiting in roadblocks and other examples.

Quote:
Of course u mainly care about Isreal, but try to see it of a palastin point of view. Say u are a nonradical, israel friendly palastin who wants to stop the violence. Would u apriciate your military solution?
No.
But can he do something to prevent me from doing so?
Can he and others like him demonstrate against the PA policy, or affect it in some way?
Old March 5, 2002, 11:12   #56
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Oohh look mommy! another ME thread!

My solution,

Give west bank and Gaza back to Eygpt and Jordan. Israel builds a fence around Westbank and Gaza, lets no one in. Let Eygpt and Jordan make peace. See if Hamas attack's there arab brothers.

To sweeten the pot, Ide increase USA/EU aid to Israel, Eygpt, and Jordan.

ooohh...this could work. if only sharon played civ!
Old March 5, 2002, 11:18   #57
Rufus T. Firefly
King

There's no solution to this problem that's going to be fair, just, and/or looked upon kindly by history. So I think we have to proceed that solving the problem is going to require something very unpleasant for somebody (kind of like my uncle having to have his legs amputated to control his diabetes; it worked, but nobody looked at the solution and thought, "excellent"). With that in mind, two propositions:

1) Any parent knows that when kids can't play nice with a toy, you take the toy away. So any permanent solution should involve the internationalization of Jerusalem; nobody gets it, and it becomes a free international city governed by the UN -- which, for good measure, relocates there. Since it will then belong to all nations, any subsequent attack on Jerusalem by anybody will be, by definition, an attack on the rest of the world.

2) Beyond that, though, the only solution I have is one I don't like myself. It stems from my best friend's exasperated cry, "But there already is a Palestinian state! It's called 'Jordan.' " My very reluctant proposal (versions of which have already shown up) is the forced removal of Palestinians to Jordan, to be presided over by the UN (to keep it from being a Trail of Tears/Armenian Genocide) and paid for by Israel. No, it's not "fair," but, again, I doubt any actual solution could be. As for the claim that the West Bank doesn't belong to Israel...hey, somebody should have thought of that before they attacked Israel and got their asses kicked. Besides, the Jordan is a much more logical border between the two nations.
Old March 5, 2002, 11:23   #58
Az
Emperor

talking to yourself , FG ?
Old March 5, 2002, 11:27   #59
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Combine Israel with Palestinian holdings. Call the new state "Palestine". Define borders with Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan. Secular state, secular education. Distribute wealth. Democratic government. Everything is common to the state.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old March 5, 2002, 11:38   #60
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalgetti
talking to yourself , FG ?

ya, only cause I think my idea is the only solution to this problem.