Old March 5, 2002, 03:23   #1
dyugle
Settler

Local Time: 21:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Group/ungroup button required?
Here is a post that I recently made to Tech Support and they suggested that I post it here. So here it is.

The game becomes very long due to the problem of having to issue the same command to the same type of unit. It would be nice to have a group/ungroup command which would allow you to issue the command once and have all units in the group perform the same command.
Is this a mod that I could develop myself or would it have to be developed by the manufacturer?

The way the command would work is as follows;
Say you have 5 workers on one tile. When the first worker's turn pops up you press the group icon. Now the unit description will change to say 5 workers. Issue the command "road" and the workers will build a road. This will not take all of the group's effort so the remaining workers in the group you tell to move to the next square. On the next turn the other workers (the ones that built the road) should move automatically to the next square and the workers already there should request new instructions as a group. If you want to add units to the group then place the new units on the same tile and press the group/ungroup button twice to abandon the group and reform it again including the new workers.

This would be a great addition to an excelent game which would speed up game play. Immagine grouping your bommers to rebase them with one command. Group your artillary and light up a city with one command. Some of these commands at the end of the game take more than 5 minutes.

Say you just took your first city on a new continent and you want to rebase you airforce there, all 50 planes. Your airforce is currently on the bottom of the other side of the world. Your job - click the rebase button scroll to the other side of the world and click on the new city. Then repeat this 50 times. At the end of the game I just bunker down and let the time run out instead of fighting a battle that involves so much protracted boring repeditive mousing.

I know my comments are repeditive but that is my point.

Thanks for reading my comments I look forward to hearing from you.

Ross Macrae

P.S. I hope there is a group/ungroup button included in a future patch.

PSS A "wake all" and "upgrade all" command on the military adviser screen would also be nice to affect all units of the same type.
Old March 5, 2002, 04:12   #2
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 22:20
There already is stacked movement with which you can't issue grouped order but at least grouped movement (this includes the re-basing of aircraft as well!).

There also is an "upgrade all" command: Shift-U

There is not exactly a "wake all" command but you can right cilck on a stack and shift click all the units you want to wake up. Unfortunately only the ones in the stack.

So I have to say that I personally don't need group movement as for the most common types there already is a possibility.

Some kind of "Stacked Bombardment" (Arty or bomber) would be great though!

But of course I wouldn't object if they put a goup button in the game in a future patch.
Old March 6, 2002, 22:26   #3
dyugle
Settler

Local Time: 21:20
Thanks for the grouped rebase command this will speed things up a bit perhaps there is a way to speed up the problem I describe below.

I want an upgrade all command on the military advisor screen cause I don't want to have to go to every city and upgrade the one tank that is sitting there. I just want to upgrade all the tanks that I have wherever they may be. I don't necessarly want to upgrade every unit in a city either just the tanks or artillary or pikemen etc.
A wake all button on the military advisor screen would allow me to wake all my artiliary, where ever they may be, when an enemy lands on my continent. Send them to the front line. Grind down the enemy. Wake all the tanks on the continent send them to the front line and destroy the ground down units. Currently I am searching through my citties or waking one at a time from the military advisors screen. This unfortunately pops me out of the advisor screen to the city. Now I fight with this one tank and then it is back to the advisor screen to wake the next tank. This seems to take quite a while late in the game when I have 30 plus citties to search trhough.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Dyugle