Old January 2, 2001, 07:47   #1
kenfitz
Settler

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Any plans to make versions for the PocketPC (iPaq, Jornada, etc...)?
I would love to be able to play on my iPaq. Would it be possible to port Civ II to the PocketPC? I would
definately purchase something like that!
Old January 2, 2001, 11:03   #2
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 02:40
I think PC-version is due to make first relase

About the others.
There is a mention in firaxis old CivIII-FAQ and I quote
quote:

Are there any plans for Civilization III to be made for the Mac or Linux port?
Any decisions regarding ports are made by the Civilization III publisher, Hasbro Interactive.

So patience is required.
Old January 2, 2001, 12:41   #3
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
And Hasbro's not even the publisher anymore...
Old January 4, 2001, 21:36   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Who's the publisher now?
Old January 7, 2001, 02:02   #5
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:40
I'm back from a long time of neglect on these forums (about 2 weeks ).

Anyway, the only problem with doing it for the pocket PC is that pocket PC's lack the storage memory to hold such a game. Even if they cut out most of the complicated features it would still take a couple of flash memory cards to hold it. Actually, they have (or could easily make) hard drives and other storage attachements that you can attach to your PPC to store it so never mind what I was just talking about.

I think it would be a great idea. I own a Handheld PC (a little bigger then a Pocket PC with a keyboard) and it would be nice to have something to do on it when I get bored in my classes other than just solitare and drawing pictures .
Old January 8, 2001, 18:45   #6
tniem
King

Well...

The original SimCity is available on Palm Pilot but that isn't as complicated or complex as Civ III will be. Much like airdrik, I just don't think its possible.
Old January 9, 2001, 01:03   #7
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:40
I never said it wouldn't be possible, I said it would be possible, they would just need to tweek it, through a bunch of the unneeded stuff out. Reduce graphics back to civ 2-style/2d unanimated graphics so that it doesn't take up as much memory (ROM as well as RAM).
Old January 9, 2001, 12:42   #8
kenfitz
Settler

I think with some scaling down of the graphics and sound it could be possible to store it in the machine's main memory. The game could even be distributed on it's own flash card or PC card and would require little tweaking (just like gameboy, nintendo, etc...). My iPaq supports 4096 colors (something like that), 206mhz processor, 32meg of ram for files and applications (the OS and MS Apps are burned on an additional 16 meg flash rom). Overall, I don't think it would be a problem to come up with something that would work.

My question about the possibility of making this happen, was aimed at Firaxis's (or Hasbro, whomever owns the code)willingness to do something like this for Civ II. As for Civ III, they should be thinking about making it available for multiple platforms like Pocket PC's, Unix boxes, game machines (N64, PS2, etc...), as well as the PC market.

It is one of the greatest games ever made, they should be making it available to everyone regardless of platform.

I briefly considered downloading the Windows CE developement environment (distributed freely by Microsoft) and trying to port the Freeciv to Windows CE. If I didn't have a job, kids, and more important obligations, I would seriously consider it.
Old January 9, 2001, 16:11   #9
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 01-04-2001 08:36 PM
Who's the publisher now?

Hasbro Interactive is the publisher. They have just been sold to Infogames according to MarkG.