Old March 5, 2002, 12:01   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 21:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which civ do you play as, and why?
Interesting to see which level everyone plays at. But I'm more curious as to who plays what civ and why? I keep having trouble making that decision. I want science and religion but I also love industrious and maybe commercial. What do you like?
Old March 5, 2002, 12:15   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 22:20
You should better make this a multiple choice poll, because many people don't stick to only one civ.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:21   #3
Todd Hawks
Prince

As it is no poll at all you are free to chose as many civs as you would like.

I always play random. Different units, different strategies every time I play and therefore more fun for me.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:34   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:20
There have been a number of threads discussing civ choice (most probably in the strategy forum), so you could search and find quite a few explanations. Due to the fact that I want to avoid doing any actual work, however, I'll restate my opinions:

My favorite civs to play are the Babylonians and Egyptians. Also strong are the Iroquois and Persians.

Babylonians: Religious/Scientific, 2/2/1 UU.

I love the Babs. 1/2 price temples & libraries, which come pretty early on, give you a huge culture advantage early, not to mention getting those city builds out of the way so you can build other things, like large groups of guys with pointy sticks. Religious, IMO, is the strongest attribute in the game, as it eliminates anarchy, and allows for the easy construction of religious buildings. Scientific is also a solid trait, particularly if you are like me and have an irresistable compulsion to out-tech the AI. The bonus tech per era, coupled with no anarchy, gives you a nice turn advantage.

Drawbacks include a weak UU, which will trigger an early golden age if you use it when it's vaguely useful. I usually don't even build them, and trigger my golden age due to wonders (GL/Colossus or GL/Sistine).

Egyptians: Religious/Industrious, 2/1/2, wheeled, req. horses, UU.

Religious, as stated above, is my choice for #1 attribute. If forced to pick a #2, I would probably go with Industrious. The worker bonus really makes a difference at the start of the game, jumpstarting your expansion and development. The extra 1/2 shields for cities and metropoli don't really make much of a difference, except maybe in an ancient/medieval wonder race. The worker bonus reasserts itself briefly once you discover steam power, as you can get your RR net build with incredible speed, with relatively few workers. After that, it's all about ease of pollution cleanup (nice, but hardly important). The UU is ok, in that it's cheap, but it's basically a horseman that can't enter Mts. or Jungle, and is obselete shockingly fast. It will also trigger an early golden age if used when it's useful. Using 1.17, I've been lucky to get one or two built before completing the G.Library and getting horsebackriding.

Iroquois: Religious/Expansionist, 3/1/2, req. horses UU.

Expansionist has been beefed up, but still isn't a favorite of mine. On large/huge maps, however, it's pretty nice to have. On small maps, it seems like a waste. With the Iroquois, though, it's all about the Mounted Warrior. 3/1/2 in the ancient era That's HUGE. Kill, destroy, burn, pillage, plunder... sure, another early golden age, but this time you've got a UU that seriously outclasses anything but hoplites.

Persians: Scientific/Industrious, 4/2/1, req. iron UU.

I think scientific is stonger when combined with religious, but it does ok with industrious. Again, good bonus to start, free tech per era. Lack of religious hurts, though. I hate playing non-religious civs. Anarchy sucks, and so does starting the game w/o the ability to build temples. The UU, however, tends to make up for it. Attack 4, ancient era. Wow. Against spearmen, Immortals do a pretty good impression of the Grim Reaper. Slow movement is the only drawback. Pretty early golden age yet again.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:36   #5
Harovan
staff

Ok, if it isn't a poll, it will be hard to compare the results, anyway...

1/2 of my games I played with "my" Germans, culturally linked start positions, standard size, continents, normal clima, and France, Russia and England as pre-chosen opponents, rest either a mix of other "modern" nations, or random. I call this "modern challenge".

1/3 of my games I played with either the Egyptians, Babylonians or Greeks, pangea, warm and arid clima, either on a standard map with Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Rome, Persia, Zululand, India and China, or on a small map with the above except India and China. I call this "ancient challenge".

The rest are either experiments with other nations, or "random challenges". I never completed such a game though, mostly I break in the medieval ages.

At this time, I don't play at all, having a break after 4 months continuous playing.
Old March 5, 2002, 12:45   #6
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
Well, I usually play random, but my favorite civs (i.e, the ones i've had the most success with) are the Babylonians for when I feel like a more peaceful game, and the Zulu when I feel like a more warmongering game.
Old March 5, 2002, 14:56   #7
Egyptian
Settler

When I first started playing civ3 (I've neverplayed 1 or 2) I played with a random civ. Now I ALWAYS play as Egyptian. Once you've played as an industrious civ, it's nearly impossible to go back to needing 24 turns to clear a jungle or 12 turns to mine a hill. Mines and roads in three turns are great, and allow me to focus on producing settlers instead of workers. Needing half as many workers is huge in the early game. Also, once I get steam power, my small army of workers will railroad my entire civilization in no time. And those of you who don't think quick pollution clean-up is important should remember that your city cannot use a polluted tile to produce anything.

Religous is also a great strength. One turn gov't ghanges are extremely convenient. Like fast workers, once you get used to one turn anarchy, you'll never go back. Also, being able to build a half price temple in the early game always provides me with a few culture flops from the other nearby civs.

Since becoming addicted to Egyptian, I'v tried to play a few other civs, but always go back to Egyptian.
Old March 5, 2002, 16:41   #8
Worthingtons
Prince

I play nearly all my games as Romans, for the following Reasons.

Militaristic is a HUGE advantage to me, People moan about leaders, I got EIGHTEEN in my last game which barely reached the Modern Ages, Cheap Harbours are also cool, as are frequent promotions. Commercial is also a good quality.
What attracts me most to the Romans is thier UU, Legionaires are invincable in their time, and once you take a city they can defend it.

My Stratagy is to make zillions of Warriors Ancient Era, and as soon as I Road up Iron I Upgrade to Legion's and I have a massive powerful army at my disposal. Once they have destroyed the Germans and other barbarians I am most likely in a game winning posistion.
Old March 5, 2002, 16:56   #9
Spatzimaus
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:20
Chinese.

Here's why. As Rothy pointed out, being Militaristic gives you lots of Leaders (and in general, Elite units), allowing you to rush Wonders during the Middle Ages. The cheaper price on Harbors and Barracks makes a big difference in newly-acquired territories.

Industrious is also good; more shields helps, but the bigger thing is the increased Worker speed; I bring Workers along with my front-line units (once I can make railroad, that is), allowing me to attack several cities deep in one turn. Overall, I'd rather have Religious or Scientific, but the big one is next.

The Chinese have the best Unique Unit in the game.

Rider (4/3/3 replacement for the 4/3/2 Knight)

That extra movement point makes a HUGE difference. I can attack across a border. I can do a standing attack against an adjacent enemy and still have movement points left. I can get newly-created units from the far side of my empire into battle VERY fast. 3 MP is a big improvement over 2, which makes it awkward when I have to make Tanks.

The Rider comes right at a time when offense overpowers defense, and cities won't be large enough to get large defensive bonuses. And, it upgrades to Cavalry (only change is 6 attack instead of 4) so tactics don't have to change.

Having an offensive UU means that I'll inevitably trigger my Golden Age right at the beginning of the Middle Ages, right when everyone is racing for Wonders. If your UU is defensive you have no control over when it starts. I ALWAYS get it right when I want it, and that alone has stopped me from playing any civ with a defensive UU. The best time for a Golden Age is the Middle Ages, I think, which rules out a lot of others.

So, during the Middle Ages, suddenly I'll have a Golden Age (with almost doubled production and research), a large number of very effective attacking troops (and thanks to the Golden Age I can make more, quickly), and I'll be creating a large number of Leaders. I can usually go from last to first, conquering two to three civs along the way, in 20 turns.
Old March 5, 2002, 17:12   #10
Worthingtons
Prince

Yeah, Chinese look very good also.

IMO, Here are the Civ's by Usefulness....

1. Romans
2. Persians
3. Japanese
4. Iroquis
5. Chinese
6. Aztecs
7. Egyptians
8. Babylonians
9. Greeks
10. Germans
11. French
12. Zulu's
13. Russians
14. Indians
15. Americans
16. English
Old March 5, 2002, 18:03   #11
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:20
I play random, and like Babylonians best.
Old March 6, 2002, 01:50   #12
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

In order ofhow how good they are
1. Chinese
2. Aztecs
3. Iroquois
4. Egyptians
5. Romans
6. Japanese
7. Babylonians
8. Persians
9. Zulus
10. Germans
11. Greeks
12. French
13. Russians
14. Americans
15. Indians
16. English

If it weren't for the great fun of using the Jaguar Warrior, I would play as the Chinese most. They are clearly, in my opinion, the strongest civ. However, I love sending the JW around destroying improvements and stuff. So I think I play as the Aztecs more.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 6, 2002, 02:11   #13
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Romans. The most basic reason is that I just like the real world history of Rome, and that attracts me to playing as them. Having a good UU is a bonus (although I also much prefer 'Legions' to 'Swordsmen').
Old March 6, 2002, 02:47   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
japanese

military and religious. I like waging war. and religious just seems convenient for me.

the aztecs have the same properties but their uu gives me too early a golden age. but I have played them as well. they are cool.
Old March 6, 2002, 08:35   #15
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

I play Egyptians at the moment. Industrious and Religous are both useful traits. The War Chariot is a cheap Horseman. Unfortunately Chariots cannot pass mountains but that's not really a big problem.

Japanese are a lot of fun, too.
Old March 6, 2002, 08:36   #16
Worthingtons
Prince

I've been considering being Japan, but i just cant bring myself round to being them , Might be Iroquis in the next game tho.
Old March 6, 2002, 15:16   #17
KrazyHorse
Deity

Greeks. Cheap libraries are a must, both for culture and research, and reduced corruption is also useful if you want to play a 20 city plus game.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 6, 2002, 18:12   #18
Brundlefly
Prince

I'm surprised no one has chosen the French. Their combination of commercial and industrious is best for maintaining a large empire. The best time for a Golden Age is Middle Ages and they have a Middle Ages UU.

I agree with the arguments for Militaristic Civs. Roman and Chinese are best. However, I get much more enjoyment beating down a Militaristic civ than playing one.

I never play expansionist civs because that is a useless trait. I like to play Industrious civs with either Commercial or Scientific.
Old March 6, 2002, 19:08   #19
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
I'm surprised no one has chosen the French.
Somebody hasn't played Deity.

I love the French when I'm playing a relaxing regent game, but on higher levels, they have difficulty taking over other civs due to their lack of any of the traits that are useful for conquering, and their abominable UU.

The French are awesome allies though.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 7, 2002, 10:45   #20
Sava

I play as Germany because the Panzer UU lets me trigger the Golden Age when I want it. Other Civ's with UU's in the early part of the game are not as good because you end up wasting the Golden Age. Also, the Germans can build all types of the wonders up until Newtons and Copernicus without triggering the Golden Age.

Usually I expand like made until all land is taken up. Even when the AI has little pockets not yet filled in, I still build cities there and I rush temples and libraries to out muscle their culture. Then when the world is filled, I mass Panzers and make Armies to hold infantries. Then, I conquer the world, one civ at a time. I consistently win on deity.

Old March 7, 2002, 12:20   #21
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Pius Popprasch
Unfortunately Chariots cannot pass mountains but that's not really a big problem.
They also can't pass jungle, and that is a big problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
I never play expansionist civs because that is a useless trait
Depends. On huge maps expansionist is very powerful. I'm planning to give the Zulus a try.
Old March 7, 2002, 12:43   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

RE: War Chariots. Yeah, if there is a jungle between you and the guy you wanna ice, W.C.'s aren't gonna help you. OTOH, if you are doing battle on the open plain, they are nice cheap horsemen.

I personally choose my civ based upon the attributes, not the unit (the one possible exception being the Iroquois). This is why I do not play the Chinese. I don't like their attributes - the Rider rocks, no question (perfectly timed Golden Age, 3 moves at a time when offense beats defense). So, when I choose the Egyptians, I give no thought to the War Chariot, just like I ignore the Bab bowman. Neither really gives you an edge, but that's what the attributes are for. They are, in my opinion, builder civs.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 7, 2002, 12:54   #23
belchingjester
Chieftain

I tend to avoid playing the French or Indians precisely because they make good allies.

Now, playing the Germans/Romans/Zulu to avoid running into them - I've done that.

Most of the time I play random (end up with the Greeks & Indians a LOT for some reason).

Favorites is a different question - I like Greeks, Babs, Persians mainly for builder reasons. Greeks are nice b/c they defend well in ancient era, don't need any resources.
-belchingjester
Old March 7, 2002, 13:20   #24
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Babs, Egyptians, Aztec, Iroquois, French

I like 'em all, but those would be my top five....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 7, 2002, 13:45   #25
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Babs, Egyptians, Aztec, Iroquois, French

I like 'em all, but those would be my top five....

-=Vel=-
Apparently great minds think alike Well, except for the French... automatic disqualification for being pink (j/k).

I still haven't tried the French. I would imagine that, due to their traits, once the Empire is up and running, it's awesome. But it's gotta take a bit longer to ramp up (I'm thinking about building all of those full price temples, libraries, cathedrals and universities).

-Arrian

Old March 7, 2002, 14:47   #26
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Yeah....I dunno...even though the thought of playing the "Giant Pink Vulture" of the world DOES give me the willies, I gotta say, they really rock. The combined benefits of Comm and Ind (and the synergy that creates) is just....music.

Doesn't matter that their color reeks, or their UU is almost as useful as kudzu....those two abilities are just....insanely good together....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 7, 2002, 16:06   #27
Moonsinger
Warlord

I like all comercial civs because they have less coruption. My top two would be Greek & French.
Old March 7, 2002, 17:33   #28
godinex
Prince

Romans, Greeks and Egypt for the UU and ..... Aztecs!
Old March 7, 2002, 20:48   #29
Txurce
Prince

I've been playing Monarch/Space Race on a standard map, and did well with the French as well as with the favorites just listed: Babylon, Egypt, and the Aztecs. Because of the relative ease of these games, I don't even think about when a GA is triggered. (I assume this matters more at higher levels.) At this point I feel I could win this sort of game with anyone - I won one starting alone on an island with the Aztecs, which meant a total waste of the UU until they became modern-era saboteurs. Having said all that, I think that the computer never has more of an edge than at the start of the game, and so I would opt for civs that deliver right away: the Aztecs, Babs, Egyptians, and then the Iroquois, with their early temples and offensive UUs to carve out enough land to ensure a comfortable game. I've found it's hard to fall behind against the AI once you're meaningfully ahead.
Old March 7, 2002, 23:19   #30
Cairo_East
Chieftain

I like playing the English due to the challenge of having virtually no advantage over other civilizations.
-"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)