Old March 5, 2002, 19:41   #1
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 13:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Looking for Darth Veda's Jap scenario
Could someone tell me where I can find it? I have a sudden urge to play a WW2 scenario as the Rising Sun.
Old March 5, 2002, 20:24   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 05:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd recommend Case's battle of Oz. Its a bit easy playing as the Empire of the Sun but most satisfying if you want to crush those pesky Aussies.
Old March 5, 2002, 23:53   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 07:22
Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
I'd recommend Case's battle of Oz. Its a bit easy playing as the Empire of the Sun
That's putting it lightly! Didn't you finish the scenario in something like 3 turns when you playtested it as the Japanese?

Quote:
but most satisfying if you want to crush those pesky Aussies.
I have to admit that I enjoy seeing the Japanese conquer Queensland

Darthveda posted an excelent looking beta ages ago, you may be able to dig though the old posts unil you find it...

Failing that, Harlan Thompson's WW2 in the Pacific scenario is damn fine
Old March 6, 2002, 00:23   #4
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 15:22
Harlan Thompson's Pacific War Scenario
Hey guys,
Every time I try to play the scenario, Civ 2 crashes, saying there is a error in civ2.exe.
I am running the patched MGE.

I can load the scenario fine, but as soon as I try to move a unit, it crashes.

Help please!

Pap
Old March 6, 2002, 00:30   #5
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Didn't you finish the scenario in something like 3 turns when you playtested it as the Japanese?
Heh. Actually I didn't playtest that one. I didn't end up winning it either as I had to retreat at the thought of throwing away my IJA legions in utterly suicidal assaults against those fearsome Kiwi reinforcements!
Old March 6, 2002, 00:51   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Heh. Actually I didn't playtest that one.
Oh yeah.
It was actually Boco who conquered Australia in three weeks. *makes note to move to New Zealand should he ever become president of a major nation*
Old March 6, 2002, 01:52   #7
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
I'd recommend Case's battle of Oz. Its a bit easy playing as the Empire of the Sun but most satisfying if you want to crush those pesky Aussies.
But I like Australians...

Old March 6, 2002, 02:22   #8
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
The addy for the beta (ie it only plays to 1939ish, about 20 turns) is:

http://darthveda.tripod.com/kjitsu.zip

In the past few weeks I've been working on it, I've fixed a number of bugs and updated some of the graphics.

I'm also at sort of a crossroads about how I want the rest of the scenario to play out. I can either have a month-by-month objective system like in the first 5 turns, or I can have some more broad-based system.

That's the lesser of my concerns, as I'm trying to think whether I want a true-to-history representation of ww2 for the japs (victory at first followed by crushing defeat and eventual loss), or a looser interpretation.

Unfortunately, even though the ToT AI is much improved, I'm still not certain of how wildly unpredictable and stupid it could be using its Naval units. (Imagine a stack of 5 carriers, 6 battleships, and 12 other units sitting on top of each other at sea).

What I'm even more concerned about is not the AI's ability to scourge the player on the ocean (the dive-bombers will no doubt tear through unprotected fleets) but more about it's strategic goals.

For example, if I were to take a "guided approach" to the AI, ala Red Front, telling it where to move and when, the player would be able to freelance anywhere in the pacific and concentrate on protecting one small path.

The AI on Freelance probably wouldn't fair any better.

So I have two questions that need answering:

1) Can a game that ultimately ends up in defeat be entertaining? Or should I go for a less historical approach?

2) What is to be done about the AI at sea? It can use carriers inteligently enough, but it's fleet action leaves something to be desired. (I'll test this for confirmation--although I doubt it is on the same level as Halsey or Nimitz).

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make the AI perform decent fleet actions, I'm all ears.
Old March 6, 2002, 02:46   #9
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Hi Darth,

Firstly, thanks for not giving up on the scenario. I knew it wasn't finsihed, but I didn't not know you were still working on it!

About your questions:
I'm always for the historic scenarios, especially when it results in a crushing defeat. And I think this would be easier to simulate than a freelance scenario, at least if you want both to be challenging. Here's what I would do with the navy in your situation.

I would used events of everything. I wouldn't count on the AI keeping organized fleets because they won't. When you want the American fleet to attack a certain point, you create a fleet at that point and used the moveunit command (moveunit could be optional). For example, if I wanted the Americans to attack Manila, I'd use the give technology event, like liberation of the philipines (credit license is allowed ) and then used the received technology trigger. With the count and randomize parameters, you can created a hell of a lot of warships and aircraft (using minimal event space since this is ToT ) near Manila, and they wouldn't be stacked too badly either. If you used moveunit action and have received technology as the trigger, make sure you type that in after all your credit unit events, because the game reads and processes the events from top to bottom. If you have the moveunit action before the create units, the units won't move.

For AI carriers, I would just give them a LOT of HP, like 9, just to simulate the aircraft that would normally be used to defend them, because we know the AI will not land aircraft on them. And as long as you create this with events like I described and you create aircraft, AI airforce will be in the area on the offensive to deal with. Just be liberal with the count parameter. To simulate aggresive AIs, I normally give their troops a little statistic advantage, but an incredible advantage in their numbers. In my Tot scenarios, the human usually ends up getting outnumbered around 10 to 1 to make up for Artificial Idiocy.

Anyway, I hope you finish the scenario soon! Good luck!
Old March 6, 2002, 03:08   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Well I made some interesting discoveries in the last hour or so.

Firstly, I was quite impressed with the ToT AI's ability to command a carrier. Not only did it sortie and return aircraft to the carrier, it showed the ability to load aircraft from land bases and vice versa. Granted, there were a number of aircraft that flew off into the wild blue never to be heard from again, but it's an improvement over MGE. The carriers are much smarter when they are near a friendly city for some reason (fighters know they have to rebase, but aren't always inclined to rejoin the carrier, even if it means suicide).

Transports did moderately well, taking nearby bases of opportunity.

The AI however, showed its usual need to stack units (but not every single turn, it did spread them around).

SO, what I'm thinking of doing, in addition to suggestions above, is changing the infantry units that are settler status to regular infantry, so that they can fortify, and covering the oceans in fortresses.

Thankfully, fortresses don't seem to add bonuses to water units but they do prevent all units from dying in a single shot.

As for the big picture, the AI is going to need some kind of "nudge" or encouragement to send units to a particular area. Carriers could be a problem in that respect, as I don't know if the air units will stay if given a general "moveunit" command, or if they will just fly to their doom. I suspect the latter.

So I think I'll give the carrier AI a freelance approach with transports/melee sea units receiving a moveunit push, (especially at objective points), and see what it does.

In combination with the stacked sea unit combat, it may just work...
Old March 7, 2002, 00:12   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

A new look for an old friend...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfriend.gif
Views:	278
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	10966  
Old March 7, 2002, 00:28   #12
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

excellent!
Old March 7, 2002, 00:51   #13
DarthVeda
Emperor

And the parade goes on...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	newfriend.gif
Views:	261
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	10967  
Old March 7, 2002, 20:48   #14
The ANZAC
King

Local Time: 16:22
Looks good, Darth I like the Indian Infantry
Old March 9, 2002, 01:26   #15
DarthVeda
Emperor

Ok events file #6 is theoretically done. Now I just need to playtest it.
Old March 19, 2002, 00:57   #16
DarthVeda
Emperor

I decided I could not go on living unless I added a Ki-30 Light Bomber to the China campaign
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mitsubishi ki30 ann.bmp
Views:	11
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	11603  
Old March 19, 2002, 01:00   #17
DarthVeda
Emperor

Well thats obnoxious... let's try it again in ".gif" format.

I'm almost finished tweaking events file #6. I just need to test the Nomonhan Incident-related units I added to the end of the file.
Attached Images:

Old March 19, 2002, 01:28   #18
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

The bomber looks nice, but I suggest you reposition it away from the top because the tail is going to get cut off by the unit's lifebar.
Old March 19, 2002, 14:32   #19
klesh
King

More Indians...
Made this one up whilst Nemoizing the units for 'Up the Deadly Boot'. Maybe it is useful? Would need to be slapped into ToT format of course...

-FMK.
Attached Images:

Old March 19, 2002, 14:33   #20
DarthVeda
Emperor

Events file 6 is done and playtested (three times). 7 is now in the works.
Old March 19, 2002, 14:38   #21
DarthVeda
Emperor

Re: More Indians...
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Made this one up whilst Nemoizing the units for 'Up the Deadly Boot'. Maybe it is useful? Would need to be slapped into ToT format of course...

-FMK.
That's pretty good but it is too close a resemblence to the IJA infantry I have in the game. Thanks anyway
Old March 19, 2002, 14:41   #22
klesh
King

Nemo IJA + Generic Indian Head= FMK Indian Inf!
Old March 19, 2002, 19:57   #23
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh

Nemo IJA + Generic Indian Head= FMK Indian Inf!
Hey it's perfect for the Indian National Army - this was a 40,000 strong force the Japanese recuited from Indian POWs.
Old March 19, 2002, 22:07   #24
DarthVeda
Emperor

Ok events file #7 is done, on to #8

Yeeehawww... got an events file done in less than a day... things are looking good for Kyokujitsu!
Old March 20, 2002, 10:34   #25
klesh
King

Excellent progress Darth... How many events files are there to do total?

Also, did you get my PM?

-FMK.
Old March 20, 2002, 14:28   #26
DarthVeda
Emperor

FMK: En total, there will probably be... 29 events files.

I'll reply to your PM in a bit...

Just a word on Kyokujitsu: I'm going to probably not much progress over the next week because I have 2 programming projects that are due (plus regular homework) for my C++ and Java classes.

This is a theory but...

I made a discovery this morning, the tech paradigm controlled by the rules.txt file seems to have some bearing on consecutive techs. I'll explore it later when I get the time. What I think happens is that for each consecutive discovery (does not matter the number of techs you already have), the game adds the number for the tech paradigm in the rules.txt to the number of beakers.

(Say paradigm for the *scenario* is set to 3 and the rules.txt file has a paradigm of 10).

The game adds 10 to the number of beakers required for the next advance, and multiplies that requirement by 3/10. The denominator in this equation I believe is independent of the rules.txt file. (As my changing of it had absolutely no bearing on the game research time for a particular turn of Kyokujitsu).

For example, your next advance requires 100 beakers (not visible to you, but done as a precalculation). You would have to accumulate only 30 to receive the advance. Your next advance would require 110 (+10 from rules.txt).

A quick way I could test this is see what happens when I put 0 as the rules.txt paradigm. (The game will crash if it is used as a denominator). I think I'll do that now.
Old March 21, 2002, 18:23   #27
DarthVeda
Emperor

Well it doesn't crash but I can't say for sure if it does anything... more testing to come
Old March 23, 2002, 01:45   #28
DarthVeda
Emperor

As soon as I make some final changes and tests, I'll release the link for the newest build of Kyokujitsu (two more events files and more units covering Nomonhan Incident).
Old March 23, 2002, 02:35   #29
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Just wanted to say that I am not playing this scen at the moment because of all the changes being made. But I would like to add that despite the lack of interest in ToT, I am still eager to see this one finished and I will be playing it. It definetly has potential and I hope DV keeps the project alive.
Old March 23, 2002, 15:28   #30
DarthVeda
Emperor

Woops... discovered a fatal problem in events 7... going to take some time to fix... 6 and 7 will be out within the week though