Old March 5, 2002, 21:30   #1
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Medieval Pack II v2.1: Crusade! update
Here is the readme for the Crusade update. Attached in the following post is the zipped update files. Unzip them into the Call-to-Power folder as usual.
I have sent Mark and Wouter the zip, so if you have trouble with attachments like I do, I hope the file will be available at other locations shortly.

Medieval Mod II v2.1: Crusade! readme
by Wes Whitaker.

This file covers all the additions made in the 2.1 update of the Crusade! version of the Medieval Pack II.

Thanks to all of you who offered feedback on the forums. Hopefully this update will address your concerns.
For this update of the second version of the modpack, I have again tried to address the remaining failings of the AI.
The changes made in the update are not very numerous, but they involve many of the most fundamental settings in the game, so I believe they may produce a big change to AI performance.

Production changes:
I have reduced the effect of the production improvements from 30%, 60% and 90% to 25%, 50% and 75%. I also reduced the pollution unhappiness from production by 25% for all government types. Finally, I corrected a bug by adding the flag to the Diplomatic personality which told it how long to wait before cleaning up pollution.
I hope that this will help keep the AI from building its cities into chaos due to production unhappiness.

New AI priorities and forcematching:
I have added several new priorities to the strategies.txt, which deal with special attacks and using paratroopers. Thanks to Martin Guhmann and Player 1 for alerting me to the fact that these priorities were missing, and offering their settings for me to paste into my file.

I also altered the force-matching settings the AI uses to determine whether it is strong enough to launch attacks, as well as the force strength necessary for defense.
After making my reductions in these settings, I reviewed those in the Cradle mod, and saw that my new settings were about halfway between my old settings and those in Cradle.

Martin also found and fixed a bug with the commerce tile improvements trigger that he wrote.

Diplomacy:
I fixed part of the personality-switching trigger so that the switched personalities mirror the originals.
I hope that this will make newly militaristic civs act more like militarists.

Difficulty levels:
I increased the max-ahead and max-behind bonuses given to the AI on the Emperor and Deity levels so that they match those found in the Cradle mod, except for the starting gold amount, which I believe the AI uses to rush-buy too many units and thus burden it with excessive support costs.
I also found that I had reduced by half the gold, science and production bonuses given to the AI on Emperor level, and I have raised them to their original settings.

Note: The mod is balanced assuming that the human disbands his second starting settler. I usually use mine as a scout for several turns before disbanding it.

Unit updater and frenzy options:
If you want to use the unit updater and/or frenzy triggers from Cradle in the modpack, simply open up the MM2_script slc file, located in the
C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata folder, and remove the two "//" that out-comment the files.
Example:
// #include "MM2_SLC_unit_updater.slc"
to
#include "MM2_SLC_unit_updater.slc"

Thanks again to Martin for performing the extensive changes needed to convert the unit updater file for use in the Medpack.

Last edited by WesW; March 6, 2002 at 04:08.
Old March 6, 2002, 04:12   #2
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Here is the update zip.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 2.1texts.zip (402.9 KB, 157 views)
Old March 6, 2002, 10:33   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Wes,
I will post the file later today, I'm kinda busy right now.

BTW, do you want this thread topped and the v2.0 thread untopped or do you want to keep the current situation (or perhaps even something else entirely)?
Old March 6, 2002, 18:11   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

The file can now also be downloaded from here.

Wes, if you want to, you can also add files to that website yourself, I already created a subfolder 'Wes' for you. Ftp at ftp.250free.com (username: ctpmodmakers, password: bl00drun). Background and details can be found here (and to a lesser extend here).
Old March 7, 2002, 04:49   #5
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Thanks, Wouter.
The 2.0 thread needs to be un-topped, since the 2.0 readme is in the texts (all-but-stoney) part on my webpage, and the attachments in that thread are all either contained on the webpage or out-dated.

For those of you new to the Medpack, the 2.1 update is part 7 of the modpack, and needs to be installed after the other 6 parts, which are available at my Apolyton-hosted site, linked to through my title to the left. It does not matter in which order you install in the other six parts.
Old March 7, 2002, 11:48   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WesW
Note: The mod is balanced assuming that the human disbands his second starting settler. I usually use mine as a scout for several turns before disbanding it.
Let's compare the extra settler change in the DiffDB.txt's for each difficuilt settings in MedPack2 and ApolytonPack:

Code:
Extra settler change in ApolytonPack for each difficuilt setting
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		1000000
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		2500
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		1
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		1
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		1
Code:
Extra settler change in MedPack2 for each difficuilt setting
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		2500
EXTRA_SETTLER_CHANCE		2000
So if you don't want an extra settler for the human, why you don't lower the extra settler change for the human player in your DiffDB.txt like it was done in the APOL_diffDB.txt. I usually play on the fourth difficuilty setting and I never got with this setting in GoodMod for ApolytonPack an extra settler. Not if yoou want to give the AI extra settlers than you have to increase the number for the AI_START_UNITS tag, like in Apolyton where the AIs start with five settlers on impossible.

Quote:
Originally posted by WesW
Thanks again to Martin for performing the extensive changes needed to convert the unit updater file for use in the Medpack.
And I thought Cube converted it, I just downloaded the attachment here from the forum and sent it to you.

-Martin
Old March 7, 2002, 22:50   #7
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Now if you want to give the AI extra settlers than you have to increase the number for the AI_START_UNITS tag, like in Apolyton where the AIs start with five settlers on impossible.
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought those units were warriors or something. I thought that the settler chance applied to both the human and AI.

Quote:

And I thought Cube converted it, I just downloaded the attachment here from the forum and sent it to you.

-Martin
Sorry, my bad.
Old March 8, 2002, 00:54   #8
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 09:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ok, I unzipped all the files and they all went into folders within CTP2 directory as designated. But the modswapper still says 2.0, there seems to be no game pointer to the new files, since they are all in a folder called 2.1texts. Have I missed something?
Old March 8, 2002, 09:36   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
Ok, I unzipped all the files and they all went into folders within CTP2 directory as designated. But the modswapper still says 2.0, there seems to be no game pointer to the new files, since they are all in a folder called 2.1texts. Have I missed something?
From the *.zip file all the files went into folders like ..\2.1texts\.. so there aren't in the CTP2 folders. To fix this problem just move all subfolders of the ..\2.1texts\ folder to your CTP2 main folder. If you get a lot of overwriting messages than you placed the files in the correct folder.

By the way from a first look on the files it should be no problem to run GoodMod for MedPack2 v2.0 with these new files.

-Martin
Old March 8, 2002, 15:05   #10
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I am having some trouble with my winzip. I have the paths flag checked, but the files are not being put into the folders like they should be. All the files are just dumped into the Call to Power 2 folder, no folders or anything. I am using version 8.1. Any suggestions?
Has anybody else had problems extracting the mod?
Old March 9, 2002, 00:43   #11
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Error at 4000AD!
Started my first game. Right at the first turn, according to the science screen, if I research Stone Working, I'll get the ability to build undersea bases! The save file (zipped) is attached.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip canada.zip (100.4 KB, 7 views)
Old March 9, 2002, 01:57   #12
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

This error is part of Martin's work with the tile improvements code.
Martin, the undersea fort, right above the test tile improvement in tileimp.txt, is the problem. I don't know if this improvement works or not. If so, it needs to be enabled by the same tech which enables undersea colonies.
Old March 9, 2002, 10:08   #13
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
Started my first game. Right at the first turn, according to the science screen, if I research Stone Working, I'll get the ability to build undersea bases! The save file (zipped) is attached.
Enabling advance is Stone Working and obsolete advance is Stone Working as well, so you will never be able to build it. Of course you can go to the MM2_tileimp.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder, and replace this line in the TILEIMP_UNDERSEA_FORTIFICATIONS block:

EnableAdvance ADVANCE_STONE_WORKING

by this one:

EnableAdvance ADVANCE_NANO_ASSEMBLY

And delete this line:

ObsoleteAdvance ADVANCE_STONE_WORKING

So you can build this tile improvement afterwards you discovered the advance that allows you to build undersea tunnels, this tile improvemnt has the same effect as a land fort, but it cost as two land forts, and you won't find an GL entry until you remove the GLHidden tag in the block of this tile improvment, but also if you removed the GLHidden tag the entry in the Great Library is still empty, unfortunatly I have no idea if Wes included all the images for this tileimprovement otherwise you could be a little bit suprised by what you see on the map instead of the undersea base. If you installed GoodMod or Cradle than the improvment will look like an undersea base. If you don't like to have this tile improvement in than you should replace enable and obsoleta advance by the ADVANCE_SUBNEURAL_ADS.

-Martin
Old March 9, 2002, 21:51   #14
joseph1944

Just downloaded the file. Will install later. My wife said dinner or else.

Old March 10, 2002, 03:19   #15
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Unit updater update
I looked thru the unit updater slc, and there were a few updates missing. I also adjusted some of the update costs.
Attached Files:
File Type: slc mm2_slc_unit_updater.slc (19.0 KB, 48 views)
Old March 12, 2002, 12:32   #16
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 21:22
Thanks for the updates, WesW

These Mods keep getting better and better. . .
Old March 12, 2002, 23:23   #17
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Thanks, Leo. Btw, here is a diffdb with the new settings in it. If you have problems with the dl, email me thru the button above.

Also, I fixed my problem with my winzip. If anyone is having problems with things going into the correct subfolders, check the flag that says "Use folder names," which pops up when you click the Extract button.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt mm2_diffdb.txt (24.9 KB, 34 views)
Old March 31, 2002, 18:27   #18
Joshua123
Settler

Local Time: 16:22
HELP I HAVE TO KNOW WHY WHEN I TRY TO PLAY THE CRUSADE BETA ModSwapper Does not detec it
Old March 31, 2002, 18:51   #19
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua123
HELP I HAVE TO KNOW WHY WHEN I TRY TO PLAY THE CRUSADE BETA ModSwapper Does not detec it
I guess all the files of the mod aren't in the correct folders. So check if you can find a MM2_gamefile.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. If not it is somewhere on your harddrive. To solve this problem use a newer unzipper that can rebuild the parth structure or just enable the rebuild parth function in WinZip. To do this open WinZip than open from the program the zip archive that contains MedPack2 and extract all the files in the from the readme given folder. Now make shure that the rebuild parth function is enabled in the extract window, unfortunatly I use a German version of WinZip therefore I don't know how they called it in the English version, maybe it is called use parth or something like this.

-Martin
Old April 9, 2002, 20:05   #20
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

File update
Due to popular demand, here is a modified version of Wouter's slic file which switches the disband code so that it activates upon the discovery of an advance, rather than the game turn.
Now, Ancient age units are disbanded at the beginning of the fourth age with the discovery of Gunpowder, and the code then proceeds as usual, ending with Renaissance age units being disbanded upon the discovery of Cybernetics.
You will need to unzip the file into this folder:
C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\gamedata

Right-click, and save as "MM2_SLC_Wouter.zip". This has worked for me. Let me know if you have any problems.

Btw, I do not have access to my webpage, so I cannot update, remove or edit anything on it. Therefore, players need to check this thread whenever they notice it has been posted in. Sorry.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mm2_slc_wouter.zip (13.7 KB, 20 views)
Old April 9, 2002, 21:55   #21
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Speaking of gunpowder...
WesW,

Is it right that when I got gunpowder I also got a couple of free units in each city or is it a bug?

Also, how come pirate ships of the lower techs still seem to be able to enter at least the edge of deep water?

Finally, because of ZOC, I had a ship trapped by a pirate ship, it simply couldn't move and the pirate ship wasn't moving either. I tried attacking it and for some reason it wouldn't let me and in the end I simply disbanded it. I can't remember offhand what type of ship it was but don't they all have an attack value so why wouldn't it work?
Old April 11, 2002, 01:04   #22
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

The free units are Elite militia units, the Arquebusier and Bombard.
Also, the disband code kicks in with Flintlock, not Gunpowder as I said yesterday.
As for the pirates, we need Wouter to comment on that. If your ship is shallow water only, I don't think that it can attack a ship in deep water. I may be wrong, though.
Old April 11, 2002, 01:20   #23
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Both ships were in shallow water.
Old April 11, 2002, 06:50   #24
Locutus
Deity

Hey, don't look at me, I just created the code, I didn't change anything about the ships... The types of Pirate ships that are created are exactly the same types of ships that all other civs can build and I'm not doing anything special with those ships. Most of the Piracy code has to do with finding a location for creating pirates and with finding out what type of ship should be created. The actual creation of the units is exactly one line of code ("CreateUnit(0, type, tmpLoc, 0);"), not much that can go wrong there...

I know from personal playing experience that sometimes the graphics of the game can get screwed up, that units are in a different location that the graphics suggest. Maybe the ships appeared to be in a tile next to the one where they actually were? If so, the ship in deep-water really wasn't in deep water at all but right next to it, while the tile you tried to attack was empty but in the ZOC of the ship you were trying to attack and therefore impossible to enter? You can find out if such a graphic glitch is occuring out by moving the cursor over a tile and check with the status bar at the bottom of the control panel if there's actually a unit there. (Also, the Radar screen *is* always up-to-date, that can help too)

I suspect the main cause for this problem is lack of processing power/memory (since it seems to happen a lot more on the Alexander scenario than anywhere else - and noone else has complained so far). What kind of processor and how much memory does your PC have, Rusty Gamer?

Last edited by Locutus; April 11, 2002 at 07:27.
Old April 11, 2002, 07:09   #25
PDA-CIV
Chieftain

Hey , don't fight ! We (now) have a higher purpose !
Check out my new comment on :

CtP2-General/Help/Strategy/Multiplaying > HELP ! randomizing of the content in the Goody Huts/Ruins ...
Old April 11, 2002, 11:01   #26
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

I have a P3 450 with 256MB RAM and a 64MB GeForce 2 card. So I don't think performance is a problem.
Old April 11, 2002, 14:00   #27
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

I know from personal playing experience that sometimes the graphics of the game can get screwed up, that units are in a different location that the graphics suggest. Maybe the ships appeared to be in a tile next to the one where they actually were? If so, the ship in deep-water really wasn't in deep water at all but right next to it, while the tile you tried to attack was empty but in the ZOC of the ship you were trying to attack and therefore impossible to enter? You can find out if such a graphic glitch is occuring out by moving the cursor over a tile and check with the status bar at the bottom of the control panel if there's actually a unit there. (Also, the Radar screen *is* always up-to-date, that can help too)
This graphics problem appears also if you played for testing porpose as Barbarian leader and switche to another civ to view the AI results, sometimes it is very difficuilt to find an army, because it is displayed on the wrong location on the map.

-Martin

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; April 13, 2002 at 07:20.
Old April 12, 2002, 19:11   #28
Myrddin
Warlord

After downloading I get errors when I try to run CTP2:

Advance Subneural Ad not in Advance database

MOVIE_WONDER_MEDIEVAL_PACK_II not in Wondermovie database

MM2_SLC_Martin.slc not in asset database

plus a number of what look like slic syntax errors

Am I missing some files, or just some current versions?
Old April 12, 2002, 20:47   #29
exeter0
Warlord

Local Time: 07:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin
After downloading I get errors when I try to run CTP2:

Advance Subneural Ad not in Advance database

MOVIE_WONDER_MEDIEVAL_PACK_II not in Wondermovie database

MM2_SLC_Martin.slc not in asset database

plus a number of what look like slic syntax errors

Am I missing some files, or just some current versions?
Check the following:

- Change the line "DebugSlic" from "Yes" to "No" in your userprofile text. This file is found in the ctp2_program\ctp folder.

- Make sure you have the CTP2 official patch.

- Make sure that the 6 Medpack II source files were unzipped into the correct directory... you should extract to the ....\Activision\Call to power II\ directory.

Ex.
-------------------------------------
Old April 13, 2002, 08:34   #30
Myrddin
Warlord

All OK

I previously had MedMod II 1.1 working OK, but did not install 2.0 before trying 2.1 - is this likely to cause a problem?

The subneural ad problem I fixed by changing the advances file, but the others imply there is a bigger problem

Any suggestions welcome as I enjoyed Med Mod II previously and am looking forward to the latest version