Old March 6, 2002, 11:27   #1
kdunphy
Settler

Local Time: 21:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
ww79 Scenario: Middle East
I'm not sure how many people have played the ww79 scenario that came with gold, but I've tried it a few times usually as one of the major powers, mostly Russia. But since I'm starting to get a bit better at Civ2 I decided to try it as the Middle East, which start with no nukes(a huge disadvantage in this scenario, since the nukes are flying from the start)

Difficulty is Deity, and I'm trying to conquer everything at the earliest date, not neccesarily before the scenario ends. I know some scenarios were played and reported on Apolyton, but I don't think this was one, because the Paratrooper's range is reduced.

Second turn of the game I took Jerusalem and destroyed some American troops. Neutrals, Americans and West European declare war. Next turn, American nuked 4 of my cities, but was not able to take any of them. I'm working on building enough engineers to clean the pollution up and rebuild those cities.

I've stolen a ton of techs from Europe with spies. Russia is at war with West European and America(and China) so we are in a similar boat but my empire is smaller. Russia's nukes help me take Europe cities. But Russia will not join an alliance. (makes sense historically I guess)

The Americans offered me peace and I agreed. Things are looking better. I manage to steal Rocketry from the West Europeans, and have a large cash surplus so I rush buy some nukes.

So far, using my nukes and howitzers(I stole robotics from Europe too) and combined with Russia attacking Europe also, I am gaining several cities, although European howitzers are a threat to me. I've lost back a few cities to them. The europeans are split in two, because I've taken a whole strip of cities in the middle of their country. Also, the Neutrals have a city on the southern tip of Africa, trying to build some units to get down there and take it, otherwise they are not really in the game.

I should be able to finish off Europe soon, but it will take Naval power to do so, and then I plan on taking the rest of the Neutral Cities. After that, the only small empire left is the Indians. Whether I can conquer the world from that point depends on a lot of things. America just got SDI, so if I go to war with them, I need to steal it. Global warming is likely to mess with everyone's economy when it comes, but I only control a small part of the world, so not much I can do about it.
Old March 6, 2002, 20:17   #2
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 22:23
Some of us (namely at least Xin Yu, Dr Spike and myself) are supposed to be playing this scenario ww79 as the Indians NOW.
But we seem to have all been very busy elsewhere...
Personally I remember having conquered the Middle East and China, and then started playing Tournament games and GOTM, and almost forgot ww79.
Nice that you remind me. It will be fun to compare what you achieve as Middle East and what the best of us (most probably XinYu ) achieves with the Indians.
Old March 8, 2002, 20:23   #3
kdunphy
Settler

August 1983 Savegame
Make sure to put this savegame in the ww79 folder so it works right.

Pollution everywhere. I'm not the best player, but this scenario is always my favorite because of the amount of chaos in it.

West Europeans will be finished very soon, with both Russians and my country attacking them.

I'm using mainly Mech Infantry and Howitzers, plus a few nukes. Trying to build engineers to repair the damage from Global Warming
Attached Files:
File Type: sav test++.sav (164.2 KB, 0 views)
Old March 8, 2002, 22:28   #4
kdunphy
Settler

America just sneak attacked me. Even my mech infantry in a city on MOUNTAINS was defeated by howitzers. Sheesh! How do you guys win on deity if the odds are like that.

Likely I won't be able to win, they have SDI already. and I was focused on other enemies. They sure picked the right time to attack
Old March 9, 2002, 07:32   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Just a few words - I can't help much since I hate nukes and generally will do anything to avoid reaching that point -- but -- just because the US has SDI does not men that they have it in every city -- of course the three toed sloth can see your SDI once you start deploying it and you can't see theirs until your nuke bounces, but it is not possible for even the AI to rush SDI in each and every city it captures on a Howie-Powie run - so waste them while you still can ... also remember - you do not have to target a nuke at a city - sometimes they put convenient little units in forts just outside the SDI and IIRC your devastation spreads under the SDI!
Old March 9, 2002, 09:21   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 23:23
I don't prefer the WW79, because it's too easy to win as the Russians or Americans. The most annoying thing has to be the everlasting nuclear exchange. It cripples one's army so easily (especially the USSR can't build up rapidly any good troops for the invasion of the East Coast (that's the way I prefer to take over US, if playing as the Soviet), unless you have somehow managed to get The Laser and built SDI Defense in all your cities in east. Playing as the Middle East can be a bit humorous, because they really doesn't seem to have any chance against India and West Europe, unless they have an alliance. Perhaps the Gulf War scenario fits me a bit better...