Old March 6, 2002, 16:38   #1
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mod Creator's Please Read!
I don't create mods or anything but could someone tell me if there is a way to give a particular Civ a tile/terrain resource bonus. What I had in mind were the Inuit and Taureg and Polyponesians. Inuit gain +1 food from tundra, Taureg gain +1 food from desert, Polyponesians gain +1 food from jungle. I also had an idea for the Polyponesians being religious/expansionist, but instead of the ability to make scouts they start with Map Making and Ceremonial Burial. They would also have a Civ specific unit, the outrigger(0/0/1) with a capacity of 1 able to traverse sea squares.
Old March 6, 2002, 18:39   #2
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
I don't create mods or anything but could someone tell me if there is a way to give a particular Civ a tile/terrain resource bonus. What I had in mind were the Inuit and Taureg and Polyponesians. Inuit gain +1 food from tundra, Taureg gain +1 food from desert, Polyponesians gain +1 food from jungle.
about the closest way of doing this i could think of would be to start them off with a special tech that enables a resource for each of those squares, and then give that resource major bonuses since it wouldn't be on every square, and make the tech require intergrated defense so it would be hard to research

hope that helps somewhat
Old March 6, 2002, 18:49   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:24
Your way wouldn't work korn, as there could be no other resources then.
Old March 6, 2002, 18:54   #4
korn469
Emperor

Gramphos

are you sure? what i am talking about is this, give the Inuits a tech like Inuit Generic Tech 1 which has the prereq of intergrated defense, and that would enable the seal resource which is only found on tundra and it gives +whatever to food, it's not perfect because it would only appear in certain places but it's about the closest thing i could think of

and that wouldn't work? why couldn't you have other resources?
Old March 7, 2002, 06:37   #5
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:24
Korn: I think he means that there couldn't be any other resources on that tile. If you cover every desert and tundra with special food resources, there won't be any oil.

Steele
Old March 7, 2002, 06:42   #6
korn469
Emperor

steel i think you and gramphos are both misreading me,

for one thing i don't know how you would cover every single tile with a specific resource, and that's not what i'm saying i'm saying that maybe you could give one of the civs a civ specific resource that while not covering every tile would provide a bonus to that civ in the specified terrain that only one civ could use
Old March 7, 2002, 06:49   #7
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:24
I think I understand you now. Add a new resource, randomly placed like all the others, but only usable by a single civ.

Steele
Old March 7, 2002, 07:13   #8
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 22:24
If you give a free tech to a civ that has a prerequisite, don't you then have to discover all the prerequisites for the tech before that civ would get it (for free)?

F.E.: I give the Mongols a free tech, Horseback Riding. They don't get it from the start but have to discover the Wheel and warrior code first, and THEN get it?

Korn, I think it would be better to give Generic Inuit Tech 1 NO prerequisites and just set its AGE to None in the editor? 'Cus then the tech wouldn't be researchable, no?

Any comments?
Old March 7, 2002, 07:14   #9
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:24
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
Gramphos

are you sure? what i am talking about is this, give the Inuits a tech like Inuit Generic Tech 1 which has the prereq of intergrated defense, and that would enable the seal resource which is only found on tundra and it gives +whatever to food, it's not perfect because it would only appear in certain places but it's about the closest thing i could think of

and that wouldn't work? why couldn't you have other resources?
That would work
Old March 7, 2002, 07:56   #10
korn469
Emperor

hetairoi22

Quote:
Korn, I think it would be better to give Generic Inuit Tech 1 NO prerequisites and just set its AGE to None in the editor? 'Cus then the tech wouldn't be researchable, no?
hey if that works i like that solution better with one little thing, if you could set a tech to have a prereq of IntDef for example and it would work, this would keep the original civ from trading it around

now if both of our ideas would work (and i'm not sure about this) then the inuits could have the tech inuit survival skills, with a prereq of generic tech 0, both with an age set to none, however the inuits nor any of the other civs would have generic tech 0 nor could they research it, so the inuits wouldn't be able to trade their tech to any of the other civs