Old March 8, 2002, 14:12   #1
TheHobbit
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Neat idea for hapiness!
Unless it is implemented and I never noticed it I think it would be really cool to make people in citys attitude towards one civ reflect on another. For example, if one civilization has unhappy people in a city then if that city was captured the poeple would be more likely to become happy since they were liberated from their cruel past ruler. Also, if they were happy with the civilization they were at they would be a little more edgy at being forced over but mostly they would stay the same.

Its just a though so if you have anything to add why not, go ahead.
Old March 8, 2002, 14:32   #2
Zealot
King

Local Time: 22:28
Yeah, I agree that cities from a civ with less cultural points than yours should have less to none unhappy people in the newly conquered city!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old March 8, 2002, 14:49   #3
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
Old March 8, 2002, 16:08   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
At the very least the current system of inherited unhappiness has to go (you know, when you capture a city from the AI and everyone's unhappy due to whipping or drafting or both, which the AI did, not you). It would be great if you got a temporary happiness boost as a "liberator" of the oppressed. Sort of like the temporary boost you get under republic/demo (or does it happen under other governments too?) when you are attacked.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2002, 19:50   #5
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 21:28
Agreed, inherited unhappiness is riduculas (NO Zac, I'm NOT talking about the effects of war here) .

Who is Grog?? why does he want a tank??
Old March 8, 2002, 22:30   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree too.
If you didn't do the whipping or drafting, then you should get a liberator happiness "bonus" rather than the current system of being penalized.
Old March 9, 2002, 00:31   #7
Tuberski

Local Time: 16:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I agree too.
If you didn't do the whipping or drafting, then you should get a liberator happiness "bonus" rather than the current system of being penalized.
I am probably the only one I know that disagrees with this statement. After all, aren't YOU the cause of the drafting? If you were not approaching the city would they draft? I don't think so, I think that penalty should remain. Also any war weariness you inherit should stand because it is YOUR war that is causing it, in most cases anyway.

The whipping the populace to complete improvments penalty should be removed however.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 10, 2002, 02:28   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

On the inherited unhappiness, I think that you should get bonus happiness for liberating the city, but if you draft/whip the population then all of the bonus should go and all of the inherited unhappiness should return, since you're acting no better than the previous ruler. And personally I don't think drafting should be a seperate cause of unhapiness, but should accelerate war weariness instead (create it in the case of non-rep govts). For that matter I don't think it should cost pop any more than regular troop builds do.
Old March 10, 2002, 02:36   #9
Salvor
Apolyton University
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:28
There is one happiness benefit the people of the city get if you "liberate" them from an inferior civ. They become part of your trade network and gain the benefits of all of your luxuries. If they had a marketplace and you didn't destroy it, this can be pretty significant, enough to overcome the inherited whipping and drafting bit.

I also think Tuberski has a point. Hypothetically speaking, if my country (say, Russia for example) was invaded by another country (oh, say Germany), and my leader (let's call him Joe) drafted a bunch of folks and put everyone else into forced labor camps building weapons and such, I don't think I'd be all that happy about the Germans coming in, killing all my drafted friends and family, and occupying my home town.
Old March 10, 2002, 03:37   #10
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Well, if you make drafting part of war weariness, then that bit's covered. And if the Germans did the same as the Russians, then I don't imagine I'd be that happy either. But if being invaded by Germany meant going from Despotism to Democracy, I think I'd be pretty happy. And as for the point about it being your fault they did the whipping, what if it was a city that the enemy invaded and they did all the whipping when you tried to get it back?