Old March 13, 2002, 01:40   #91
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I, for one, am still puzzled at what we are being asked to support. We can imagine a whole lot of things, but if it involves anything like 100k+ troops, Bush will have to at least explain the plan and his rationale to the American people. This is even with 70%+ of the population supports Saddam's ouster. Until the case is laid out, how can we or the Brit backbenchers pass judgment on it?

Bush Sr. laid out a good partial case for prosecuting the Gulf War, leaving the rest unsaid but understood. The decision in hindsight seems like a good one. Let's see what Bush Jr. has to say.

In addition to violating the terms of the cease fire (which isn't at all sexy), there is this weapons of mass destruction argument. After thinking about it for a couple of months, it's one of those arguments that is much stronger than it appears at first blush--indeed, it is compelling. The world cannot allow weapons of mass destruction programs to go on unfettered, risking a further convergence of terrorism and WOMD. The insurance premiums are too freaking expensive.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 13, 2002, 01:56   #92
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:30
Dan,

The real problem with going after Iraq is simple. The arab world right now has got to be thinking they are targets. Palestine, India, Khasmir, Soon Iraq. The perception is a serouis problem. And Im more worried about them deluting themselves into thinking this is a USA vs Iraq. Too many palestinian's Iraq is certainly spoke of kindly. He was and probably still is the only one to stand up to Israel. I mean...that took alot of cajone's to launch SCUD's.

Anyway back to my point (im drifting:lol, its late) You dont want a USA vs Iraq scenario, that will serouisy INFLAME the palestinian sitation into absolute chaos. You are gonna piss them off. Not that they will be pissed off. But all it takes is a Scud or downed USA warplane and that basterd is a hero.

We need some sort of Coalition, if only it be with Ghana, Fiji and Kuwait. Fine, its a coalition.

And again, I also resay this. We know Saddam has Missiles capable of reaching Tel-aviv. No doubt, he most definetaly has WoD. If his power is threatened, he will use these things. And we are not all certain what he has left. We think he has some Anthrax left. Some VX, some Nerve Gas. Its all freakin deadly.
Old March 13, 2002, 02:08   #93
DanS
Deity

fg: What are you talking about? Our VP is on a trip where he is visiting 11 Arab countries for "frank" consultations. This is active diplomacy, not an avoidance of a US v. Iraq situation.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 13, 2002, 02:13   #94
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
fg: What are you talking about? Our VP is on a trip where he is visiting 11 Arab countries for "frank" consultations. This is active diplomacy, not an avoidance of a US v. Iraq situation.
Sorry, but i wonder how polite they will be and who will actually go with us. Jordan today, indictated it wouldnt.
Old March 13, 2002, 02:14   #95
faded glory
King

Its too late at night to post or think coherintly. Sorry.....
Old March 13, 2002, 02:16   #96
DanS
Deity

Don't you remember the Gulf War? Jordan is never going to go for it. And we never expected them to.
Old March 13, 2002, 05:28   #97
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:30
Uuuuh, jelousyyyyy.....
@ GP
Old March 13, 2002, 11:03   #98
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Hey, big guy. You could be exhibit A. You seem to spend a lot of time/effort worrying about this stuff. No hard feelings, dude.
Old March 13, 2002, 11:24   #99
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:30
GP: Yes I do, but definately not based on jelousy. It's just funny how much crap gets hyped as the megaduperbestthingie from the US. So a slightly contrarian approach is in order....

Funny thing is that when the Japan hype was in overdrive in the late 80s or even into the early 90s, I always had to put down Japan. Was more of a gut feeling back then, though....