Old March 10, 2002, 07:47   #31
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Why do leftists always resort to violence and insults?
Maybe because our countries are full so there is no room left for baldheads marching thru our streets? Or maybe would-be nazi's scare the s**t out of us? Or...
Old March 10, 2002, 08:03   #32
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 22:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Quote:
Why do leftists always resort to violence and insults?
Maybe because our countries are full so there is no room left for baldheads marching thru our streets? Or maybe would-be nazi's scare the s**t out of us? Or...

I knew that the VB was being demonized by the Dutch media, but not that it was this bad.
Old March 10, 2002, 09:33   #33
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 21:30
I'm not sure you can call them extreme-right just because of this one issue - I think they are a mix of left-wing populism and right-wing populism.

Anyway, I'm certainly not voting for them. The Netherlands are (is?) not full. There are still trees everywhere
That is, unless their election program turns out to be extremely sensible (they still don't have one AFAIK). But I doubt it.

BTW, the article said the current government is center-left. I would call it more center-center than center-left, and many people that I know would call it far-right (not that that's realistic).
Old March 10, 2002, 09:50   #34
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Look, Fortuyn may have shocked some people with the outcome of the municipal elections, but he won in Rotterdam, and as we all know, people in Rotterdam are stupid and complete bastards; so there isn't that much to worry about.
Old March 10, 2002, 10:18   #35
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

from the article:

Quote:
Islam, he says, is a "backward culture"
Actually, he called the Islam "achterlijk", which also means "retarded". When refering to "backward", people usually use "achtergebleven".

from this thread:

Quote:
Maybe we could ship both groups(Vlaams Blok & Leefbaar Nederland) to a little island (mururoa or so)
Pim Fortuyn was kicked out of LN. He started his own party, Lijst Pim Fortyun. He's still in Leefbaar Rotterdam though.

Quote:
same applies with that dutch guy. question: does he got any sits in the dutch parliement? answer?
Neither LN, not Pim's own party got any seats in Parliament cause this the first election they're in. Recent polls do give both parties somewhere between the 5 and 20 seats (out of 150).

Quote:
Yessirre! I sure am sad I live in America, where we are heartless uncaring people, who allow extreme right wing groups get over a third of the votes in major cities...
LN is centre-right for American standards (and Dutch as well). Pim Fortuyn is extreme-right for Dutch (and european) standards, but would be medium right in the US. Furthermore, Pim's liberal (him being pro gay, pro choice, etc) unlike American right wingers. Also, the Republican Party would be considered extreme right here probably.

Quote:
I see Mark's Non-mention of this charecter as support of him.
Hardly. Though some people I know are. I myself am going to vote on the Greens, and voted on a local (cente-left) party in local elections (my mom's in the party, and might get a seat in the city council).

The good thing about Pim is that he's stealing away votes from the VVD (liberal right wing free marketeers). This makes the chances of a cente-left coalition all that more likely. I'm hoping on a Labour+Greens+Christian Democrats coalition myself.

Quote:
as we all know, people in Rotterdam are stupid and complete bastards
Go Amsterdam!!

Quote:
I knew that the VB was being demonized by the Dutch media, but not that it was this bad.
VB are a bunch of Fascists. I live only 4 km from the border, and my sis is studying in Ghent and my cousin in Liege. They aren't demonised by the dutch media, they just are plain fascists.
Old March 10, 2002, 11:42   #36
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Zoppy:

Quote:
Look, Fortuyn may have shocked some people with the outcome of the municipal elections, but he won in Rotterdam, and as we all know, people in Rotterdam are stupid and complete bastards; so there isn't that much to worry about.
As we all know, people in the rest of the Netherlands are also stupid and complete bastards, so your conclusion does not follow.
(Yes, even in Amsterdam. Especially in Amsterdam :P )

Saint Marcus:

Quote:
Actually, he called the Islam "achterlijk", which also means "retarded". When refering to "backward", people usually use "achtergebleven".
But it seems obvious that he meant "backward" in this case.

Quote:
The good thing about Pim is that he's stealing away votes from the VVD (liberal right wing free marketeers). This makes the chances of a cente-left coalition all that more likely. I'm hoping on a Labour+Greens+Christian Democrats coalition myself.
I think anything would be better than that. Perhaps even Fortuijn.
As if Greens and Christian-democrats aren't bad enough separately on their own
Old March 10, 2002, 11:52   #37
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
I think anything would be better than that. Perhaps even Fortuijn.
As if Greens and Christian-democrats aren't bad enough separately on their own
CDA is inderdaad klote, maar er zijn weinig andere oplossingen. VVD+CDA+D66 is niet genoeg. Ook VVD+CDA+LN is niet genoeg. VVD+CDA+Fortuyn waarschijnlijk net, maar is wel een heel krappe meerderheid. Paars III heeft waarschijnlijk ook te weinig zetels. Alleen PvdA+CDA+D66 of PvdA+CDA+GL blijft over. Behalve als je een monstercoalitie wilt van PvdA+CDA+VVD, maar das al helemaal niets. En een 4 partijen coalitie is ook niet echt handig.
Old March 10, 2002, 12:24   #38
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Oogkloot
As we all know, people in the rest of the Netherlands are also stupid and complete bastards, so your conclusion does not follow.
(Yes, even in Amsterdam. Especially in Amsterdam :P )
I don't know what you're farking about, since Amsterdam Leeft didn't get any votes at all...
Old March 10, 2002, 16:23   #39
Drekkus
Settler

Zopper,

Fortuyn didn't run in Amsterdam, did he. So keep your insults to your self until after the may 15 elections.

About Fortuyn: he's appealling to the feelings of dissatisfaction among a lot of people. His position now is easy. He's new and all he does is point towards the current failures of todays politcians and say that he will do it better. A lot of nouveau riche business man jump on his bandwagon, because they want things done (and think that are enough foreigners already).

When he will be elected the problems will start, because he and his friends don't have the solutions either. After four years of failed policy, people will go back to their old parties, or lose interest in politics all together.
Old March 10, 2002, 16:55   #40
Faeelin
Chieftain

Wait. Because he's against Islamic immigrants, he's a fascist?

He has a valid point. They will throw their votes to the right, if they follow Americna voting trends of Muslims. Most of them vote Republican.
Old March 10, 2002, 17:04   #41
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Faeelin
Wait. Because he's against Islamic immigrants, he's a fascist?
Islamic immigrants?

Jesus
Old March 10, 2002, 17:06   #42
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drekkus
Zopper,

Fortuyn didn't run in Amsterdam, did he. So keep your insults to your self until after the may 15 elections.
Old March 10, 2002, 17:09   #43
Bereta_Eder
Settler

On the matter of immigrants and european right wing anti-immigrant movements growing..

isn't it true that 40% of the populatio of major dutch cities are immigrants?

also in Greece at least 1 million (in a population of just 11 million) are immigrants too (many illegal).

Now I have no sympathy for right wing but something must be done in order to curtail their strengthening.

A coherent immigration policy is the best way to deal with them.

Yes to humane conditions for immigrants, full respect of their rights but no to an anarchistic massive inflaw of immigrants (as is happening in Greece right now).

I wouldn't demonize extreme right wingers just think of ways to keep them down
Old March 10, 2002, 17:24   #44
Bereta_Eder
Settler

and about tha bold gay guy... he looks more pissed of because islam doesn't accept gays than anything else (like anyone would care what he thinks).

Also about Vlaams Blok, it's not just about immigrants, it's also about the strengthening of flemish nationalism... Isn't in their agenda to split Belgium in two? (Wallonia, Flanders)...

Aren't they particularly strong in Antwerp? And still their ratings have fallen down in comparison with the previous election IIRC?

Verhofstand (sp?) has tried to play it down... The same in Austria with Haider, it was in a specific canton he got his strength from...

In any case action must be taken so we don't have the racial fights that they have in Britain...

When unemployment is so high where are the youngsters going to turn but to those extreme right wing parties...

No mercy to them but also a coherent employement and immigration policy - you can't have a country with 10% and more unemployement and a pararel massive inflow of immigrants... that's a sure recipy for disaster...

And by the looks of it the creation of such a party in Greece is a matter of time too Worst, racism and xenophobia have to a large extend been incorporated as small fractions to the two major parties themselves...
Old March 10, 2002, 17:29   #45
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 17:30
Watching people from Rotterdam insult people from Amsterdam and vice-versa is a real hoot. Almost... cute...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 10, 2002, 17:49   #46
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
CDA is inderdaad klote, maar er zijn weinig andere oplossingen. VVD+CDA+D66 is niet genoeg. Ook VVD+CDA+LN is niet genoeg. VVD+CDA+Fortuyn waarschijnlijk net, maar is wel een heel krappe meerderheid. Paars III heeft waarschijnlijk ook te weinig zetels. Alleen PvdA+CDA+D66 of PvdA+CDA+GL blijft over. Behalve als je een monstercoalitie wilt van PvdA+CDA+VVD, maar das al helemaal niets. En een 4 partijen coalitie is ook niet echt handig.
Stem allemaal op mijn partij, de Nederlandse Kannibalenpartij: Eetbaar Nederland!
We eten de oppositie gewoon op
Old March 10, 2002, 18:00   #47
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Pim Fortuyn is no fascist nor is he a racist. He is mainly against the new "wave" of immigrants because he feels Holland is full and because it is a fact that most crime comes from immigrants. He doesn't want the immigrant guest workers out we dragged in ourselves in the past decades. In fact, in Rotterdam a lot of the people from Surinam voted for him. He's luckily only a moderate right-winger and has pointed out several times that he wants nothing to do with Filip Dewinter (Vlaams Blok).
That doesn't mean that I agree with what he says though. And he has a big mouth but hasn't given any solutions yet. I'm just hoping he has awoken the other politicians a bit.

And Assur, you're an ass. A while ago in "Man bijt hond" there was a nice report about the immigrants in Antwerp. Several people on the streets were asked to guess how many immigrants there really were. Most answers were ridiculously high, from 10% to 50% or so, while in reality the figures are more like 5-10%.
Vlaams Blok tries to appeal to the masses by claiming to solve all the problems by kicking out all immigrants, keeping others from entering, giving preference to "natives" etc.
This simply won't solve any problems, because these plans are generally only dealing with the symptoms. You have to accept we live in a multi-cultural society these days, and the keyword is integration. And that doesn't mean forcing immigrants right into society, forcing them to learn the language, adapt to the new culture etc. and it doesn't mean ignore immigrants either. The former is what right-wing parties advocate and the latter is what's been done for a long time now. Immigrants should be extensively helped and guided. Children should be taught in their native language while getting additional Dutch lessons and gradually phase into getting lessons in Dutch.
I think the multi-cultural society is really only a good thing. The only problem is that it mainly gets negative attention because of crime. And that's our fault, not theirs, because we pushed the immigrant workers in the deep when we first got them here. And now we have to take it like a man and deal with the consequences, not take the easy way out and blame it all on them.
Old March 10, 2002, 18:13   #48
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Verhofstand (sp?)
Noo VLD=> it's a blue rabit

Quote:
Also about Vlaams Blok, it's not just about immigrants, it's also about the strengthening of flemish nationalism... Isn't in their agenda to split Belgium in two? (Wallonia, Flanders)...
It rather looks like they would want a Dictatorship of somekind outlawing everything they aren't.(their program isn't pretty(although it looks that way on first sight)
Quote:
Aren't they particularly strong in Antwerp? And still their ratings have fallen down in comparison with the previous election IIRC?
Yep,don't think their ratings have fallen though(rather a status quo),really not good.

Quote:
In any case action must be taken so we don't have the racial fights that they have in Britain...
don't think that will happen so fast,VB is around for some years now and except beeing totaly rediculous...

Shade
Old March 10, 2002, 19:17   #49
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Watching people from Rotterdam insult people from Amsterdam and vice-versa is a real hoot. Almost... cute...

Kinda like New Yorkers and Los Angelenos.

Of course, L.A. didn't elect a fascist.
Old March 10, 2002, 19:28   #50
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Of course, L.A. didn't elect a fascist.
well, half the country voted for Bush in 2000. That's fascist enough.
Old March 10, 2002, 20:59   #51
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22

don't interfere with my trolling of Shi dammit
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Apparently paitkis needs to learn difference between "trolling" and "badly losing yet another argument". Trolling is when I drive you insane by defending the gallant actions of the human rights respecting Republic of Turkey against the evil Greeks. Badly losing arguments is what you do.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 10, 2002, 21:49   #52
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

well, half the country voted for Bush in 2000. That's fascist enough.
Don't recall Bush sitting down explaining why Islam is bad.
Old March 10, 2002, 23:17   #53
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
I recall him saying that books were "great" because they had such "great pictures".
Old March 10, 2002, 23:24   #54
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 15:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
I recall him saying that books were "great" because they had such "great pictures".
that makes him stupid

not fascist

Jon Miller
Old March 10, 2002, 23:29   #55
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
What if they were comic books?
Old March 10, 2002, 23:59   #56
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Isn't the Netherlands one of the European countries whose native population is actually in decline?

Let me get this straight: in the nation which legalized marijuana, the young, who presumably consume most of this legal marijuana, favor this racist politician? Now there's an arguement against legalization of dope.
Old March 11, 2002, 00:06   #57
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Apparently paitkis needs to learn difference between "trolling" and "badly losing yet another argument". Trolling is when I drive you insane by defending the gallant actions of the human rights respecting Republic of Turkey against the evil Greeks. Badly losing arguments is what you do.

AHAHAHA! You only tried it to do it once, you crushed and burned before my air superiority and then you never tried it again After that I have made a mission of trolling you in order to make you fight back and restore some kind of self confidence in you again
Old March 11, 2002, 00:09   #58
Faboba
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller

that makes him stupid

not fascist

Jon Miller
My point. Well made. The mans not fascist if doesn't even know what the word means, right?

Lonestar - No this was for a literacy campaign. I think it might have been 'Neat' rather than great. There was a list of good bush quotes in the herald after the pretzel incident. That one was my favourite.
Old March 11, 2002, 00:10   #59
Faboba
King

Pfff. When you're high your interest in politics extends so far as to find out what everyone you're talking to's political philosophy is and then tell them how great it is.

Fascism's like the opposite of being stoned...
Old March 11, 2002, 00:10   #60
Bereta_Eder
Settler

A person can very well be a fascist without knowing what it means. Knowledge of the definition is not a prerequisitive