Old January 8, 2001, 22:00   #31
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wow! The site looks pretty good.

Hey folks, I understand we want this game NOW but, PLEASE, let Firaxis take their time on this to create a good, QUALITY game. If you want to know the meaning of "disappointed", just visit the Call To Power II forums and read all the angry responses there.
Old January 8, 2001, 22:16   #32
Dom Pedro II
King

Personally, I'm not pleased with what I see... I see a lot of fluff, and very little evidence of real improvements. This smells of a second Civ: CtP disaster...
Old January 8, 2001, 22:34   #33
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Dom Pedro II: how can you say that? the site has just been put up. Wait till firaxis tells us more about the game before judging it. After all, the game is not even released yet and you are already slamming it?!

Personally, I expect civ3 to be fantastic!

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old January 8, 2001, 22:38   #34
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:41
WOOHOO! WOOHOO! SIMPLY AMAZING!
Old January 8, 2001, 22:46   #35
phoenixcager

You did a great job on the website, Dan! It definitely would make anyone want to see more of the game.

I was a bit lukewarm about the whole civ3 idea, but the website keeps the dream alive, and makes me sit in anticipation of a game that will be even greater than civ2 was.

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums

Old January 9, 2001, 00:13   #36
tniem
King

The site looks great. Looking forward to more.

Question stemming from the FAQ:

quote:

The publisher, Hasbro Interactive, makes decisions regarding ports to other platforms. Since this is a major release, you'll most likely see ports to other platforms, but there are no commitments yet. We'll keep you posted.

quote:

Who's publishing the game?
Hasbro Interactive will publish the game.

I thought Hasbro was no longer the publisher. Am I wrong or did Dan in all his haste make a mistake?

[This message has been edited by tniem (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old January 9, 2001, 00:31   #37
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
I can't wait... I'm sick of Activision's crap. Sid, rescue us!
Old January 9, 2001, 00:50   #38
jordanz19
Settler

I think that is the old FAQ that was there since early last year, I don't think its been changed
Old January 9, 2001, 02:17   #39
Frankcub
Chieftain

Nice to see!! I've been playing CivII non-stop again, just as if I were playing it for the first time. It's 1:00am and I have to be at work in five hours!! I guess I'll need to take a week off when CivIII arrives. The website has caused more "sick days" I fear!!
Old January 9, 2001, 02:28   #40
ContradictioN

On the Legacy page, with the screens of the first Civ, you can see the Aztecs land, I just wanted to say...I REMEMBER THAT MAP!! aww memories :*)

Infact, I think that land was a good one, because you could get your cities up to very powerful positions, anyone who got that land was sure to become a powerhouse!

Old January 9, 2001, 02:42   #41
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

It's nice to see things picking up speed, Dan, and I wish you success in dealing with the myriad challenges (um, headaches) awaiting you. The layout looks clean and effective.

Any plans for a forum?
Old January 9, 2001, 03:34   #42
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 01-08-2001 11:13 PM
I thought Hasbro was no longer the publisher.
the publisher is Hasbro Interactive, which was recenlty sold by Hasbro to Infogrames

Old January 9, 2001, 07:00   #43
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
I just woke up from sleep, tired, since I'm sick, and what do I see?? Civ3 website is open!!!! HUUURRAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Guess I'm going to be sick some days further....

------------------
Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Yes!!
birteaw@online.no
Old January 9, 2001, 07:33   #44
Depp
Prince

Im not sure what to say. Im not overly eager after this, but im not negative either. But CTP2 will do just fine for the moment...
Old January 9, 2001, 07:45   #45
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:41
But there was still very little information offered... basically the only thing of significance was the few unit graphics - which I don't think is that important compared against gameplay.

I guess I've got to wait until spring/summer, then...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old January 9, 2001, 09:44   #46
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
Simply great!!!

------------------
Civ2000
Old January 9, 2001, 11:21   #47
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Hope they will make ports though...
Old January 9, 2001, 12:43   #48
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by jordanz19 on 01-08-2001 11:50 PM
I think that is the old FAQ that was there since early last year, I don't think its been changed

We have added to the FAQ, and plan to continue adding to the FAQ. In cases like the Hasbro/Infogrames situation, there really isn't much to report right now, so we'll wait until there is to address that one.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old January 9, 2001, 14:26   #49
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 16:41
Glad PBEM is there, and wondered if direct null modem connecytion will still be an option.
Simultaneous movement?
Old January 9, 2001, 14:35   #50
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

*Imran's life is complete*

YAY! From the FAQ:

quote:

More powerful and intuitive customization tools.

quote:

Great nations can produce gifted leaders from history, each one capable of leading your civilization to martial glory. Whether helming an army on a distant battlefield or passing their personal experiences onto future generations of soldiers, these towering figures can single-handedly alter the course of history.

quote:

Increased technological finesse can be found in Civilization III's reworked Zone of Control rules. No longer can a Phalanx hold a vulnerable pass as effectively as a mechanized infantry regiment. The ability to intervene in surrounding terrain is now determined by mobility and ranged weaponry, rather than the universal privilege of being just any military unit.

quote:

In CivIII, ranged weapons such as catapults, artillery and battleships can bombard enemy fortifications such as city walls and fortresses. This allows for a general 'softening' of defenses, which provides a substantial bonus to direct-fire units.

*Imran dies from overexcitment*
Old January 9, 2001, 16:08   #51
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 01-09-2001 02:34 AMthe publisher is Hasbro Interactive, which was recenlty sold by Hasbro to Infogrames

Thanks for the clarification MarkG.

Old January 9, 2001, 21:55   #52
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I just fell over.

All I have to say is: Firaxis, good job at finally picking up some speed (Im not saying you havent, cause I dont know what youve been doing while we fans have been waiting). And another thing, I love the Abrams tank design, it looks realistic and great. So do the fighters (i.e. Mig 29 and F-15).
Old January 10, 2001, 01:32   #53
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Excellent job, indeed!!
After a quick visit, we can expect more and more in the weeks ahead.
Gotta give it to them tough... it was very nice to see that a "FAQ" section has been prepared. It is another proof that Firaxis cares about what their customers have to say.
I'll risk a prediction here...
CIV-III will sell at least double what Civ-2 (and the previous pioneering original) did over the years for one simple reason;
Not only is it the achievement of great-forward-thinking programming work but ALSO from a huge community's input of ideas.
All we need, now, is to see it on store shelves.
HURRY!

Old January 10, 2001, 05:24   #54
ContradictioN

Dan, I'm just wondering how often the site will be updated.

Like, how often do you think there will be screenshots? Or game info? Or any other news

Old January 10, 2001, 05:43   #55
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 01:41
While I'm quite glad to have something to look at and start the hype about a game I'm eagerly waiting for, I still have to be somewhat negative.

It seems to me like the Firaxis guys are spending way too much time on "eye candy". Nice animated units don't make a good RTS game. Smart AI does. Personally, I turn off most animations after just a couple games, as they quickly become very annoying and get in the way of the game itself.

I'm afraid of buying yet another great looking Civ clone, with the same crappy AI. I wish the developers spend at least as much time on the game engine as they do on the interface.

Firaxis, please remember this: what made Civ great was NOT it's looks. It's the game concept, and the AI.

Aredhran
Old January 10, 2001, 11:34   #56
The Mad Viking
King

quote:

Knights in a Western European Civ would be Samurai in an Asian Civ would be something equivalent in a native American Civ, etc....

Just give a little flavor to different civilizations.

Or, they could give each Civ a unique unit/tech. a la Ages of Empires (i.e. Janissaries, Tarkans, Mangudai, Huskarls, Cataphracts, etc.)

That would be awesome, and worth more to me than animated units. (Which are fun, but do get turned off after a couple of games.)

Well, I'm saving up for a new computer, and I guess I better get a rocket. Plus a weeks time off work, and a stockpile of pre-packaged food. I'm gonna lock myself in, put on the headphones, and disappear from this world.

What do we think- is pre Christmas 2001 a realistic possibility?

Old January 10, 2001, 12:40   #57
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by Aredhran on 01-10-2001 04:43 AM
While I'm quite glad to have something to look at and start the hype about a game I'm eagerly waiting for, I still have to be somewhat negative.

It seems to me like the Firaxis guys are spending way too much time on "eye candy". Nice animated units don't make a good RTS game. Smart AI does. Personally, I turn off most animations after just a couple games, as they quickly become very annoying and get in the way of the game itself.

I'm afraid of buying yet another great looking Civ clone, with the same crappy AI. I wish the developers spend at least as much time on the game engine as they do on the interface.

Firaxis, please remember this: what made Civ great was NOT it's looks. It's the game concept, and the AI.

Aredhran

A good point, and believe me, one I think the team is cognizant of. I personally don't believe that a good-looking game and a great-playing game are mutually exclusive, especially since we're talking about two different types of labor here: programmer / designers and artists.

Having incredibly skilled artists who can make the game look great doesn't mean that the designers can't design a fun game or that the programmers can't
make it happen, at least IMHO. My personal feelings are that this game is going to be both fun to play and great to look at.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old January 10, 2001, 12:43   #58
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:41
My sentiments exactly!
Old January 10, 2001, 14:46   #59
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 01-10-2001 10:34 AM

What obviously we all have been hearing is Q1 2002. I think that still may be too soon. I think realistically middle to late 2002.

Old January 10, 2001, 14:48   #60
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Viking on 01-10-2001 10:34 AM

What we all have been hearing is Q1 2002 release. Judging by track records that may be too soon. Probably middle to late 2002 with the only Christmas release chance being Christmas 2002.

Of course, I really don't know and hope that I am wrong.