Old March 10, 2002, 22:10   #1
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 16:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
So I'm The New President.....
Now what?

One of the neat things about this game is the overwhelming number of decisions which need to be made each turn. What scientific path do we take? How strong a military to maintain? Expansion mode? etc...

How detailed do we make the polls for these sorts of decisions.

Do I post a poll everytime we need to move a unit?

Do I post a poll concerning placement of workers in each city for utilizing resources?

It's my belief that build orders for each city should be voted on. Since we have 10 cities now, the build orders for each city will be different and the cities will be finishing at different times. Therefore, moves will now take a long time. We need to vote on build orders for New Castellon which just finished a Phalanx, so I can't finish this turn until a new poll is posted (which will be soon). Next turn, Ten Zuiden will finish it's Phalanx and will need new build orders. And so on. I'll be lucky to make 3-4 moves this week.

Vote early vote often!

Old March 10, 2002, 23:44   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:32
You should stop play once you reach a point at which a decision must be made that has not yet been polled.

The military advisor will get general orders for units - explore this way, tip that hut.

The science advisor will keep a research target toward which you must research. If you catch up in the game, wait for new orders.

Rush buying should be approved by the minister of trade. (did our first president do this? ) As should caravan commodities and destination cities.

City workers will be optimized by our city planner. Now that he will have the save game, he can poll for maximizing shields, arrows, or food for particular cities.

City build orders must be taken as a general build order list. The city planner does that, too. E.g. defender, settler, temple, defender, or some such. Exceptions should be polled, such as a wonder or non-ordered improvement. Don't stop every time a city is done with something, you'd poll between every single turn - and the game would last forever.

It will always be the case of the president having final judgement. If 5 barbarians appear next to a city, by all means just change production to a unit, no need to poll. If a city or two have no build orders, use your judgement. If it is good, you might be re-elected...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 11, 2002, 10:37   #3
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:32
Re: So I'm The New President.....
Quote:
Originally posted by MBloomIII
Now what?

One of the neat things about this game is the overwhelming number of decisions which need to be made each turn. What scientific path do we take? How strong a military to maintain? Expansion mode? etc...

How detailed do we make the polls for these sorts of decisions.

Do I post a poll everytime we need to move a unit?

Do I post a poll concerning placement of workers in each city for utilizing resources?
Acyually you don't.It's the job of the cabinet to do such things.
Every 5 turns you are supposed to send them the save so they can make up the polls(1 or 2 days) and then send their orders back to you.then you play the next 5 turns and so on...
Who does wich job is described by Marquis here above.

If there are special events like barb uprising then you could take special action to prevent them from doing any damage.

If all these jobs were to be done by the President there would be no need for a cabinet,wouldn't it.

Shade

Last edited by shade; March 11, 2002 at 10:45.