Old March 10, 2002, 23:15   #1
spicytimothy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Parallelism
Something very interesting jsut happened in my latest game...

I was playing as the English. And China is one of my opponents. at around 1900s, I named a new city Hong Kong far away from the home island and guess what: it was culturally flipped to China! What a coincidence!

did n e one experienced n e parallelism btw the game and the real world accidentally too??

Last edited by spicytimothy; March 10, 2002 at 23:29.
Old March 11, 2002, 00:52   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:32
I had one as well in my last game. I was playing the Americans, and I somehow managed to became a democracy in 1776. Talk about timing!
Old March 11, 2002, 01:33   #3
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:32
For your information, Hong Kong was orginally Chinese and was "leased" to British control after the Opium Wars. So there is no "parallelism" between what happened in your game and in history.
Old March 11, 2002, 02:20   #4
spicytimothy
Chieftain

o yeah!
o for YOUR information, I'M from HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA and i know damn well that the ~1024sq.km area was originally owned by the Chinese

and for YOUR information, Hong Kong was NOT leased, it was CEASED as part of the 1st Nanking Treaty of the 1st Opium War. Only the New Territories of Hong Kong and some accompanying islands were leased.

and if you STILL can't see it, the parallelism is that Hong Kong is turned over from the British to the Chinese

Thank you.
Old March 11, 2002, 02:59   #5
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 16:32
Your tone betrays adolesence, and your profile indicates a birth date of 1984. Additionally, your understanding of the word "parallel" is wrong. Had that city been originally Chinese and then came under British rule, only to revert back to China later, could a parallel be observed between the game and history. In other words, a parallel only exists between A and B only if they are similar in one dimension and different in a other. In our example, the distinction between the game and history supplies the different dimension. The historical dimension, however, does not mach either. Therefore what we have here is not a parallel but a vague similarity.

And keep in mind that adding "-ism" at the end of a word does not create social, political or cultural movements out of it.

Your imagination, as does your willingness to research a subject, deserves praise. Well done.
Old March 11, 2002, 03:17   #6
spicytimothy
Chieftain

o i don't need to "research" Altuar, bcoz this is about something i know and my origin. and I really appreciate u coming back to the thread and reply.

when I said parallelism, all i'm trying to say is that a city of mine called Hong Kong is flipped to China from England. I didn't mention the fact that in the real world, Hong Kong was originally a part of Qing Dynasty for the EXACT REASON that it won't make it parallel n e more. looking at the whole picture is good, but sometimes we need to focus on a small part. afterall, I'm just trying to be happy and to c if someone playing Civ3 has the same experiences with me...

BTW, I AM 18. on the opposite, u don't seem to be very mature... but that's alright... we're all Civ3 fans here...

respect
Old March 11, 2002, 06:24   #7
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 12:32
Spicytim: You have a good point. "Parrellelism" is a good description for what apparently happened in your game.

Altuar: Stop nit-picking. Who gives a sh1t if he is 18 or not? How old are you? The fact that he built this city instead of capturing it from the Chinese does not really matter. What matters is that it flipped from England to China, similiarly to Hong Kong's transition from the UK to the PRC.

Steele