Old January 14, 2001, 02:20   #1
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Trade
With all the trade contreversy crap, I think that cities automatically trade their goods for the highest bidder and buy stuff that are lowest price (common sense, doesn't require some damn king to tell what people to do). My earlier idea of city zoning has something to do with this. Factories that are not controlled by you and don't work on government projects produce private goods such as clothes, diamonds, furs (should change over time to oil and uranium stuff like that). Cities should have random "wants", but the world should be pretty balanced (leave that to the programmers). Depressions are now possible and random events and cause wants to decrease. You can also limit trade to civilization as punishment during diplomacy (remember, goods that come in mean trade, trade means $$$, beakers, and goblets).
Old January 14, 2001, 02:32   #2
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'll organize my thoughts into one huge organized essay later. Sorry for messiness, but when you get great ideas, get them down before you forget =).
Old January 14, 2001, 12:07   #3
young newbie forever
Settler

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
good idea but might to much micromanagement. though i love micromanagement.

i had posted about this earlyer on the same topic but it dissapeared so ill post it again here

ok, when country A has a massive abundence of iron then it produces, say, legions faster and stronger than country B, however B has a massive supply of buffallo and his cities are huge and growing. meanwhile A is at war with C. C has the market cornered in lumber and is building ships and cattapults fast and in massive strength. however his citys are week considering people cant eat wood. so he sends out an explorer ship (caravel) with a settler in it far away he finds great farm land and begins to farm it using his settler he builds 3 big farms far away from any of his citys then has the settler settle down on them and start producing fodd and that gets spread outr evenly thrughout his cities. Now A's people are in worse shape considering that you get even less food from iron so he checks the market and wow! B is selling alot of buffalo so A offers some iron for it and bam his economy strengthens and he is very strong but a little later C finds uranium and builds a super nuke and flatens B. A starves half to death and is deffeated by the mighty Americans, oops I meen C .

however its probably to late to have suggestions like this considering the website says they already have a playable demo but sid did say somthing about trade in a statement to us \

im sorry man (women?) but I dissagree with the idea of people having to sell there own goods it just dosn't fit right in a game were you are suppose to have complete control. And I stress the word GAME. NOT REALITY SIMULATION, GAME!!!!
Old January 14, 2001, 21:00   #4
New Yorker
Chieftain

Dudes, AzNtoccata(man you couldn't pick a shorter name) is right about people just trading but something similar to SMAC, where trading between nations would be represented as commerce but this kind of commerce would just between minor companies & krap like that

the second type of trading i had in mind are those massive trade routes, trade routes like the Silk Road, these massive trade routes would be shown like in CTP 2 & you can pirate these major routes

to me there should be another two types of something, goods. basically raw goods like that has been traded throughout all the civ games & a new one, industrial goods, these are only produced in nations with specialized industies(you know there was indusries before the industrial revolution). these specialized industies would get a huge boost from the industrial revolution & therefore in turn a huge boost in profits from these industrial goods

i know i went off the topic a bit but what the heck, gotta to express yourself

-----------------------------------
in New York, the rats out numbered people 9 to 1,& you thought you got pest problems?
[This message has been edited by New Yorker (edited January 14, 2001).]
Old January 15, 2001, 01:50   #5
Dom Pedro II
King

I agree with young newbie's post. This has been the kind of system I've been stressing, but if I can't get it I want the next best thing....
Old January 15, 2001, 19:32   #6
markusf
King

Imperialism 2 has a great trade model.
Gold and gems contribute directly to your treasury at the end of the turn. To build a ship you must collect lumber, saw it, get iron and coal, and make steal, then 4 lumber and 5 coal will make you a ship. At any point in time lumber coal and iron etc can be sold on the open market to any other civ at a price you set. This would allow you to corner the world market in 'oil' for instance...