View Poll Results: What will it be?
Military Unit 7 38.89%
Non-Combat Unit 8 44.44%
City Improvement 2 11.11%
Wonder of the World 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11, 2002, 16:22   #1
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Build Orders for New Castellon
Since there are over 16 options to build, it is decreed that there is firstly to be a little pre-poll to decide, from which category will we decide to build on.

Details on the state of New Castellon; http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...125#post801306

Categories:
Military Units (Phalanx, Warriors, Triremes etc.)
Non-Combat Units (Settlers, Explorers, Caravans, Diplomats etc.)
City Improvements
Wonders of the World

Last edited by Kassiopeia; March 11, 2002 at 18:39.
Old March 11, 2002, 17:13   #2
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm thinking Military Unit because of New Castellon's closeness to a hostile Bombay.
Old March 11, 2002, 18:28   #3
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:34
I think you forgot the most important NON-combat unitIPLO
(or if you call that a combat unit add one vote to combat and remove one from non-combat)

==>We have 2 defencive units(they will do for now)=>build a diplo for counterespionage/bribery of enemy units that come to close,...

Shade
Old March 11, 2002, 18:36   #4
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
I think you forgot the most important NON-combat unit: DIPLO
(or if you call that a combat unit add one vote to combat and remove one from non-combat)
My listings were only examples. Vote for non-combat; if it wins, then you can vote later for a diplomat.
Old March 11, 2002, 18:54   #5
shade
King

I know,but it is the only 'NON-combat' unit that is used in battle,so I wasn't completely sure.
(thx for the update )

Shade
Old March 11, 2002, 19:17   #6
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

but in that city we still need more military units, is a military base rather than a city
Old March 11, 2002, 23:05   #7
Matticus
Chieftain

Gotta be non-combat
A diplo built right here would be real nice so that we can get an embassy, then after that a settler could do wonders to make our city pretty with roads and the such. As well as fortifications for any war that could erupt for some strange reason in the area.
Old March 12, 2002, 05:50   #8
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:34
Need to defend is the most important at this time!
Old March 12, 2002, 07:10   #9
Zealot
King

Why the hell do we need a third military unit?
We're at peace, and we don't need more units!
With that positioning, what New Castellon needs is a nice settler to make several roads, and irrigate that bull! NChas a great growth potetial! Make it big, then make some more defenders. Until then 2 (!) units is enough! I mean, with what will the Indians attack us eventually? Do they ahve anything other than Warrior and Phalanx? Archer, maybe?

Non-military for NC!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old March 12, 2002, 09:49   #10
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

I fear that early proponents of diplo may have voted in the combat unit category. If combat unit wins, please include diplo in the choices, kasseopeia.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 12, 2002, 09:54   #11
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
I fear that early proponents of diplo may have voted in the combat unit category. If combat unit wins, please include diplo in the choices, kasseopeia.
like this idea==> it could be seen as one of the strongest units we have(in combo with money),he can defend against any strength type of unit (and make them join us=> we don't need to build our troop just buy them )

Shade
Old March 12, 2002, 10:22   #12
Zealot
King

That's BS! In Civ 2, any unit that doesn't have any attack point can't be considered a Military Unit!

This game is starting to be rigged!
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old March 12, 2002, 10:31   #13
shade
King

*brings Valium *
relax...we'll see what happens eventually(looks like the units are in a draw at the moment)
Diplo's aren't millitary units (so they belong in the NON-combat section) But some of use spies/diplo's as vast attackforces(bribing and damaging everything in their path,wich could make them be considered as military units,kinda ambiguous)

Shade(relaxing )
Old March 12, 2002, 10:47   #14
Zealot
King

Quote:
Gotcha!

Quote:
*brings Valium *
No use dude! I'm so screwed up that only Prozac gets to me.

Quote:
relax...we'll see what happens eventually(looks like the units are in a draw at the moment)
Diplo's aren't millitary units (so they belong in the NON-combat section) But some of use spies/diplo's as vast attackforces(bribing and damaging everything in their path,wich could make them be considered as military units,kinda ambiguous)

Shade(relaxing )
Can I have some of that?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bébé&chamon.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	11309  
Old March 12, 2002, 14:12   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:34
I just suggested in another thread that you, as minister, should exercise your authority to make a short list of options for a city. That is, don't poll all 16 options - decide what are the most important, and let the masses decide from them. You are the minister, after all, not just a pollster...

(kassiopeia telling the public what it wants and why)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 12, 2002, 15:50   #16
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

if the poll is a tie kassiopea has the right to decide which option is the ones that wins

we made a poll in the begining for that
Old March 13, 2002, 00:24   #17
Matticus
Chieftain

Gotta be Diplomats
I think New Castellon needs to build a diplomat. A new poll between diplo, settler, our best defensive unit, and whatever his ministerness wants for a final poll. This way we avoid any confusion.

edit: anyway, we don't have the 50% there that we agreed on was needed for a decision.
Old March 13, 2002, 05:28   #18
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Non-combat. Even 2. Settler first, then diplomat.
Old March 13, 2002, 12:21   #19
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
I just suggested in another thread that you, as minister, should exercise your authority to make a short list of options for a city. That is, don't poll all 16 options - decide what are the most important, and let the masses decide from them. You are the minister, after all, not just a pollster...

(kassiopeia telling the public what it wants and why)
Sorry, was away for some time. Of course, my job is to monitor only the guidelines, and all well I could from now on just do a poll like this and then decide what to do, in conjunction with the Military Advisor (mil. units), the Exp Minister, the Trade Minister etc.

If Military unit wins, I'll also consider a Diplomat. We will see.

Quote:
That's BS! In Civ 2, any unit that doesn't have any attack point can't be considered a Military Unit!
My point exactly, that is why the Trireme is a Military Unit. All of you, consider this as a "first-case-scenario". This way, is the way that will be used from now on!
Old March 13, 2002, 12:42   #20
Zealot
King

When will this poll close anyway?
Old March 13, 2002, 13:01   #21
Kassiopeia
Emperor

In 1.5 hours.
Old March 13, 2002, 14:36   #22
Zealot
King

Close it! Close it!
Non-military won with 8 votes!
Old March 13, 2002, 18:51   #23
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Looks like a poll with the NC units then? An explorer, a settler, a diplo and a caravan... Could have our best def. unit, in this case phalanx/legion/archer as options also.
Old March 14, 2002, 06:24   #24
Zealot
King

How can you possibly do that, Kassio?!?
How can you include ANY kind of military unit in that poll, attacker or defender?

Sheesh!
Old March 14, 2002, 06:32   #25
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

How can you possibly do that, Kassio?!?
How can you include ANY kind of military unit in that poll, attacker or defender?

Sheesh!
Excuse me, but I did excercise my liberty to use a judgement call here. Besides, the Diplomat is clearly going to win.

If you want to do my job, then feel free to nominate yourself in the next election.
Old March 14, 2002, 06:59   #26
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Excuse me, but I did excercise my liberty to use a judgement call here.
What judgement call? Where? Who are you trying to fool? You were the first to include Phalanxes as a military unit!
Quote:
Categories:
Military Units (Phalanx, Warriors, Triremes etc.)
Non-Combat Units (Settlers, Explorers, Caravans, Diplomats etc.)
City Improvements
Wonders of the World
And then, after the poll being closed, and despite the N-M unit vote have won, you still have the nerve to include the phalanx and other military units in the poll!
Quote:
Looks like a poll with the NC units then? An explorer, a settler, a diplo and a caravan... Could have our best def. unit, in this case phalanx/legion/archer as options also.
Again, I ask you: Who are you trying to fool? This is not the USA! We will not accept a military lobby!
And you even agreed that even a Trireme is a military unit! And an archer or a phalanx are not?

Quote:
Besides, the Diplomat is clearly going to win.
Yeah, try to disguise it! Well someone did vote for an archer, a 3/2/1 unit! I don't care who did it! It's just that this time, it shouldn't be there!

Quote:
If you want to do my job, then feel free to nominate yourself in the next election.
I don't like to be considered as a stupid person.
You try to insert a lobby in this game, and I'll expose it!
Old March 14, 2002, 08:45   #27
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

We will not accept a military lobby!
I agree no military lobby without me knowing about it

Shade (go diplo go...)
Old March 14, 2002, 08:50   #28
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Now THIS is democracy in action!

kass is right -- If the ministers do nothing but blindly follow inconclusive polls, we're likely in for a rough ride.

Why get so exercised over this, Zealot? After all, our beloved city plannier can recommend whatever he sees fit to President BloomIII (whio is Actually Playing The Game) no matter what the next poll reveals.

Besides, IIRC, no poll category got 50 percent.

**(notes impressive gains in combatants' post counts, waits for press conference announcing Zealot's new career in politics )

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 14, 2002, 09:03   #29
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:34
Quote:

Now THIS is democracy in action!

kass is right -- If the ministers do nothing but blindly follow inconclusive polls, we're likely in for a rough ride.

Why get so exercised over this, Zealot? After all, our beloved city plannier can recommend whatever he sees fit to President BloomIII (whio is Actually Playing The Game) no matter what the next poll reveals.

**(notes impressive gains in combatants' post counts, waits for press conference announcing Zealot's new career in politics )
I agree with -Jrabbit! You as cabinet members should if necessary, (your decision) to go for be of flexible!
Old March 14, 2002, 09:11   #30
Zealot
King

Quote:
Huh, excuse me, but what is inconclusive about this poll? N-M units won, so the next poll will only include N-M units!
What-is-so-hard-to-under-stand?

Quote:
If he is allowed to do that, then I'm out of here. But please, don't call it a Democracy game. Call it an Oligarchy.

Quote:
What rule is this? I don't remember seeing it before!
So you mean that a relative majority is no longer valid, only absolute majorities? I don't consider this to be very democratic... For example, the portuguese government doesn't have absolute majority in the parliament, and is really likely not to have on the next elections. Still, if the majority of the deputies vote on a specific topic, that topic is approved, wether it has or not more than 50% of votes!
Now this is democracy.

Quote: