Old March 11, 2002, 17:02   #1
bardun
Settler

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Strategic question..
Ok, trading is all well and good, however, you don't want to make the other Civs being able to create the same as your best military/city imprvmts...

When I need money, I will trade with other civ's (mostly luxuries). Very rarely do I trade strategic resources (only when I know the can only create something of less damaging effect than I). Iron is GREAT to trade. They pay lots of $$ for it. With regards to science, I will not trade it if it will bring them in a new era, or give them a chance of building a wonder I am currently building until I am sure I will build it before them. Don't just go and trade anything without thinking what they will get from it. Also, I NEVER trade maps until I have checked out everything else. I usually will only buy terriotory maps from other Civs.

A GREAT way of making sure you won't have to buy maps is to build The Great Lighthouse. That way, your Galleys will have 4 turns, and you they won't sink! That is by far my most important advancement and gave me a HUGE edge in front of everyone else.

A good way of getting lots of cash is this: For one turn (when you are ammountig around 1k gold/turn or so, or even earlier on), if you are leading the tech race, put Research to 0%, then, the next turn, put it up to the usual 50-70% (it doesn't seem to matter where you put them..the quickest I get a new tech is at 4 turns anyway). Doing this will get you a LOT of money for that one turn to hurry production and stuff (really good if you're at war and you NEED those infantry finished in several cities). Do this as you need later in the game too.

Anyway, that's some of my thoughts.

Bardun
Old March 13, 2002, 13:28   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 16:34
Re: Strategic question..
Quote:
Originally posted by bardun
I NEVER trade maps until I have checked out everything else. I usually will only buy terriotory maps from other Civs.
I usualy just buy maps from other civs every ten turns or so. I never give away my maps, not even in modern age. I let everyone else do the searching while I do the settler planting.

On a side note, I general play as the Romans all the time. And one of my favorite statagies is to get Germany on my side. Every now and then I check on Germany's status in the world rank, if she is doing very poorly, I tend to give Bismark some free tech and money. I keep doing this until the Germans have Tank Tech, then I sign an MPP, and goto to war with someone else. Their Panzers make a big difference in my games. A good ally. If you're lucky, he'll give YOU some free tech.
Old March 13, 2002, 15:54   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 16:34
Re: Re: Strategic question..
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

On a side note, I general play as the Romans all the time. And one of my favorite statagies is to get Germany on my side
If you could get Japan on your side as well then you would have the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo axis!
Old March 13, 2002, 17:05   #4
bardun
Settler

Babylon...
I don't know. The other Civs change side so quickly that I don't rely on any allies from now on. I am playing Babylon now (like it a lot), and it's my first good game on Civ 3 (my fourth try). I am the winning nation, by far the most powerful one and best culture, however, people keep trying to threaten me (I never give them anything). You guys got any hints as to what diplomatic agreements to enter into? I did it all (embargo, alliance, mpp, war, peace, etc.), and nothing really worked the way I wanted to for a long period of time...

Anyway, I am strictly against trading away advances and strat. resources, just for the fact that the other nations need it, and I have it, which means I have an advantage... I'd rather turn research to 0% one turn and make money that way...
Old March 13, 2002, 18:23   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
Bardun,

Other civs will demand things of you, and maybe attack you, if you have stuff they don't have, and you don't trade it. The best way to prevent an AI attack, I have found, is to trade them luxuries for whatever they offer. In other words, ask "what would you give for wines" and accept whatever the deal is. Do that once per civ, and then start haggling once relations are good & stable. The first quick deal (which often results in a world map and 10 gold for a luxury) will usually push relations to "polite." If it doesn't... you have yourself a potential enemy, so start arming yourself.

Stay the hell away from MPPs!! Unless, of course, you are planning a war of conquest and you want to suck in half the world on your side. That's different. But signing MPPs with AI's without a specific goal is not a good idea. Normally, they want an MPP because they are about to do something monumentally stupid, like trigger a world war.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 13, 2002, 22:29   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:34
You might as well sell your map. AI civs swap maps all game long, they will gain less from yours than you will from theirs. The AI likes maps.

You can't research faster than a tech/4 turns. Adjust your tax accordingly for extra gold.

As for the AI gaining an advantage by you selling a tech, it also has advantages for you. The AI coughing up gold per turn forces it to lower science rate - several deals piled up add up to stunted AI research. Because it adds to your income, you can raise your science rate. Tech sales can keep you in good standing, as well. When the AI discovers something you need, you have the(ir) gold to buy it.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 13, 2002, 23:51   #7
bardun
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Stay the hell away from MPPs!! Unless, of course, you are planning a war of conquest and you want to suck in half the world on your side. That's different. But signing MPPs with AI's without a specific goal is not a good idea. Normally, they want an MPP because they are about to do something monumentally stupid, like trigger a world war.

-Arrian
Hehe..that was a good answer! I like that quote "monumentally stupid". As a matter of fact, it just happened again (those damned treaties last for 20 turns, and I forget about them..). I had just invaded persia (like I said I would), and was doing really well, until I decided I need a little break to re-group and rethink my strategy. Then, after one turn of peace and joy, those damned egyptians declared war on Persia, and, of course, I had a mpp with them (egypt)... So, I said %(^** it (am I allowed to cuss in here btw??), and decided to just take all of Persia right away without regrouping. It's so much more fun though to have war I think.

I agree that sometimes nations will demand stuff from you, but in this game it hasn't mattered to me: I use that map with 4-5 BIG islands (forget what it's called), I had lighthouse and boats first (they couldn't do crap to me until like 1500's or so I think). And I have been by far the strongest nation during the whole game.

Anyway, do you guys think it's best to bomb the city or the surrounding area? I kinda like going for the city (fun with 15 artilleries and then 8 tanks).

I must learn, cuz next game I will play regent (wow..!!). What's the biggest difference with regent and warlord (apart from warlord being relatively easy)?

Bardun