Old January 11, 2001, 12:52   #1
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Three wishes
They are only little ones.

1. Cities trading in commodities which have some relationship with their terrain or infrastructure.

2. If there are goody huts, a random scatter.

3. Expanded prospecting. I love digging up a special. But the current indication as to where it might lie is crude in the extreme.
Old January 14, 2001, 11:26   #2
JosefGiven
Warlord

These are a realistically modest suggetions, 'Trader. If any critisms could be levelled at Apolyton forum writers (myself included), it is that we come up with a lot of crazy ideas that Firaxis have no chance of fitting into Civ III...

Ok, about your suggestions:

1. For more ideas on city specific trade ideas, look at the post 'Trade Model Ideas', which is written on this page by Cannes.

2. Yes, why not scatter the goody huts more randomly? And also the seeds for the special resource squares...

3. I don't quite understand this point...Is it a SMAC feature?

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com
Old January 17, 2001, 11:13   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

Thanks for the steer to Cannes' thread. Interesting stuff.

Trade seems to crop up in quite a few games and there are more or less complex systems. It was far and away the best part of Colonization.

I rather like the very simple trading arrangements in Civ2. They work well with the equally simple research, city developement and warfare arrangements. Each aspect of the game requires a similar amount of time and attention.

So I hope that Civ 3 doesn't go in for a disproportionately complex trading set up.

Prospecting is a (limited) Civ2 feature. I expect you are aware of the pattern to the way specials are distributed. Sometimes you see a complete pattern with all four specials in view and neatly arranged around the central square. But more often only three specials are in view. If the fourth square is a land square (and particularly if it is a plains or grassland square) and you set a settler/engineer to mine it, the missing special will appear. I seem usually to get silk (one of my favourites) although, once the special has been exposed you can tranform it in the usual way if you like.

I believe that you may also be able to expose a special on such a square (hills perhaps) by terraforming as well - altho' I am usually too impatient to bother with terraforming so that is hearsay not experience.

By the way, I love the look of the new, animated units on the Civ3 site. Can't wait for the game to get issued. Although if it is really good and consigns Civ2 to history that will be just a little sad. I seem to remember I played a game of Civ1 a while back just for the nostalgia.