Old March 13, 2002, 11:36   #1
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bombard formula?
Does anyone know the formula for the "Bombard" equation?

If you have Bombard str: 1, and Rate of Fire: 3

When you bombard does the game calculate if you hit three times and thus do 1 or 2 or 3 points of damage? Or just calculate if you hit once and you do 3 points of damage, or none?

BTW:This guy creeps me out =
Old March 13, 2002, 14:18   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:41
It must calculate for each fire. I've had RoF=2 units hit with one, miss with the other. But it is nice when both land on target.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 13, 2002, 15:06   #3
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 18:41
if not ModAplied then
begin
Bombard := 'waste of time';
action := 'Build "real" units';
Result := 'Cities in pieces';
end;
Old March 13, 2002, 17:10   #4
ahenobarb
Prince

So from Marquis de Sodaq it appears that the RoF relates to the number of attempts during a single shot.

Now what determines the accuracy of the "bombard"? It can't be the attack value since these units don't have one. Is the game giving the accuracy or chance to hit that a catapult has to artillery? If so, is there a way to make the "bombard" more or less accurate?
Old March 13, 2002, 19:00   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
So from Marquis de Sodaq it appears that the RoF relates to the number of attempts during a single shot.

Now what determines the accuracy of the "bombard"? It can't be the attack value since these units don't have one. Is the game giving the accuracy or chance to hit that a catapult has to artillery? If so, is there a way to make the "bombard" more or less accurate?
There's no set number you can adjust, so I guess that's been hard coded into the unit itself. Unless somehow it's been tied to some other setting. I've noticed that Artillery is much more accurate than a Catapult, but I can't see anything that would account for that in the editor.
Old March 13, 2002, 21:33   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zeh
if not ModAplied then
begin
Bombard := 'waste of time';
action := 'Build "real" units';
Result := 'Cities in pieces';
end;
LOL

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old March 13, 2002, 22:20   #7
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
Is it simply tied to the bombard strength? The higher powered bombards equally more accurate as they are stronger?

My cannon hit more often than my catapults, but I don't know if it's twice as much, or just chance.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 14, 2002, 00:02   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
One thing I've just noticed is that there's a big difference with the terrain types. My Catapults were missing constantly in the Jungle, but as soon as I was able to get them out onto grassland, I started hitting more than I missed.
Old March 14, 2002, 02:10   #9
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 16:41
if korn's results can be believed, it does a random check for what to target. Apparantly 1/3 chance of pop hit, 1/3 of building hit, 1/3 of unit hit, then it does another random chance with the defense of the pop point/building/unit to determine if it actually hits that.

In a city with no buildings and 1 pop 2/3s of your bombardments will automatically fail.
Old March 14, 2002, 02:16   #10
GePap
Emperor

like combat
I believe the bombard number works just the same as regular combat numbers- so ifbombard is 2, and the defender has base 2, plus bonuses that make it go up to 4, then its a 1/3 chance of hitting (this is for outside the city). The higger the bombard number, the more likely to hit. The higher the defense number, the lower chance to hit.

What I don't know is how it decides, when attacking a city, what i hit and when i hit.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 14, 2002, 03:20   #11
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 23:41
The logical thing (which is also mentioned here) would be that teh higher the bombardment factor, the higher the chance of a hit. However, my experience is that a battleship will miss a ground tile much more often than an artillery. Also, Korn showed in another thread (link ) that even though he upped the bombardment for bombers to 1000 they still missed pretty often. This was on a city, however, so it might be that the "hit something that can´t be hit"-rule comes into play here.
Old March 14, 2002, 10:39   #12
ahenobarb
Prince

So it sounds like in the logic of the game, the damage done by a unit and its accuracy are being treated as the same thing.

That is unfortunate, it would be nice if there were a way to make low damage, high accuracy bombards and low accuracy high damage bombards. So you could give a trieme "bombard" (Shooting arrows to the shore) that would have high accuracy (because its easy to aim a bow) but low damage, and a high damage catapult (relatively) that isn't very accurate (because those manning it can't see over the walls to know where to aim).

If anyone knows the mathematic formula that would be great. GePap and Whoha are correct I believe, but what would be nice is to find out mathematically why 2/3 bombardments fail when attacking a 1 pop, no building city, when there is a unit in the city.

Also, it would be nice if you could specify that a bombard won't apply to buildings in the city (say from the above trieme), or the population, but units only. Or that a catapult only applies to buildings.