Old January 10, 2001, 18:35   #1
bagdar
Warlord

Local Time: 02:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Newspaper Messages
In addition to the Diplomacy screen, Information pop-up messages in the form of newspaper titles in Civ I was great, and on top of the title, we had great examples of Humor, literally making fun of it all, by hilarious quotes by Attila, Pliny, etc. One thing I was dissapointed about Civ II when I first played it was that it looked too much like ordinary Windows software, in fact I resisted it for quite a while and went on playing Civ I obsessively. Civ I's atmosphere and humor is still peerless...
Old January 10, 2001, 22:06   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:42
Good idea. But perhaps it could just be a toolbar option; or one which you could turn off.
Old January 11, 2001, 15:34   #3
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Oh, yes. Definitely have an option to turn off all the atmospheric extras. But that doesn't mean get rid of them entirely. Keep things like the Throne Room or the Capital, and the High Council or Advisors, and the Newspaper reports, and the Wonder Movies. Those sorts of things add to the excitement and enjoyment of the game for new players. I mean, Civ III is going to have new rules that none of us have ever encountered before, and it will take a few days of gameplay to get used to them. Things like newspaper reports and animated units will keep the game fresh and new while we're figuring out how to really play effectively. Once we get better and start playing to win, we'll probably begin turning the extras off.

(The extras for Civ II were great. I hadn't played the game for a few months, and when I came back, I had fond memories the High Council.)
Old January 15, 2001, 20:24   #4
JosefGiven
Warlord

Local Time: 00:42
Blimey...This rings some bells...Haven't played Civ I in years!

Yeah, the old newspaper banners were great! I prefer the external views of the Palace as opposed to the throne room, as well.

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com
Old January 15, 2001, 20:31   #5
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
Yeah, I loved building my bizzare Roman/Indian/English palace!
Old January 16, 2001, 21:10   #6
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:42
There was a discussion about this a while ago. The idea was that the newspaper would evolve, first you would receive town criers, then scrolls, then newspapers, and finally an internet report.

A nice addition to the game that would help the game player and at the same time add an element of each time period.
Old January 19, 2001, 14:36   #7
wittlich

I am in complete agreeance - those bells and whistles (ie, News Articles, Throne Room, High Counsel) help keep the game fresh and humorous at times. Definately keep these options in CIV3. If a player doesn't want it, then he/she can turn the option off.